Sunday 21 June 2020

If you go down to the woods today

After a rather restless night, I wasn't at all ready to get up at our usual time on Saturday before last.

I had been tossing and turning, jolting awake every hour to check the alarm clock which is at Jos's side of the bed. As I'm obviously not wearing my glasses at night, I had to squint really hard to decipher the digits, by which time I was far too awake to go back to sleep instantly, resulting in more tossing and turning.

It was the night when we would have set our alarm clock for 3.30 am to start our annual trek to the UK, which of course this year isn't happening. All through the day, I kept checking the clock and imagining where we would have been by then. As we have made the journey countless times before, I kept seeing the landmarks we would have been passing in my mind's eye. Always a nerve-wracking experience, we would even gladly have tackled the M25!

Oh Corona, so much to answer for ...



But back to Saturday, which not only had a slow start, but needed the wearing of a favourite outfit to cheer me up. Clothing as armour, as the wise Sheila would say!

Is she, or isn't she, you may wonder. Well, yes, I am. Wearing a jumpsuit, that is! After having scoured the charity shops for months, I found this one in a high street shop just over two years ago. I definitely haven't regretted my purchase as it has earned its acclaim as a wardrobe staple by now.

The fruit-and-veg necklace, which has a matching bracelet, was a charity shop find, as were the two bangles. Both the orange belt, which is an old favourite, and the yellow flower corsage, were retail buys at one time or another.



It had been raining on and off since Friday evening and overnight our garden had received a good soaking. The perfect weather, of course, for our garden's population of slugs and snails to have a field day. The one on the top left was preening itself in the mirror in the passageway after gorging on the gourmet food on offer.

The one and only flower bud in our Oriental poppy was getting itself ready to reveal its precious cargo. I inadvertently photographed an alien playing hide and seek behind it, with its eyes on stalks spying on me. It really pays to click on the collage and enlarge it. Isn't it scary? I wonder what it is!


We'd been gearing ourselves up all morning to put up the trellis in the newly cleared border and add the plants we'd bought on Friday. But by the time we finally made it into the garden, the sun had decided to put in an appearance, turning the spot in question into a heat trap.

Nevertheless, Jos persevered in putting up the trellis against the old and partly crumbling concrete wall separating our garden from next door's. Some of the tangle of Euonymus and gooseberry stems had to be removed, so we picked the poor berries, which were in their first blush, for further ripening inside. Don't worry, we still have more than enough berry-dripping stems left.



With the trellis in place, I already positioned the plants in their designated spaces, deciding to keep the actual planting for another day. We weren't exactly relishing the thought of the serious digging we would have to do before we could plant the Clematis. 


Instead, we gave in to our lethargic state of mind and just let it be. 

Little black rain clouds to match our moods were trying in vain to chase away the innocent whites. 

A host of Fuchsia ballerinas who were dancing with the blue sky as a backdrop were joined by two of the Echinacea flowers who'd donned their fancy tutus, with the soundtrack provided by the busy buzzing bees.

Yes, I was in that frame of mind!



Fooling around with a cheap fish-eye lens for my phone's camera, I made some otherworldly snaps of the garden. The fish-eye effect makes our garden looks much bigger than it actually is!



Still feeling jittery - and doing Jos's head in - on Sunday morning, I desperately needed to get out of the house for a soul restoring walk.

In order to avoid meeting too many other Sunday walkers, we drove down to a park in a neighbouring village around mid morning.

The park in question is one those semi-neglected leafy places, originally landscaped in a style greatly influenced by Capability Brown.


We needn't have worried as apart from some people sunbathing on the main lawn, we only met a handful of other walkers, often accompanied by their dogs, as well as a lady who sat reading a book on one of the benches.

Of course, now that this silly restriction was finally relaxed, we had to sit down on as many benches as possible, making up for lost time.


The winding woodland paths lined with patches of ferns and dotted with delicate pink foxgloves were a delight to walk along, with the sun filtering through the canopy providing a delicious dappled shade. 

Walking on the park's less trodden paths, it was quietly humming with life. Sudden bursts of birdsong mingled with the drowsy buzzing of insects, the snapping of twigs underfoot and the gentle rustling of the leaves.


My short-sleeved cotton vintage frock was a Think Twice bargain back in February. As it still had its tags, this is its very first wear ever. 

I accessorized its indigo, lilac and pink floral pattern with a pink beaded necklace, two pink flower brooches and a lilac vinyl belt. And look, it's got pockets, their tabs as well as the dress's collar made up in a solid indigo with contrasting topstitch.


A sunhat was a necessity but I didn't need the sunglasses I was carrying in my wicker handbag. As you can see, I am wearing my pink floral sneakers again. They have the longest pink satin laces, which have to be tied carefully to avoid tripping over them. I am also wearing socklets to prevent blisters. I'm sure the shoes would have been fine without them, but I thought I'd better be safe than sorry. 



We were making our way towards the park's folly, an ancient ice house with a gazebo on top.

The gazebo can be reached by a narrow winding path spiralling around the mound into which the ice house is built, almost completely hidden behind a barrier of yew hedges.


As passing people on the paths is impossible and would have been extra tricky in this age of social distancing, we had to make sure nobody else was up there.

We'd just reached the top and were about to make some photos when a lady walking her two dogs came up. We chatted while she patiently waited at the end of the path until we'd taken a few snaps. Then we traded places and made our way down the mound again. There wasn't much of a view to be had at this time of year anyway. We were also quite appalled at all the littering, the viewing plantform disfigured by empty beer cans and cigarette butts. 


Back on solid ground, we started walking back towards where we'd parked our car, crossing one of the bridges over the moat - the park was originally part of castle grounds - in order to take a slightly different route. 

Passing through a clearing, we were entranced by the fallen tree on the top left, which we thought  had the look of a long-necked but friendly faced dragon!

Soon we reached our car, but before going home, we stopped at a small open-air garden centre along the way. There are always bargains to be had here, but as it shares its car park with Aldi, we expect it is far too busy to go there during the week. With the supermarket closed on Sunday, all was fine, though.



Of course we couldn't resist buying some plants, which included some shade loving annuals for the passageway, which is hardly getting any sunshine.

The watering can is actually a flat-backed planter we've had for years. Vacated by the remains of the chives it had housed before, it had been languishing empty in a corner. Perfect to disguise the broken back of the old garden chair I've roped in as a plant table, I planted it with a Lobelia and a Begonia, making the sight that greets us when having breakfast even more cheerful!

I'm happy to say that our walk managed to chase away the remainder of my non-holiday blues and that I spent the next week feeling much happier.

Life goes on as they say, and I'm doing my best to grab it with both hands. I do hope that you are doing the same and staying safe!


34 comments:

  1. I've enjoyed many country walks in my new home town since lock-down and I intend on carrying on Ann. I hope the ornamental poppy has survived its visitor! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to hear you've been enjoying country walks in your new home. I wish there was a bit more open countryside near where I live! xxx

      Delete
  2. A good walk can really improve a bad mood. I'm sorry about your holiday.
    Your new dress is beautiful. I love that it has pockets. Your vegetable necklace set is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, a good walk never fails to improve my mood. I'm sure that vegetable necklace would look fab with your tomato dress! xxx

      Delete
  3. I love overgrown gardens and parks. Nature needs less cleaning and pruning. So I think the lovely park you visited is adding to biodiversity. I love your little garden. Flowers are always a cheer-up. I wish you a nice week! Regula

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh you had a wonderful walk. I can imagine how hard it was not travelling to UK and that you are thinking every hour wich landmark you usually pass at this at this time. :(
    You look fabulous in this jumpsuit Ann ❤️
    A very huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina! I've got a bit of a thing for jumpsuits! xxx

      Delete
  5. Clothing as armour, I like that :)
    I’m going to go ahead and just say your poppy friend is, in fact, an alien. It’s rather cute!
    Sometimes it pays to give in to lethargy and just go with it. I believe lethargy exists to remind us to just stop. I’m glad to hear that a walk and a garden centre visit did the trick, I can’t think of anything that wouldn’t be improved by a walk and a visit to ta garden centre…
    I am doing my best to notice the little niceties of our current way of life, I do wonder what I will miss the most when life goes back to ‘normal’…?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might be right about the lethargy thing, Hazel, and I think it's best to let it be when it happens. Whether it was an alien or something else, it certainly didn't do harm to our poppy :-) xxx

      Delete
  6. I havn't seen that much snails here yet. Normally there are so many. We did have something else funny in our garden. Read about it tomorrow. We did the same thing at the end of April when we were suppose to go to the UK. Ah well, the UK is not going away is it, we will go, and you both too, next year. Love the jumpsuit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reason you haven't seen much snails is probably because they are all here at Dove Cottage :-))) xxx

      Delete
  7. I'm loving the jumpsuit, the quirky fruit & veg necklace and that deadstock cotton dress, you look fab in them.
    Your watering can planter is lovely as is the alien you're cultivating. Jos did a cracking job with the trellis, too.
    I'm glad you lovely walk lifted your mood and you were able to sit down and rest on benches along the way. Your descriptions of your woodland walk are so poetic and lovely.
    This time last year we'd just set up our pitch at Glastonbury and were lying around a campfire, exhausted and happy. We'll enjoy it all the more next year! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix! I've got a bit of a thing for jumpsuits ... The trellis is looking even better now that it's got two Clematis climbing their way up it. Must be a wrench to miss Glastonbury. I think we will enjoy everything all the more once we're back to normal, whatever that is ... xxx

      Delete
  8. fabulous jumpsuit look!
    thank you for taking me with you on the walk in that beautiful park. nature is so green and lush this year......
    after the rain my garden is starting to bloom too :-D
    hugsies! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beate, and it was my pleasure! We're always earlier than elsewhere here in our little micro-climate garden ... xxx

      Delete
  9. I loved you in the jumpsuit - fabulous! The dress in the second outfit had the most wonderful pattern and what amazing colours.

    I think it is so important to get out into nature and walk; its like having an injection of happiness, I think. I'm glad you were able to get out and shake off your blues.

    The trellis will house your clematis beautifully and I love the idea of plant chair so much I may have to steal it! We have an old wooden chair that we could use...you have some fab plants.

    The snail admiring itself in the mirror made me snort with laughter - cheeky little bugger!

    Take care and stay safe,
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vronni! I'm looking forward to seeing your plant chair. They make the most excellent plant tables. That snail was a cheeky little bugger indeed :-) xxx

      Delete
  10. I'm so sorry you're missing out on your usual trip(s), Ann - that is so disappointing! I'm glad you were able to take solace in nature and flowers to lift your spirits.

    You are magnificent in your fabulous jumpsuit! I love the great pattern, and the orange and yellow accessories are so fun with it. Your new-to-you indigo dress is a lovely pattern. I like the sneakers with it.

    Your flowers are just so swoon-worthy and beautiful. I embiggened your collage to see the wee eye-stalks peering out over the poppy! I think that might be a snail.

    Thank you so much for your lovely comment. Hugs to you, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila! Wearing clothing as armour, going for a walk in nature and enjoying the flowers in our garden certainly cheered me up! xxx

      Delete
  11. What a lovely walk you had.. it can of course never make up for the holiday you missed but such are the days.. we have to settle in the smaller happiness's of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hena! We are trying to incorporate some nature walks to break up the routine. And yes, we have to find happiness in the small things! xxx

      Delete
  12. I can understand your blues. This corona situation is hard on us all. My problem now is getting home for the summer break as our 'real' house is in the other country (BIH). Hence comes the dilemma- Should I go back home? If you go to my home, then I face the risk of not being able to come back to Croatia.

    Moving onto brighter subjects, I do like the idea of clothes as armour. I don't think I ever saw you wearing a jumpsuit before. You look gorgeous in that jumpsuit. Your garden looks so pretty. You have green fingers for sure. I also like that purple dress you wore for your walk. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your walk. I hope it helped with the blues. Let's hope things will get better in terms of travelling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivana! I may have worn a jumpsuit, including this one, once or twice on the blog. Oh, that must be a hard decision to make! But maybe staying on Island Hvar during Summer does have its perks! xxx

      Delete
  13. Awh Ann I’ve commented to Philip and friends how you should have been here now. We should have been in our favourite hotel in Grange over Sands for two nights this week and then at the caravan. Not to worry, as long as we are all safe.
    I’m going to have to investigate that fisheye lens thing, I’ve not heard of it.
    It’s nice to see your colourful patterned outfits. I’ve just commented to Vix, I’m sick of seeing people in leggings and tee shirts.
    I’m glad you feel lifted again now after your walk. Although I suspect you are like me and many others, one day up next day not so up. I’m can’t seem to keep a balance.
    Take care you two. Lots of love xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The most important thing is beng safe, but sometimes these things get the better of us, and we have to shed a little tear at what we are missing. Especially when other people are flouting the rules! xxx

      Delete
  14. I sorry about your holiday blues but your walk looks very peaceful and beautiful ( except for the viewing platform rubbish you mention).
    The garden looks amazing through a fisheye lens.
    I love the fruit and veg necklace. Is it Murano glass? I've often looked at them but they go for a hefty price. It's a beauty.
    Hoping you're having a happy and relaxing week. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sally! I don't think it's Murano glass, as it's not marked. I'm not sure if/where it's supposed to be marked. It is rather lovely, though. I think it was less than € 2 with the matching bracelet. xxx

      Delete
  15. Hello Ann. Sorry to hear you're feeling blue about missing out on your holiday. I think we'll all be a little more grateful and excited once we're able to go on vacations again.

    I'm with you on the disturbed sleep. Mine is all over the place - anxiety mixed with menopause is a horrible combination!

    Two gorgeous outfits this week! Your jumpsuit is lovely on you, especially with the red accessories. How unusual and cute is that fruit/veg necklace! The indigo dress is also very lovely and the basket is the perfect accompaniment.

    It's lovely to see you out and about frolicking amongst the woodland. Walking under the canopy of all those majestic trees with the dappling sunlight flickering around you must be like walking through paradise!

    Hope you have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suzy! In general, I have been sleeping rather well. That night was an exception as it was emotionally charged. I used to be the same when I was still going through the menopause. It's getting better now that I've put that behind me. xxx

      Delete
  16. So sorry to read about your cancelled trip, it's so annoying to have your plans destroyed, I totally understand you. I've been feeling really frustrated (and angry) which is not my normal self.
    Love your jumpsuit and love how fabulously you've accessorized with colorful accessories!, love your necklace!.
    And lovely photos of your walk, so much greenery and lush!. Love the quiet atmosphere. And love your indigo and lilac dress, these are fabulous colors and a fabulous print too!. Love that your brooches and accessories match your shoes too!.
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica! There's nothing like a quiet nature walk to lift the mood. I too have been frustrated and angry, but the latter is usually to do with other people not taking the necessary precautions seriously! xxx

      Delete
  17. Getting the blues now and then happens to all of us. Just think of how much joy you'll get out of next year's trip to the U.K.

    Ann, I just ADORE your fruit necklace. It is so adorable. Now I'm hoping to find a similar one in an opshop one day. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I'm sure we all get the blues now and then. Can't wait until next year, but most of all, I can't wait for this all to be over and to be free again. xxx

      Delete