Thursday 5 March 2020

Look back in wonder

I've got something to celebrate today and no, it's not my birthday! And as our wedding anniversary was back in February, it's not that either. Now, what can it be? Well, today it has been four years to the day that I published my first blog post!

Now I know that many of you have been blogging for much longer, and that four years might not be all that much in the grand scheme of things, but I already couldn't imagine my life without it.

Blogging has brought me so much pleasure. The pleasure to be able to share my passions, to keep a journal and mark the passage of time and, above all, the pleasure of getting to know so many wonderful people, whom I would otherwise never have met, some of them becoming real-life friends in the process.

In fact, the only regret I have is that I didn't take the plunge earlier, but that's me, forever dithering and thus always late to the party!


Since my blog doubles as a diary, I just love being able to look back and see what I was up to at certain moments in time. Before blogging, the years were all a bit of a blur. Some years, there wasn't even all that much photographic evidence apart from our holiday snaps! Or at least not until I bought my current camera and starting making collages, which initially I posted on Facebook.

As in this part of the world the weather is such a topic of conversation, it can be quite a revelation too, travelling back in time to a particular month last year only to find that the weather was in complete contrast to this year's.

Take the above photo, for instance, which appeared in a blog post last March but was actually taken at the end of February, when the temperatures were so balmy that I could comfortably pose in the park in just my dress without getting all goose-bumpy or rain-drenched!



So, in order to celebrate my Blogiversary, I scrolled through all of last year's posts, choosing some of my favourites from each month. Quite a daunting task, I must add, and my original shortlist was quite a long one, but in the end I managed to keep the photos to a fairly reasonable amount. 

Apart from the photos, there are a few favourite posts as well. How I loved writing (and re-reading) the story of the two coats in the attic which I published in March!


This collage, in which I'm wearing a floral skirt suit and my lilac Tweed jacket for a walk in the park in April, makes me yearn for Spring to finally arrive.



As does this photo, taken in the same month, where I'm twirling the full skirt of a favourite vintage dress. There was no need for a cardigan or coat on this day when we visited a local nature reserve and were captivated by carpets of wood anemones. My heart is making a little leap of joy as I remember exactly how I felt that day.



April also saw us going on our first short holiday of the year, staying at the B&B near Bruges. While we were there, we visited the charming little town of Damme, where I couldn't resist becoming one with a sea of daisies. Pure bliss, and so easily evoked by just looking at this photo.



In May, my blog reminds me of the fact that I got new glasses, my first pair of multifocals.  I took them for a test drive (or, more appropriately, walk) in the park, wearing an old floral skirt and blouse, both vintage, topped by a recently charity shopped orange velvet jacket. I'd almost forgotten about those pale pink booties! 



In June, we said goodbye to the parental home, to which I paid tribute by writing a farewell post full of bittersweet memories, one I simply cannot re-read without getting a little tear in my eye.

Here's me, wistfully descending my childhood home's magnificent stairs for the very last time. Sigh!



In the second half of June, we embarked on our annual UK holiday, which we spent in Shropshire and the Welsh borders. 

Starting as we meant to go on, we met up with Vix and Jon on our very first day. It was almost a given that a spot of charity shopping was involved! Can't wait to do it all again in a couple of months' time!



On one of the hottest days, we hopped over the border to Wales for a visit to Powis Castle. My outfit, consisting of a vintage waxed cotton wrap skirt and a top which was a sales bargain from New Look, might well be my favourite of the past year!


Another hot day saw us seeking shelter in a secret garden, a definite contender for a return visit. The dress I was wearing was a gift from Vix, while the hat was a cheeky buy from a National Trust shop right in the middle of Slow Fashion Season. 



July and August were months of extremes. First there was a heatwave, when we were melting in unheard of temperatures of +40° Celsius.

Even if it wasn't nearly that hot on the day we went to a rather disappointing outdoor flea market, we were still glad to be able to cool down in the park afterwards. I was wearing a blue flower-sprigged 1970s cotton frock accessorized with pops of red, another one that's in the running for favourite of the year.



July was followed by a partially rainy August. On the 15th of that month, a public holiday in Belgium, we briefly ventured outside between showers to photograph my 1980s inspired outfit. If only the skirt is vintage, everything else except for the ring was charity shopped. Don't you just love that crab bag?


Oh how I love the promise of the first day of a holiday! We had our usual sojourn in Belgium's west country in the first week of September, and here I am soaking up the afternoon sun on the steps of Poperinge's town hall, wearing a King Louie dress I'd found at the charity shop only a few days previous.


Our holiday was a mixture of sunshine and showers, but Summer made a brief return when we were back home, prompting a walk in a shady park wearing a € 2 Think Twice find and a pink plastic chain necklace converted into a belt. The first signs of Autumn could no longer be ignored, though.


The second half of September was very wet so we anxiously kept an eye on the weather forecast as we had plans for a day trip to Bruges on Jos's birthday. The weather gods must have been looking out for us, as it remained virtually dry that day, with even a hint or two of sunshine!



Ah, October! The time to indulge in Autumn walks and a bit of leaf-kicking. But not this year, as the rains returned with a vengeance after that one-off day on Jos's birthday.

Then finally one weekend it stopped raining for long enough to go for a stroll - and hug some trees - wearing a dress which had been on Think Twice's rails for only 30 seconds before I grabbed it.



November saw us cat-sitting the delightful Abby, who had no problem stealing  my limelight ...



... and going for another little holiday in Zeeland, where I was finally able to kick some leaves in the abbey courtyard in Middelburg ...



... and go for a bracing walk by the seaside in fashionable Domburg!


Looking back, I seem to have been wearing a lot of red in December, which was purely coincidental and had nothing to do with the approaching silly season. This grey and raspberry red dress, another Think Twice find, got its very first outing.


But it was almost a given that I wore green too, especially when years of being patient finally paid off and a pair of green boots came my way. This dark olive green and pink flapper inspired outfit is another one of my favourites. 



Those of you who have been following my blog for a while will know that I love green, so it will come as no surprise that I picked it as the main colour of my New Year's Eve outfit.  It was based around a wide Scandi print maxi skirt, which had many admirers, both on the blog and on Instagram, which I'd joined in a moment of madness back in June.


We've reached 2020 by now, and the final posts of my 4th blogging year. I'll be brief here, as it wasn't all that long since I posted them. 

It was a cold but reasonably dry January day when I wore this pleated dress, fur collared jacket and pink feathery scarf for a charity shop rummage. The yellow snake print handbag was an irresistible sales bargain. Oh, don't tell me you wouldn't have been tempted too!



Another Saturday in January, and feeling the warmth of the sun on my face was a delight after the endless succession of grey rainy days. 

On this crisp sunny day we walked to the beautiful ruin of Sleeping Beauty's castle amid a juxtaposition of Autumn and Spring.



A final January outfit, again featuring green with a generous dollop of pink, was based around this stripy pussy bow dress, which again had many admirers. 


I'm concluding this round-up of my blogging year with our 25th Wedding Anniversary in February which, as you'll probably remember, we celebrated with a couple of days at our favourite B&B near Bruges.

And while looking back has been a rollercoaster of emotions, I cannot wait to fill the still empty pages of a new blogging year.

A big thank you to all my readers and followers ❤❤❤ 

I hope you will be joining me on my journey through year 5!


50 comments:

  1. Happy blogaversary! It's great you have been blogging for so long, it's nice you are able to look back on the time and pull up some of your stylish moments from the past year :)

    Hope that your week is going well :)

    Away From Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mica, starting my blog is one of the best things I ever did! xxx

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your blogoversary, Ann! Mine was 4 years in November and I completely forgot about it

    What a lovely round up of blog posts and what an astonishing collection of dresses - and the odd skirt - you have! And of course the lovely berets, tights,jewellery and bags which add that touch of panache to each outfit.

    Here's to many more blogging years!

    Hope you have a great weekend and that it's not too wet and cold; I think ours will be.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vronni, so we only started blogging a couple of months apart! xxx

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful post! I feel with you, blogging is a good way to share passion. I like it is an art of diary.
    Happy blogyversary Ann, I love follow your amazing blog.❤️
    a very huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy blogversary. I enjoy reading your blog very much. I am a lover of green too, am still envious of your fabulous green boots! I am also waiting (impatiently) for Spring to arrive. Some trees have a little blossom here so maybe it won't be long. A weekend without rain would be welcome! Best regards, Carole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Carole, so glad you enjoy reading my blog! xxx

      Delete
  5. Happy anniversary! Glad your blog brings you happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are some lovely memories (and outfits) here Ann. Congratulations on four years of blogging, here's to many more!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy blogversary. Lovely to look through your photos. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sally! I love it that we are staying connected through Instagram! xxx

      Delete
  8. Happy anniversary, Ann to you and your wonderful blog. It's such a great way of keeping a journal. I'm so glad to have found you; viewing and reading about your beautiful outfits and travels has been a delight. Your choice of favourites is amazing! Nice to see Vix making an appearance in your selection too. Another very stylish woman. Looking forward to many more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww Suzy, thank you so much! I'd been reading Vix's blog for ages before I started mine, so I still can't believe we met in real life several times already! xxx

      Delete
  9. Happy Blogiversary! I am very, very glad to know you through your blog so I am delighted you started! Your blog is a great source of joy- through your excellent prose, ebullient photos, wonderful knowledge of Vintage and joy of nature! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kezzie, what a lovely comment! xxx

      Delete
  10. Happy Blogiversary! What a lovely collection of memories, outfits and travels! Here's to lots more years. XXX

    ReplyDelete
  11. congrats to the blog-anniversary!
    and thanks for this colorful album of yesterdays posts.... life is gorgeous - is´t it!?
    :-D
    tons of hugsies! <3 xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beate! Yes, indeed, life is gorgeous, although I could do without the threat of the virus right now! xxx

      Delete
  12. Congratulations on 4 years of blogging! What an achievement. Blogging takes much time and energy and is quite rewarding, so you should be proud of your fantastic effort.

    I love your leopard coat and will have to visit your post about the two coats in the attic, which sounds interesting. The photo of you surrounded by daisies is so beautiful.

    You went to the UK and met Vix?! Two of my fav bloggers in one photo – woo! Now I’m looking forward to your posts about your upcoming trip. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jess! I know, wasn't I lucky to meet Vix in real life? xxx

      Delete
  13. Happy Blogaversary! Here's to many more!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on your fourth blogging anniversary. It has been lovely getting to know you through your blog. I always enjoy your posts. This recap is so nice, so many wonderful moments captured. One of the perks of blogging is definitely being able to look back and remember happy moments and memories.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Anniversary from Thunder Bay Ann! I'm so glad you keep posting your wonderful outfits. Always brightens my day. From fellow ditherer, ThriftyParka.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, fellow ditherer :-) So glad to see you here again! xxx

      Delete
  16. I think pink is my favourite colour. But I LOVE your green tighs. I wish you lots of spring-like days. Regula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Regula! There aren't many colours I don't love, and I particularly love pink and green combined! xxx

      Delete
  17. Happy Blogging anniversary! I can't believe it's been four years, doesn't time fly?
    A lovely round up, some fabulous outfits and I can't wait till we meet up in the Summer. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix! I know, that went fast! Keeping everything crossed that we can meet up in the Summer, although things do seem a bit bleak at the moment :-( xxx

      Delete
  18. My sweet, beautiful and endlessly inspiring friend, happiest blogiversary wishes to you! It's hard to believe that we first meet mere months before my previous site was retired and that we're now, more than three years later, connecting again via my new blog. That makes my heart smile something fierce!

    I hugely admire that you've continued blog in the face of the ever changing (and, in some niches at least, dwindling) blogging sphere. While blogging has certainly changed in recent years, I for one do not think it is on its last legs. It's just evolving and figuring how to coexist with the online behemoth that is social media. Hopefully those of us who have been bloggers for multiple years now can help ensure that it holds its own no matter what. I adore this medium and really hope I'm able to engage with it again for ages to come.

    Just as I hope you're able to blog as often and for as long as your heart desires. You are such a bright spot in this community and I'm truly happy to follow your site.

    Here's to the next four years and beyond!

    Autumn Zenith 🎃 Witchcrafted Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much my lovely friend. I'm so glad that we managed to stay in touch. You have often been in my thoughts, Autumn. xxx

      Delete
  19. Congrats on your blogging anniversary. This is such a lovely recap.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy blogoversary, Ann! I've loved following along for the past couple of years, and thoroughly enjoyed your recap of the year. I so agree: having a blog means that I have a full record of all of the fun times, outfits and adventures that I've been through on my life. I can't imagine a life without it.

    So, here's to you, my dear friend! May you blog long and true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sheila! I couldn't imagine life without it either and now, at this particular moment in time, it is a true life saver! xxx

      Delete
  21. Happy blogeversary!!
    So many wonderful looks.. I really love that green skirt with the birds on it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm really late but still wishing you a happy blogoversary!. Looking forward to read more from you!
    And such a lovely post, I do love a recap with some selected items, with lots of colorful outfits and some remembrances too!.
    besos & felicidades

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never mind being late, Monica! It's me who is late with replying. Life seems to have gotten in the way, as I'm sure you'll know more than anyone! xxx

      Delete
  23. Happy Blogiversary, Ann! What a fabulous milestone to reach and celebrate! Your colourful outfits and poetic writing, never fail to put a smile on my dial! :) Here's to many more years of your blog! XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely comment, Sasha, thank you so much! xxx

      Delete
  24. Happy Blogingversary! Here's to many more years. xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy blogoversary! I will NEVER get tired of seeing that green New Year's Eve skirt. You own loads of amazing clothes, but that may well be my favourite piece of yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mim! I'll have to wear that skirt again very soon, it seems! xxx

      Delete