Wednesday 3 June 2020

I won't forget a single day, believe me

Shamelessly quoting the lyrics of the 1968 Kinks song, these are certainly days I'll remember all my life. But in all honesty, I have to admit that without my journal - both my private behind-the-scenes one, and the more visual one provided by my blog -  I doubt that, let's say, in one year's time, I will remember exactly how I spent them.

Even now, they are becoming a bit of a blur already, and I often have to consult what I've jotted down in my journal to recall what I've been doing on a particular day. These writings differ quite a bit from my blog. More often than not, they are just a couple of words describing my activities but, for the sake of history, I also try to express my feelings, thoughts and worries. In my experience, this can be a bit like walking on a tightrope, though: one look at the abyss beckoning below, and I'm done for.



So, days! They do come in all shapes and sizes. The best ones are those on which I'm feeling energetic, with a flurry of activity packed within its hours. And while I don't claim they make me forget the existence of the C word, it is certainly pushed to the very edges of my mind on such days. 

Take Tuesday before last, for example. But before I am taking you along on my day's journey, let's have a look at what I was wearing.


Part of a haul at one of our charity shop Retro Days, this psychedelic print dress in red, pink, orange, blue and green, has a peasant neckline and puff sleeves. I covered its elasticated waist with a blue belt from my stash. While orange was my chosen colour for my necklace and carved plastic bangle, I opted for my green birds-in-flight brooch, the only retail item in my outfit.

The blue of the belt re-appeared in my shoes, which were a charity shop find last year.

After breakfast, and while Jos was doing the weekly shop at the drinks superstore, I walked into the village for a spot of shopping. The shops, having only just opened, weren't very busy yet except for the one having a clearance sale, its window announcing 75% reduction.


I gave its long queue a wide berth, took a deep breath, put on my mask and entered the shop next door. I was in need of some new kitchen towels, the majority of our current ones having become decidedly holey. I found some nice thick new ones and indulged in a set of cheerful yellow bath towels as well.

Back at home, I exchanged the last of the Winter boots, which live in wicker chest in our hallway, with some easy Summer shoes and sandals. While I was putting the boots away, I came across a shoe box containing a pair of unworn ankle boots (top right). Last Spring, I had a shoe emergency at the office, forcing me to buy a replacement pair during lunch break. These pinkish tan boots with their wicker-like panels turned out to be such a good buy that I later bought an identical second pair in the sales. The old ones (bottom left) have accompanied me on many a walk, but are now starting to look a bit worse for wear, and have been relegated to garden use.


After that, I decided to crack on with the 1930 display cabinet. I'd already cleaned the compartment containing our small collection of Bakelite, as well as its contents, but had yet to re-arrange the jumble of items. Apart from some smaller pieces (shaving kit, soap dish, chocolate mould and a flashlight, among other things) there are two large round boxes. The one on the bottom left is fairly common, and used to contain chocolates from a long-gone brand called Martougin, while the green one on the top right is quite rare. It was produced by Belgian company Ebena between 1921 and 1931. Look how exquisitely decorated it is!


The only thing left to do was dusting the top of the cabinet and its inhabitants, snooty Idina and her menagerie of dogs! Oh, and there's a Bakelite lamp and radio as well.



I'm pretty sure that Idina needs no further introduction, but I'm equally certain you'd love to meet the dogs, so here they are. They were all either flea market or charity shop finds. Although they do look like a set, the two on the top left were found years apart. The treen Scottie on the bottom left is a pipe holder. 


While I was rummaging through the pile of records which lives next to the cabinet, I came across this box set of World War II hits. It was picked up in a treasure trove of a charity shop called Animals in Need in Newcastle Emlyn, Wales and, surprisingly, it contains cassettes rather than records. I thought No. 6 was quite apt for these days!



The rest of the day was spent pottering in the garden and admiring its blooms. I find deadheading - and to a lesser degree, watering - very calming activities.

The Hydrangeas are getting more colour every day and I particularly love them at this stage, with the blue tinged petals emerging among the lime green.

The pink hanging Pelargonium (part of a pair) is a survivor from last year, while the bright blue Delphiniums (bottom left) are a new addition. 



More flowers, blooming in our baskets, pots and borders! Their colour and diversity is giving me so much pleasure. I actually forgot I'm a plant-o-holic!



Wednesday was another office day, and emboldened by Tuesday's shopping experience, I actually went outside during lunch break and, in a quiet shop well away from the hustle and bustle, bought a cheerfully checked vinyl tablecloth for our little table.


In complete contrast to Tuesday, Thursday was one of the quiet days, when I couldn't seem to settle to anything.

I was wearing a green striped vintage dress, the stripes meeting in a chevron pattern in its skirt. Red was the main colour for my accessories, which included a brooch with a trio of Scottie dogs, a beaded necklace a belt. A bangle and two bracelets in cream, red, and green completed my outfit.


We had lunch - Jos's delicious homemade tomato soup with homemade bread - sitting at our little table, enjoying the company of the creepy crawlies which seem to find our garden irresistible.

Afterwards, I got out my sewing basket and shortened the lining of a dress which kept playing peek-a-boo. An hour's soothing and relaxing occupation, its repetitiveness allowing my thoughts to drift, its soundtrack of the buzzing of the bees and the droning of a single small aircraft taking me right back to my childhood.



Friday was another warm, sunny day on which indolence was the name of the game.

My outfit that day consisted of easy-going clothes, in the form of a button-through denim skirt (from Think Twice) and a new-with-tags lobster top from the charity shop. I wore a red and white beaded necklace and a black and white woven belt. And of course only one brooch was right for this outfit, so I granted the lobster the company of my prawn brooch!



Following  our weekly outing to the garden centre, lunch was once again had in the garden, after which we sat talking and reading while savouring a refreshing, non-alcoholic beer. We are quite spoilt for choice here in Belgium, and have at least 5 types of non-alcoholic beer in our fridge at any given time.



Happy? Well, yes, it is possible to be happy, even during these trying times. Happiness, after all, lies in the small things. Happiness is having time, for instance, a luxury we can finally afford. 

Time to read at odd times and being able not only to have a novel on the go, but a non-fiction gem from my fashion library as well.

Happiness is laughing at silly things, like some of the kitschy solar lights in the garden centre, our favourite being three hungry looking snails sitting on a bare branch. 


There's happiness to be found in nature's twist and turns, sometimes quite literally. There's an uncanny resemblance to that solar light in that gnarled piece of wood, don't you think? Now all I need are some willing snails!

And my heart did make a happy little leap when,  rummaging through some drawers, I found a long lost treasure: this delightful bookmark, a holiday souvenir from many years ago.

So, what are the little things that are making you happy these days?




30 comments:

  1. Your lunch in the garden looks very inviting.
    Your attitude of happiness being in the small things matches my philosophy exactly, I loved reading of all those little things that gave you pleasure this week. Here's to another week of contentment. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sally. It's better to enjoy the small things than to focus on an uncertain future. Although I have to admit I am not always able to practice what I'm preaching! xxx

      Delete
  2. I'm back to work full time, which is a good thing. However, I have less time for the fun things, like going to the Charity shop. I must go! I enjoy a cup of coffee, planting and potting, having a chat with my neighbour, going to sleep each day, stepping outsid of the house at any time and thinking: I am in paradise. I'm the queen of the little things. :-) All the best! Regula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too am a queen of little things :-) Glad I'm not back to work full time yet, though. Going to the office in the city is always a bit of a challenge! xxx

      Delete
  3. So great you have lunch in the garden.So many nice flowers, no wonder if you are a plant -o-holic 🌺
    Findung this long lost bookmark Souvenir is a luck!
    a very huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina! It's a pity the weather has left us in the lurch now. And you know what? I found the second bookmark we bought back then a couple of days later! xxx

      Delete
  4. Hi Anne, I have been reading your vlog for a long time and I love your home and your style. I am an expat living in Tokyo (shinjuku) now. I am kind of glad the Japanese government have been a lot more Stricter and people are a lot more cautious and wise. Masks are the social normality as is common curtesy. We are aware of social distancing and we abide by it. We gloves to protect our hands from the sun.
    When you tell me tales of Belgium and mum tells me tales of the uk , I am so scared. I looked on my Calendar yesterday and I got into tears my mum and dad were due to visit soon, that won’t be happening anytime soon.
    Why can’t people just do as they as they are told. I wish you well and I will keep reading your blog. Love from japan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment, Allie. How exciting to have a follower who's living in Japan. I was watching a Belgian travelling programme where the presenter travelled all through Japan. What an amazing country it is! Indeed, there seemed to be lots of people wearing masks, even before the pandemic. I really can't understand why people cannot just do what they're told either, and it often scares me too. So sad that your mum and dad won't be visiting, I bet you both looked forward to seeing each other. xxx

      Delete
  5. A post full of joy, happiness and colour.
    You're so right about finding happiness in small things and lunch in the garden with that lovely new tablecloth and is one of them. I'm liking the look of Jos's homemade soup!
    Don't you just love appreciating your collections, your surroundings and your wardrobe and realising that, even though second-hand shopping used to give us both a real buzz, we already posess all we need to make us happy?
    Now that the rain's finally stopped I had a potter around the garden anxious to see what new growth had occured after yesterday's drenching. I think your delphinium and hydrangea are more advanced than ours - I've got plant envy!
    Loads of love to you, Jos & Phoebe from us! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right, Vix. I'm not saying I'll never go back to second hand shopping, but I don't really feel the need right now, nor do I think it will ever be the same. I did pay a brief visit to Think Twice, mainly to support them, as it would be sad if they didn't survive. xxx

      Delete
  6. I'm finding happiness in this colorful post!, and listening to The Kinks (even if this song makes me feel a Little bit nostalgic). I love your collages (so many fab flowers and plants!) and your psychedelic print dress with the birds brooch and bold color accessories!.
    And it's so lovely that you had your lunch outside, this is one of the small pleasures of life, having a homemade meal in the garden!. Luxurious even!
    I still haven't ventured into any shop, outside the market where we buy groceries and a visit to the cobbler. I think that it will feel like entering a new world!.
    Love your green dress and the fab accessories you picked, you totally rock!. Also love the seaside vibe on your last outfit, the lobsters print, the red details with denim and the prawn brooch!. Gorgeous!
    I'm also a huge fan of non-alcoholic beer, we have some belgian beer in the fridge now!. ;DD
    And I'm really interested in this book you're reading, I'll look for it asap!. Reading in my balcony is one of my favourite things!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica! That Kinks song does make me feel a bit nostalgic too. Listening to Waterloo Sunset is even worse for me! It is indeed very strange to go out shopping somewhere apart from the garden centre. All the shops have a list of restrictions, and show the max. number of people allowed inside. And you have to think about your every move ... Not much fun! I'm pleased to hear you're a fan of non-alcoholic beer too. I know many people sneer when they hear we're not drinking alcohol ... xxx

      Delete
  7. ....lissy coming to me for cuddles, some new flowers in the garden, growing veggies......
    and - today - the knowing that i will never have to buy new towels: i still live on my kitchen towels that were presented to me when i was 14. they are in use since 30 years now and still going strong! the same für the terry cloth towels..... all once made in GDR. speaking of sustainable wares.
    was wondering about weekly trips to the drinks store - but non-alcoholic beer.... gah. and i was thinking you & jos are partying every weekend ;-D
    enjoy the little things! hugsies!! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to disappoint you with our non-alcoholic beer :-) Our partying days are long over, and we no longer drink alcohol, as it does not agree with us. Or perhaps it's the other way around :-) Those towels must be fabulous quality! Apart from those holey kitchen towels, I still have some of the bath towels I bought about 30 years ago! xxx

      Delete
  8. You're so right, Ann - happiness is the little things in life; the simple pleasures. For me it's fresh sheets, fresh soap; a good book; something to crochet when the mood takes me, being out in nature; flowers blooming; bird songs and calls; a slice of delicious cake and tea out of a nice cup and saucer...I could go on!

    Loving all the outfits and the green, cream and red bracelet combo was fabulous. I also loved the orange carved bangle.

    The bakelite boxes were rather lovely and hasn't Idina got a lot of dogs?

    I forgot to get delphiniums this year and I fear it's too late now. Your plants are blooming beautifully. The new table cloth looks perfect. I also needed new tea towels but had to buy them online as the shops were still closed.

    I think this strange time we're living in feels rather like being on permanent holiday.

    Take care and stay safe
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My list of little things is endless too, and I think it's especially important to appreciate them in these strange times. Like your OH, I am rehearsing for retirement ;-) xxx

      Delete
  9. Oh, the bookmark is from Past Times! I loved their stuff!

    I loved this reminder of "happiness in the small things" - it's a reminder to be grateful and to focus on the moments when we experience joy. I'm glad you are finding some of that, my dear.

    I love your second outfit so much! That lobster top is everything. I feel that the puffed sleeves in the first dress are not the most flattering - I wonder if the elastic would come out to make a flutter sleeve? I enlarged the picture of you with your hand on Phoebe's head to see her face - she seems to be hardly suffering, ha ha!

    Did you get the snails on the log? I can just see those in your garden at night! You have created such a wonderful sanctuary out there, I'm not surprised that it's a refuge from the world. Well done, Ann!

    Love seeing your Bakelite collection - wow, those boxes are amazing. I enjoyed all the Scotty dogs!

    Hope your week is going good! Only a few days more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila! We always went to have a browse at Past Times when we were in the UK. You might be right about the sleeves, I'm thinking of doing just that! We didn't buy the snails, though, as they did look cheaply made, and we couldn't get the lights to work either! xxx

      Delete
  10. Yeah! There are so many things that can make someone happy isn't there! Like homemade bread and tomato soup!! MMm. I like that snail light, I love kitsch things in my garden! Haha, Gerben doesn't but I have hidden a few ones , I can see them. I think Gerben does too. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea you loved kitsch things in the garden! We didn't buy the snail lights, though. They were probably faulty as we couldn't get them to work ... xxx

      Delete
  11. Hello Ann. Certainly there is beauty in simplicity. For me it's been slowing down and having meaningful conversations with my hubby and kids, tending to our garden (which I'd barely paid attention to before), cooking, admiring/using my collections more and just being present in the "now" rather than always rushing off to the next thing.

    Your garden is looking lovely with all the new blooms. The hydrangeas look magnificent! I especially love your new tablecloth. I collect them too! Jos' tomato soup with homemade bread is just the perfect thing for an outdoor lunch. Think I might make some myself today.

    Beautiful outfits again this week. The green dress is lovely, I am partial to a chevron print.

    How cute are those dogs! A very british thing to collect. Have a happy weekend.








    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suzy! Being present in the now - instead of focusing on an uncertain future - is the right thing to do, I think. I thought I'd have withdrawal symptoms from rushing around, but that didn't happen. I love the slower pace of live, but I do feel the need to "do" things rather than just lounge around ... xxx

      Delete
  12. So much to enjoy in this post, Ann!

    I love your prawn/lobster outfit and your vintage chocolate moulds! I used chocolate moulds recently to make peanut butter chocolates.

    And Jos' tomato soup looks delicious- I think I'll make some for dinner! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jess! We have never actually used any of our moulds, but maybe we should? xxx

      Delete
  13. You're right. Happiness is in little things. Having time to spend with people we love and doing things we enjoy- what is better than that?

    That is a beautiful dress you have on (the first one). The psychedelic print is delightful and I love the red necklace and the blue dress you're wearing with it. The second green dress is gorgeous as well. I like how you accessorized with a red belt. You always accessorize well. I also love your third look, with the blouse and skirt. The striped belt is very pretty as well.

    It is lovely to see your garden. Having lunch in a garden is always lovely. I like to eat outside. Beautiful photos.

    I haven't been feeling well in the past few days, I can't wait for the summer break. Nobody would believe me if I told them how many hours I've been working. The school won't end until the end of this month, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivana! I know you've been working the longest hours and the past few months have been exhausting for you. Please do take care of yourself and try to relax in your time off. And keep focusing on that summer break! xxx

      Delete
  14. Happiness is knowing I have like minded friends and that through our blogs we have a release and for us two at least Ann our personal journals to record our feelings and emotions more freely.
    I want to say how impressed and proud I am of both you and Vix for keeping up your fabulous appearances. You are both amazing. I find myself many days making no effort at all.
    Thank you for being open in your feelings and for your beautiful blog posts. Lots of love my friend from us two to you two xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my lovely friend. Although I keep writing my journal, I often find it hard to express how I'm actually feeling. My mind is in such a turmoil. And this week I'm feeling particularly prone to wobbles, as Saturday is the day we'd be coming over to the UK. I keep choking up every time I think of it. xxx

      Delete
  15. Your posts are such thoughtful, poignant and relatable expressions of both the extremely unique and challenging times we're presenting experiencing, and life as a collective whole, dear Ann. Thank you, truly, for all you share with us.

    Autumn Zenith 🧡 Witchcrafted Life

    PS: I'm seriously smitten with your gorgeous orange molded plastic floral pattern bracelet. That makes every inch of my fall time adoring heart sing with joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your lovely comment, Autumn. It's a true pleasure to share my posts with you! xxx

      Delete