Saturday 6 June 2020

Walk on the wild side

What a difference a week makes! Yesterday's torrential rains and tempestuous winds have left significantly cooler temperatures in their wake, making it almost unimaginable that only a week ago we were able to have breakfast in the garden.

Saturdays are synonymous with Jos's cooked breakfasts, so we took our plates of bacon omelettes to our little corner in the courtyard, using the barrel as a side table for our butter dish and coffee pot.


My outfit that day was based around one of the infamous missing dresses which I'd unearthed from that overlooked suitcase. With its vibrant orange, pink, navy and white plaid pattern, it is the perfect dress for a sunny day spent in the garden. Plus, it has pockets!

I pinned a pink owl brooch to its collar, added a pink beaded necklace and wore a raffia belt at my waist. The red slingbacks are Clarks and were picked up in a charity shop in Bridgnorth during last June's blogger meet-up with Vix and Jon. 


In spite of the gorgeous weather, I was feeling a bit blue that day, which I tried to alleviate by planting out the new stuff we'd brought home from the garden centre on Friday. 

My spirits more or less restored, I caught up with blog reading and commenting after lunch, and then worked on my new blog post, which I would publish that evening.


Then it was back into the garden for a another watering session, while being spied upon by a panther hiding among the ferns. I admired the abundantly flowering lilac Lobelias in the passageway and was overjoyed to see that the first flower had opened in our Geranium 'Rozanne', one of the hardy Geraniums I'd planted back in April.



Tired of spending almost all our time at home, apart from my office days and our weekly trips to the garden centre, we were determined to go for a ramble on Sunday.

Due to the restrictions, it had been months since we'd been for a proper walk. Initially, at the start of Belgium's lockdown light, we hadn't been allowed to go for non-essential drives, so that we could only go for local walks. This rather limited our options and, not surprisingly, our local green spaces were far too crowded for comfort, so that we avoided them like the plague.

Last Sunday, a couple of weeks after these restrictions had been lifted, we thought it safe to drive a bit further afield, reasoning that most people would have been bored of walking by now. 


Our destination of choice was our favourite nature reserve, Blaasveldbroek, which is about a thirty minute drive from where we are. Those of you who have been following my blog for a while have visited this magical place with me many a time.

The reserve, which comprises about 675 hectares, is a watery wonderland of marshland, brooks, ponds and lakes, the majority of which is only two to three metres above sea level.



Our hearts made huge leaps of joy the minute we stepped out of the car and, armed with our faithful walking sticks and a picnic, we set off among the meandering sandy paths, bordered by reeds through which the first of the tranquil, tree-bordered ponds could be glimpsed.

The scent of early Summer was carried by a gentle breeze, the pollen rich air tickling our nostrils.



We sighed contentedly as it was utter bliss to be walking these paths again, with only the calls of the birds and the polyphonic buzzing of insects for company.

At intervals, other walkers crossed our path, but as we had opted to stay away from the well-trodden paths, we were mostly on our own.


We took our time to stand and stare and enjoy the wide variety of wildflowers growing here, including the pink delights of Ragged Robin, Red Campion and Herb Robert, frothy white Cow Parsley and cheerful yellow Flag Iris.



A mighty chorus of frogs accompanied us until we drew nearer, and it suddenly quietened down.

Peering over the railing of one of the wooden jetties placed at intervals over one of the brooks, we spotted several of the cleverly camouflaged creatures, one or two making leaps of faith into the weedy water.


The sun hid behind the clouds once or twice, but she soon re-appeared, shining brightly in a picture perfect blue sky dotted with equally picturesque cotton wool clouds.

A faint rumbling in our stomachs made us realize it was past lunch time, so we retraced our steps to a bench we'd passed earlier to have an illicit picnic. Incredulously, until a couple of days ago, people weren't allowed to sit down anywhere - on a bench or otherwise -  even at the required distance from others or if there was no one else around for miles. As we were of the opinion that this was a completely ludicrous restriction, especially in an almost deserted nature reserve, we couldn't care less and sat down anyway.



The flower meadow print of my dress attracted many a buzzing insect, not all of them completely harmless, so I kept on my lightweight pink cardi to deter them, even if it was warm enough to go without. My sunhat and sunnies (€ 0,50 charity shopped Rodenstock frames with prescription lenses) were essentials, as was the eternal hand sanitizer in my red vintage cross-body bag.

The pink floral trainers - a rare pair without those ubiquitous ugly white soles - were a Shrewsbury charity shop find last June.



Near the end of our walk we came across a bench with a magical view across a tranquil lake, where we daringly sat down to rest our weary feet and backs, while watching the antics of a couple of nesting coots.

I'm not sure if there were any baby coots as yet, but Daddy Coot was in the process of dragging along a fairly long blade of grass to the island nest, where Mama Coot was patiently waiting his return.



After taking endless photographs with my proper camera, here I am crouched down at the lakeside, taking some with my phone's camera. Funnily enough, the one below turned out to be the best of the bunch.


Sunshine, blue sky, wispy clouds and a waterlily lake: at that blissful moment in time it was the best view in the world.

And then I just knew that all will be fine in the end.



29 comments:

  1. It's so good you got to go out for a walk in the nature reserve! We had the no sitting rule too here! When it was lifted and we could have picnics again my sister and I had a big picnic - it was wonderful! So good to get out and enjoy things again!

    Hope you are having a lovely weekend! We had a (small, due to restrictions) party for my son's birthday yesterday, it was really fun :)

    Away From Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mica! It was utter bliss being able to go for a walk in one of our favourite places. We didn't want to go home and kept extending our walk, which we were both feeling the next day :-) xxx

      Delete
  2. The insects think you are a mobile flower area. Flowers to go 😉
    I habe the same "problem" if I wear yellow. You live in a wonderful area of nature. Thank you for these wonderful pictures.
    I am totaly in love with the pink owl. ❤️
    With a very huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina! Well, I'm often mistaken for a field of flowers when out walking :-) The owl was loved by many, including one of my real life friends, so I did go out and buy one for her birthday in a little shop in Antwerp! xxx

      Delete
  3. It gladdens my soul to see you and Jos out and about at Blaasveldbroe again! What a joyous experience your trip out must have been for you both and the weather looked utterly perfect. Good for you for flouting the rules and having a sit down, some of these restrictions are just plain crazy!
    Love the panther lurking in the garden - what a pretty girl she is - and those red slingbacks took me right back to the day you found them, it was like they were waiitng for you. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix! I do hope your trip to the NT garden was just as joyous. I've been a very strict follower of all the rules, but I thought this one was just plain crazy too. Initially, I didn't even know it wasn't allowed, so I'm afraid I flouted the rules without even knowing :-) xxx

      Delete
  4. Oh isn't that just where you get energy from! Nature! That is such a beautiful area where you walked. Or it looks beautiful, I don't know it if course. We went for a walk to today, but it was too crowded for my liking. That dress with the pink in it is gorgeous. And the pockets make it super perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! If I can't go for a walk in nature at regular intervals, I just get moody and lethargic. But it's only fun when it's not crowded! We were afraid it would be more crowded than usual, but luckily it wasn't! xxx

      Delete
  5. I'm so pleased you got out for a proper ramble. I would have gone completely bonkers during this lockdown if I hadn't been able to go out for a ramble. The nature reserve looks like such a great place to walk. I bet your picnic tasted even better given that it was illicit!

    Loved both your outfits and your sunhat!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vronni! I admit I was going a bit bonkers, but as there isn't much green space where we can actually walk around here, we hardly ever went as everywhere was quite crowded. So good that we can now venture further afield! xxx

      Delete
  6. Closing down parks and restricting sitting in them (!!) seems overly cautious to me. Our parks were only closed to overnight camping, and of course physical distancing was in effect. I'm so glad you bent the rules and got out for a ramble. I can feel in your writing how much that restored you, Ann!

    I love the picture of Phoebe peering between the plants (you will laugh when you get my letter). Your first outfit is wonderful - I just bought a tweedy jacket in those colours that would go so well with it! I love those red slingbacks too, and your red cross-body purse, plus your pink trainers (mine are pink too!).

    Eating out in the garden looks like an absolute treat! Wow, L could not cook a fancy breakfast to save his life, but he does make a mean tuna salad sandwich! Well done, Jos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Sheila, that's what it seemed to me too. One of my friends went for a walk in a different nature reserve and she said all the benches had been cordoned off! How crazy is that? Indeed I laughed (and cried) when I got your letter, even if Phoebe does look cuter than she does in real life! xxx

      Delete
  7. Blaasveldbroek is so beautiful. How nice you have a marshland only half an hour drive from where you live. It is an enchanting area. I find wetlands and marshlands fascinating. It is wonderful to get out after being closed in. Here life has returned to normal. I like what you wore for your outing. Your hiking outfit is very stylish. Beautiful photos. I love the outfit you first wore as well.That tartan dress looks amazing on you and I do like that belt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivana! I too love wetlands and marshlands. Glad to hear that life has returned to normal. Restrictions are being eased here, but we are a long way still from normal. xxx

      Delete
    2. Yes, I heard that the situation there isn't good yet.

      Delete
  8. Being in the country is so restorative, lovely photos Ann x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sally, it is definitely soul soothing! Glad we were finally able to get there! xxx

      Delete
  9. So many lovely photos. That breakfast sounds delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel like I’ve had a lovely day out and been on that walk and picnic with you.
    We had a lovely walk in Healey Dell Nature Reserve which is below our house, last week and the Tearoom has a little cart outside selling drinks and food. Sadly though there was nowhere to sit so we walked with our takeout coffee and cookies.
    You are further along with places opening than we are Ann, it’s interesting to read how things are moving.
    I’m going to look for my red slingback shoes tomorrow. I’ve had them about 7 years but I haven’t had them on for ages.
    Philip sends his love and is enjoying hearing all your news.
    Love to you both xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say it enough but I think it must be heaven having a nature reserve at your doorstep! Takeout coffee and cookies on the go sounds OK to me! We've had many a standing up picnic if there were no benches or they were too wet! Those red slingbacks were one of my best finds ever, plus they make me think of Vix, as she was with me when I found them! xxx

      Delete
  11. A walk in a beautiful park can be such a good thing! We get short walks around the neighbourhood, but it just isn't the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Goody! Short neighbourhood walks do tend to get a bit boring in the end ... xxx

      Delete
  12. beside of digging in garden soil - a walk in a almost people-free nature reserve is the best to restore ones moods & energy!!
    your breakfast spot in the garden is totally gorgeous - wish you lots of mild mornings this summer to enjoy it. i did enjoy your fabulous dresses - you look gorgeous in both!
    hugsies! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beate, and you're absolutely right about that. You cannot beat a bit of digging in the garden or going for a ramble. The sunny mornings have gone for now, but I'm sure they'll be back. And in the meantime, we got some well needed rain! xxx

      Delete
  13. woww, I'm in love with your 'missing dress', such a fab print and colors!. And Pockets!, so it actually ticks all the boxes!. The brooch is such a lovely piece!
    And I'm glad to see that you went for a proper walk in this amazing place, enjoying some quiet paths and even a picnic!. It sounds like heaven!. I'm patiently waiting for the people get bored of walking so I can go back to my favourite paths near the river.
    Lovely photos indeed, I'm enjoying them so much!. And loving your sneakers!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica! Pockets do make everything better don't they? We were a bit apprehensive on our way to the nature reserve, thinking there would be more walkers than usual, which happily didn't turn out to be the case! xxx

      Delete
  14. What a serene, immensely lovely nature reserve. Thank you tremendously for taking us along on this peaceful trek through the great outdoors. On this end, we're opting to remain in strict self-isolation, so seeing this much of the wide open wilderness again really did feel like a welcome breath of fresh, sun-kissed air.

    Autumn Zenith 🧡 Witchcrafted Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Autumn! I do hope you'll get to enjoy the wide open wilderness before long! xxx

      Delete