Friday 11 December 2020

Artful Dodgers

November was slowly creeping towards its end. For the last nineteen years, a bittersweet end indeed, as the 30th of November marks my late Mum's birthday. She would have been 85 this year. And even if I miss her more with each passing year - especially as more and more, it's her face that looks back at me when I look into the mirror - I can only be thankful that she and my Dad are spared these trying times. 

November's final days were a mixture of dull grey and sunny days, with the temperature slowly but surely making their descent into single figures.


Friday 27th of November fell into the former category, but with Jos's weather app declaring it would remain dry all day, we dressed up warmly and went for a bracing walk.

I topped my black floral dress with a vintage belted Tweed jacket, wrapped a red and purple scarf around my neck and plucked a burgundy beret from the hallway cabinet drawer. Oh, and finger-less gloves, I was wearing those too!

At first, we were well-behaved and kept to the paths, but then we decided to take a short cut, sinking ankle deep into a deep-pile carpet of leaves. 

Patches of fungi were scattered at our feet and colonizing the dead and decomposing tree branches half-buried among the crispy layer of brown foliage. 

We crunched and plodded onward, wondering where the abundance of leaves had come from. Then all was revealed when the relative quietness of the park was disrupted by the rumbling sound of machinery, as a leaf-blowing tractor was rounding a corner of the path we were heading towards. Drifts of swirling leaves were swept up from the paths and deposited in the clearings, where they indignantly lay down in haphazard heaps.



We walked away from the almighty noise and I sat down on a tree stump to recover. 

We were in the sculpture park, but so far we'd dodged the works of art, pretending we were in the middle of a forest, the leaf-blower rudely shattering our daydreams.


The leafless trees were silhouetted against the dull, sunless sky, displaying a tangle of tiny twigs. Some of the lucky ones were still proudly bearing red or yellow berries to temporarily make up for the loss of their foliage.

Embracing rather than dodging the sculptures by now, we were transfixed by the eerie apparitions in this shiny red ball (Yayoi by Corey McCorkle (USA), 2005).



Being in a reflective state of mind meant that we couldn't pass up the opportunity to turn into ghostly reflections at Belgian Funhouse, by artist Dan Graham (USA), 2004.


The massive untitled work (1993) by Danish artist Per Kirkeby, a brick-built cross between a maze and a castle ruin, offered the perfect sheltered place to show you what I was wearing underneath my jacket.

One of my long-sleeved black floral frocks had come out to play that day, accompanied by a red vinyl belt and a green, charity-shopped Mango cardigan adorned with a yellow hearted brooch.


Then I went one step further and turned into art within art, joining Young Girl Skipping by Robert Couturier (France), 1951, on the left and King and Queen by Henry Moore (UK), 1952-53, on the right.

I still need to think of a suitable title, but Mature Girl Acting Silly is a strong contender.

On our way back we were amazed to see this tree clothed in premature Spring blossom, juxtaposed with the golden yellow Autumn foliage of its neighbour. Fooled into flowering by nature's topsy-turvy behaviour, it was a freakish and disconcerting sight.




To tie in with the artfulness of this post, I was truly honoured to have been illustrated by my talented blogging friend Ivana in her post of last Sunday. Above you can see her fashion sketch and the inspiration side by side. Isn't it wonderful?


Bright sunshine cranked up the thermostat a couple of degrees on Saturday, briefly re-entering the double figures.

I'd been meaning to wear this black, blue, white and yellow tartan skirt for a while, so that morning, with plans afoot for another nature walk, I finally got around to it.

You'll be getting to see what I wore it with in a moment, but first up is my outerwear, consisting of a fur-collared teal new wool jacket, with a yellow beret and chunky knit yellow scarf to tie in with the yellow bits of the skirt.

On this sunny Saturday, we weren't the only ones making the most of the glorious weather, and had to artfully dodge quite a few fellow walkers, some of whom didn't seem to have grasped the concept of social distancing. Most of the time, it was up to us to step aside and politely wait until any oncoming traffic had passed, while the latter kept walking two or three abreast. At one point, I stepped out of the way so that a lady could safely walk past, but instead she walked straight into my direction. I'm sure this wasn't in the least intentional, but I was still inwardly seething.



We soon left the well-trodden paths and ventured between the trees, finding a suitable tree to lean my walking stick against, to be used as a clotheshorse for my jacket and scarf.

Here's the vintage blue and white flower patterned and diagonally striped blouse I teamed the skirt with, and the chunky cropped yellow cardigan I wore on top. Accessories were an orchid brooch and belt in caramel colours and a wood and metalwork necklace I found in the to-be-sold-on boxes.



While Jos was taking photos, he'd brushed against a small tree, its few remaining leaves turning out to be inhabited by tiny creepy crawlies, ending up with one of the leaves inside his duffel coat’s hood. 

We managed to remove most of the small fly-like creatures, but apparently not all of them, as he kept scratching his neck and back during our walk. Back at home, he stripped down and we found at least ten more the pesky creatures, most of them still very much alive!



November's final Sunday dawned dismal and chilly, with the temperature dropping to a mere 6°C.

It was another day of faffing about, catching up with blogland and finishing all of Lucinda Riley's 800 plus page blockbuster, The Sun Sister.

The dress I was wearing that day is another second-chancer plucked from the flea market boxes. 

What was I thinking? An old Think Twice find, its thick polyester and wool blend fabric kept the chills at bay all day, while its Art Deco style orange on blue print went a long way in boosting my mood.



I added more orange in the form of my opaques, belt, beaded necklace and vintage flower wreath brooch.

My blue ankle boots were only worn to step outside for photos, as I was in socks an slippers all day.




In spite of the greyness of the day, the garden was providing fireworks with the fiery red of the Cotoneaster leaves and berries and the last of the Gaillardia flowers.

And with that cheerful sight, I am putting November to bed. About time too, I should think, as we're heading towards Mid-December!

I hope you are all well and are sensibly keeping safe!



42 comments:

  1. It must be hard not having your mother around anymore. In Croatian we have a saying, while your mother is alive you have two hearts beating for you and when she's gone you only have your own. I'm always sorry I didn't have the chance to meet my husband's parents, he was the youngest child in his family and his parents married late because of WW2 so by the time the two of us met, they both long gone. Isn't it interesting how we tend to look more like our parents as years go by? I'm the spitting image of my father, but with year I'm starting to look more like my mother.
    That statue park has some wonderful art and statues. It must be big, I was almost fooled that it was a park. Your outfits are beautiful and stylish as always. I love your floral dress. The blue and yellow outfit is fantastic as well- I love that combination of colours. Thank you for including my illustration in your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivana! What a lovely saying, and so true too! I never had the chance to meet my husband's parents either. He too was the youngest child in his family, with his siblings all being a lot older. He is, in fact, the only one left of his family! xxx

      Delete
  2. The passing of our mothers always leaves a big hole in your heart.I am not like my mother in looks but carry many of her traits while my sister looks more like her every day.
    The statue park is wonderful , such an interesting spot for a walk. I too have an immense dislike for leaf blowers , be they small or large.
    All your outfits are so beautifully co-ordinated but I do love the blue checks and mustard together.
    Sending much love, take care. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jill! It's only in the last couple of years that I started seeing the resemblance. Leaf blowers are the devil, and utterly useless! xxx

      Delete
  3. Such lovely outfits; but I think my favourite was the plaid skirt with yellow cardi and beret. Blue and yellow are such a good combination of colours. I also loved your orchid brooch; it was beautiful.

    I loved the sculptures in the park; and poor Jos being eaten alive by bugs sounds horrible. With me it's usually spiky bits that get stuck in my socks: and I have pick them out one by one; but at least they're not alive!

    It's good to read a fat book now again - despite the wrist ache! I put my completed 800 plus pages of 'I Know This Much is True' out on the front wall to be collected by passers by; and it got so thoroughly drenched in overnight downpours that I had to put it into the recycling bin!

    Take care
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vronni! The plaid skirt outfit is getting a lot of love, it seems. I'm making a mental notation to wear it again soon. The orchid brooch is one of my favourites and doubles as a pendant. It's very delicate, though. The bugs were indeed not much fun. Even I was scratching by the time I got home! xxx

      Delete
  4. PS - Forgot to say how fabulous the sketch of you by Ivana was...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's wonderful, isn't it? I was very honoured! xxx

      Delete
  5. the blue&yellow look is my great favorite today!
    glad you take up walks, despite winter and stupid passers-by.... nature, espacially dotted with some art, is the best medicine for the nerves.
    stay warm and safe - dear ann! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beate, I must repeat that outfit as it seems to be everybody's favourite! I will never ever tire of that sculpture park, and I'm still living in hope to show you and the BW around one day! xxx

      Delete
  6. I like reading your posts, Ann, take me on walks in the nature that seems very far from the noise of the city .. I love that carpet of leaves and the tree with small pink flowers .. it is a poetic corner with that bench ... your clothes are always a source of inspiration, such as accessories, yellow scarf and cap on your plaid skirt and jacket. You wear a particular and beautiful brooch on your blue and orange dress ... beautiful photos !!Congratulations to Ivana for her design!
    Hugs, Carmela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your lovely comment, Carmela! That brooch on the blue and orange dress is one of my older ones, which doesn't come out to play very often. xxx

      Delete
  7. Oh Ann, I adore your orange and blue dress!

    Your 'Mature Girl Acting Silly' artwork gave me a chuckle. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jess, and I'm glad my artwork gave you a chuckle! xxx

      Delete
  8. I'm glad you saved that gorgeous dress! Those colors are so beautiful. I also love, said it before, the tweed blazer. Tweed on those colors are so awesome. So country feel, you know what I mean. Isn't it just strange and stupid that we always also are the ones who step aside our cycle begging each other when someone is passing by. And the opposite ones never do. Last year Gerben was not exactly behind my on the bicycle when a opposite couple cycled next to each other. It wasn't Corona time then. And Gerben and the man touched each other, that does sound weird, and the man fell. He was willing to fell before he was willing to just cycle in front or behind his wife to pass each other safely. Sometimes I don't understand people....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy! It is very strange indeed. I can't believe that couple kept cycling next to each other. People can be so utterly stupid, can't they? xxx

      Delete
  9. You fight the grey with colours as usual. It's a very cheer- and peaceful, but strong wappon. :-) All the best to you! xxx Regula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Regula, it's the only weapon I have! xxx

      Delete
  10. Amazing how insects can survive all sorts of cold weather-I'm still getting gnats in the house after a snow!
    The sculpture garden is always a delights when you share your visits with us, and your outfit that day is wonderful too.

    Not much can be done about oblivious people except try to stay out of their way even if they seem to have some sort of inner magnet drawing them to you. Stay safe and well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed some gnats here too! I guess it still hasn't been cold enough here. Oh, those oblivious people with their inner magnets! xxx

      Delete
  11. No you are art Ann, not silly acting :))
    Respect. You actually managed to make this gray time really colorful. You are an eyecandy ♥
    Thank you Ann, for these amazing pictures.
    With a very huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina, but sometimes acting a bit silly is the only way, isn't it? I don't mind at all, we cannot be serious all the time :-) xxx

      Delete
  12. Not one but two glorious walks, how fortunate you were with the weather! I always like your outfits but the yellow and blue combination is particularly lovely, you and Jos almost match!
    The sculpture park is always a joy, I love that ghostly image of you but not keen on the insect attack.
    Our Mums were the same age when they died, far too young. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily the insects turned out to be harmless, but still! Just the mere thought had me scratching too!
      So sorry to hear your Mum died as young as mine. I miss her more the older I get. xxx

      Delete
  13. Love that black dress as well as the yellow and blue combo.
    Happy Birthday to your mom.. the older we get the more we can relate to our parents. Sorry that she is not here anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad you've enjoyed some walks, kicking leaves! (despite the disgusting bugs, ugh) and looking so fab!.
    Love your belted tweed jacket and black floral dress, but my favourite is the blue&yellow ensemble. The skirt itself is a beauty, and it looks so fab with the yellow accessories and cardi and the lovely teal jacket!, looking gorgeous!
    And glad that you rescued this orange and blue dress from the donating box. Lovely orange tights and accessories look really vitaminic!
    Sending you hugs!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica! I can't imagine why I put that dress in the donating box in the first place! I love the word vitaminic! xxx

      Delete
  15. Aw, sorry to hear of your sadness and missing your mum. You can share mine, if you like (my mum). I find myself looking more and more like her as I age - I used to think that was a bad thing, but now I love that she is always with me, in my face.

    I love the pics of you in the leaves - how rude of the leafblower to intrude! I also really enjoy seeing pictures of the sculpture park - I wish we had one. I would also be part of your "Silly Girl" series!

    Your blue and yellow outfit with the matching plaid skirt is AWESOME, Ann! I love how cheery it is. I've got the willies just thinking of all those creepy crawlies going after Jos! Eek!

    I am glad you rescued that lovely dress! I find myself wondering what's in those bags for donation, but no, Sheila, you've gone through it all multiple times! Must behave!

    Have a good week, my dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you're so kind, Sheila! I used to think it was a bad thing too, but like you, now I love that I'm looking like her.
      I'm also loving the thought of a "Silly Girl" series. Will do some more next time we visit!
      I wonder if you resisted another look through those bags? xxx

      Delete
  16. how fun to walk through all those leaves - you just don't see that here in Brisbane, we don't really have a proper autumn season! I am loving the blue and yellow outfit with the tartan skirt too, it looks so good on you! :)

    Hope that you are having a great week! It's a wet and stormy one here, summer rains have arrived!

    Away From The Blue | Handbag Gift Guide

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I just love Autumn! I can't imagine not being able to do some leaf kicking! xxx

      Delete
  17. There's nothing to beat crunching through leaves on a sunny autumn day. You look just the part in that outfit.
    Being in nature helps at those pensive moments when we feel sad doesn't it?
    It's been a sunny day here today. Definitely winter now though. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pouring with rain as I type! I do love a leaf-kicking session, and being in nature always gives me so much solace, especially this year! xxx

      Delete
  18. Toujours élégante et créative. Une inspiration. J'adore.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is tremendously compassionate of you to think about the fact that those who passed prior to the pandemic did not have to endure this profoundly unforeseen year's many challenges and sorrows. I too have reflected on that point at times.

    It's heart-touchingly beautiful that you can see your mom's face in your own. Save slightly for a forehead shared amongst some members on my paternal side, I don't look the slightest bit like anyone I'm related to. I wish I did though, but clearly that genetic ship has long sailed.

    It is my steadfast hope, dear Ann, that as this year-that-feels-like-fifty draws to a close, serenity and wellness, happiness and festive cheer are yours in abundance. You are a sweet, terrific person and deserve no less.

    Autumn Zenith 🧡 Witchcrafted Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, what an utterly sweet and touching comment, Autumn! Thank you so much for your lovely words. They are truly appreciated! xxx

      Delete
  20. You do go on some lovely walks Ann and I always think how much you would love the Lake District and Yorkshire Sculpture Park. One day my friend, one day.
    That blue and mustard outfit really popped out the page at me. It’s a lovely colour combination on you.
    Take care both of you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those leaves look lovely and crunchy! It must be satisfying to scuff through them. And what fun to get a portrait of yourself?.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a good bout of leaf kicking and crunching. And I was very chuffed indeed to get that portrait! xxx

      Delete