Tuesday 21 February 2023

A welcome break

It truly beggars belief that the short break we'd been looking forward to for all those weeks is over and done with. As these little treats are wont to do, it was over in the blink of an eye. Time flies when you're having fun and all that ... 

Even though the weather gods tried to throw a spanner or two in the works, we enjoyed every single moment. We even had a treat within a treat to look forward to on Thursday, but I'm pacing myself here, so you'll have to wait for my next post to find out what it was. Oh, don't you just love a cliffhanger?


For now, I am taking you back to the Sunday preceding our tiny holiday. Same as Saturday, which we spent experimenting with my new camera in the park, Sunday the 12th of February was of the gloomy variety. The temperature refused to climb higher than 8°C, which I guess isn't bad for the time of year. However, aided by the lack of sunshine, there was a bit of a nip in the air.

Nothing more strenuous than pottering around and making a start with packing was on the menu and I only stepped outside into the passageway very briefly to show you what I was wearing.

Some of you might recognize the Prince of Wales plaid pussy bow blouse I'd found in a charity shop the other week. Instead of pairing it with the caramel button-through cord skirt I dressed Angelica in, I decided to do a spot of pattern mixing, picking a chevron patterned plaid skirt in browns, oranges and a dash of white, which I wrestled off a charity shop dummy in January 2022.




The blouse, by the way, was such a joy to wear. I loved its slightly balloony sleeves and the way the giant pussy bow flopped over my chocolate brown cable knit tank top. The latter was charity shopped back in December. Both the lady brooch I pinned to it and my translucent yellow plastic ring were flea market finds, while I stumbled upon the snoots (a.k.a. snake print boots) in a vintage per kilo shop at the end of November.

The colour palette might be fairly muted for me, but I mentally gave the outfit an A+ as I felt absolutely fantastic in it. In fact, I wore it again in its entirety on Monday, my final working day before signing off for the rest of the week.



As if on cue, the sun, who had taken absence of leave for the whole weekend, gleefully returned on Monday, when she shone brightly in an even brighter blue sky.

Thankfully work was fairly quiet, as my brain was already gearing into holiday mode. My lunch break took me towards Think Twice where another one of their famous sales was in full swing, with everything going at 50% off. Riffling through the rail of skirts, I pounced upon this flouncy Viscose biscuit coloured and flower printed one. The stretchy black and off-white chevron patterned belt was a no-brainer. I now have four of these belts, all with slightly different buckles!




And then it was Tuesday and the start of my holiday! Well, we were only leaving on Wednesday, but I thought having an extra day to sleep just that little bit longer, get into the mood and tie up some loose ends wouldn't be a bad idea. I'd finished most of the packing on Sunday, but still needed to decide which clothes to take. Not my forte, I must admit.

These are the two outfits which made the grade, complete with cardigans and accessories. It might have been another sun-drenched day with highs of 12°C, the weathermen couldn't seem to agree on the forecast for the next days, so I packed some camisoles, short and long sleeved t-shirts and a flannel lined slip to layer underneath as required.



We were overjoyed to wake up to a repeat of Tuesday's weather on Wednesday. The sun was still very much with us when, with slightly heavy hearts, we bade Bess goodbye just after lunch, arriving at our destination just over an hour later.

After a catch-up chat with Veronique, accompanied by coffee and home-made cake, we made our way to our room, Chocolat, which is located in an annexe opposite the stables. All the rooms are named after sweet things, by the way, the others being Caramel, Nougat and Cuberdon, which is a dusky purple cone-shaped Belgian candy. 


We got our luggage out of the car and reacquainted ourselves with our tastefully decorated luxury suite. 

While I took some photographs of its still pristine and uncluttered condition, Jos had a little rest.  I couldn't help but notice how well the colour of his favourite burnt orange corduroy shirt matched that of the armchair cushions in the background, while his trousers matched the bed's grey quilted headboard.



Let's proceed to the en-suite bathroom with its whirlpool bath which we'd be making use of every night of our stay.

There's a huge walk-in shower as well, although there's no denying a certain horror movie vibe in the photo I took in the waning afternoon light later that day.

Still experimenting with my Sony Cybershot, I was pleased to find it makes an excellent mirror selfie, which is definitely a first for me. Here's me wearing one of my all-time favourite Diolen frocks, accessorized with loads of mustard in the form of a suede belt, opaques and long-line cardi. I travelled in my caramel mock croc boots but wore my sturdy pair of fleece-lined chocolate brown ones for our outings.



Speaking of which, the weather was simply too gorgeous to stay put in our room. It was mid-afternoon by then, so we didn't want to venture too far from the B&B, opting for a bracing walk in Bulskampveld, a provincial domain which is practically on its doorstep.



The gateway to the extensive domain and nature reserve of about 230 hectares is the visitor centre - now closed for the season - located in a neo-Gothic style castle dating from 1887. Our afternoon stroll took us through the castle park laid out in the inevitable English landscape style, offering glimpses of the castle across the lake, the by now slightly hazy sunshine illuminating its red brick façade.



There were wooden adventure platforms and play huts to entertain and educate tiny people like me, majestic trees framing glorious panoramas and even a rare example of the elusive terracotta pot tree!



Established in 1980 on the site of the castle's former kitchen garden is the herb garden which boasts 400 or so species of medicinal and kitchen herbs, the majority of which were waiting impatiently for Spring to wake them from dormancy. Quite a contrast with our previous visit when the garden was basking in the heat of an August afternoon.



You'd be forgiven for thinking that the castellated tower is part of the castle, but it's not. It is actually a water tower, which was built in the 1890s. Lushly creeper-clad in the Summer months, now all that is left are the climber's tentacle-like branches which seem intent on strangling the life out of the poor thing. Originally, the tower was topped by a mill which pumped up water from a well, with a clock-like instrument indicating the height of the water supply.



The Hellebores in our garden might be on their last legs, this magnificent specimen of Helleborus foetidus, a.k.a. Stinking Hellebore, was definitely in its prime.

As sniffing the plant won't make you wrinkle your nose in disgust, the stinking adjective might seem quite undeserved. It is only when you crush the leaves that its odour, which is often described as beefy, is produced. Due to the plant's poisonous nature we didn't give it a try, but limited ourselves to admiring its looks and taking its portrait.




Grey clouds had started blanketing the sky while we walked, until all the gaps of blue had once more been obscured. As the sun dipped towards the horizon, she left the faintest of orange glows in her wake.

Would she leave us high and dry again and shift the season back to late Winter rather than early Spring? Only time would tell as, lately, the weathermen seem to be quite untrustworthy!




As we were walking back to the car park, we were distracted by the sight of a folly in the woods. Believing it to be some kind of a Summer house, we tiptoed towards it and peered through its window, behind which a tall plaster statue of Mary was perched on a pedestal.

Erected in 1920, this is a Chapel of Thanksgiving to Our Lady in recognition for the protection of the inhabitants of the village in general and the Lippens family - then owners of the castle - in particular during the First World War.



And then it was time to return to our home away from home for some down time and a relaxing soak in our whirlpool bath.  Followed by Veronique's famous tapas board, of course! 

I hope you'll join me again for Part 2 of my travelogue, which I'll be posting very soon.




36 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmm, I could do with that Tapas board right now! I enjoyed reading about your first walk and prep for the holiday and I have whirlpool bath envy. Huis Koning had a great bath but not a whirlpool!
    The pussybow blouse is really gorgeous and balloon sleeves are so comfortable!
    Kxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kezzie. We did live in the lap of luxury for three days and definitely made the most of that whirlpool :-) xxx

      Delete
  2. Welcome back! Isn't it annoying how quickly these long-awaited trips fly by, you'll have to book another!
    Even though that first outfit is very muted for you I absolutely love it and agree, it's a 10/10 from me!
    Veronique's food and accomodation is sensational, no wonder you keep going back.
    The chapel of Thanksgiving is stunning and that view of the castle from the river bank looks remarkably like good old Wightwick.
    Can't wait for part two! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix! Our next trip will probably be our main UK holiday in June ... Up close, the castle doesn't look anything like Wightwick though, in fact, it doesn't have a patch on it at all ... xxx

      Delete
  3. Time definitely flies when you are having fun...but I am glad that you had a nice break! Oh, that first blouse is so gorgeous. I'm glad that you felt good in it! And the brooch you wore that day was an excellent choice as well. You always look incredible. How excellent that you were able to have a day to sleep in before you went away. The room looks like it was wonderful and luxurious! And how excellent that the weather was nice. The pictures you took are so beautiful. You always explore the most interesting places.

    the creation of beauty is art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for another lovely comment Shannon! xxx

      Delete
  4. finally you made it to your holiday home! of cause you have to come back every year to veronique´s perfect service :-D
    the pussy bow blouse with plaid skirt and "westover" (als we call it) is definitely a winner - A+ indeed.
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beate! We tend to go back again and again to the places we love! xxx

      Delete
  5. It's such an anti climax coming back from a well earned break isn't it?
    I think the muted tones suit you - your outfit looks very classy. I also love the cheery green and mustard combination of your excellent mirror selfie outfit.
    Veronique's place is pristine - the perfect bolthole for a rural escape. I appreciated the nod to Psycho in the bathroom!
    How wonderful to stumble across that folly!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claire, and I'm glad you appreciated the Psycho reference. No shower curtain, though :-) xxx

      Delete
  6. Glad to read that you enjoyed your break, even though time whizzed by. What a lovely place you stayed in, the food looks divine!
    Looking forward to seeing Bruges in part two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carole, it's a lovely place indeed, which is why we keep returning! xxx

      Delete
  7. Well that was a most splendid start to the holiday. How nice to bimble about knowing you have a hot whirlpool to surrender to at end of day, plus tasty tapas. I am very envious as I've just been food shopping and cleaned (most) of the house. looking forward to your next instalment. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jean! That's why we always order the tasty tapas for our first night! xxx

      Delete
  8. How nice that you are back in Veronique's b&b. Are you always going there in februari? What better way to start the vacation then spending time in nature. Perfect way to unwind. And what a delicious tapas board. Looking forward to read more. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy! It's only the second time we were there in February, though. We've been there in March, April and August as well. xxx

      Delete
  9. How very clever of you to take an extra "deep breath" day before your break, Ann! I love your pussy-bow blouse - it reads as almost a pale blue on my screen - and I'm glad it was just as fun to wear!

    Ah, your vacation home away from home looks lovely. Good of Jos to colour-coordinate for your photo - the shower one really caught my eye! Gorgeous gardens/scenery, and my mouth is watering over that tapas board!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm one of those people who need "deep breaths" before and after a holiday :-) xxx

      Delete
  10. Thank you Ann for allowing me to accompany you on vacation. Beautiful days always go by very quickly.
    A+ outfits?! I love the feeling you get when you wear it.with a huge hug Tina
    PS this looks sooo yummy☺️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Tina, and absolutely right about A+ outfits! xxx

      Delete
  11. That tapas board is making my mouth water, I've not had breakfast yet :) It looks like a delightful trip, and I did laugh at you comparing Jos to the decor. The yellow and green outfit is beautiful, and I'm very envious of that lady brooch in your first outfit, it's very unusual. I'm looking forward to installment number 2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Louise! Wasn't it great that Jos matched the decor? xxx

      Delete
  12. Lots of lovely details to comment!.
    Firstly, I love your 'muted colours' ensemble, with the pussy bow blouse and cute plaid skirt, really fab!.
    And totally agree about taking an extra day to pack etc before a travel, so you can take a breath and relax. Those ensembles you picked look perfectly versatile (and some layering makes a difference!).
    Looking lovely in your mirror selfie, that Diolen dress is really fabulous, and mustard and tan shades match it so nicely!.
    So amazing to have such a beautiful walk so near your b&b, so you can enjoy those landscapes before dinner. And such a magnificent dinner!. Really lovely place and great attention to details!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica! That Diolen dress is an absolute favourite of mine and has been for years. But I can see the pussy bow blouse becoming a favourite too! xxx

      Delete
  13. How lovely you got away for a break in a well loved place. And I can see why. The accommodation looks lovely and the surroundings, too.

    I loved all your outfits and the new skirt is really pretty. 4 chevron belts? Ah well they have different buckles so I completely understand...

    I'm glad Jos matched the interior decor...

    Looking forward to part 2.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vronni! Those belts are among my most worn ones, so when a 4th one with yet again a different buckle turned up it just had to come home with me! xxx

      Delete
  14. I'll look forward to the next installment of your travelogue. BTW, happy belated anniversary. The month got away from me, but I wanted to send you both well wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely place to visit! Times goes far too quickly when you're having fun, doesn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh what a wonderous time you had.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oooh, loved part one Ann. I always enjoy how un-cluttered and clean holiday accommodation is. My house always feels grubby when I return, even if we cleaned it before departing! Now I could do with one of Veronique's tapas boards for dinner :) xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lulu, and you are echoing my feelings about returning home from holiday exactly! xxx

      Delete
  18. Lovely cardigans. I haven't found a green one yet, but today I found a beige, rose and blue one with dots. So happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Regula, and I'm glad you've been adding to your collection :-) xxx

      Delete