Sunday 12 March 2023

Anniversaries

Once again, the weather was nothing  much to write home about in the first weekend of March. If we'd been treated to a handful of cold yet gorgeously sunny days earlier that week, any hints of imminent Springtime had dwindled away by Friday.

Without the sun to warm both our bodies and the cockles of our hearts the days were dismal and depressing and, although the temperatures were well above freezing point, it required a bit of an effort  to step outside for outfit photos. Perhaps Vix's idea of making flatlays isn't such a bad one!

However, I decided to be a diligent blogger, so here is what I was wearing on Friday.


I based my outfit around the purple and tan tartan skirt I'd charity shopped the other week, combining it with two of my wardrobe stalwarts. The purple polo neck is an old retail buy which, at a rough guess, I've had for close to fifteen years. After hot flushes prevented me from wearing my polo necks for years, they have recently made a comeback. In fact, this one's previous outing only dates from January.



The dusty pink blouse with its wide wing collar is vintage, found at a sorely missed vintage shop back in 2015.  It is patterned with a sprinkling of plum and orange flowers and diamonds and closes with a row of bright orange buttons.  

I picked green for an extra pop of colour, adding a stretchy belt with round faux-tortoiseshell buckle bought retail a couple of years ago and a necklace found on a flea market just before the first Lockdown. The flapper girl in my brooch, which was another flea market find, is wearing a green turban for good measure. 

In fact, I was wearing forest green suede boots as well, but the darkness of the day didn't allow them to photograph well. 



The day's charity shop trawl - well, that's what Fridays are for, aren't they - took us to the shops in Mortsel and Lier, and once again I was in luck.

Both the blue, yellow and white zig-zag top with a bit of sparkle, and the one with its feathery grey, yellow and aqua pattern, have been put away for Summer. The former is from an unknown to me Belgian label called She Goes Lala, while the latter is from Mayerline, which is Belgian too.



For the skirts we are travelling to the UK and the Netherlands respectively. The navy pleated skirt with its baroque pattern is Marks and Spencer's St. Michael, and the teal one with its ditsy print is King Louie, Another one which slipped through the cracks and didn't end up on the posh label rails, I am pleased to add.


Back to Belgium with the eye-confusingly patterned polo neck from Terre Bleue, then straight on to the US, where the label was founded in 1968, for the chunky knit tan Esprit cardigan.



The bookshelves didn't disappoint either, making my reading pile,which is in danger of toppling over, even higher.

Flanking the Taschen book on 15th Century paintings are a novel by Julia Glass, whose Three Junes I enjoyed reading in August 2021, and Sweet Caress by William Boyd, a book I admit to initially choosing for its cover, but which promises to be a great read.



There was no improvement on the weather front on Saturday, but we didn't let the minor issue of the day's grey skies spoil the first of the anniversaries my post title is referring to. Indeed, on the 4th of March we celebrated the fact that our fabulously fluffy, fierce and funny Bess came into our lives exactly two years ago! And how she's changed from that scaredy scrap of a thing that hid under the cupboard for two whole days and remained the seldom seen cat for weeks!



The day didn't prompt us to engage in any outdoor activities so, as an anniversary present to Bess, we stayed with her all day, most of which she spent lying sprawled out on our laps.

But that didn't mean I was completely idle! According to my journal, I washed my hair, did a wardrobe purge resulting in a huge bag for charity, uploaded some photos, caught up with blogland and cleaned and rearranged the items living on top of our bathroom cabinet. Hello vintage loo rolls (bottom left) and oh, I'd completely forgotten about those Avon flower soaps!



Saturday's outfit consisted of a diamond patterned blouse picked up in the newly opened Think Twice shop in Antwerp back in February, paired with an Essentiel Antwerp skirt charity shopped in March 2022. I ditched the latter's self-fabric belt in favour of a multicoloured pleated leather one. As most of my belts were charity shop finds I presume this one was too, but I can't remember buying it al all. 


The orange wooden beads were charity shopped as well, while the brooch was a flea market find last month. My tall red boots also followed me home from a flea market. In fact, the only retail buy in my outfit - apart from my tights and underwear - was the ring!


As I was making my way back inside after our photo session, I noticed some big fat buds (bottom right) in our Hydrangea. We initially thought that the poor shrub hadn't survived the "wall massacre", so we were delighted to find that it was alive after all. Still wearing my non-garden proof outfit, I threw my orange knitted poncho on top, and gave the shrub its annual haircut, pruning each stem back to the lowest healthy looking bud. I also removed at least four empty bags which were hidden in its heart, abandoned by our heartless neighbour.

The Sarcococca (Winter Box, top right) outside our back door has finally opened its non-descript yet strongly scented flowers, the last of the Snowdrops at the back of the garden are delighting us with their shy, dainty flowers, and there's new growth in the potted Euphorbia in the passageway. It's not all bad news in our sorry excuse for a garden.



And then it was Sunday and time for this month's edition of the indoor flea market.

Another grey and sunless day, with temperatures in the mid single digits, it was imperative that we dressed warmly, particularly in view of the erratic nature of the flea market venue's heating.

I don't think I wore my chevron patterned brown and tan knit skirt at all last Winter, so it was definitely due another outing. If my memory serves me right, it was a Think Twice find. This time, it found its perfect companion in the orange polo neck, which I charity shopped in November 2021.



The cropped faux fur gilet I layered on top was a charity shop find too, as was the green mock croc belt, while the Lucite bird brooch was picked up from a flea market. 

Both the necklace, which came from Accessorize who once upon a time used to have a shop in Antwerp, and the ring, were retail buys.

At the flea market, we spent a happy few hours trawling the aisles and perusing the multitude of stalls.

Purchases were made, obviously, although it turns out that we are a lot more fussy than we used to be.




The box of Agfa glass plates (top right) was a no-brainer, however, bought to display with the wooden stereo camera we purchased from a charity shop in November. The plates are all exposed and I managed to photograph one of the negatives by displaying it against our spare room window. I'm left wondering, of course, who these people were and when and where the photographs were taken.

Having been to the factory's visitor centre back in September, the book on the history of Jules Destrooper (top left) was a no-brainer as well. The seller threw in the booklet on the history or Prince biscuits, designed and first sold in Antwerp in 1894 in honour of the Belgian King Leopold II after he visited the pavilion of biscuit manufacturer Edward De Beukelaer at the Exposition Internationale d'Anvers. 



It almost goes without saying that I added to my collection of brooches.

The oval enamelled rose brooch came from a French speaking lady I've bought from many times before and who always gives me a good price, while the flower laden metal wheelbarrow was picked up from a random stall. 

The wooden flower brooch and the smaller, round enamelled roses and rose hips brooch were found at our friend Rita's stall.



The gold-rimmed ceramic flower brooch was my star find, while yet another random stall yielded the jade green celluloid bird brooch and the slightly damaged enamelled feather, both of which went for the silly price of € 3.


The day's final find came from our friend Tania's stall. Can you guess what it is? Well, obviously it isn't the demented looking doll, but the wicker basket! Although I could very well have been sharing the doll's horrified look when I was faced with the lack of space to properly display my ever-growing collection of straw, wicker and rattan baskets ... 

Anyway, that's it for now. Before I leave you, however, I've still got to tell you about the other anniversary, as my post title clearly mentions anniversaries, plural!

Well, Monday the 6th was my blog's 7th anniversary or blogiversary! I can't believe it has been 7 years that I have been sharing my life with you. Blogging has become one of the joys of my life, and I cannot thank each and everyone of you enough for not only putting up with me, but leaving the loveliest of comments on my posts!


41 comments:

  1. It sounds like the month is off to a good start!

    I envy you being able to wear what you want, when you want. I'm in scrubs 5x a week and then after my shifts it's home and into softy comfy clothes for the rest of the night. The only time I wear "real" clothes is on the weekend.

    The flower brooch reminds me of a cameo, is there any chance that it is?

    Our short stay in Belgium went well. Took the other half for supper in the Grand Place and the next day it was too rainy to contemplate Waterloo, so wound up at the History of War Museum (which the taxi driver eventually found after a false start).

    Keep on being you, you give me a good read each time I see your update

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear your short stay in Belgium went well, and yes, I know I am lucky being able to wear what I want. I've got several cameos, but no, the flower brooch isn't one! xxx

      Delete
  2. Nice outfits! As always I admire your boldness with color. Sorry I've been absent lately; my illness is still lingering. The weather here is equally unpleasant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ally, and I hope you are feeling much better now! xxx

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry to hear that the weather was so cold and dreary! I'm impressed that you still took outfit photos despite the weather. You look gorgeous! I love that tartan skirt. How exciting that you were able to find some interesting books. My reading pile is often threatening to fall over as well...and that is okay with me! There is no such thing as too many books. Aww what a lovely anniversary! Bess seems like a wonderful cat! My goodness. Those brooches are so gorgeous. Each one is so special and intricate! Happy 7 year blog anniversary! That is incredible! Such an achievement.

    the creation of beauty is art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shannon, and you're absolutely right: there is no such thing as too many books! xxx

      Delete
  4. 2 years with bess already! time flyes. and yes - she really came out of her shell - now a bold and adventurous cat :-D
    love the pink in the first look! with spring in the air i wore pink the 2. day in a row.....
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's hard to believe she's been living with us for two years already, although at the same time it feels as if it's been forever! xxx

      Delete
  5. Happy Anniversary to Bess and a very happy Blogiversary to you!
    Serious brooch envy over here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. www.leenhuet.be13 March 2023 at 17:30

    O, that Jules de Strooper book, and the story about Prince biscuits (which I didn't know anything about, although as a child I ate my fair share of Chocoprince)! Lovely finds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leen! The story of Prince biscuits is interesting but makes me crave Choco Prince biscuits too :-) xxx

      Delete
  7. Happy Anniversary and thank you so much for all your joyous posts. I'm so glad I found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy 7 Years! It is gray and raining here.
    You look fabulous as always. Thanks for braving the cold for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hena! We've had our fair share of rain, but the sun is shining right now! xxx

      Delete
  9. Beautiful outfits. My fav is the Saturday one. You look absolutely gorgeous rockinh those vivid colours. Wonderful blouse and skirt combo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment and compliment Ivana! xxx

      Delete
  10. Snap! I have the William Boyd book but haven't read it yet. I have read several of his books and enjoyed them and have about four more on the shelf still to be read. I also have the same necklace as you but in a different colour way to that you're wearing with the fab fur gilet outfit. I loved all your outfits; the tall red boots outfit was gorgeous. You got great finds. Love the patterned polo and the summer tops. The flea market finds were brilliant; more amazing brooches. Have you ever counted your collection? I'd be interested to know...

    The Agfa glass plates look so fascinating. Just who where those people in what looks like fabulous outfits? I found it very poignant as I expect you never will know who they were.

    Congratulations on your 7th blogversay. Mine was last November and I completely forgot about it!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vronni! I am currently reading the William Boyd book, it's very good! Last time I counted I got well over 500 brooches, but that was years ago :-) xxx

      Delete
  11. Happy 7th Blogoversary, Ann! And happy two years with dear Bess, who has grown into such a beauty!

    Love your outfits - the green accents on the first one are perfect, and I love the deep reds in the 2nd look. I always enjoy poring over your flea market finds - some excellent brooches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila. We couldn't imagine our lives without Bess! xxx

      Delete
  12. wow wow wow, happy 7 years.
    https://www.melodyjacob.com/2023/03/spring-bedroom-ideas.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it feels like a lifetime, thank you! xx

      Delete
  13. Happy Blogoversary, Ann! I can't believe it's been 7 years!
    Brave girl standing outside for outfit photos and what wonderful ones, too! I absolutely love you in red, both the polo neck and the midi skirt so vibrant for this bleak time of year.
    Bess is so distracting, I have to keep scrolling back to get another look at her. It's wonderful how she's flourished with yours and Jos's love.
    Fabulous finds - William Boyd is one of my all-time favourite authors ever since I watched The Trench in 1999. Jon thinks Any Human Heart is the greatest book ever written, it's definitely in my top 5! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix! I can't believe it's been 7 years either. I'll always remember you were my first proper commenter! xxx

      Delete
  14. Congratulations on your blog anniversary! And to many more years! Today we are going to vote here in the Netherlands, very exciting as I hope there will be a change. The sun is shining here, only for today. But The world looks so much more different when the sun is out. Or new kitten is finally sleeping as he wanted to play from 6.15 till 8.30.pffff. Your purchases always make me want to shop! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy! It was lovely to see Jack in your latest post, but I can imagine it being exhausting having a kitten again! xxx

      Delete
  15. Congratulations! Blogging for years as you've done takes persistance and courage. I admire that. Your glass-plate score appeals to me. I regularly collect antique photographs and postcards. Like you I wonder about the people in them whose identities are lost to history. When my parents were old, they sat me down with a box of pictures of their relatives, explaining who everyone was and writing their names down on the back of the photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ally! I've got boxes full of pictures of my parents and their relatives, but unfortunately there are a lot of mysteries there ... xxx

      Delete
  16. Happy Anniversary 🥂🌺
    I love your red outfit with the Esseniel Antwerp skirt. You look gorgeous Ann. Wonderful new charity finds you had. I hope spring is coming. The weather this year is horrible.😳
    with a huge hug Tina
    PS Bess is soooo cute! 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina! We've finally got some sunshine today, not sure how long that will last though :-) xxx

      Delete
  17. Lovely outfits that have cheered me up, dear Anne!
    That pink shirt and purple plaid ensemble are particularly fabulous and love that necklace and flapper girl brooch. Sorry that the weather was so miserable!
    Lovely to see your great finds and also lovely to see your collections, those fleur d'avon are so cute!.
    And obviously Bess is the cutest thing ever. I can't believe two years have passed!.
    Looking cool and comfy in your cosy orange jumper and furry gilet, so fab outfit!. And so interesting booty you got from the flea market!, those brooches and the wicker basket!.
    Happy blogiversary!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my lovely friend, and I'm glad my outfits managed to cheer you up! xxx

      Delete
  18. Happy Blogiversary!
    I'm so behind this week with blog reading this week!
    There's a lot to love in this post, particularly Bess and your wonderful flea market finds. The brooches (the jade bird and feather brooches being my favourites) and those glass plates are amazing. I always think about who the subjects might have been and try to see if I recognise any of the locations. Only last weekend, I spent way too long in one corner of a junk shop, poring over vintage photo albums.
    It's wonderful to see the signs of Spring, even if it doesn't yet feel like it. xxx
    P.S. You're rocking the orange Ann!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire! I can well imagine spending way too long in a junk shop that way. I'm still trying to figure out who everyone is in the box of family photos I got from my parents! xxx

      Delete
  19. That doll is terrifying!!!
    I love your glorious red outfit! So cheerful! Plus, I love your fur gilet outfit! It also looks red though!
    Kezzie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I just HAD to take a picture of her! And yes, it's a very red orange I suppose :-) xxx

      Delete
  20. A belated Happy Blogiversary to you Ann :) (cue exploding glitter bomb) xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your wishes, and the glitter bomb of course. Although there's glitter everywhere now :-))

      Delete