Wednesday 1 November 2023

In sickness and in health

In spite of my best efforts, I can't seem to be able to get into my erstwhile blogging rhythm of churning out a blog post every four days. I knew I'd been letting standards slip with the odd gap of five days instead of four, but the alarm bells really started ringing at six days and - gasp! - a whole week between posts! It's not exactly my blogging mojo which has gone missing, nor can I blame it entirely on the problem with my eyesight. If I have to name a culprit, it must be the clock, whose hands seem to have been accelerating the passing of time, of which whole chunks have been disappearing into thin air lately.

It didn't exactly help that I was struck down with a virus shortly after the events of my previous post.

On the evening of Wednesday 4 October, I started feeling shivery and somewhat nauseous. Although I didn't have a temperature - which I rarely do anyway - I took some paracetamol and thought a good night's sleep would settle things. It didn't, as unfortunately I'd slept quite fitfully. Still, I decided I was well enough to go to work on Thursday.




By midday, however, I was feeling exhausted, so I called it a day and went home. In a sort of light bulb moment, I'd connected my symptoms to the previous week's Covid booster jab, but this was ruled out by a phone consultation with my GP. Apparently, I'd caught a virus which was doing the rounds, its main symptom being tiredness. In short, a couple of days of rest would see me right.

I slept well and deeply that night, and indeed felt a whole lot better, if still somewhat tired, on Friday morning. I did wake up with a blocked and buzzing left ear, though.

I spent most of the day reading and dozing on and off on the sofa but although I did get dressed, making outfit photos would have been too much of an effort.




This, therefore, was what I was wearing on Saturday. We were still enjoying Indian Summer temperatures nudging the mid twenties. This offered another chance for wearing one of those as yet unworn Summer dresses. This lightweight floral Diolen one in shades of blue and aqua with a generous dollop of white made it out of my wardrobe that day.

The sparkly teal cardigan I layered on top was charity shopped in 2019, while the aqua carved heart brooch was a holiday souvenir, picked up in Cardigan in 2017. The pale blue beads came from a long-gone vintage shop many years ago. 

On my feet, my green suede Van Dalen ankle boots. They too were a charity shop find, in February 2021 to be exactly. Still one of my best finds ever!



My throbbing left ear had much improved by now, and would continue to do so as the day progressed.

Still, I persisted in taking it easy and spending my time reading on the sofa until my eyes hurt and my head was dizzy.

My latest read, Wideacre by Philippa Gregory, was definitely engrossing, although it did take me a while to finish its 600+ pages as I kept falling asleep.

The book had been languishing in my reading pile ever since I picked it up in a Shrewsbury charity shop back in June. It made it to the top of my pile when I found out it had been mentioned by Sarah Waters as one of her favourite books.



By late morning, I declared myself well enough to do some light pottering. As part of the never-ending wardrobe changeover, I swapped sandals for ankle boots and put some of my knee-high boots within easy reach. 

I also unearthed a tub full of opaques in a rainbow of colours in readiness for the chillier days ahead.

Still on a roll, I strolled into the village to run an errand in the afternoon. However, I felt quite sweaty and exhausted by the time I was back. Clearly, I'd been too optimistic about feeling better!



Therefore, on Sunday - we were the 8th of October by now - I didn't venture from Dove Cottage's confines at all in spite of the gorgeously sunny 23°C weather.

In fact, I didn’t do much at all except for resting and reading, plus working on a new blog post, which I finished ready for publication on Monday. I always work on my posts over several days, starting with photos and collages, and then adding text whenever I've got time or inspiration strikes me.



I snapped up the vintage folksy cotton circle skirt in a charity shop in the Summer of 2020. 

Looking back at my blog, I always seem to match my top to the roses in its pattern, and this time was no exception. My short-sleeved knit jumper was a sales bargain from the Belgian Sweet Soda label earlier this year, while the posy of pale pink flowers brooch came from a quirky independent shop near my office.




The rest of my outfit - the matching pale pink beads, chevron patterned stretchy belt and dusky pink retro-style shoes - were all charity shop finds.

While the garden is an absolute mess and not worthy of being blog material, there are still quite a few things to be spied to delight the eye. 



Initially, it looked as if our lovely Toad Lily (Tricyrtis hirta), which used to live in the passageway, had become a victim of next door's renovation works. But then I discovered the plant in a broken terracotta pot among the bags of compost from our bin back in Spring.

The poor plant was barely alive but swiftly recovered after repotting and giving it some well-needed TLC. And look: my efforts were paid off when it finally started flowering its head off in October. Just how gorgeous are those orchid-like flowers, its white petals sprinkled with purple freckles?




The leaves of the Virginia Creeper covering the shed at the bottom of the garden are getting redder (and sparser) by the day, and the Hydrangea flower heads are blushing a delicious deep rose-pink. Our Fuchsia magellanica shrub is full of pink and purple prima ballerinas. And speaking of purple, the Salvia which survived last Winter in the rejuvenated passageway isn't showing any sign of giving up just yet!




The weather gods kept treating us to temperatures well over 20°C for the best part of the second week of October, which often felt at odds with the unmistakable signs of Autumn.

Health-wise, it was a week of ups and downs which I muddled through as best as I could.

Consequentially, there isn't much to tell, apart from the fact that I once more added to my collection of boots during one of my lunch breaks. After I fell head over heels with a pair of mock croc knee-high boots in November 2021, they soon became my most worn pair. They'd become a bit worse for wear so imagine my delight when I spotted the exact same boots for just € 20. 



Still eking out my swiftly dwindling holiday quota, I once again took Friday off that week. If the weather forecast was to be believed, it would be the last of the Summer days!

Browsing my wardrobe for the perfect partner for the sage green blouse I found at Think Twice the other week, I stumbled upon this rather neglected Basler skirt. Smitten by its lined cotton fabric and exotic fruit print, it followed me home from a charity shop in July 2018.




Apart from the enamelled orchid brooch, which was a flea market find, everything else here had its origins in a charity shop as well. And yes, that includes the burgundy Fly London ankle boots with their turquoise trim.



Speaking of charity shopping, we did indulge in one of our favourite pastimes both on Friday and Saturday. So, before I bid you goodbye, here's what I found.

First up, a floaty orange skirt sprinkled with navy squiggles by the Danish Soft Rebels label, which landed in my basket on Friday. It was joined by a retro-style hand knitted brown and white jumper with square neckline, and a hot pink vinyl belt.





Saturday's finds were a navy, white and red chevron patterned cardigan by Only, which is another Danish label, and a gorgeous green half elasticated belt with lion's head closure.

That's it for now. I hope you'll join me again for my next effort to catch up!




30 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you have not been well. Such a shame when the weather is good too!
    I adore that outfit with the pink top! It looks really good and very striking!
    Some great finds in the charity shop and I'm glad your garden is still wearing some pretty flowers! Kezzie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kezzie! Thankfully I'm doing better now, although I'm quite wary of all the viruses which seem to be doing the rounds! xxx

      Delete
  2. my best health wishes to you!
    this autumn started for everyone with a cold it seems - incl. the BW & me - and you too..... blame the isolated and masked covid winters....
    my most favorite items of the month is the tropical basler skirt - if you ever get bored of it please send it to the BWH! :-D
    hugs! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beate! I absolutely agree with you and blame the isolation and masking during Covid. I was hardly ever sick pre-Covid! xxx P.S. you've got first dibs on the skirt if (but it's a big IF) I ever get bored with it :-)

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry to hear that you've been under the weather. Hopefully now you've had whatever it was it won't bother you again. What a shame you were afflicted when the weather was so good, too.
    You're giving Dove Cottage's garden a run for its money with those cheery florals. The tropical print skirt is fabulous as is the dark floral circle skirt and your mitchy-matchy cardi and midi dress combo.
    I loved the Wideacre trilogy, I devoured the lot in a fortnight back in the days of lockdown. If you haven't already read any of hers I do recommend Emma Donaghue, I love everything she writes.
    Fab finds - how fortuitous to find a replacement pair of mock croc boots! That square necked brown knit top is a beaut! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vix! I'm looking out for the other two books in the Wideacre trilogy. I've just finished Emma Donoghue's The Wonder and have another one of hers in my reading pile. I did read Room (during Lockdown!) of course! xxx

      Delete
  4. I hope you are feeling very much better now. There do seem to be a lot of viruses around.
    I love your first and second ensembles and I particularly like all your brooches. Keep well, Ann. x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice! I hope I've seen the last of the viruses though! xxx

      Delete
  5. There was a similar virus doing the rounds here, Ann. Luckily it passed me by but I know several people who came down with it.
    Hope you've fully recovered by now.

    Lovely outfits and accessories. Loved the circle skirt and the fruit skirt in particular. I did admire your lovely collection of long coloured boots; I only have boring black, brown and tan. And talking of brown boots; how amazing you've found a replacement pair for the brown mock croc boots; they're beautiful.

    I'll look out for that book; I have a feeling I may have read it a very long time ago or it may have been another in the trilogy although didn't realise it was a trilogy so I'll have to read them in order...
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vronni! I actually didn't know it was part of a trilogy either, until Vix mentioned it. Now I'll be on the lookout for the other two! xxx

      Delete
  6. Love the way you styled all the outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I heard from my GP that there were a lot of people sick from some virus. It feels like our immune system is getting worse and worse. I always hope that by cycling and being out helps...... but it doesn't, lol. I wish you a wonderful and dry weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy! I guess there are a lot of viruses doing the rounds here too. Yesterday Jos was trying to make an appointment with our GP for a renewal of his blood pressure tablets, and they were nearly fully booked for the whole of this week and the next! xxx

      Delete
  8. Oh nooo...sorry you aren't feeling well!! No Fun!!
    LOVE the pink & blue outfit and the top teal one!!! You are gorgeous in them! Pretty!!!
    Hope you feel better now!
    hug
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna! No fun indeed, but I'll survive :-) xxx

      Delete
  9. Sorry to hear you've been so unwell! I am glad you were able to rest up and started to feel better. There are so many bugs going around, it's difficult to stay healthy! Good to see you back to posting and dressing up and accessorising so perfectly again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mica! Resting up seems to have done the trick, although it isn't easy for a busybody like me :-) xxx

      Delete
  10. I'm really sorry to hear about that horrible virus. I hope by now, you are back on your A game!
    Your toad lily is exquisite. We have very little colour in our garden as of now, save for the carpet of autumn leaves.
    Loving the pink and blue outfit and what a stroke of luck finding a replacement pair of mock croc boots! Your boot collection is putting mine to shame! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claire! I'm so glad that toad lily survived next door's renovations ordeal. xxx

      Delete
  11. Ann, I loved seeing your collection of boots. And those mock croc ones are gorgeous, I'd be wearing them all the time too. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jess, and I love those boots so much they're hardly off my feet! xxx

      Delete
  12. You sound like you're describing my life. When we get sick (which is common this time of year) we usually get tired. "Resting and reading" are good medicine. Hope you feel better soon. Don't worry about your blogging schedule; you'll return to it naturally when your body is healed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those boots are stunning princess!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hopefully, your ear has recovered and you feel well again. Have a nice weekend. xxx Regula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Regula, and my ear is all better now. It is just something I suffer with from time to time! xxx

      Delete
  15. I love your outfits its looks you stunning !! Xxx Wilma

    ReplyDelete