Friday 24 August 2018

Summertime blues

You might think this post's title is a bit misleading, as there isn't even a smidgen of blue in what I'm wearing.

Well, obviously, it isn't the colour blue I'm referring to here, but the state of mind.  Finishing my travelogue has left me feeling a bit deflated, as if my holiday is only now truly over.

But not to worry, as we will be going away on a short trip in just over a week's time, and obviously I'm hoping to return with a whole new set of travel stories!

In the meantime, the heatwave has come and gone, and we are left with a typical Belgian summer: an unsettled mix of fine days, with the odd hot and humid day thrown in, usually followed by a thunderstorm and, more often than not, the ubiquitous grey skies and showers.



Now that the temperature has dropped from its great heights, it's time to turn my attention to some of the unworn Diolen delights waiting patiently in my wardrobe.

Honestly, why should I care about grey skies if I can wear a dress as sunny and bright as this one? Wearable sunshine, that's what it is! Grabbed from Think Twice's rails many months ago, its green and white stripes and different sized yellow and orange flowers instantly appealed.

The dress came with a narrow white fabric tie belt, but I'm generally not a fan of such belts so I replaced it with an vinyl one in a similar yellow as the flowers.


I then started piling on the accessories, staying in the green/white/yellow/orange colour palette of the dress. 

I've had the handbag, which is in pristine condition, for years, but it rarely gets an outing, as I wouldn't forgive myself if it got damaged in any way. I mean, look at those exquisitely embroidered flowers!


It was the Saturday before last and, as usual on a Saturday, it was time to hit the charity shops. These goodies all came from the shop in our village!


There's a huge tin decorated with Nasturtiums (note how well they go with my frock!) still retaining its tiny key so that it can be locked, a set of Matryoshka dolls, and ... can you guess what the orange-red thing with the bird is?


It's an alarm clock! Apparently, it originally came from Habitat where I guess it cost more than the € 5 we paid. Our previous one, a radio alarm clock, annoyingly kept getting ahead of itself, so that's off to the charity shops now, to be replaced by this absolutely fun one!

When the alarm goes off, the bird starts tweeting, its eyes light up and it actually moves, as if hopping up and down on its perch.

Sunday was a picture postcard perfect summer's day, the temperature warm enough not to be stifling, with wispy strands of stratus clouds in a blue sky.


Having been held hostage by the hot weather for too long, we hadn't been for a proper walk since we came back from our holiday.

So, with no other plans or obligations, we packed a picnic and went off, our destination being our favourite nature reserve, Het Broek in Blaasveld.

Last time we were there was at the end of February, so another visit was long overdue!



This time I was wearing blue, which is the predominant colour of this delightful cotton Madras check dress from Think Twice, its collar, sleeves and pockets (yes!) edged in red. 

As the dress was calling out for red accessories, I added a red belt, further accessorizing it with a red and white plastic beaded necklace and red, white and blue bangles.

My hat, with its light blue chiffon scarf, was found in a charity shop on my birthday two years ago. It was made by long-established German hat-makers Mayser, yet it only cost me a couple of Euros.


At first sight, all seemed as it should be, with plenty of water in the reserve's many ponds. There must have been plenty of fish as well, as we spotted several cormorants perched among the waterlily pads, spreading their pterodactyl wings, and a pair of statuesque white herons in the far distance.

We'd expected it to be quite arid, with most of the vegetation yellowed and burned to a crisp, disintegrating at the merest touch, so we were pleasantly surprised by the abundance of green lining the ponds and paths.


Some of the ponds were pea soup green with algae, though, a direct result of the sun relentlessly working overtime.

Among the carpet of lily pads, a late and lonely water lily was displaying its delicate beauty.



We braved a path overgrown with brambles and nettles to get to my favourite corner.

There's a strange familiarity to this landscape, something I can't put my finger on.



It is utterly enchanting whatever the season: from left to right, these photos were taken in early November 2017, late February 2018 and, the most recent one, during our August walk.

A dense thicket of grasses, reeds and cattails almost obscures it from view. 

A sudden quickening of the pulse, then my muscles seem to relax in recognition of this primordial landscape, perhaps reaching its tentacles all the way back to my childhood.



Near the visitor centre, a gaggle of turkeys had escaped the confines of their pen and, accompanied by much gobbling and gurgling, were about to embark on an adventure of their own.



Continuing our walk, our nostrils detected peaty woodland smells: earthy and mossy, with a hint of old fallen leaves.

You eyes might deceive you into thinking this is a tree-lined path on the right, but it is in fact one of the brooks running through the domain, brimming with water in rainy times but now completely dried up.


Highly invasive it might very well be, still I can't help but be enchanted by the delicately sculpted, pastel coloured flowers, reminiscent of orchids, of Himalayan balsam (Impatiens glandulifera), flowering prolifically in late summer and early autumn.



Before we returned to our car, we sat on this bench and stared a while, breathing in the delicious scent of the warm summer air.

Linking for the first time to Nancy's Fancy Friday party!


32 comments:

  1. The best cure for post-trip blues is planning/going on a new trip! And, as always, I love your use of bright colors. So cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that alarm clock a hoot? Love it! The unique treasures you find when shopping secondhand is always fascinating.

    I could go for a bit of that cooler weather so I could wear a few more of my polyester dresses too. I'm glad you were able to get yours out, they are far too lovely to be stuck in a closet.

    I'm swooning over that handbag! WOW! What a piece of vintage.

    Your walks always inspire me. They look so tranquil.

    Suzanne
    http://www.suzannecarillo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suzanne! Can you believe that handbag was only about € 10? Hope your weather has cooled down a bit by now! xxx

      Delete
  3. That clock would drive me mad, but it is cute!
    beautiful outfits, both. I wonder why you
    d lock a tin like that? Makes mre think of my mother hiding and rationing out the biscuits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's much gentler than a classic alarm clock! I guess people used the tins for personal effects after all the biscuits were gone ;-) xxx

      Delete
  4. I love your colourful dresses. You look so amazing Ann. I love you wear hats. I have a Mayser hat, bought second hand too :)
    It's grey weather and I think it need to wear colours, more than on sunshine days ;)
    Thank you for this nice pictures Ann. Oh and your clock is very nice with this bird make action to wake up :))
    A very huge hug and I wish you a wonderful weekend, Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina, aren't Mayser hats the best? Jos has one as well, bought brand new, very expensively! xxx

      Delete
  5. no reason to be blue - if you have such fun frocks and a gorgeous nature reserve for relaxing!
    the mayser hat caught my interest right on the first pic - can see its fine quality - and the design suits you very well! but - i´m in love with the embroidered handbag - such a beauty!!
    jos had a chat wit the turkeys - they made an appointment for thanksgiving???? ;-DDD
    much love! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, no reason to be blue, still it happens from time to time ... Oh, and I think that's exactly why the turkeys may have escaped ;-) xxx

      Delete
  6. Your green dress looks so original, it suits you beautifully and you look anything but blue in it!
    As ever I enjoyed the stroll through nature with you, especially the photos showing the changing seasons side by side.
    The air has a distinctly autumnal tang to it here today. It's quite nice as it's also lovely and sunny. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about that autumnal tang, Sally, and nights are getting chillier too. But I do like Autumn, as long as the sun keeps shining for a while yet! xxx

      Delete
  7. That alarm clock is a scream... although flashing bird eyes at silly o clock could be quite disturbing! Has he got a tuneful chirp?
    The floral handbag is a gem. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does have a tuneful chirp, so I can live with the flashing eyes, which doesn't mean I forgive him for waking me up at silly o'clock ;-) xxx

      Delete
  8. I love both of your outfits, Ann! The first dress is gorgeous and I love your accessories. That ring is so pretty and your bag is amazing! I love the second dress too! Such a pretty print and I love the red! That alarm clock is fabulous too! Hope you're having a great weekend, Ann. XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sasha! That ring's very special isn't it? xxx

      Delete
  9. I'm like that with most of my bags! There's nothing quite like getting back to nature to unwind and recharge the betteries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got two types of bags, work horses, which are nice but sturdy, and the pretty and delicate ones, which I hardly ever use but love looking at! xxx

      Delete
  10. Love, love, love both of those dresses! I'm a big fan of madras plaid and the print and color combination of the other is lovely. You also do a brilliant job of accessorizing. The floral purse is truly a gem. I would never part with it, if I were you. The alarm clock you found is so fun! And I'm sure it was great to get out there in that lovely landscape for a good walk. It's been brutally hot here too and am now looking forward to the cooler temperatures as fall draws near.

    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Theresa! I love madras plaid too but surprisingly I didn't have any of it in my wardrobe, so I was happy to find this one! And obviously I will never part with that handbag! xxx

      Delete
  11. I love your walks - they are so beautiful! I adore both of your dresses, perfectly accessorized as always! What fun that alarm clock is! Vizzini would chew on it, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phoebe has already been giving it nasty looks ... Hope she doesn't attack it while we're away! xxx

      Delete
  12. I'm sorry to hear you've been feeling blue. I hope your break makes you feel much better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mim! Since it's a case of the post-holiday blues, I'm sure another break will make it better! xxx

      Delete
  13. whatever the weather, your 'wearable sunshine' dress is a mood booster and you look gorgeous in it!, I love all the glorious orange and green and the matching bijouterie!, it has put a smile on my face!
    And such a lovely walk and lovely pictures, glad that you could come back to usual excursions!. Your blue and red dress looks amazing, so cute Madras plaid and those red details!. I'm loving your comfy maryjanes too!

    Hope the blues fade soon! Feeling sad after a fab holiday is something that I understand pretty well.
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica, now that we're going away on another little holiday, it's getting better by the minute! Glad my green and orange outfit put a smile on your face! xxx

      Delete
  14. We all need a bit of “wearable sunshine” in our wardrobes for those dreary blue days, don’t we?! What a fabulous dress! Green is my forever favorite color so when I saw you featured at Nancy’s Fashion Style, I had to pop on over! I am loving your whole fun vintage vibe. Your red, white, and blue plaid dress is equally fantastic! Such a great post filled with so much fabulous style! I also host a link up on Tuesdays and Fridays. Won’t you please join us!

    Shelbee
    www.shelbeeontheedge.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment, Shelbee! Green is my favourite colour too, by the way! xxx

      Delete
  15. Ah yes, the grey days are returning. Yesterday we had nothing but misty rain, so I put on my new orange star print dress and headed out in my own little bit of 'wearable sunshine'.
    I love that alarm clock! What a fun find.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do believe everything, including grey days, look better when you're wearing colour! xxx

      Delete
  16. Both your dresses look so fresh and pretty, perfectly accessorised as always.
    I loved joining you and Jos for your walk, the turkeys were the highlight. I love how chatty they are!
    Very envious of that bird alarm clock - Habitat make some fab stuff! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those turkeys were so funny. Only one of them was left behind in the pen. It didn't seem to know how to escape, but the whole gang goaded it on until it finally made its escape ... xxx

      Delete