Saturday 11 February 2023

Gotta get through February

Although we have finally been blessed with a string of sunny days this week, the weather gods persisted in presenting us with yet another grey and dismal day on Friday before last.

We'd turned the calendar's page to February by now, bidding farewell, without any regrets, to the long and long-winded month of January. 

That's the first full month of Winter over and done with, but we're definitely not out of the woods yet! February might be the year's shortest month and may traditionally bring forth a handful of Springlike days, its feet are still firmly planted in Winter. 

This year in particular, I've been finding it hard not to give in to the downward spiral this imposter of a month often brings. I've been battling with fatigue, which I'm blaming on the chronic lack of sunshine, the nerve-wracking office move and the fact that my longed-for Christmas break was marred by that pesky flu.


Anyway, onwards and upwards! I've been topping up the Vitamin D levels on my lunch breaks this week and I've got a little trip to look forward to, which I'm sure will go a long way to make me feel right as rain again ... Although, on second thought, I'm not sure about the rain part!

But let's get back to the subject of this post, which starts with Friday the 3rd of February!

My non-office Fridays are without a doubt my favourite days of the week: a bonus day tagged onto the weekend, in which to wind down to a slower pace, and with a full three days of seemingly endless possibilities to look forward to. 



I love letting the mood of the day inspire my outfits, which is something that often falls by the wayside during my working week. 

That morning, however, I didn't even have to open my wardrobe and feast my eyes on its glorious contents. In fact, this groovily patterned shift dress had been waiting in the wings ever since I brought it home from Think Twice back in January. I had even already selected its companion, a chartreuse, purple buttoned cardigan charity shopped almost six years ago to the day.

Apart from my secretly matching purple opaques hidden by my boots, I opted for caramel accessories to match some of the dots in the dress's pattern. So, out came my mock-croc belt (retail), beaded necklace (charity shopped) and perspex ring from Rita's flea market stall. I've seen the brooch being offered as vintage on more than one occasion, but it is actually from H&M, where I bought mine brand new in the early noughties.



While Jos was doing his paper boy duties, I decluttered and reorganized my full to bursting make-up shelves and drawers. This wasn't at all what I had intended spending my morning on but as I'd been looking for something which at first I couldn't find, I realized that I needed to take matters in hand.

Note to self: avert your eyes when walking past the lipstick displays in the drugstore!




After lunch, it was time for a spot of wombling (like Claire, I'm pilfering the phrase from Lulu) in the form of a good old rummage at the charity shops. Surely, you'd be hard put to find a better way to get rid of the blues on such a dreary Winter's day.

As usual, we visited two shops, although we only struck gold in the first one. In fact, we hit a veritable gold mine!



First up was this labelless classic Prince of Wales plaid pussy-bow blouse, which I think is looking rather yummy with the cord skirt I dressed Angelica in. 


The greyish blue blouse with its side bow is by Brighton based label Pretty Vacant. Their website mentions that the label was established by a pair of Camden Market traders exploring the relationship between music and fashion. Well, I know which song I'll be humming whenever I wear it. In as far as you can hum a Sex Pistols song, that is. However, with its snow-capped mountains and cable cars print, I might switch to the hills are alive with ... No, you don't have to thank me for the earworm!

The solid two-tone blue and diamond patterned cardigan is yet another one from retro label Zoë Loveborn to join my collection.



Two skirts ended up in my basket as well. I believe the classic green and white striped and rope patterned one is somebody's very professional looking handiwork. It has pockets too!

The black and white leopard print skirt is by Essentiel Antwerp. Somebody apparently hadn't done their homework, as it wasn't on the posh labels rail, where it would have had a much higher price tag than the € 5,30 I ended up paying for it.


The bookshelves didn't disappoint either, as not only did I pounce upon another Philippa Gregory, I also grabbed The Victorian Pharmacy, which ties in with a four-part BBC series, showing how many products sold by high street chemists today can trace their origins back to nineteenth century formulations. There are even some remedies and recipes to try at home!

The book in the middle was found by Jos, and yes, it translates as The Magic of Radio and Television, and chronicles 75 years of Belgian public radio and television.




Saturday's weather was a repeat of Friday's, the 10°C indicated by the thermometer tempered by rain and wind. Definitely not the kind of weather to soothe our frazzled nerves!

While we were having breakfast, our washing machine, which had been making a bit of a racket lately, decided to up the ante, waking up the entire neighbourhood in the process. Too ancient to justify any repair costs, we drove to our preferred electrical goods shop in Mortsel, the nearest town to us, to order a new one. Yes, we are among those rare people who still prefer to shop in actual brick-and-mortar shops. The demise of the high street will certainly not be down to us.

The purchase, by the way, wasn't as painful for our purses as anticipated, as we were able to pay a large part in Ecocheques. These are vouchers most employees get here in Belgium at the end of each year, and which you can buy energy saving devices and all kinds of environmentally friendly stuff with.



My outfit was another one I'd had in mind for a while. Charity shopped last June, the turquoise skirt patterned with orange and blue birds perched on branches, had had to wait quite a while for its first outing, its felted wool fabric ruling out wearing it in Summer.

The thin knit jumper with its Mid-Century vibes is Zara by way of a charity shop. I'd worn it to the office somewhere in the Autumn and it was still airing on a hanger waiting for a second chance.

Adding turquoise accessories in the form of my birds-in-flight brooch, beaded necklace and chunky plastic ring was a no-brainer. My teal King Louie cardigan was layered on top.



In order to settle our nerves from the washing machine ordeal, we decided on another wee charity shopping trip after we'd had a late lunch, driving to the small shop in the neighbouring town of Reet.

I had hardly walked in when I spotted the Avon Lady Slipper soap still in its box. It still smells faintly of violets, but obviously I'm not going to use it. It has currently joined the Avon Looking Glass cologne I found at our local flea market a couple of years ago. Who knows, these might even be the beginnings of another collection ...



This navy crossbody oilcloth bag with its blowsy rose print might or might not join me on next week's trip ... watch this space!

My final find was this tiny 1950s vintage handbag from the Belgian L.H. label. I asked Jos to take a photo of me holding it so that you can fully appreciate its diminutive size! Isn't it cute?




The photo seamlessly ties in with Sunday's outfit.

I was wearing a favourite puff-sleeved and rose patterned jumper by King Louie, which I was lucky enough to come across in a charity shop. Not for the first time did I wear it with this vintage red and white striped Finnish made wool blend skirt. Why deviate from a match that is so obviously made in heaven?




I picked a green wooden necklace by the Belgian Les Cordes label, charity shopped in the Summer of 2020, and wore the forest green calf length suede boots with chunky rubber soles which were a naughty high street buy back in September.

I was loath to remove my pink beret as my hair needed washing!

Finally, let's have a look at the amazing brooch I pinned to my jumper. It's a vintage, gold-rimmed Lucite brooch encasing a posy of delicate garden pinks. 



Although there were plenty of sunny spells that day, we hardly left the house, as we had a couple of jobs to tackle, making space in our basement for the imminent arrival of the new washing machine.

The day's only outing took us to our garage to pick up the car and load it up with boxes and bags of donations to be taken to the charity shop on Monday. Well, it had to be done some time, and now was as good a time as any.

Meanwhile, I am counting down the days to our little break. We'll be off on Wednesday, but I'll be squeezing in another post before we leave. Hope to see you again then!




34 comments:

  1. I'm hoping that there might be a wee T2 day next week!!!! Fingers crossed I might be lucky!
    I love your finds- the first pussy bow blouse is beautiful!
    Ha, welll done for finding the mislabelled/priced skirt! I love it when that happens!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I now know there was, and that you did rather well too! The pussy-bow blouse is one of my favourite recent finds, and I loved wearing it too! xxx

      Delete
  2. Beautiful handbag, what a great find! Vitamins D and C are vital. It's recommended to go high on C, 1000 mg a day especially if colourful cardigans are not improving health and state of mind enough. All the best! Winter ist the hardest for me too.

    xxx Regula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Regula! A dose of Vitamins D and C, plus some colourful attire it is then! xxx

      Delete
  3. Sorry to hear about the fatigue Ann, I hope as the days start to become a little longer that you will feel better. It’s been a strange year so far, one I’ve not settled into yet. It’s nice to pop in and see what you’ve both been up to. I love the two blouses you found and as always you are looking lovely in your unique style.
    Philip sends his love as do I. Enjoy your trip xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to hear from you Lynn! To be honest, I don't think I've settled into the year yet either. Sending love to you both from the two of us. I'm hoping we can meet in June? xxx

      Delete
  4. I do so look forward to your posts. I love everything about them. Although I'm made a tad envious with all your beautiful finds. Not such rich pickings here in my part of the world. The Victorian Pharmacy book looks very interesting and I will now be seeking out the series which I'm hoping is available on catch up. Ruth Goodman once rather frightened my son when he was at an impressionable age. I think it was the Victorian farm series. She stripped off to wash herself, standing in a bowl of hot water her rather hirsute legs were given a BBC close up, it sent him running from the room !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jean! I know I've been lucky at the charity shops lately. Oh, and I think I do remember that episode, which was indeed the Victorian farm series ;-) xxx

      Delete
  5. Hello! It's great that I could read your wonderful blog post :) Very interesting and very inspiring! Warm greetings from Poland and I wish you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is totally understandable that February has been a bit blue so far. The weather and the shorter month makes everything feel a little off. I totally understand! Oh, how exciting that you have a trip to look forward to. That can definitely brighten the mood! How wonderful that you are able to enjoy three day weekends every now and then. It is nice when you are able to choose an outfit based on mood and not have to be so prepared! Your outfits are always so gorgeous and thoughtful. Decluttering and reorganizing makeup is always a daunting task, but it tends to feel nice afterwards! OH the blouse with the bow in a center! I love it! How beautiful! Amazing that you were able to find some good books as well. I am the same as you - I prefer to shop in physical stores as well. It just makes life so much easier. Wow wow wow. That last outfit is divine! You look amazing!

    the creation of beauty is art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comment, Shannon. So please I'm not the only one who prefers shopping in physical stores! xxx

      Delete
  7. Your groovy dress is amazing and suits you so well!
    Humming a Sex Pistols song is really hard.😂🤭
    a short vacation is coming up, I'm glad. you can charge your „batteries“ there.
    with a huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina! I think humming a Sex Pistols song is indeed quite impossible! xxx

      Delete
  8. love that op art pattern on the first dress - and the belt you wear with!
    and i´m too have a weak spot for pussy bow blouses and "special" patterned skirts - good finds......
    well done organizing your cosmetics.
    the days are recognizable longer now and even foggy much lighter! i to need that light very much :-D
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beate! It's hard to resist a pussy bow blouse! Hurray for longer and lighter days ... Winter has gone on long enough now! xxx

      Delete
  9. So sorry to hear you're battling fatigue. I think our immune systems are taking a battering now.
    But you've done incredibly well on the wombling front!
    I absolutely love your new pussy bow blouse which looks very cool with that cord skirt and isn't that cable car print delightful? Another Phillipa Gregory too! I'm really savouring Tidelands - very twisty and turny.
    Avon have always created quirky collectible toiletries. I still have a daisy brooch somewhere with a secret compartment containing solid perfume. I'll have to dig it out.
    Rest up! You definitely deserve this trip! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire! The trip did me a lot of good, but I already need another one, I think. Ooh, that daisy brooch sounds intriguing! xxx

      Delete
  10. Some glorious goodies you found. The tiny handbag is a gem.
    Have a fabulous break in Bruges. I always enjoy your photos, I feel like I have been there! Carole x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry to hear you have been feeling a little blue. Our winter has been surprisingly mild with a decent amount of sunny days.
    I love you birds in flight pin and skirts with pockets.. that is the dream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hena! Our Winter has actually been quite mild too ... until now! xxx

      Delete
  12. Oh, that is such a lovely dress you're wearing. I adore the multi-coloured 'bubbles' on it; it reminds me of a children's game whose name won't come to mind just now. I loved all your outfits and I liked how warm sounding your skirts were as well as looking fab.

    Didn't you do well on your rummages? The grey pussy bow blouse was a fabulous find and my favourite.

    What a shame about the washing machine and what a brilliant thing the Eurocheques are. Wish our government would follow suit.

    Glad to hear you have a break away coming up. Hope you have a fantastic time.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vronni! The pussy-bow blouse was my favourite find too, and I absolutely loved wearing it as well. As for the Ecocheques, you can even spend them in the charity shops :-) xxx

      Delete
  13. Beautiful outfits. Moving is always stressful, office moving included. I hope you feel better soon and find time to rest.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad January is behind us - February always brings glimpses of spring flowers, which is better than the dull grey of the first month of the year.

    Lovely outfits, Ann - I am very taken with your roses top, and the striped jumper with the pink skirt. Oh gosh, I remember those "lady slipper" soaps from Avon from the early 80s, I think. What a score on the Essentiel Antwerp skirt! Well done!

    It's so nice to have a mini-getaway planned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila! I always have to think of you when I come across Essentiel Antwerp in the charity shops. I recently wore another skirt by them, charity shopped last year! xxx

      Delete
  15. Fabulous outfits especially the floral jumper with the red, wool blend skirt, very Springlike and pretty!
    Great finds, isn't it funny how many Phillipa Gregory books pop up once you get into them? You can understand why she's so popular!
    I remember the Avon soaps, too. I had a boyfriend who bought me a box of heart shaped ones with a key in the middle, I was mortified at the time, they were like something you'd buy your granny!
    You're nearly there now! Here's to a wonderful break. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix! I totally get why you were mortified by that present, I would have been too :-) xxx

      Delete
  16. To late! Now I will have pretty vacant in my head all day long, thank you...... I love so many things here, at first the first dress you are wearing! Wow, I'm totally impressed with the print and colours. And then the push bow blouse!! Gosh, love that one, and on that skirt..... oh oh oh, I can picture myself in it with that cute purse, standing in a mansion in the English Country side!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, sorry (not!) :-)
      Will have to take that purse to England than, to perfect my Lady of the Manor poses! xxx

      Delete
  17. Sorry to hear you've been feeling tired and dispirited, totally understand it.
    However, it's a joy to see you rocking your beautiful outfits, and so uplifting colours. Love that geometric print in purple shades and the stunning yellow-amber colour brooch.
    Love particularly that turquoise skirt with red birds, and love how you accessorized it with more birds in the form of a cute brooch!. And I have to agree that the rose patterned jumper and wool skirt are a match made in heaven!
    Admiring your fabulous purchases too!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica! I absolutely loved wearing that bird patterned skirt. Will have to create another outfit with it soon! xxx

      Delete