Saturday 1 December 2018

I believe in Miracle(s)

As November has drawn to a close, I'm briefly interrupting my travelogue for a catch-up on what else I've been up to and to show you some of the outfits I've been wearing.

On the Sunday before our little trip, there was another edition of our favourite flea market, but we were so caught up with our travel preparations that I completely forgot to give you a round-up of our finds.

We didn't even take any outfit photos that day, except for these, taken in front of the flea market venue for the purpose of showing off the new-to-me hat I'd just found.

I thought its rich aubergine colour went rather well with what I was wearing, in particular my beloved bottle green velvet jacket and my opaques in a colour labelled as curry on the packing.



This wasn't the only hat I found that day, as I also picked up this deadstock, marled green fuzzy hat from one of our favourite stalls. These are the same style as the hats I bought from there last year.


One of the stall's owners had brought along this booklet especially for me. It extols the merits of various synthetic fabrics and was aimed at sales persons in order to better inform their clients about these. My guess is that it dates from the late 1950s, early 1960s. 


The two brooches on the top right came from Lieve, the friend whom she is running the stall with, and who lives in our village, while the striking mother-of-pearl pendant was found later on at another stall ...


... which also yielded this vintage inkwell and pen holder stand in a rather gorgeous shade of aqua.


Our best finds often happen in the last aisles, and this time was no exception. Apart from the hat at the top of this post, there was this heavy, Celtic inspired brooch with mottled olive green stones. I wasn't surprised to see the Miracle mark at the back, having just read up on Miracle after Sheila found a fabulous pendant by the same maker a couple of weeks ago.

Apparently, Miracle is the trade name of A. Hill & Company Ltd. of Birmingham, England, which started manufacturing jewellery in 1946 and, although they have since moved to Cornwall, is still in business today.


My final buy of the day were these deadstock red leather shoes for € 3. I love how they contrast with the curry opaques.



Fast forward one week. Temperatures had plummeted several degrees on they day we returned from our holiday. On top of that, I came down with a cold. Nothing too serious, just a scratchy throat and runny nose, but enough to make me feel a bit under the weather. As a consequence, I couldn't seem to get warm.


There was some improvement by the end of the week. I'd taken Friday afternoon off, so that it was still light enough outside for taking outfit photos when I got home.

I was wearing a just-above-the-knee long-sleeved black shift dress, in black with a glorious floral print in purple and green. Oh, and there's some beige hiding in there as well.

A purple cardigan went on top, with a mother-of-pearl and gold tone flower brooch pinned to it, and I was wearing matching purple opaques. I also wore a green beaded necklace, bought retail many years ago before I became a second hand girl.


I thought this was the perfect frock to showcase my kinky new-to-me red boots, but then I got photobombed by a certain furry someone. Look at those flashing eyes, which mean danger!


We made a detour to a charity shop on our way home, but almost literally made a U-turn when we noticed they were in the process of turning the shop into a gigantic Christmas market, which would take place on Saturday.

Still, I was able to grab a handful of jewellery from the stand near the exit. And guess what, they cost us nothing whatsoever, as we were able to spend what we'd saved on our loyalty card. A present from the charity shopping gods perhaps?



Saturday was another dismal day, which I guess will be very much our lot for the next couple of months. So, once again, it was down to me to provide some colour, even if I got a little bit of help from the Cotoneaster berries behind me, which are still going strong.

I built this outfit around a skirt and cardigan I'd bought from Think Twice earlier that week for € 4 each. The cardigan has a Dralon label, while the skirt, which is vintage C&A, is made from a suede-like polyester. Initially, its colour, somewhere between camel and ochre, was what grabbed my attention, but then I felt its totally tactile fabric and saw the row of decorative buttons down the front. Not to mention the brown belt with tortoise shell buckle it came with.

All other items were already in my wardrobe: the long-sleeved blouse printed with chocolate brown polka dots and squares and sprinkled with green and turquoise flowers, the ochre necklace and the burnt orange beret.


Funny how these boots, which in real life are a very dark burgundy to my eyes, always turn out a deep shade of purple when photographed.

As you can see, tidy gardeners we're not!


In order to combat the cold, I added a green plaid cape with asymmetrical closing and collar, picked up at Think Twice last Winter, my burnt orange scarf and a pair of ochre leather gloves.


This green floral skirt, in a lightweight corduroy, was another of my Think Twice finds that week.

I went a bit wild with patterns here, as I added a red and white geometrical print pussy bow blouse, topped with a plaid print King Louie cardigan in dark red, blue and green.


I kept the pussy bow in check with a scarf clip featuring a glamorous lady wearing a gigantic feather hat, added my Miracle brooch to my cardie and wore a hot pink ring.

This would be my outfit for Monday, but I road tested it on Sunday, which resulted in these outfit photos.

In fact, I liked it so much that I'm linking it to Nancy's Fancy Friday linkup. Do check out that fabulous pre-loved houndstooth (known as pied-de-poule in these parts) suit she is wearing!


32 comments:

  1. Hi Ann
    I’m smitten with those red shoes, they are gorgeous. It’s so wonderful to see a blog post with so many different outfits. I swear you can wear any colour, style and pattern. You’ve pulled off every look brilliantly.
    Keep well lovely friend xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those red shoes and contrasting tights are marvelous!

    Your cape is so elegant. I keep thinking of getting rid of mine as I don't get a chance to wear it often and then I see photos like this and can't part with it.

    That last outfit is out of this world for eclectic pattern mixing. Beyond advanced level for sure.

    Suzanne
    http://www.suzannecarillo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzanne! I do not wear my cape very often, either, as it's not really practical for my commute. But I don't think I'll ever get rid of it. xxx

      Delete
  3. So much to love again, Ann! You have such fabulous style and always look amazing! I particularly love those cute red shoes, the curry opaques and burgundy boots. I genuinely love each outfit you're wearing in this post (and all other posts too!). I love how you mix prints and colours so well! I always look disheveled when I attempted print mixing!! ;) Utterly fabulous, Ann! Hope you're having a lovely weekend! XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sasha. I didn't know the first thing about mixing patterns when I started blogging. It's been a steep learning curve! I know you can do it too! xxx

      Delete
  4. "hahnentritt" heist das auch hier :-)
    and the poly-velour-"leather" we did call "fledermausflügel"......

    fab looks - my favs this time are the cape, the purple boots, the amber necklace and the celtic brooch. and i LOOOVE that totally nuts pattern mix - you really crossed the border ;-D
    wünsche einen gemütlichen sonntag! and sending warm hugs! xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny, but I don't think there's a Flemish word for it, we seem to use the French "pied de poule" only. But I love ""fledermausflügel, which would be "vleermuisvleugels" in Flemish! xxx

      Delete
  5. Ann I loooove this sherlock cape :) You look gorgeous.
    And how cute are these red shoes and this wonderful necklace!
    A very huge hug, Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tina, I love that you are calling the Sherlock cape ;-) I will call it that from now on! xxx

      Delete
  6. Hello Pheobe!!
    I love those red shoes, they really are fabulous with your curry tights (although I think garam masala would be a much posher name!) The deadstock hat is wonderful as is that saved book!
    All your outfits are fabulous - a breathtaking round-up! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They'll be my garam masala tights from now on! And I now have four of those deadstock hats ... Oh well. xxx

      Delete
  7. The backdrop provided by your autumnal garden is perfect for showing off the Autumnal hues you're wearing. I absolutely love the red shoes, they look extra good with the curry opaques.
    I also like the purple outfit, was thinking how good it would look with red boots, and lo and behold, I realised you were wearing just that!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sally! The shoes seem to get a lot of love. Unfortunately it is boots time now ... How funny about the red boots! xxx

      Delete
  8. The winter gloom doesn't stand a chance against your vibrant and colourful outfits! So much to look at and enjoy. I am of course in love with the Miracle brooch. I have a few and the workmanship is just incredible. I can't tell from the photos but could the stone be Connemara marble?

    Such a glorious cape. Can't go wrong with a cape, can you? Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing my best to combat the winter gloom. I'd never heard of Connemara marble, but I did some research and you could very well be right. The stones are certainly heavy enough to be marble. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! xxx

      Delete
  9. The Green velvet jacket is gorgeous! I'm searching for a Geen velvet as we speak! I also really like the tweed cape Ann.
    It's rained hard here all week :-( xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laurie! I'm keeping my fingers crossed you'll meet the green velvet jacket of your dreams soon. Oh, and it's been raining hard here as well, I can hear it pelting against the window as I write :-( xxx

      Delete
  10. Your outfits are fabulous in this post, Ann! I'm agog at your incredible pattern-mixing and your great colour mixes too. Another Miracle! My pendant is actually several years old - I just haven't worn it for a long time.

    Love the pen set, the red shoes, the aubergine hat and Phoebe's flashing eyes! What a ferocious beast she is, hee hee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila! I've got another Miracle brooch as well. Glad you love the pen set ... Oh, and I've been calling Phoebe "ferocious beast" ever since I read your comment. She really is ... xxx

      Delete
  11. Your outfits are a delight to look at. Everytime there is something new to discover. Fabulous finds again! We should shop together in Lewes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't it be fun to shop together in Lewes? xxx

      Delete
  12. such fabulous outfits!, I love particularly your black dress with those purple flowers! and those matchy tights and cardi are so cute! Lovely green short-sleeved cardi too and gorgeous cape! Also lovely mixed prints in the last outfit, really unexpected and fabulous! brilliant!

    Your red shoes are so cute!, love this kind of maryjane style! and they look comfy too!. Fabulous purchases, as usual!!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica, they really are your kind of shoes, aren't they? They made me think of you, actually! xxx

      Delete
  13. I love your new green Miracle brooch and green cape! The new to you red boots are amazing, as well as the boots which look like beautiful deep purple (some colors really are so tricky to photograph). You look lovely in your new hat and velvet jacket, and I always admire colorful tights. I plan to purchase them - but then, I have to make sure not to misplace them, haha!

    We are also not tidy gardeners (or housekeepers, for that matter), but to tell the truth I love overgrown gardens and rooms overflowing with stuff...it looks too lonely otherwise to me.

    Have a wonderful week, dear Ann! Hope you are feeling better already! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Natalia. I wouldn't get through Winter without my colourful tights, and pick them up whenever and wherever they are going cheaply. I even found some pairs from my favourite brand in a charity shop the other week. Confession: we are not tidy housekeepers either ... xxx

      Delete
  14. What a cornucopia of delights! I am lusting after those red shoes and burgundy boots and yes the boots do look like a rich purple in the photos!

    Loved your cape with the asymmetric collar; the colours were so subtle and the new brooch was the perfect match.

    Loved your dress and the purple tights and the skirt, blouse and short sleeved cardi was a great feat of layering.

    Finally, the jewellery. Fab brooches and some lovely necklaces - maybe you'll find more now you've finally struck lucky!

    Hope your week is going well; still grey and gloomy here in fact dismal is the exact word to describe it...
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Veronica. Glad you loved my outfits. So glad I finally found some lovely necklaces in a charity shop. Maybe my luck will turn now! It's been very dark and dismal here, with lots of rain. xxx

      Delete
  15. How lovely is that aubergine hat with that gorgeous bottle green velvet. Favorite color combination of mine. I also love the texture of your two new brooches.
    The floral dress is a print that sings to me. I am glad you are feeling better!
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Elle
    https://theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elle! I don't think I could have worn a better jacket to wear that hat with! xxx

      Delete
  16. Ooh,what fun rainbow jewellery you found. That hat is marvellous especially combined with that rich velvet. Very envious of furry hat too!! Sorry you were feeling so unwell! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kezzie. I started feeling better after a day or two. xxx

      Delete