Friday 3 August 2018

Walking on sunshine

Although we've been back from our holiday for over a month now, in my mind it's not over until I've finished blogging about it, as revisiting all the things we did is almost like having a second holiday.

I'll be sad when it's done, so I'm trying not to rush things.

By Saturday, it was clear that both the rain and the clouds had packed their bags and were off elsewhere, leaving us with nothing but sunshine and blue skies on the horizon. We couldn't believe our luck!

During our first week, we'd had quite a busy schedule, so we decided to take it easy and not to venture too far from our cottage.


Bishop’s Castle in South Shropshire is a small market town about six and a half miles from where we were staying. It's in the middle of unspoilt hill country, close to the Welsh border.

At first sight, it looks like a sleepy little town, where peace and tranquility are the order of the day.
Indeed, time seems to go slower here, which might be due to the fact that St. John's Church has a one handed clock, a leftover from the days before we needed to know the time down to the minute.


Do not be deceived though, as there is life in this quiet backwater yet. Back in March 2017, The Times described it as pretty, down to earth and crafty: it's got more than its fair share of arts, crafts and independent shops.

Bishop’s Castle is also a centre for real ale, with The Six Bells micro-brewery as well as the oldest working brewery in Britain, the Three Tuns.



We walked, literally, up and down the High Street: it has a gradient of 1 in 6, with the 18th century town hall at the top. We stopped to browse in the town's one and only charity shop, where I managed to unearth an Indian made cotton sundress in a cool shade of blue with a white print, as well as a pale pink cardigan.



Then we made our way to the church, where we sat on a bench in the churchyard to eat the picnic we'd brought. As one does! Well, it was the only shady place with benches!

We made sure not to outstay our welcome, though, as there would be a Church Fête later that day. Having watched too many episodes of Midsomer Murders, we were a bit wary, as in the series the most gruesome murders happen during events like these. Better not take any chances ...



If you think Bishop's Castle sounds quiet, nearby Clun, a picturesque village just under six miles away, is even quieter.

In "A Shropshire Lad", A.E. Housman describes it as "the quietest place under the sun".

Imagine our surprise when finding its car park overflowing! It turned out there was a "gardens open" day and people had flocked to the village from far and wide. If we'd been there earlier, we might have joined in, but by this time we weren't really feeling up to visiting the sixteen participating gardens.




We parked in a lane, which ultimately led to Clun Castle, its ruin perched dramatically on two ice age mounds overlooking the village.

From the castle, we walked through undulating fields to the village, where we tumbled into the Bridge Tearoom and had huge cups of cappuccino and the most enormous scones.


I was asked by a lady in Bishop's Castle whether my frock was vintage, and indeed it was one my Diolen delights! It would be the last time I'd be wearing one of these, as the temperature was definitely on the rise!

After a quick turn of the village, we called it a day, and drove back to our cottage, where we sipped cool drinks sitting on our little terrace, with me wearing the frock I'd bought in Bishop's Castle.


We geared back into action on Sunday, retracing our steps to Church Stretton, the town we'd visited on our first day. The rain that day had scuppered our plans so that we were left with some unfinished business.

Thus, wearing my jumpsuit for the occasion, we went for a walk in the town's hidden, and thus often overlooked treasure, even though it's only a stone's throw from the town centre.

Rectory Wood is nestled between the town the and wild expanse of the Long Mynd.




The park at its heart was laid out in the late 18th century, its design influenced by Capability Brown. The well-preserved remains comprise woodland walks, a stream and artificial pool, and the ruins of a pumping house, summerhouse and ice house.

When it was voted the least stressful spot in England in a study by The Independent in 2009, surely they must have had this tranquil pool shaded by ancient yews in mind!


Steps leading up a steep hill eventually emerged onto a path leading to a minor road. When I noticed the Cattle Grid sign, it dawned on me that this was the very road we'd driven on in the rain, the one going straight over the Long Mynd. I have since read that this is called The Burway, which is the highest public road in Shropshire and definitely not for the faint-hearted: it is featured on a website about scary and dangerous roads!


Crossing the road, we continued on a path which would ultimately descend to the National Trust owned Carding Mill Valley. There's a car park which charges £ 4,50 a day, a vast tearoom, which is only open during the weekends and an information hut with leaflets on walks starting from this point.
On Summer Sundays, the place can be quite busy, as you can see from the number of parked cars. Weirdly enough, quite a lot of people were sunbathing on blankets they'd put out behind their cars.


After refreshments in the tearoom, we walked back to Church Stretton through the woods, at one point crossing a stream by way of Dead Man's Bridge, an old gravestone!



Monday morning saw us visiting a town recommended by Vix for a charity shopping session. 

I almost left behind a gorgeous maxi frock as I thought it would be too small, but I'm glad I decided to try it on anyway, as it's a perfect fit, as well as the perfect length. Don't worry, you will get to see it in a next post! 

After lunch at the local Wetherspoon's, we returned to our heat trap of a car, for the short drive to a nearby National Trust property.


Hidden in the midst of suburbia and surrounded by encroaching housing estates, Sunnycroft is a rare survivor of a bygone age: a late Victorian suburban villa, built in 1880 and extended in 1890. 

The house, with its 5-acre mini estate, is a perfect example of the grand country house lifestyle the emerging middle class of the industrial age were trying to emulate - on a much smaller scale, obviously.

The house itself is approached through the majestic Wellingtonia Avenue (above left).


Visits are by timed tickets and we plonked ourselves down in one of the deckchairs on the lawn, where various lawn games, including croquet and skittles, were set out. Too hot to play, though!

When the time for our house visit arrived, we were first ushered into the billiard room, very fashionable in the late Victorian period, where a volunteer regaled us, and one other couple, on the history of the house and the people who once lived there, especially the Lander family, who bought the house in 1910.


Then, we were set free to explore the house, which we did at our usual leisurely pace, taking time to chat with some of the friendly and very knowledgeable volunteers.

The house contains a wonderful and varied collection of objects belonging to the Lander family, through the Victorian and Edwardian era, right up to 1997 when the house was bequeathed to the National Trust. 



Highlights include the family medicine cabinet complete with original contents, and other items of domestic life of the early 20th century.



We kept running into the billiard room volunteer, who had apparently taken a shine to us, and rather annoyingly found it necessary to accompany us, almost literally breathing down our necks in his rush to explain the use of various objects.




Having toured the house and finally made our escape from "the breather", we ended our visit with delicious cakes in the Edwardian tearoom. The lemon drizzle cake was particularly yummy!

My next post will be another non-holiday one, where I'm struggling to find things to wear in the continuing heatwave!




28 comments:

  1. Ah, I understand what you mean about overly attentive volunteers though in my case I always suspect it is because they think I might nick something ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, now I get it: he probably thought we might be nicking something, especially from that medicine cabinet! xxx

      Delete
  2. I'm getting repetitive, but I love these holiday posts. :) It's so beautiful. I love your new blue sundress - what a fabulous colour on you, Ann - and I can't wait to see your new maxi dress.

    I actually said out loud, "That is a LARGE scone!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila! I love writing these too, and will be sad when it's all done. I did have problems finishing that scone and wasn't very hungry for the rest of the day either! xxx

      Delete
  3. That lemon drizzle cake sounds wonderful! I might have to look up a recipe to make my own.

    That last walk you took in the park was so beautiful. I relaxed just looking at your photos. I think I'd love to take the same type of holiday you two take, walks, lunches, thrifting : )

    I'm excited to see your new maxi dress. No doubt you were scouting for more 1950s/60s cotton dresses rather than you usual 70s when the heat became too intense.

    Suzanne
    http://www.suzannecarillo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suzanne! My working life is stressful enough as it is, so we really need to relax and do things slowly on holiday. And I'm definitely going to try and make lemon drizzle cake once it gets a bit cooler ... xxx

      Delete
  4. I've enjoyed reading your holiday posts especially as I live in Shropshire and it's fascinating to see it through someone else's eyes. I Laughed at your "breather" at Sunnycroft, some of the guides can be a bit eccentric there.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment! I'm glad you've enjoyed reading my posts. I think it's rather exciting that you live in Shropshire! In case you are reading my reply, could you tell me whereabouts in Shropshire? I was also wondering how you found my blog? xxx

      Delete
  5. What a super record of your holiday this year Ann. It’s been wonderful following along and of course even better being a part of it. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynn, and meeting you was certainly one of its highlights. I'm glad you were part of it too! xxx

      Delete
  6. very chic hiker in your tropical jumpsuit!!
    your slowed down kind of having a holiday trip is right up our alley - i´m relaxing just by reading about :-D
    the indian sundress looks very pretty - even crumbled in a deckchair ;-DDD
    me is sitting here in a bikini - very happy to not have to go to an office - just designing hiking tours in the shady house - for the times someone want to go hiking again.....
    huge hugs! xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beate! We always take things slowly on our holiday, as it's not much fun rushing from one thing to the next. And I often wish I didn't have to go to an office, either! xxx

      Delete
  7. First I am in love with you in this tropical jumpsuit! You look gorgeous :))
    Thanks for this wonderful trip to shropshire. So amazing there. I love the whole post, except this wonderful little details you find.
    I wish you a great weekend. A very huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina! I'm glad you're enjoying the trip! xxx

      Delete
  8. Yay! Sunnycroft in the sunshine looks so different from our winter visit complete with frost and Xmas trees! I love that you found that amazing dress on your trip to the nearby chazzas, too - a wonderful souvenir of your trip!
    I've never been to Bishop's Castle or Clun which is shameful as they're so close.
    You are the coolest looking rambler ever in your jumpsuit. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll always think of YOU when I'm wearing that dress. I loved Sunnycroft, and might even have tried a game of croquet if it hadn't been so hot! xxx

      Delete
  9. Your comment on the fete made me laugh. And Visit Britain should be paying you commission, because you make everywhere look so lovely.

    Aaaah, now I want cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm, that's an idea! And the cake was quite delish! xxx

      Delete
  10. I had a good laugh about the fete and Midsomer Murders! So true! ;) Another wonderful travelogue, Ann! Such beautiful scenery and those scones looked amazing! Have a wonderful week, Ann! XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you agree about Midsomer Murders. Whenever there's an event like this in the series, you just know what's going to happen! xxx

      Delete
  11. From blue skies to tea cakes this sunny trip looks like a lovely endeavor.
    The beautiful castle and grounds are magnificent. How wonderful to visit a place where time feels like it’s going slower. That indeed sounds like a tonic. You photographed some beautiful objects and I really liked the green print dress you are wearing .
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Elle
    https://theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elle! I love that green print dress, too! xxx

      Delete
  12. Lovely post Ann and your sundress was a great buy. Tell me, are there any other counties that you'd like to see? Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now don't get me started, Fiona! We've still got a few counties on our list, but we're such slow travellers we usually go somewhere more than once. xxx

      Delete
  13. Another lovely post, your photography is great. I love the jumpsuit xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Judging by Midsomer Murders, no establishment in England is safe and you can hardly trust anyone, from librarians to orchid collectors and priests! Now we're watching a New Zealand mystery (Brokenwood) and a Canadian mystery (Endgame), and I keep reminding our cats to stay home - neither NZ not Canada look any safer than England!

    I enjoy every post with all the walks, outfits, old world buildings and snacks. Love the photos of you and Jos on the patio! Epitome of relaxation! And you look fantastic in the jumpsuit, Ann!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right, Natalia, and we felt particularly at risk when we were holidaying in the area where the series was filmed ... I wish I was sitting on that patio right now, by the way! xxx

      Delete