Sunday 1 March 2020

Dennis the Menace

We'd only just waved goodbye to cantankerous Ciara, when another storm came knocking on our door. His name was Dennis, and like his cartoon counterpart, he turned out to be a real menace.

There was no sign of him on Saturday during the day, though, which was mainly dry, so that we could nip into the garden for outfit photos before our guests arrived. We were expecting the lady I briefly mentioned in a previous post, who would come all the way from Holland with her husband to buy some of my stock of vintage clothing.


My outfit was a repeat of earlier that week because, yes, in spite of owning a massive wardrobe, I still do wear most of my clothes more than once, though preferably not two days running!

I'd fallen in love with the raspberry red dress with its print of white and yellow dots and dashes at Episode, a Dutch chain of vintage shops, early last year.

I love its fit and flare silhouette and, of course, those cute berry shaped buttons. The yellow bits in the print invite it to be accessorized with yellow, which I did in abundance.



My favourite, round-buckled, yellow belt made another appearance, and I wore one of my yellow beaded necklaces as well as a yellow and white swirled glass ring.

And I wore not one, but two brooches! While the yellow plastic bird is contemporary, the brooch I pinned to my - yellow! - cardigan is definitely vintage. Not only does the lady depicted on it have a 1940s hairstyle, the brooch actually is 1940s, and of the make do and mend variety, as the lady has been hand painted onto a scrap of black fabric.


That night, Mr. D. started taunting us with fierce gusts of wind, which had increased in intensity by the morning. But we had things to do and places to go, in particular February's edition of our favourite indoor flea market.

The temperatures were once again balmy so, even if the stormy weather did away with any thoughts of Spring, I wore one of my lighter weight Winter coats. The cream based coat, with its light blue and tan plaid pattern, has been a wardrobe stalwart for many years and is, in spite of telltale signs of being on its last legs, still getting regular outings. It was a charity shop find and although I can't remember what I paid for it, it can't have been much, so that its cost per wear is now definitely in the negative.



Same goes for the purple embroidered crushed velvet scarf I picked up at a flea market for € 0,10 five or six years ago.

Underneath the coat, I wore a psychedelic print dress, with shades of orange, lilac, turquoise and burgundy, one of last Winter's Think Twice finds. For my accessories, I had a wealth of colours to choose from, ultimately picking turquoise for my opaques, necklace and ring.


Turquoise was repeated once more in the brooch I pinned to my cardigan. Again, the brooch is contemporary, bought from the same shop as the yellow bird brooch worn with Saturday's outfit.

My cardigan, in a rich chocolate brown edged in yellow, was a charity shop find, while the mock croc belt in the same colour was a recent retail sales bargain.


At the flea market venue, we parked our car as far away from any trees as possible, in case Dennis would do his worst, thinking we'd better be safe than sorry! Then, while holding on to our hats, we made our way towards the entrance.

It is almost a given that we didn't leave the flea market empty handed. With so many wonderful and often quite affordable goodies on offer, it would be very difficult not to give in to temptation.

So let's start with a group photo as usual.



When I posted this photo on Instagram, Suzy asked me what the item on the right was, and I'm sure some of you might be intrigued as well, so I'm no longer leaving you in suspense.


It is a vintage Dutch enamelware tabletop stove, which is fuelled by kerosine, and is typically used for slow cooking stews and the like. They usually command much higher prices than the € 6 we paid for it and, although we are using it purely for decorative purposes, it is complete and still in working order, only needing a bit of TLC. Doesn't it look lovely with our vintage enamelware teapot?



We'd hardly walked in when I spotted this wicker, leather-handled handbag. I dithered over it while Jos briefly returned to the car to retrieve something we'd forgotten, until the seller took pity on me and let me have it at a reduced price. Who was I to say no then?


Another addition to our accidental Kodak Brownie collection joined us about half way through the market.

This one, which is in perfect condition with hardly a scratch on its moulded bakelite body and still packed away inside its original box, is a Kodak Brownie Hawkeye camera. It was very popular back in the 1950s, and sold like hot cakes for over a decade.  Its first version, which ran from 1949 to 1951, was a non-flash model. Ours, although it does not include a flash as such, cleary is the second version, which ran until 1961.




I love trawling the Internet for vintage advertising, so here's one I'd like to share with you.


And oh, go on, here's another one, in colour this time!

The small box decorated with morning glories is an empty jewellery box from a long-gone Antwerp jewellery shop, which was really far too pretty to be left behind. It was picked up from Rita's stall, where I also found one of this edition's batch of brooches.



A clear case of "my nan used to have one of those", I pounced on this € 2 celluloid figurine of a Japanese lady in a rikshaw being pulled by a barefoot man wearing a parasol-like hat. Speaking of parasols, the poor lady is sadly missing hers, which is probably why we got if for such a low price.

And yes, there was a very similar one living on my paternal grandparents' sideboard!


I did rather well on the brooches front, finding five out of seven for € 12 at the same stall, presided over by a lady who always engages me in a rather lengthy and mostly one-way chat, while I'm trying to keep my wits about browsing her table full of costume jewellery.



The plastic top hat and boater, the umbrella and the Autum leaf all came from that particular stall, as did the tiny pair of clogs, while the Paris souvenir brooch was the one I bought from Rita.

And oh, isn't the shrimp one unusual? This came from a random stall in one of the final aisles.


The pair of tiny clogs, which sadly came without its brooch pin, is actually a Bruges souvenir, with the clog on the right displaying the city's coat of arms and the one on the left having a picture of the belfry.

Now, all I need to do is find a pin to attach them to ...




I photographed all our treasures while trying to ignore pesky Dennis, who was making the windows and shutters rattle and generally making an almighty racket outside.

Thankfully, no damages were sustained, but my heart goes out to all those people who have been flooded in the UK, and in particular in our beloved Shropshire. 

Dry weather, preferably with a bit of sunshine, is desperately needed!



41 comments:

  1. Two fabulous frocks! Loving both the red and yellow and the orange and turquoise, very cheerful and Spring-like.
    That 10p scarf is lovely!
    Mu nan had one of those ornaments, too - there was a real fascination for Chinoiserie back then, wasn't there?
    The prawn brooch is a hoot, I love the new Kodak camera and that Antwerp jewellery box is a beauty.
    The tabletop cooker is fab, I love old enamel kitchenware, in fact I have the identical teapot to yours (mine's in the garden planted with succulents.
    Hope Jorge isn't battering you this weekend, I didn't think we'd have any trees left last night! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a huge fan of old enamel kitchenware as well. We'd even have much more of it if our kitchen was any bigger! Hope Jorge didn't cause too much damage at yours, he seemed to have spared us! xxx

      Delete
  2. i looove the shrimp brooch! very cool!
    and i will copy your red & yellow look - it looks fabulous. i only need to find a yellow cardi which is a rare bird around here....
    the little stove is a great find, especially in this pristine condition. perfect with your teapot :-D
    thank goodness dennis did no damage to dove cottage! ....and could´t made it to us!
    hugsies! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beate! You'll have to email me your size, so that I can look out for a yellow cardi for you! xxx

      Delete
  3. I wish I could find a basket bag similar Ann. The one you have is gorgeous. The storms have been terrible here in the Uk. I lost two of mums plant pots and that really upset me xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laurie! Sorry to hear about your Mum's plant pots, I can understand you were upset! xxx

      Delete
  4. This weather has just been the worst, all over the world, it seems like!

    I love your red and yellow outfit, and that shrimp brooch is just amazing. I scored a crocodile brooch today myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather has indeed been creating havoc all over the world. I do wish it would stop raining for more than a day, and preferably in the weekends! xxx

      Delete
  5. Ann, I’m so sorry to hear about Dennis and Ciara. That must be awful. Good thing you had fabulous clothes and treasure hunting to distract yourself.

    I love your raspberry red and mustard outfit – what a gorgeous colour combination.

    It was fun looking through your vintage finds. The basket bag and camera are fantastic! Do you use vintage cameras or are they for decorative purposes? X


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jess! Although all our vintage cameras are in full working order (we wouldn't buy them if the weren't) we use them purely for collecting purposes. xxx

      Delete
  6. I love seeing what you buy at the flea markets! The little stove is fabulous! Love the red and yellow dress. Interesting to see the old kodak brownie, fancy getting it still in its box!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda! We once found a boxed Kodak Brownie in the waste disposal room in the basement of the apartment building we used to live in! xxx

      Delete
  7. I love the raspberries and custard outfit, it's a lovely colour combination. The crushed velvet scarf too, I cant resist velvet, I have far too much of it!
    I would have bought the table top stove, I love enamelware. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sally. I do love crushed velvet too, although these days I limit myself to scarves, which I have quite a few of :-) xxx

      Delete
  8. Such lovely outfits, Ann, and the first one is so flattering making your waist look so small! Aaah, I remember having a waist - it was more than 20 years ago, though! The colours and accessories are fabulous. I loved your plaid coat and the bargainous 10 cent velvet scarf was amazing!

    Storm Dennis mucked up our birthday meal plans but we, too, didn't suffer any damage. We were lucky.

    Your flea market finds were brilliant. The little cooker is so sweet and the kettle fits perfectly. The brooches are fabulous. The shrimp one is so unusual. We had a tiny teaspoon come into the shop today complete with two tiny clogs at the end of the handle but one fell off!!

    Hope you have a great week.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vronni, and I too noticed this dress made my waist look small which, believe me, is no longer the case! xxx

      Delete
  9. Even though the weather is still very gloomy over there, you certainly brought some sunshine with your stellar outfits. Such great mixing of colours together.

    Love your recent market finds. That enamel portable stove is such a lovely piece. Kettle is perfect on top. I, too, love a bit of enamelware. The wicker bag is lovely too, perfect for spring and summer.


    You made me laugh at your comment about the stall holder with the lengthy, one-sided conversation. We have a lot of those at our market! One time I nearly weed myself, cause I couldn't find it in my heart to break away from an elderly lady! Lovely brooches, though!

    The little figurine is interesting. Isn't it funny how our eyes are always drawn to things we remember in our grandparent's homes? Our hearts are all full of nostalgia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suzy! My heart certainly is full of nostalgia! As for that stall holder, lovely though she is, she always wants to draw me into conversation about TV shows I haven't seen, and she keeps on going even after I've told her so! xxx

      Delete
  10. So many great outfits. I really love that purple embroidered scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That red dotted dress, oh my! Also, love that plaid coat and that psychedelic print. I'm always delighted by your brooches. You find so many wonderful things at the flea markets where you live. That cooker is amazing. Never saw one before, but now I want one!

    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Theresa! That cooker is a typical Dutch thing. My husband saw one in a charity shop while we were in Holland, but it was very expensive, so we were pleased to find this one at such a low price! xxx

      Delete
  12. Those tiny clogs triggered a memory, I'm sure I was given a pair as a holiday souvenir as a child. It's one of those memories that is there, floating temptingly on the edge of my consciousness, but I can't quite pin it down. I remember I was so pleased to receive them.
    I'm glad the wind as abated now. The rain is meant to hold off for the rest of the week but I'm not sure I believe it. Dennis was OK for us, but during Ciara I looked out the window to see our eucalyptus tree fall over, as easily as if it were a small chess piece. Oh for Spring!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh what a shame about your Eucalyptus tree! We didn't have any damages but a couple of years ago part of our garden wall came down! xxx

      Delete
  13. The raspberry red dress is one of my favourites on you Ann.
    You’ve certainly had a good haul of stuff this time and that table top cooker is amazing.
    It’s nice to see your lovely cheery pics, I think we are all in need of a boost at the moment and we are the looking ones in not having to deal with flooded homes.
    Take care both of you. Much love from us two xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynn! I know, we're the lucky ones. Seeing all those flooded homes is heartbreaking! xxx

      Delete
  14. Ann you have the best brooches!
    A very huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
  15. The stove is brilliant!!!!! So clever!
    Yes, I feel so much for people affected by the storms- it is just terrible!
    I love your berry buttons- so cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kezzie! The floods are just terrible, imagine it happening to your home! xxx

      Delete
  16. Those wee clogs are just delightful! Numerous sources sell them, but I know that varius Etsy shops have brooch backs (years ago, I bought some there myself).

    Autumn Zenith 🎃 Witchcrafted Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Autumn! We have a shop here which sells those, but I'm after a particular one which isn't available. Will have to look out for it at flea markets, I think. xxx

      Delete
  17. I love that red dress with dots. The yellow belt is a lovely pairing with it. The brooches are wonderful as is the yellow cardi. You look so great in this. I also really like the second styling....and you found some amazing things. The bag is fantastic. The stove is brilliant.

    https://modaodaradosti.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved the red dress, Ann!! Absolutely stunning. The brooches collections were excellent too. The shrimp brooch is unique, and I loved it. My heart goes out to the people who have been affected by the flood. May God be gracious enough to spread some sunshine!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. woww, such lovely color combos, both of them are totally fabulous!. I loved the first one the moment I saw it, and it inspired me to wear something similar!. The reddish and yellow look so appealing!. Also loving your plaid coat and the dress underneath!, its print and those turquoise details are totally delightful!
    So many fab purchases too, I think that my favourite is the shrimp brooch, so unusual!, I have a weakness for crustacean themed bijouterie!.
    Loving the enamelware stovel, such a cute thing!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica! The red and yellow outfit is definitely one I'll be wearing again. And today I wore the shrimp brooch, combined with a belt which has a little fish dangling from the buckle! xxx

      Delete
  20. You have amazing dresses - both the raspberry red one and the psychedelic one are real winners.

    That little enamel stove is so cool - are you tempted to use it, just to test it? I don't think I could resist testing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mim! We haven't thought about using it yet, and I confess to feeling a bit reluctant to do so, what with the kerosene and all ... xxx

      Delete
  21. You have an adorable collection of brooches. I especially love the little prawn! Who would think of designing a prawn brooch?? Isn't it unique? I know a lady, she wears the prettiest earrings that match her clothes every single day. her collection of earrings is also very unique!

    ReplyDelete