Friday 26 August 2022

Wall of sound

We started the first week of August with more than just a little trepidation. This, after all, would be the week that the wall between our and our neighbour's properties would be removed. Apart from any other inconveniences, we weren't exactly looking forward to the lack of privacy we'd have to contend with in our kitchen - which has a big window looking out on the passageway - and part of the garden for several days.

Peace and quiet still reigned when we set out on the morning of Monday 1st of August, which would turn out to be another muggy day, with highs of 26°C. 



Cool cottons to the rescue once more! If hot Summers will become our new normal, I guess I'll have to change the name of my blog!

Looking at the photos, I realize that only one item in my whole outfit is vintage (the brooch) and that, apart from the top from the Danish ICHI label, which I charity shopped two Summers ago, everything thing else was bought brand new. 

The necklace, with its colourfully painted wooden disks, came from Accessorize and has been in my collection for many years. The gold tone Gabor sandals were a sales bargain in the Summer of 2019, while I plucked the tiered skirt from a rail of reduced items at C&A while we were shopping for Jos earlier this year. The raffia belt, which has a black twin, was recently found on the high street.



At the office, I tried to bear it as long as I could without having to put on the air-conditioning, but brain melt left me no other option after lunch. It was a bit of a dismal day, particularly as I was on my own,  with only yours truly to moan to, as my colleague had the day off.

Meanwhile, Jos kept me up to date about next door's proceedings. Apparently, our neighbour and his uncle and cousins, who'd come all the way from Austria to help him out, had started clearing the endless piles of rubble from their garden in preparation for the impending building work. So far, so good.



Tuesday dawned sunny, but with quite a bit of wind, which somewhat tempered the 30°C indicated by the thermometer. It was still stiflingly hot, so I needed another one of my cotton frocks to keep me cool.

This bright blue flower and foliage sprinkled one was a gift from Vix back in 2019 which makes it extra special. And how serendipitous that she is wearing the skirt I gave her that same year in her latest post!

Creature of habit that I am, I always seem to pick orange to accessorize it with. I've lost count of the times I've worn this orange belt lately. It's super comfortable as apart from its front panel, it completely consists of a supple elastic. In spite of having its origins in a cheap fast fashion shop, it is still going strong after more than 10 years. The buckle is showing a bit of wear and tear, though, which is easily remedied by regular applications of a dab of orange nail polish!



My necklace and ring were both charity shopped and the brooch is vintage, found on a flea market.

With another Think Twice sales in full swing, I literally hotfooted it to my favourite branch for a browse, and ended up buying two dresses for € 5 each. 

You'll get to see one of the dresses in a minute, but let's have a look at the wall situation first!





As our kitchens were now facing each other unhindered and we were feeling quite exposed, we kept our shutters firmly closed, with only some chinks letting in the tiniest amount of daylight. Initially, our neighbour had promised to screen off the area to make things a bit more comfortable, but it never happened, not even after we'd reminded him a couple of times.

The mess in front and behind our compost bin are the sorry remains of the ivy and climbing Hydrangea which were growing up the wall. When we asked our neighbour to put these on his skip, he initially refused, telling us the skip was meant for building rubble only. However, he later did get rid of it after all. With council collection of garden waste as good as non-existent here, this saved us quite a bit of  hassle! And only rightly so, I think. 
.


The temperature rocketed up to 32°C on Wednesday, so one of the dresses I'd found at Think Twice couldn't have been more perfect for keeping it -  relatively - cool.

Lightweight, sleeveless and with a solid white collar, this greyscale dress printed with black squiggles has an extra trick up its ... err ... sleeve in the form of a pair of deep pockets. It's so satisfying to shove one's hands into them when standing around doing nothing but having one's photo taken!

Its only minus point is its elasticated waist, but that was easy enough to hide under one of my belts.

There was no contest for red as an accent colour, which in addition to the belt, I used for my necklace, ring, cat brooch and another pair of sales bargain Gabor sandals.




No outfit photos were taken on Thursday, so I haven't got the slightest idea what I wore that day. 

My diary tells me the temperature dropped to 27°C, and that it rained both in the morning and again at night.

On our way home, we could hear heavy drilling and the high-pitched screeching sound made by a grinder when we were just half-way down our street. I'll give you three guesses where this terrible racket was coming from ... Obviously it was even worse once we were inside. While the concrete for the new wall's foundation was drying, our neighbour and his three stooges were completely stripping the downstairs rooms. This went on until about 8 pm, but only because we complained, as I'm sure it would have gone on for much longer if we hadn't. 




I had the day off on Friday, but at that point I can't say I was looking forward to the long weekend ahead. There was nothing for it but to make plans to flee the house as much as we could.

I watered the garden first thing, then, after our customary fruit & yoghurt breakfast, we slapped together a couple of sandwiches and were off for a day of rummaging, picnicking and sightseeing.



In between charity shops, we stopped off at one of the forts turned nature reserves surrounding the city of Antwerp, where we found a bench for our picnic. 

With the temperature down to 23°C, I could safely be a Polyester Princess again without breaking into a sweat. For some reason, this vintage frock, its pattern a patchwork of dotty squares in greens and yellows, hadn't been out of my wardrobe for a couple of years at the very least.


This one too has an elasticated waist, which I covered with one of my stretchy belts.

I love the dress's square necklace, although in the above photo I can see one of my bra straps wanting to make an escape. Oh well. 

I kept to greens and yellows for my accessories, and was carrying my current favourite weekend bag, a fast fashion find from the high street back in that age of innocence, Spring 2019.



Here's what I found in the charity shops that day: a silky Summer dress, a lightweight cover-up and a pair of mock croc ankle boots by Van Dal.

There was a short-sleeved shirt for Jos too, which you'll be getting to see in my next post, 
as well as a long-sleeved wrap dress, which I just realized I forgot to photograph.




With most of the afternoon still in front of us, we then continued to the charming little town of Lier. 

In spite of it being less than half an hour's drive from Dove Cottage, we do not visit it very often, unless it is for a social call, as Jos's younger daughter An lives in the town. In fact, we'd made arrangements to meet her later for a drink.



From the car park, there is no chance of missing one of the town's landmarks, the imposing St. Gummarus Church, and particularly its tower, which is popularly known as the "pepper pot".

From 1378 onwards, the former parish church was converted into this beautiful example of Brabant Gothic style. Construction took about 200 years, and influences of baroque and rococo are therefore visible. 

After passing the church and admiring its amusing gargoyles, we walked into the direction of the River Nete, which flows through the town. The striking building with its cheerful red and green shutters is called De Fortuin and was built in the 17th century. Over the centuries it has been used as a grain store, a coal depot, a lemonade factory, a cabinetmaker’s workshop, a town warehouse and a restaurant.



We've now arrived at the Zimmer Square, where the Zimmer Tower, with its captivating Jubilee Clock showing 13 different time indications, is taking pride of place. Both the square and the tower were named after the clock's creator, Louis Zimmer (1888-1970), who donated it to the town of Lier in honour of Belgium's 100th anniversary in 1930.

Too early for our rendez-vous with Jos's daughter, we then walked towards the beguinage for a stroll.

On the bottom left is the central part of the façade of  St. Margaret's Church, built in the 17th-18th century, and dedicated to St. Margaret of Antioch, martyr and patron saint of the beguinage.



The beguinage itself has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1998.

It is a typical 13th century street beguinage with 11 narrow streets and 162 small houses. Most of the houses date from the 17th-18th century. The narrow passageway on the bottom right is called "Hemdsmouwken" (meaning "shirtsleeve") due to its shape, and it is only 98 centimeters wide at one end. It was originally meant as a fire-break to stop fire from spreading from one row of houses to another.



We were gasping for a drink by now and although there was still no sign of Jos's daughter, who had been detained, we made our way back to the square, where we enjoyed one of Belgium's excellent range of non-alcoholic beers. 

Isn't Jos looking splendid in his vintage shirt from Think Twice?

Jos's daughter arrived just in time for another drink and a chat. Then, as our parking ticket was about to expire, she walked us back to the car park where we arrived just in the nick of time.

On our way home, we made plans for next day's escape from the wall of sound - wall of noise would have been more apt here, but doesn't sound as nice -  which you'll read all about in my next post.



41 comments:

  1. Gosh, how awful that work next to you. Its the neighbour going to plant something in stead of the wall? And was it only his wall then? Anyway, it must be very annoying. I booked the ferry! Yeah. We are going with my sister and her partner. What a good looking ankle boots. And I think that dot dress is so wonderful. I love the print! That disc necklace always looks good, it's such a attractive piece. I hope you and Jos will have a good weekend. The weather will be very pleasant here, perhaps with you too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy! There's a new wall already but it isn't finished yet. Our neighbour's extending his kitchen, and his kitchen wall will now be our garden wall! xxx

      Delete
  2. the good thing about building work: it has an end.
    meanwhile you found some pretty hiding places in the wonderful nature reserve and the picturesque town of lier.... love the green-yellow "schrankleiche" - it looks so good on you - you should wear it more often.
    @good look: jos in his "new" shirt makes a good impression :-D
    hugsies! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Beate, it will end ... eventually :-)
      I know, that dress should definitely come out more. I love the word "Schrankenleiche" by the way! xxx

      Delete
  3. Oh goodness. The wall coming down between your properties sounds stressful. Having privacy is so important, so I can understand why that would be inconvenient! Just have to say that the necklace with the painted wooden discs is fabulous. What a great piece! How frustrating that your neighbor promised to screen off the area but never did. Sigh. Isn't that typical? I can't believe the construction work was taking place until 8pm. There is no way work should be allowed to be done that late into the day! Wow. I am so sorry that you have to deal with all of this construction. It's beyond an inconvenience. It really sounds like they are not being good neighbours. On a happier note...I absolutely love that green patchwork dress. It is remarkable!

    the creation of beauty is art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your understanding Shannon. The law here states you can make noise until 10 pm, would you believe it? xxx

      Delete
  4. Hello there Cotton Countess!!! (not quite as Catchy as Polyester Princess but....)
    Your cotton dresses and skirts are gorgeous- I LOVE the Vix one- so pretty!! I just had to get rid of a lovely button up cotton dress-with a darling boat print- it's just too tight on me now and I am sad about it- luckily, gave all my beloved but too tight dresses to my 12 year old niece who stayed with us last night. It's quite gratifying to realise that a year ago, I was wearing dresses that a 12 year old now fits into! Sad, I have increased in size and not able to zip them up though!
    Ah, the work sounds awful! I could not cope with that banging!!!!!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If push comes to shove, I'll settle for Cotton Countess :-)
      Is it the Seasalt dress? What size is it? If you remember I've got a similar one. Perhaps mine would fit you better. I don't wear it much anyway ... xxx

      Delete
    2. Mine was a size 8 and it WAS a Seasalt one!!!! You have a very good memory!!!!xxx

      Delete
  5. Oh Ann, it sounds as though you are having quite a stressful time of it and I can't for the life of me understand why your neighbours are being so awkward - surely they would like some privacy too? Cats are much easier to get on with than some people don't you think?

    On a brighter note, I love all of your outfits and glad that you have also embraced cotton to stay cool. The dress that Vix gave you is gorgeous (and after a quick re-visit to Vix's blog, the skirt you gifted her is a stunner!) The greyscale dress with red accessories also looks amazing on you and of course that green and yellow dress with the square necklace - wonderful!

    Lier looks like a fascinating town. I love the Jubilee clock and reading all about the beguinage.

    Hoping the noise subsides very soon. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely agree that cats are much easier to get on with than some people. We hardly went into the garden while the wall was down. Luckily, it didn't take too long for the new one to be high enough to regain some of our privacy! xxx

      Delete
  6. What a pretty grey dress, accented by lovely red jewelry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cotton Candy ähm Princess 🤭😁 Good you have a trip in this nice town and met Jos‘s daughter. I love your amazing outfits.
    I hope the work on the wall finished soon.
    With a very huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina! I rather like Cotton Candy :-) xxx

      Delete
  8. Good luck with "the wall situation". Thankfully, you have a lot of distractions. Regula

    ReplyDelete
  9. I fully understand how you feel when the neighbours are renovating , the noise of the machinery does get you down. I do hope the work is speedy and your privacy returns.
    Even though they are cotton your cool and colourful dresses are wonderful and as always beautifully styled.
    Nice that you could escape and catch up with Jos's daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jill! Although not finished for a long time yet, the noisiest bits seem to be over for now! xxx

      Delete
  10. Like you and the fabulous skirt you gave me, I'd forgotten all about that dress - it fits you like a dream! Loving the other outfits, too and Jos's shirt is fantastic. Great scores, too - who knew Van Dal made cool things like those boots? They were always known for sensible granny shoes in my youth (my Grandma was a fan!)
    Lier looks absolutely beautiful, what a lucky girl Jos's younger daughter is.
    I'm sorry about the continuing noise. I'm glad you persuaded the neighbour to dispose of the garden waste, it's the least he can do. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix! I didn't know Van Dal was known for sensible granny shoes! I used to have a pair of gorgeous pink sandals by them - found in a UK charity shop - but I sold them on as they didn't agree with my feet. So much for sensible shoes ... xxx

      Delete
  11. Hope that those renovation works go quickly to an end and you recover your privacy asap!. So annoying!
    Lovely to see your delightful cotton dresses, dear 'Cotton Countess' ;DD
    Your not-vintage C&A skirt is a fab piece, and love that floral dress that Vix picked for you!. Totally in love with the grayscake dress with red accessories, so fresh and breezy ensemble!. Same for the yellow and green dress with the cute necklace and brooch, looking so fab!
    Glad that you could escape to such a beautiful place and enjoy a walk, some social life and a nonalcoholid beer. Totally my kind of fun!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica! I'm more than OK with Cotton Countess, by the way :-)
      Privacy has been more or less returned although there's no end to the renovation work yet! xxx

      Delete
  12. I invested in some noise-cancelling headphones after two summers of various neighbours making construction noise. They've turned out to be a great investment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nikki! I'll have to look into some of those! xxx

      Delete
  13. What strikes me is the level of rudeness your neighbour is exhibiting. Sure, some noise in a construction project can't be avoided but a reasonably polite person would try to smooth things over by being as accommodating as possible with trash, hours, etc. Hell, a fruit basket and a few sets of earplugs in advance would have been a kind gesture, but instead you get a ruckus and a bad attitude. I will never understand these entitled sorts. Anyway, I hope it is over soon and you can get some of those frosted window treatments that let light in without ever having to set eyes on them again. Or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think they're being rude on purpose, but they simply don't understand why the noise Etc. bothers us so much. Here in Belgium you're allowed to make noise until 10 pm, so they think they are already doing us a favour by stopping at 8 or 8.30. Anyway, the wall is up in the meantime, so at least our privacy has been restored! xxx

      Delete
  14. The blue dress from Vix is cute. I love your white dress, and I really like the red accents you have added to the outfit.
    xoxo
    Lovely
    www.mynameislovely.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a flipping hassle all the noise and building works. I do hope by now it has finished!

    Some wonderful dresses here, Ann. The yellow and green one with squares was lovely much too nice to be hidden away. Fabulous accessories as always. I loved your red and green necklaces in particular and the fab cat brooch.

    Great finds at the chazza; I saw your beautiful new wrap dress on IG. The mock croc boots are gorgeous. You must have an ankle boot radar because you always find such wonderful ones!

    Lier looks like an amazing place to visit and the beguinage was fascinating. How did Phoebe cope with all the noise and upset? I bet she stayed under the bed/sofas!

    Wishing you peace and quiet...
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vronni! It has somewhat quietened down for now, but it's not finished in a long way. Bess seems to be taking it all in her stride, except for the really noisy bits! xxx

      Delete
  16. Oh wow I am sorry your neighbor took down the privacy wall that is terrible I would be mad. On a lighter note you look great in all of these fun colorful looks. And indeed I hear it has been VERY hot there. Here too but we are use to it.

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Allie, and I'm glad to let you know that privacy has been restored in the meantime! xxx

      Delete
  17. Cool cotton to the rescue. The yellow pattern top matches with the red patterned skirt so well. I also like how you accessorized with that statement necklace and a vintage brooch.
    Gorgeous outfits, all of them!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello 23 degree once again Polyester Princess! I remember well the Pepper Pot from a previous post and the Zimmer Tower clock is very fine too. It must be a strange sensation to walk down the 'Hemdsmouken' if it gets narrower and narrower :0 ! You seem to have a rather better selection on non-alcoholic beer in Belgium - and old fashioned beer beer too no doubt!. Of course Jos looks fab in his shirt. You are a very dapper couple :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lulu! We really do have a wonderful selection of tasty non-alcoholic beer - and old-fashioned ones too obviously! The "Hemdsmouwken" is nothing compared with a ally I once walked through in the north of France. I could hardly squeeze myself through its narrowest part! xxx

      Delete
  19. The dotty squares dress is excellent. The noise of building definitely *not* excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've no idea why I've been neglecting that dress for so long, and yes, indeed, the building noise was far from excellent :-) xxx

      Delete
  20. The building sounds really unbearable, how long is it supposed to go on for?

    I love the Zimmer tower, and, as usual, seeing what colour accessories you put with each outfit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura! I think we're over the worst of the building work, but our neighbour is definitely taking his time ... xxx

      Delete