Saturday 11 November 2023

Rainy October pursuits

I bet the weather gods are laughing behind our backs as they keep showering us with endless rain from their heavenly heights. Surely they must be shaking with mirth when they add some gale-force winds into the mix and watch us, poor sods, trying to hold on to our umbrellas and keeping them from bending over backwards. I imagine them pouring another glass of their favourite tipple, then sit back and play a game of dice in order to decide where next to wreak havoc.

Oh November, so much to answer for!

Not that the second half of October was any better. Once the weather finally turned, it was almost as if we were having to pay penance for the privilege of the string of bonus Summer days we had been blessed with well into the first month of Autumn.




My blog being behind the times as always, I left you on Saturday the 21st of October at the end of my previous post, mentioning that we'd been for a rummage at the Oxfam shop in Wilrijk. So, without further ado, here are some of the things I found.

First up is this rather fabulous dark purple mock croc trench coat, which I wasted no time in wrestling off a shop dummy. It's by C&A's Clockhouse label. Aimed at the under-25s, I remember buying items of Clockhouse clobber back in the 1980s, when I was about the age the label was intended for. But surely age is just a number and, at well over twice the age Clockhouse was aimed at, I'm entitled to wear whatever I like! 

The trench would be absolutely perfect to combat the never-ending rain, but sadly it's far too thin to be a match for the barely into double figures temperatures.



I also snapped up another King Louie heart patterned cardigan, in chocolate brown, for my burgeoning collection. They're my favourite and most worn cardies and I'm quite chuffed that not one of them has been bought brand new!

It must have rained all through Saturday night and we kept being plagued with regular showers on Sunday, with just the oddest of dry and sunny spells and a mere 13°C.




After a morning of aimless pottering and a lunch of homemade soup, we decided upon a visit to the garden centre, as I needed to buy a watering can for the office.

Due to the uncooperative weather, outfit photos were taken against the white painted brick wall in our garage, so I'll start with showing you my outerwear. My grey, brown, blue and pink tweed coat is King Louie, charity shopped for € 6 in February 2022. 

I picked up the pink in its weave with my beret - an old retail buy - and matched the blue with my frilly scarf, which was yet another charity shop find.




The charity shops also supplied the dress I was wearing, at approximately the same time as the coat.
It's by Froy & Dind, a Belgian label which has been making sustainable fashion since 2011. 

For some unfathomable reason, the dress ended up on my flea market stall back in July, but when it was still languishing on my rail at the end of the day, I took this as an omen that it needed to stay with me.

I accompanied the dress with a pair of hot pink opaques to tie in with the dress's floral print, and layered a long-sleeved t-shirt in the same colour underneath. Pale blue beads and ditto cat brooch completed my outfit.



I'm sure my beloved caramel mock croc boots do not need further introduction. Oh, and I kept on my beret as my hair was in need of a wash. I always love it when it's beret season and I can get away with being a slob for a day :-) 



Needless to say, a watering can wasn't our only purchase at the garden centre! Three packets of bulbs (wild daffs, dog’s tooth violets and alliums) ended up in our trolley as well, not to mention a pot of heather and some pansies to replace the tired and leggy Busy Lizzies in the passageway.

As we were having one of those rare dry spells, I planted up the latter as soon as we got back home. The bulbs will have to wait until we have had the time and inclination to do a big garden clear-up. Sigh!

In spite of the continuing neglect, some of our long-suffering plants seem to be thriving, case in point being the Monkshood (Aconitum carmichaelii 'Cloudy') on the top right, still flowering its head off at the end of the garden.




When another shower materialized, I scuttled back inside and continued the morning's pottering. This included dusting a tiny cupboard full of charity shop and flea market treasures. Apart from the Matchbox caravan, which was a beloved childhood toy at the time my grandparents used to have a - very similar - static caravan in the countryside where we spent many a Spring and Summer weekend.




The rest of the afternoon was spent finishing Philippa Gregory's Wideacre and making a start with the 700+ page blockbuster, Atlas, the epic conclusion to Lucinda Riley's Seven Sisters series. Atlas was co-written by Lucinda's son Harry Whittaker, who finished the book after his mother passed away in June 2021. The heavy tome was kindly lent to me by my friend Inneke, and definitely didn't disappoint, even if I found some passages more than just a little far fetched.

As you can see, I was joined by Bess, who just loves sleeping on her new fleecy throw.



The dismal weather continued all through the working week and it often took all my willpower to venture outside during my lunch breaks. However, as going for regular walks seem to be beneficial to my mental health and definitely go a long way in keeping my anxiety issues in check, I persevered. 

And so it was that I was mesmerized by the wedding cake tower of Antwerp's cathedral and its reflection in one of the square's countless puddles. 



In all honesty, I'm not much of a rainy weather walker, so that, more often than not, my lunch break walks take me to one of the vintage or second-hand shops near my office for a browse.

One of these shops is Melting Pot, a little gem of a shop where clothes are being sold per kilo. Lately, however, it does take some level of dedication to browse its rails for treasure, and true vintage finds are few and far between. Still, I was happy with that day's finds, which included a handmade floral skirt, a rather spectacular Gustav Klimt inspired scarf, a berry coloured polo neck and navy belt featuring the Ancient Olympic games.




Yet another lunch break made me walk towards Inno, a well-known departure store on Antwerp's main thoroughfare. They had a promotion on socks and tights, so I stocked up on some Le Bourget opaques.

If there's ever a world shortage of tights, I'll be good for years to come!



In anticipation of the official start of my 4-day working weeks on the 1st of April, I'm still squandering the rest of this year's holiday allowance on Fridays off. I simply can no longer face working full-time, and I'm usually gasping for a break by Thursday night.

As torrential rain was yet again on the menu on Friday, we thanked our lucky stars that we didn't have to join the daily commute and could have a lie-in instead.

I built the day's outfit around a Diolen dress I found at Think Twice back in January. It made its debut during last February's meet-up with Kezzie in Bruges, when she promptly dubbed it the Tardis dress.




Blue was therefore the obvious choice for my belt - one that used to belong to another dress - and opaques, although I used burnt orange for my King Louie cardigan and beaded necklace. The latter was bought from an antiques centre in Newcastle Emlyn during our wet Welsh holiday in June 2017.

When I was browsing my drawers of brooches, my eye was caught by this vintage 1980s rectangular one. Surely there couldn't have been a better match with the Tardis dress?



When at the end of a morning's pottering there still seemed to be no let-up in the rain, there was nothing for it but to make another trip to the charity shops. 

Our shop of choice was the three-storey one in Duffel. Neglected for many months due to ongoing roadworks, we finally found an alternative route a couple of weeks ago, so that it is once again on our itinerary.

My star finds that day were a dark green short-sleeved Who’s That Girl dress patterned with Bialetti coffee makers, and a pair of delightful lilac Western style boots! Don't they make an excellent outfit?
 


Also found that day were a flouncy cheesecloth skirt - put away until next Spring - and two necklaces.

Would the weather improve during the rest of the weekend? Would we finally be able to go for a much needed walk? You will find out in my next post, for which I hope you'll join me again!




34 comments:

  1. Hats cover a multitude of sins and it's good to have an excuse to wear one. I do like your King Louie cardigans - the burnt orange one is gorgeous - well, they're all lovely.
    Your cathedral reflection photograph is beautiful.
    Fresh air, even the soggy sort, is so uplifting, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janice! Those King Louie cardigans are life savers, as is a bit of - sometimes soggy - fresh air! xxx

      Delete
  2. the weather gods don’t care at all about us ridiculous little humans..... :-D
    love the photo of the reflection of antwerps cathedral tower - and of cause the sleeping bess <3 so very cute!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course they don't Beate, and why should they bother with mere mortals like us :-) xxx

      Delete
  3. You do suit a beret. I like hats to be worn, I think it's a shame the fashion for everybody to wear a hat has passed. You are clever finding such pretty plants to keep the feel of the Summer months going a bit longer. We have a lot of trees that have almost completely shed their leaves, we keep sweeping them up and almost immediately there is another lot. hey ho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do agree it's a crying shame, Jean. I usually only wear hats in high Summer or Autumn/Winter (beret time!) but my husband never leaves the house without one! xxx

      Delete
  4. I recently read Atlas Salt. I quite enjoyed it but agree it was a little far fetched. I was taken aback to read in the into that Lucinda Riley had died. I have read a number of her books and enjoyed them. I wish I could find King Louie cardies in the UK, I do quite love your large collection. The V neck is so stylish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read a number of her books too, and much as I enjoyed the Seven Sisters series, they are not my favourites of hers. I dearly love my - charity shopped - King Louie cardigans and I'm always on the lookout for colours I don't have yet! xxx

      Delete
  5. Goodness Ann, I'm drooling over your finds, particularly the mock Croc coat, lilac Western boots and that dress...definitely a match made in heaven!
    Walking is definitely a great leveller and I'm glad to hear that your 4 day working week has already started, albeit unofficially. I also appreciate the reflection photo. What a gorgeously golden, Autumnal scene!
    Hugs to Bess. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire! It seems that the goddesses of the charity shops have been making up for the lousy weather the weather gods keep sending us ... xxx

      Delete
  6. I can't stand the rain. It's beating down on the window panes as I type.
    That mock croc raincoat couldn't have arrived at a better time. I loved Clockhouse back in the day especially when C&A sales were on - which seemed to be very regularly.
    That pink beret is lovely on you and perfect with the posh coat and Belgian dress. The rust cardi with the blue dress is a fabulous combination, too.
    How snuggly does Bess look on her fleecy blanket? I shan't show William or he'll be demanding the same.
    Like you, I'm no rainy weather walker, hence the lack of NT properties we've visited this Autumn! Charity shops are a far more sensible option especially with finds as fabulous as yours! xxx


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rain's rather getting on my nerves as well ... which must be the understatement of the year. With a C&A store near my office - both my current and former ones - I was regularly checking out the Clockhouse collection. I remember buying a most fabulous black, tulip-shaped dress back in the early 90s. xxx

      Delete
  7. I love the TARDIS Dress AND the one below!
    I used to like C&A when I was a child. We had 2 near me- 3 floors!
    You look lovely in the beret.
    If you ever find a black one of those King Louies and don't want it, send it my way! HA!!!!:-)
    I like your caravan model-in fact the whole display is lovely!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kezzie! We still have a 3-floored C&A in Antwerp! Well noted about the black KL cardigan - it's yours if I ever find one! xxx

      Delete
  8. I don't mind the rain on the workdays because I work most of the day anyway, but I do mind it on the weekends- when I want to go out for a walk or a hike.

    Beautiful outfits. I love your dresses and how you paired them with cardigans. I miss wearing colours. We have a BW dresscode now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivana! With big floor to ceiling windows in my office, I prefer having a bit of sunshine even on my working days ... To be honest, I would absolutely hate it if we had a dress code! xxx

      Delete
  9. I still have a Clockhouse coat too! Oh this weather has just been miserable and yet more rain to come...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hasn't it just? I do hope you're settling into your new home alright? xxx

      Delete
  10. Your lilac boots are very cool. Lise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lise! They are pretty fabulous aren't they? xxx

      Delete
  11. This dark purple trench coat in a crocodile look is a little dream... I would also like to wear it :-)))
    My goodness we were lucky, it's still been wonderful autumn weather here so far, little rain, lots of sun and the colors of the trees :-)) I love it.
    It's great that you take walks, it's important for the body and especially for the head... your photos of the cathedral are magical.
    A hug to you from Viola.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Viola! I do agree the purple trench coat is a dream ... unfortunately not nearly warm enough to wear this time of year! xxx

      Delete
  12. I'm so glad the first dress didn't get sold at the flea market; it's beautiful and such a flattering fit on you. I'm in awe of your King Louie cardigan collection; such lovely colours and ready to match everything in your wardrobe.

    The Tardis dress was fab and what a brilliant match the brooch was with it.

    You've found some beauties on your charity shop trawls including the amazing lilac boots. I'd love to know how many pairs of ankle boots you have! One in every colour to match your cardigans maybe?

    Hopefully April will be here soon...
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vronni! I haven't got the slightest idea how many pairs I've got, to be honest. I think I might be surprised myself when I attempt to count them ... will keep you posted :-) xxx

      Delete
  13. Those cardigan's are so cute. That's the problem with so many gorgeous coats.. they just won't keep you warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hena! I'm lucky to have quite a number of warm Winter coats as well ... xxx

      Delete
  14. Oh, I'm sorry to hear there has been so much rain lately. That sounds awful! It is definitely a difficult time of year, weather wise! WOW that dark purple mock croc trench coat is an incredible piece! Wow, wow, wow. I can see why you were instantly intrigued! I agree that anyone can wear whatever they like! The coat is fantastic and will look amazing on you. Oh, I love those heart patterned cardigans. You have a wonderful collection! It sounds like you got some wonderful items at the garden center! It sounds like a long but interesting book that you read. I hadn't heard of that one! It will be so exciting when you start your four day work weeks in April. I'm sure you are counting down the days!

    the creation of beauty is art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shannon! I can't wait to wear that coat but unfortunately it isn't warm enough for wearing in Winter. If you ever want to read Atlas, I do suggest you read the other books in the Seven Sisters series first. You definitely won't regret it, they might actually be your kind of thing! xxx

      Delete
  15. I had to look good at the Tardis dress brooche, gosh that's a beauty, and also the dress is. We are now in Rye and we are so lucky with the weather, unbelievable. Pity that you can't wear the purple coat yet. And that new skirt. I think that more people then less work 4 days a week. Especially the young ones who are just starting their careers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy! I don't think I've actually ever wore that brooch before ...
      Lots of people here start working 4 days a week at the end of their careers. You can get a compensation from the government and it does not affect your pension! xxx

      Delete
  16. I'm loving the jacket! And the wooley looking coat! Nice!
    Blue and orange...You look an Angel!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh the reflection of the cathedral is just beautiful Ann! It looks like gold leaf. I am in awe of you trench coat find. The only new shop my mother used to take me to as a kid (in amongst the jumble sale shopping) was C&A - particularly the Clockhouse section. She said it was good quality stuff. Considering I still have a vintage C&a breton style t-shirt and scandi noir jumper going strong after 35 years - I can't argue on that. Loved seeing your cabinet of treasures xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lulu! Wow, I'm amazed at your C&A t-shirt and jumper still going strong after 35 years. Mind you, I've often found pristine looking vintage C&A stuff in the chazzas! xxx

      Delete