Saturday 28 March 2020

Everything depends upon how near you stand to me

Like a virus, fear is contagious. Perhaps even more so. It spreads like wildfire, as neither social distancing nor quarantine can stop it. It worms its way inside your head until the outside world feels like an alien country full of potential predators. It eats you up and then spits you out in tiny little pieces: a jigsaw of what once upon a time was you. Several pieces seem to be missing so that you cannot make yourself whole again. Fear makes you want to flee - which is virtually impossible in this current crisis - or fight. But it seems you're fighting against giants. Only when you realize they are actually windmills will your heartbeat finally slow down.

So I'm giving the middle finger to all those who are kindling fear with gloating gusto. I'll be banishing their black-hearted messages by wearing colour. Lots and lots of it, so there! I do hope this will make them crawl back under their rocks! And as for those at the other end of the scale, who still haven't got the message and keep putting others at risk with wanton abandon: may you all be turned into pillars of salt.

But even if things are looking bleaker than ever, and if I certainly do not always feel like practising what I'm preaching: we mustn't give up, and keep on aiming for that light at the end of the tunnel.


The 16th of March was the start of our first week of semi-lockdown and the day of my last journey by public transport. Schools had closed, so that I was absolutely fine in the morning, having an unprecedented amount of space on the tram. 

I was wearing a seldom worn red vintage dress liberally sprinkled with blue and white crescents. There are blue and white stripes at its yoke as well, which has three buttons proudly bearing an R. The R is short for Romy, as that's the name mentioned on the dress's label, which is also bearing a picture of the Eiffel Tower, giving it a certain je ne sais quoi.

The dress's classic red, blue and white colour scheme was reflected in my choice of accessories, as well as my cardigan and tights. Even my blue ankle boots came out to play!


Back to that fateful Monday. Non-essential shops were still open - they would be forced to close for the duration on the 18th - and by midday it was fairly crowded in the city centre. I fled back to the office in disgust when, out for a breath of fresh air, I was almost overrun by people carrying Primark shopping bags. People who obviously had to go home when I did. That evening, Jos and I made the wise decision that he would take me to work and pick me up again by car, which went a long way in reducing the fear factor.


Our car journey to work takes us past Antwerp's botanical garden. In spite of this being a less than ten minute walk from my office, I hadn't been there in years, so on Tuesday I took advantage of the gorgeous springlike weather to head there during lunch break.

There were only a handful of people about, all keeping the appropriate distance and, after walking around to see what was in bloom, I sat on a empty bench luxuriating in the sunshine and indulging in a couple of minutes of normality.


Apart from plants, there's some art dotted around the garden. These are by sculptor Monique Donckers, and called "Greening II". When I was looking it up on the Internet, I came across some photos taken in Summer, when grass was allowed to grow around them, almost obscuring the last one. I'll have to go and photograph them again in a few months' time, hoping that by then all of this is only a bad memory.


This is another of that week's outfits. Now that the days are getting longer there is once again opportunity to take outfit photos after work.

This classically shaped, box pleated frock, with its green flowers on a white and mottled green background, was another one which was long overdue an outing. I chose a medley of red and burgundy to accompany it. 

I didn't feel like venturing out again during lunch break that week. To be honest, I was finding the routine utterly exhausting: putting on latex gloves to take the elevator to the ground floor and opening the building's front door, then getting rid of the gloves and get out the hand sanitizer, and then having to do it all again coming back in. As I was once again putting on gloves, I started humming the song Hand in Glove by The Smiths, stopping short when I came to the line which became the title of this post. How very, very apt. Never mind that it is preceded by the line "we can go wherever we please"! 



Saturday dawned bright and sunny, even if a stinging wind did its best to throw a spanner in the works.  I was feeling surprisingly chipper that day, which was greatly helped by wearing one of my favourite ever frocks. The green 1940s style dress with its blowsy flower print originally had cheap looking plain white buttons which once again I replaced with more likely candidates from my stash.


In my opinion, blue and green should certainly be seen, so I added a sky blue cardigan, squirrel brooch and ring to accompany the blue flowers in the dress's print.

Further accessories were a tan belt and translucent beaded necklace, and I pinned a Welsh daffodil brooch to my cardigan in honour of the first day of Spring.

Teal opaques and my snake print ankle boots completed my outfit. The latter were only worn for the photos, though. 


When the rays of the sun started pouring into our little walled garden, I exchanged my outfit for an old pair of jeans, pale yellow top and denim gardening apron for a spot of heavy duty pruning.

We cleared an area of some of the rampant ivy and the dried remains of last year's ferns, and pruned our winter jasmine within an inch of its life. 

Having lost our winter flowering Clematis armandii, as well as its host plant, our long suffering lilac, there's not much in flower yet, apart from the yellow flowers of our ineradicable Ranunculus bush and the frothy sprays of white Spirea flowers.



Our cast iron weather vane appeared from under a mound of ivy, and I accidentally knocked our stone sun plaque from our garden wall. No harm done, though, and she, as well as the weather vane, are currently awaiting new spots.

Meanwhile, Jos had been tackling the remains of the dead lilac, so that we can now see the shed at the back of our garden from our kitchen window. I'd almost forgotten the makeshift gingham curtain and the row of wooden tulips I put up many years ago to cheer things up.



Still in a good and productive mood, I then put away my warmest Winter coats and dresses, exchanging them for the first batch of Spring stuff, a task made much lighter with the help of you know who!


We'd intended to continue in the garden on Sunday but, although it was looking gorgeously sunny, the wind had turned decidedly icy and unpleasant, which kind of put paid to our plans.

In the end, we only stepped into the garden to show you my outfit, which was based around another dress I hadn't worn in years. 

It's a handmade one, with three-quarter sleeves with elasticated cuffs, and a slightly psychedelic flower print in orange, lilac and purple on a white background.



I pulled out all the stops by accessorizing it with a purple woven belt, a fuchsia cardigan to which I clipped a row of flower hair clips, a multi-coloured wooden necklace, and an enameled Iris brooch pinned to my dress's collar.

I was wearing the ankle wellies I picked up at a charity shop back in December and which have been a godsend for my gardening activities.

In the week that followed, I had quite a few wobbles, and as it now seems that starting from next week I will be on reduced hours, I will have to find a new routine to keep my mind out of mischief. 

Meanwhile, I wish you all well, and hope to see you in my next post!

Linking to lovely Nancy's Fancy Friday!


48 comments:

  1. I think many of us are having a few wobbles. There are some idiots out there who are being incredibly reckless. But then there are so many good people too doing positive things. Keep the outfits coming, they are always inspiring. Stay safe x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sarah! I'm doing my best to keep the outfits coming. Stay safe! xxx

      Delete
  2. your outfits never fail to cheer me up!
    wonderful!!!
    cats and wardrobes and textiles - a neverending game :-D and is´t it exiting to do some changes in the garden - guessing how it will look in summer or next year?!
    you are a brave girl! chapeau my dear! i´m sure you will find enough occupations for the hours at home.
    biggest hugs! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beate! I have to say that Phoebe is being a good girl, only looking not touching :-) I have so many things lined up that I won't be bored for many month - heaven forbid! xxx

      Delete
  3. First of all, big virtual hugs to you - it sounds like a very stressful week, my dear, Ann, there, there (*pats your shoulder reassuringly*).

    You have outdone yourself on your outfits! Your red and blue is so cheery and bright - the little Rs are adorable on the buttons. I love that art work in the park - how amazing! I would love to see that in different seasons.

    Your blue and green outfit is like a waft of a spring breeze! Those particular shades are so lovely together - excellent choice of button colour to replace white (why??), and I'm charmed by your squirrel pin.

    Phoebe is working hard, I see. That lilac jacket is so appealing - what a colour!

    The purple, orange and white outfit made me gasp! Wonderful colours! I like the hair pins on the collar and that iris pin (we're seeing irises start to spike). I admire all your garden work, but it makes me exhausted to think about. This is why all my plants are dead.

    Have a good weekend, my dear. Deep breaths, tea and quiet time. We're entering a whole new world, but we are strong! Laugh in the darkness! Wear colour in the gloom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the virtual hugs, Sheila! I don't know what I would do without my blogging pals to keep me sane! I wore the lilac jacket yesterday, so you'll see me wearing it soon! xxx

      Delete
  4. You've done a fantastic job with your outfits dear. I love the first combo most of all, the combination of red and blue is so stunning. Kudos to you for staying positive in these crazy times. Fear does have the power to get the better of us so we must resist it and keep our wits about us. I will stop again tomorrow for a closer look at your beautiful vintage dresses. Right now I'm a big teary eyed from staring at the screen all day making PowerPoint presentations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivana, I can understand you're exhausting, as not just your life, but your job too has changed almost beyond recognition. Stay safe, and sane, my friend! xxx

      Delete
  5. Your outfits create cheer even if you weren't feeling it totally. I am glad you managed to get some good fresh air in Antwerp's park even if you didn't do it again. It must have been comfortint for Jos to take you to work. When I have to return to work, I will have to go by two trains as well as cycling which I am not looking forward to.I've felt much safer being in my own house away from other people.
    Sending you hugs.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kezzie! How horrible that you have to take public transport during this scary time. Hopefully the trains are not as full as usual, so that you can keep your distance! xxx

      Delete
  6. You're right -- fear and anxiety are the enemy. Love the cute outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is stressful, but you're doing great. I'm happy you won't be taking public transport for a while with so many people taking dangerous risks.

    Your wooden tulips reminded me of similar ones I had years ago on the farm. No idea what became of them-for all I know they're still there!

    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Goody, I wouldn't want to take public transport now, as I've been hearing horror stories from friends! I totally forgot about those wooden tulips! xxx

      Delete
  8. I love how your outfits are so colourful, even with all the doom and gloom around! I particularly like the first red dress with the blue :) It's nice you had the option of being driven into work. With my husband's company being sent to work from home before mine we were having the tough conversations (as I'd have to take public transport, with my knee injury I can't drive into and out of the city multiple times a week). Thankfully the advice was once again changed and we were told we would all be working from home indefinitely. I did leave some food and hand sanitiser in my locker at work, not knowing I wouldn't be back for it, so I hope we aren't to stay at home too long! Who knows what the future holds.

    Hope that you are having a nice weekend :) It's another quiet one at home here.

    Away From Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mica! I'm glad you are both able to work from home. Who knows what the future holds, indeed. I try not to think about it too much ... xxx

      Delete
  9. I'm glad you're opting for loads and loads of Cheerful Color during this dark time of Pandemic. It is uplifting and so Positive! With Sheltering in Place I haven't had much desire to get dressed at all, but Fashionable Bloggers like yourself have been an Inspiration to... Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment! I'm flattered to have been an inspiration! xxx

      Delete
  10. Oh colourful outfits...yes....yes... ❤️ I am in love with this Prilflowerdress. You know the advertisement in TV for dishwashing liquid Pril?
    Have a good time Ann, take care. A very huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina, I don't think we had Pril here, but I googled it ;-) I will be wearing a dress with ever more Pril flowers in one of my next posts! xxx

      Delete
  11. I love the garden shots, I'm finding my garden so good for my sanity.
    Its lovely to see you in your colourful outfits and I'm imagining you singing hand in glove. We keep coming up with situation appropriate songs and there are so many! Staying positive is vital isn't it. I'm wishing you peace of mind and stay well. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sally! The most unexpected lyrics often pop up in my head without warning. There are indeed many appropriate ones. xxx

      Delete
  12. Well, thanks for that Smiths earworm!
    Even if you weren't feeling it, you've certainly lifted the gloom with your colourful outfits. What better way to deal with these trying times than adorning ourselves in brilliant hues?
    Your garden is going to be so tidy by the Summer, I'm so thankful for having outside space when so many haven't.
    Your wardrobe looks so inviting and fabulous, as does your glamorous assistant.
    Love the garden photos, when it stops snowing I'll be back in mine!
    Loads and loads of love! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think you'd mind :-) I really can't imagine living in a flat right now. Our garden may be small, but it's still a little sanctuary. We did another session today, and we've made progress. But soon we will need plants ... xxx

      Delete
  13. I think most of us are having wobbles and how difficult for you to have to keep going into work. I'm quite thankful that I can work from home and don't have to keep using public transport.

    I particularly love the red dress, I think it is very nautical. I love the green and blue too.

    How amazing is that sculpture, here's to happier times very soon so you can go back and see it again at leisure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gisela. It's not entirely impossible for me to work from home, but I would only be able to do certain things, as we're not exactly paperless. But my hours have been reduced and I only have to go in 2 days a week now! xxx

      Delete
  14. Loving your fun, colorful dresses.
    Like you say fear is most contagious. We have been in partial lockdown for a week and last night there was looting in a small supermarket.
    I am still in awe at how our lives have changed in a matter of days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lorena. Looting sounds horrible. But we cannot give in to fear! xxx

      Delete
  15. How right you are that fear is the enemy. I think we've all had our moments of despair. I'm glad to report that people here are finally taking this seriously and are staying indoors - the streets are bare.

    I'm happy to hear Jos is driving you in to work. I imagine the people who still have to rely on public transport must be a shackle of nerves.

    It's good to see you out and about in your garden. I, too, have been trimming my roses and doing a general tidy up. I'm finding it quite therapeutic, although I'm not going to lie, my energy is very zapped at the moment and everything seems to be a struggle. Thank God I have my daughters who are working from home and giving me a hand.

    You've stumped me on my favourite outfit this week - I can't choose, they're all very pretty. Thankyou for giving us these images to feast our eyes. Lastly, good on you for doing the seasonal change-over of outfits ready for spring/summer. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suzy! I have a friend who still has to take public transport every day, and she's a nervous wreck! Still have a way to go with the seasonal change-over. Like you, my energy is very zapped. Today was a good one, and we've done another session in the garden. The weather was too good to remain indoors! xxx

      Delete
  16. Fear is a terrible thing. I can certainly empathise with you.
    I'm glad you're cheering yourself up with bright outfits and gardening. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jess! These are certainly times when I'm glad I do not have a minimalist wardrobe ;-) xxx

      Delete
  17. Gardens the world over are going to be so lovingly tended over the coming weeks. I have to say I rather love your garden apron, I might need to find myself something similar, I'm far from a tidy gardener, I never manage to stay particularly clean.
    Your outifts are wonderful, I've been drawn to colour when getting dressed too but my outfits are not nearly as cheerful as yours - I'm going to have to up my game!
    Take care Ann
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hazel! That gardening apron has been well used over the years. Both Jos and me have one, but as it was one size only, mine is a maxi ;-) xxx

      Delete
  18. Bless you dear friend for keeping up appearances and being a shining star.
    Take good care of yourselves and know we are sending our love to you both.
    Lynn & Philip xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much my lovely friend. I do hope you are both well. Sending love to you both! xxx

      Delete
  19. I love seeing all of your colourful and fabulous outfits, Ann! I especially love the orange and purple floral dress! Hope you, Jos and Phoebe stay happy and healthy! Take care. XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sasha, and do keep yourself and your family safe! xxx

      Delete
  20. What lovely outfits and accessories, Ann. So colourful and cheerful - you couldn't fail to cheer us up!

    It's lovely to get out in the garden; I enjoyed my foray last week too and will do it again when the icy wind and rain go away...

    Hopefully, you'll have more time to read now, Ann. I am worrying about charity shopping withdrawal symptoms though...

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vronni. I thought I'd have charity shopping withdrawal symptoms, but so far I'm OK with that. I actually love having more time to read! xxx

      Delete
  21. Love that green dress! As ever, you bring a lovely pop of colour to our days!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Firstly, I love your red dress, its print and buttons, and also love the fab color combo!, such joyous colors and lovely accessories!
    Your outfits are a feast for the eyes!. Love your green dress and blue cardi, and totally agree that this is a fab color combo. No wonder this is one of your favourite dresses!. Loving particularly the squirrel brooch and daffodil brooch, so cute!.
    You're looking really busy, working in the garden and doing some season switching in your wardrobe (with a cute helper!).
    And I love your orange and purple printed dress, and love how you styled it so brilliantly!. And obviously, love your enamel brooch, so beautiful!
    Glad that you're not going to take the public transport, as it makes things safer and less stressful!.
    Dressing up and looking at your fabulous outfits is making me feel accompanied and so much better!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Monica! I'll only have to go in to work 2 days a week now, so less fear, and plenty of time for gardening, reading, and switching over my wardrobe, which is far from finished. Like you, I'll keep getting dressed up, though! xxx

      Delete
  23. Now that's the spirit, dear Ann! Whether it's through the clothes we wear, the attitudes and sentiments we put forth online, how we treat others, or any number of other things, being positive and vibrant - when realistically possible and appropriate - is an inspiring and important must right now. Major kudos to you for doing just that and for reminding us all to slip into some punchy threads these days!

    Autumn Zenith 🎃 Witchcrafted Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Autumn. Whatever happens, they cannot take away my joy in dressing colourfully! xxx

      Delete
  24. I'm sorry to hear you've had a few wobbles - you're certainly not alone in that. The fear gets to us all at some point or another, I think.

    I'm glad to see all your lovely outfits, and that your gardening is progressing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mim! I've had less wobbles this past week, but I'm sure the fear will get to me again at some point! xxx

      Delete