Wednesday 8 March 2023

Sculptures and scones

The month of March has come at last, alas not bringing Springtime weather with her just yet. The days keep getting off to a frosty start, but if we are in luck and the sun deigns to make an appearance, it does warm up a bit by midday. Those sunny spells are mostly short-lived, though, the sun's absence making Winter drag its feet, leaving us with leaden skies and an unwelcome biting wind blowing straight from the East.

At  least the days are getting longer in leaps and bounds, so that I'm no longer leaving the house and returning home in the dark!

But wait, I haven't finished telling you about the rest of February yet, so let's get this post moving shall we?


Arriving back home from our Bruges escapade on Saturday 18 February, we both felt a bit gloomy. Our maudlin moods, however, were swiftly lifted by being reunited with Bess. She was clearly overjoyed to have us back and demanded that we make up for lost time and missed cuddles!

The rest of the weekend was spent with, in no particular order, getting in some food, unpacking, doing a load of washing, uploading 300+ photos, catching up with blogland and mentally preparing myself for the ordeal of going back to work on Monday. The latter, I hasten to add, wasn't nearly as stressful as I'd expected. In fact, the rest of the week was quite uneventful, the days dismal and grey, with moderate highs of 8-10°C. Apart from a lunch break visit to my hairdresser on Wednesday, there was nothing worthy of a journal entry to break up the monotony of a February working week.



Still, I breathed a sigh of relief when Friday 24 February - the start of another three-day weekend - rolled along. However, the weather gods were once again adamant to spoil the fun by throwing in some rain in the afternoon. Without even a smidgen of sunshine, it felt quite a bit cooler than the 8°C shown on the thermometer.

I spent some time playing around with my wardrobe, taking out a handful of dresses which still remain unworn this season. My final choice was this vintage frock with its groovilicious green, orange and brown pattern. Although lined, going it alone was no option, so I layered a long-sleeved brown t-shirt underneath. 



The dress is a tiny bit baggy if worn unbelted, so I added a chocolate brown belt with a chunky buckle to define my waist. 

I picked up the orange in the dress's pattern with my cardigan (charity shopped King Louie), opaques (retail) and beaded necklace (found in a Welsh antiques centre). The orange flower brooch was a gift from Kezzie, and a very welcome one as my collection was seriously lacking in interesting orange brooches.

My tall green boots were one of my best charity shop finds ever, in December 2019.

And speaking of charity shops, that's exactly what was on our agenda that day. It was Friday after all, and we hadn't been for a rummage for weeks.



As usual, we visited two shops, this time opting for the two-storey one in Mechelen and the three-storey one near the park in Duffel, which are about 8 kilometers apart. No such thing as a string of smaller town centre shops here, our charity shops are all of the large, edge-of-town variety!

The first shop yielded the red ankle boots and the flowy floral skirt (below, top left and right) and while the latter was a random find, I had been looking for a pair of red ankle boots in my size for absolutely ages!


The second shop's booty included a vintage red tartan coat (my star find!), a prairie-style blouse and a purple and brown tartan midi skirt. 

Fast forward to Saturday, when the sun kept playing hide and seek with the clouds which were propelled along by a strong wind and carried random showers.



With the temperature stuck at around 7°C I needed the warmth of this knit dress of many colours, charity shopped almost exactly a year ago to the date. 

Again, I layered a long-sleeved t-shirt underneath. I've got a whole stash of these in a rainbow of colours, which I'm keeping mainly for this purpose. It's been many a year since I last wore a plain t-shirt on its own. 

Although I didn't have one which matched any of the dress's colours exactly, I decided that the yellow one made the grade, particularly when paired with the suede belt I picked up from an outlet shop back in October.


Mustard beads, burnt orange opaques and a green enamelled brooch with a posy of multi-coloured pansies were my dress's other companions. I'm pretty sure I wore a cardigan on top, my chunky knit long-line orange one if my memory serves me right, but in our haste we forgot to include it in the outfit photos.



As we were adamant to go for a walk, we kept one eye on the weather, which was as fickle as an April day's. In fact, even while we were picking up our car and driving towards our destination, we'd been treated to one or two sunny spells and a brief shower.

Our destination, of course, was our beloved Middelheim, the sculpture park. No surprises there! Although on second thought, there were several of them, as they are doing a major reshuffle and some of our favourites seemed to have disappeared into thin air.

Nevertheless, the sculpture named Grosse Badende (Great Bather), dating from 1971 and by German sculptor, artist and writer Wieland Förster (Dresden, 1930), was still voluptuously sunbathing at the edge of the lake, unperturbed by the resident geese which were making quite a racket behind her.



Taking a shortcut through the leaf-strewn lawn, we soon came face to face with Winged Form (1964). This artwork is by yet another German sculptor, Friederich Werthmann (1927-2018), who created his first abstract sculptures in wood and stone in 1950. He became a member of Gruppe 53, pioneers of avant-garde art in Germany. From 1957 onwards he worked exclusively with steel. His sculptures consist of hundreds of parts, which appear to have been thrown into the air and become frozen in time.

The poor thing seemed to have lost some of its feathers, though ... And look at that patch of blue sky which had suddenly appeared out of nowhere!



On and on we walked towards our final goal, the open-air depot at the edge of the park. 

We met a girl carrying a rather scruffy handbag, but I forgot to ask her name. No chance of searching the online collection either, as sadly the site has been down for weeks.




Before crossing the Bridge Without a Name by Chinese artist Ai Weiwei, we came across a garden inspired installation (below, top right and bottom left and right).  Again, I'll have to take note of its name and creator on our next visit.


Upon reaching the open-air depot, I made a beeline for one of my all-time favourites, the column shaped house of mirrors, Kolom (above, top left), created by Belgian artist Felix Roulin (Dinant, 1931) in 1975. It's not displayed at its advantage here, but then again it - together with many others - is only being stored here temporarily while the sculpture park is undergoing its metamorphosis.

I couldn't place the guy on the bottom centre, so I'm not sure of his former location, but the art installation called Beam Drop Antwerp (above, top centre) by US performance artist Chris Burden (1946-2015) has been there since its creation in 2009.




And then there are the open-air depot habitués, side-lined and retired sculptures which, in their prime, used to grace the city's squares and parks. Seemingly thrown together willy-nilly, they have become permanent residents here. Some of them rest on rickety pallets and there is a definite air of unease among them as they await their fate. 

I always linger the longest in this atmospheric corner of the park, and here I was taking one more photograph before backing away and beating a hasty retreat to our car. We had barely made it when the dark and foreboding clouds started pelting us with big fat raindrops.




We finally woke up to some sunshine on Sunday, but with an overnight frost and highs of barely 5°C, not to mention an icy wind, it was pretty cold outside. 

As we would be spending the day indoors, I took a chance and plucked this black Diolen blouse patterned with tan and teal flowers from my wardrobe's shelves. Again, a long-sleeved t-shirt, this time in a matching teal, was worn underneath. When I repeated the outfit on Monday, I replaced the t-shirt with a polo neck in the same colour, which was infinitely more suitable to combat the cold.



The wool knit skirt with its gorgeous green, blue and turquoise jacquard pattern is by the sustainable German Hess Natur label and was a Think Twice sales bargain in November 2019. 

The mock croc belt and matching boots were both retail buys, as was the faux fur cropped gilet, a fast fashion find which has been gracing my wardrobe for an absolute eternity. The aqua beads are H&M by way of a charity shop, while the faux Lea Stein cat brooch was a flea market find.




We were having a get-together with our neighbour Karin, who lives a couple of houses away. We've been passing the time of day with her for years, but only got to know each other properly when she looked after Bess for a week last June. She absolutely loves animals, and Bess clearly loved her too, as we got photos of her sitting on Karin's lap while we were on holiday.



We had originally planned our get-together during the Christmas holidays, but had to cancel due to that pesky flu I was plagued with.  

Although we'd been invited to her place, we had promised her we'd make scones, which we did that morning. Helped by paws-on Bess, obviously, so that we couldn't vouch for the absence of itinerant cat hair. Anyway, they were declared delicious, and we'd even got our hands on some clotted cream to go with them.



34 comments:

  1. Ann -- Cat hair is both a condiment and an accessory. The scones look delicious. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beth! I hadn't thought of cat hair as a condiment yet, so thank you for the suggestion! xxx

      Delete
  2. Oh, Bess! You can tell she missed you! I love the bookended picture of her feet, "helping" you make scones.

    Love your pretty dresses, especially the DOMC (Dress of Many Colours!), and your plaid coat is amazing! I can't wait to see it on you, Ann. I always enjoy your walks in Middelheim - such wonderful sculptures!

    Sounds like you are having the same weather as us, just about. Cold, frosty in the mornings, warming up (but never quite enough!) to rain, spots of sun. Same temps, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila! I'm hoping for your sake that we aren't sharing weather right now. I'm longing for some sunshine, but no: it has been dark, grey and very wet! xxx

      Delete
  3. I'm glad there had been some sun, at least! Hopefully the winter weather will end soon. Aww Bess is so cute! I'm glad she was happy to have you both back. How wonderful that your week back at work was uneventful and not stressful. It is always nice when that happens. You found some incredible pieces in the charity shops! You definitely have some good luck - or some good shops. I never seem to find anything lovely like that when I'm out and about. Oh wow. The sculpture park is incredible. Thank you for sharing your pictures!

    the creation of beauty is art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shannon! We're still waiting for Spring to start in earnest as sunny days have been few and far between! xxx

      Delete
  4. i have pattern envy :-D both the paisley style and the bright abstract one are fabulous on dresses!!
    and thank you for the photo report of the always interesting sculpture park - cool pic of the bird in the tree.
    cuddles to cute bessi! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beate! The bird in the tree is one of my favourite photos, ever. And I can't wait for the new layout of the sculpture park to be finished! xxx

      Delete
  5. A delightful (not!) four inches of snow here this morning....urgh!
    Gorgeous photo of Bess and how kind of her to help in the scone making. Cats are so thoughtful!
    Great outfits especially that first scarf print dress with the orange cardi and teal boots. I love the ruffled blouse you picked up and the tartan coat, can't wait to see you wearing all of them.
    Middelheim is always a joy to visit, thanks for sharing your lovely photos! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've escaped the worst of the snow, it seems, although I do hope I haven't jinxed that now ... xxx

      Delete
  6. I also imagined spring from March 1st, mainly because we had spring-like weather towards the end of February... we used it for great trips!!!
    I love the red checked double breasted coat... and your outfit on your walk through the sculpture park is great... I like it a lot!
    Thanks for the great photos. A pleasure to see.
    I could bite into the scones with the clotted cream right away :-))) But I'm saved, I have a quark cake in the oven :-)
    Many greetings to you. Viola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Viola! I'm loving the sound of that quark cake! xxx

      Delete
  7. Oh I like the hess natur skirt. The colours are amazing. Great you had scones with clotted cream.😋 Clotted cream is also very difficult to get here in Germany. I got some in a jar too.
    Thank you for the lovely trip to the park. I enjoyed it in my lunch break. With a huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina! We've got one chain of supermarkets which sells clotted cream in jars, so we are considering ourselves quite lucky indeed! xxx

      Delete
  8. Hello Ann, you are going to look a' hootin' tootin' (cowgirl) in those fab red boots & prairie blouse! Oh how weird that there is a place where all the city sculptures go to retire. I can imagine them all indignantly coming to life at night time, when no one's looking. Good to see that the scone making had a fluffy supervisor keeping a paw on things :) xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes, that's what I'm imaging it as well. In fact, I am quite SURE that's what's happening at night! xxx

      Delete
  9. been dismal weather here too, but no Bess to cheer me up. Good find those red boots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Bess does indeed make things a lot better! xxx

      Delete
  10. The knitty abstract dress is a triumph on you, I hope it kept the chills away. We have masses of snow in Derbyshire at the moment, the most I've seen here, very deep, with more promised. Although the sun has got his hat on now so we'll wait and see. A work friend is getting married tomorrow so I hope her plans go ahead. Fantastic sculpture park, I expect you've visited the Yorkshire one over here, (YSP).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't had any snow to speak of, thankfully! I do hope yours didn't scupper your plans! Haven't been to the YSP, I'm afraid, although I've obviously heard of it! xxx

      Delete
  11. It's unusal to find a Hess Natur item. I thinkg people who buy Hess Natur wear the clothes until they fall apart. I found a long sleeved t-shirt years ago and still wear it. :-) Red ankle boots, red shoes are always on my list. Enjoy the weekend. We have snow .... xxx Regula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I was very lucky finding that Hess Natur skirt! xxx

      Delete
  12. Aw, Bess was so pleased to see you. She's a real little helper in the kitchen too! ;-)
    Some fabulous finds this week Ann. I love prairie-style top, the red boots and that amazing tartan coat. I also love how you counter the uninspiring weather with your incredibly groovy outfits. (Love the green and orange dress!).
    As ever, I enjoyed accompanying you to the sculpture park and that shot of the rook in the tree is a stunner! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire, and I'm very pleased to hear that you loved the shot of the rook in the tree! xxx

      Delete
  13. Back to reality it is Ann. It's always a struggle after a good time away isn't it? We make scones sometimes too, of course with clotted cream and strawberry jam. Looking forward to see that coat on, its a stunning one. I love tartan like that. Enjoy your weekend! It's sunny here now but very very cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always a struggle indeed, Nancy :-) It wouldn't do to have scones without clotted cream, does it? The only place where we can find it here in Belgium is at AH :-) xxx

      Delete
  14. I love that Bess helps you wish baking! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bess does help with everything, aren't we lucky :-) xxx

      Delete
  15. You have so many beautiful dresses, and I like that you have the perfect belts and other accessories to pair with them always! :)

    That first outfit it my favourite with all the orange, and I always enjoy seeing the artwork you admire on your walks :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That vintage frock with the gorgeous green accents...simply divine.
    Loved seeing that photo of Bes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivana! It was high time I wore that dress again. I'm glad you loved it! xxx

      Delete
  17. ohhh, I understand that feeling when coming back home after enjoying a travel, it takes some days to manage it (even if Bess is there to cuddles! she's a beauty!).
    Love your groovy print dress, those colours and that orange brooch (Kezzie rocks!).
    Totally agree that the tartan coat is a fabulous find (even if I love those boots and skirts!).
    That knit dress with its geometric print is one of my favourites ever!, love those colours and design!
    So beautiful pictures of that sculptures park, such a great walk!
    Lovely ensemble in teal and turquoise and green on a black background, lovely accessories and lovely gilet!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your lovely comment, Monica! Can you believe I dithered over that geometric print dress and almost didn't buy it? xxx

      Delete