Thursday 17 October 2019

Still the days seem the same

For fear of sounding like a broken record, the rainy weather continued to plague us, marring not only the first weekend of October, but the ensuing week as well.

Taking Friday afternoon off meant that the weekend started early, which made me feel a whole lot better. As did wearing one of my brightest, long-sleeved frocks.



With a flower pattern in about every colour under the sun, the odd pagoda nestling among them, this cobalt blue dress isn't for the faint-hearted.

From its rich colour palette, I picked bright pink for a further pop of colour in the form of my cardi and opaques. My first wearing of opaques this season!

Not wanting my outfit to be too matchy-matchy, I added a green vinyl belt, a necklace of multi-coloured wooden discs bought from Accessorize eons ago, and the peacock brooch I found in a charity shop in Llangollen last Summer.


It was chilly enough to wear one of my all-time favourite coats too: I'm always glad to see this vintage teal wonder again after a six-month absence.

We were off to the optician’s for a second pair of glasses for Jos.  His last purchase back in July came with the offer of one free lens if he bought a second pair within three months. As he obviously wanted to make use of this offer, he'd asked me to help him choose new frames. As it was, we both fell for the first frames he tried on, so that we had enough time to spare for a visit to the local charity shop.



Trawling the clothing aisles and doing my best not to look at the coats, which are a particular weakness of mine, I couldn’t help but notice this burgundy jacket. Its slightly longer length, the multi-coloured specks running through the fabric and the unusual knitted sleeves and yoke all conspired against me. My only hope was that it wouldn’t fit me, but no: it was just perfect in every way. At € 6, there was no way it wasn’t coming home with me! Oh, and it's a wool and polyacryl blend.



On Saturday, we bit the bullet and booked an airbnb cottage for our next little holiday in November.

Then we were off for another charity shop jaunt, with me wearing the jacket, obviously. In fact, I wore it all week, so that its cost per wear has now dropped below € 1.

But first we stopped at the fashionably rusty gates of the museum garden further along in our street for some outfit photos. We had to act fast, as not only had it ceased raining for a couple of minutes, there were some weak and sickly rays of sunshine about.



My ankle boots - one of the oldest pairs I've got, and repaired several times already - as well as my handbag matched the jacket almost exactly.


The dress I'm wearing underneath, in what feels like a wool/polyester blend, is short-sleeved and one of the two items I found at Think Twice in Bruges on our day-trip the week before.

I accessorized it with a tan belt with a round tortoiseshell buckle and amber coloured beads. The brooch, with its posy of violets, came from a stall in Cardigan Market, bought on our last Pembrokeshire holiday in 2017.


If lately the weather gods have been behaving badly, those ruling the charity shops have been more than making up for it.

The first shop we visited has been a bit rubbish lately, but I still came away with a moss green suede belt and a funky scarf, which I'll be wearing to combat the first Autumn chills.



The second shop yielded a good-as-new Kitsch Kitchen bag (bottom left), whilst the third shop provided me with a completely outfit, consisting of a dress by the defunct Belgian label Wow To Go, a yellow Mango cardi and a green wood and gold metal chain belt.

I had been sniffling and sneezing on and off throughout the day, so it was almost inevitable that on  Sunday I woke up to blocked sinuses, watery eyes and a head full of cotton wool, making it clear that I'd caught some kind of bug.



This did not deter me from carrying out my plans for that day, which were to make a start with my seasonal wardrobe change-over. 

Ideally, I'd love to keep all my clothes out all year round, but lack of space dictates that most of my out-of-season frocks and skirts are stored inside this huge antique linen chest which used to belong to Jos's grandparents. 

I am, however, only swapping over those things which need hanging space, which is at a premium. Apart from chunky jumpers and thick woollen skirts, which have their permanent home inside the chest, only coming out during severe cold snaps, and a suitcase full of flimsy heatwave clothes, everything else stays put throughout the year.


I was starting to feel quite miserable by late afternoon, but as the sun came out for literally 5 minutes, I threw on my orange velvet jacket, put on a pair of ankle boots, and went into the garden for some outfit photos. 

The midi dress is from a Belgian high street brand, but found at a a charity shop last Autumn. I needed something stylish yet comfortable to help me with the task at hand.

I paid a bit more than I was initially prepared to for the jacket when it crossed my path in a charity shop back in April, but in the end I was glad I did, as isn't that colour absolutely gorgeous?

 As a further nod to the season, I added a duo of Autumn leaves to its rich pumpkin shade. The final touch was provided by a strand of orange plastic beads.



My cold, which turned out to be a full-blown one, continued to bug me all week and, even though I did my best to not to let it bring me down, the broken nights followed by days of rainy commutes, finally took their toll.  By Thursday - typically the only day that the sun was out - I was feeling so exhausted that - shock! horror! - I left work early, which is practically unheard of for me.

My wardrobe was the best medicine to help me through the week, so here are some of the outfits I wore. I'm so glad I've been keeping a record to distinguish one day from another.

First up was this rust coloured plaid skirt. Originally from H&M, it was a charity shop find several years ago. The pale green floral print blouse was the second item I bought from Think Twice in Bruges. See how my belt matches its colour almost exactly!  Further additions to my outfit were a red beaded necklace, my ochre yellow cardi to which I pinned a green-backed cameo brooch, burnt orange tights and burgundy ankle boots.


I'd sort of gone off this dress, bought from a long-gone vintage shop, but decided to give it another go. Instead of wearing it with pink shades, as I used to do in the past, I now opted for green and, lo and behold, I'm in love with it again!


Here you can see a close-up of the dress's riotous pattern, which has vertical stripes with a squiggly print, tiny dots and patches of roses. And look, it's got a little bow at the neckline as well!

Well, that's it for now. 

Here's to hoping that these rainy days soon come to an end, as I'm in desperate need of some of that glorious, leaf-kicking Autumn weather!

Once again, I am linking to lovely Nancy's Fancy Friday!

39 comments:

  1. So sorry to learn that you were taken down with a cold this week. It certainly is the time of the year to get sick. Hope you are feeling better now.

    I'm glad to see that you scored big on the vintage front again. That burgundy jacket is a sweet find! Especially when paired with teal.

    I should really be switching over my closet. Ugh. I'm dreading it. I think I will need to tackle it in steps otherwise it is too overwhelming. I feel a real need to seriously let go of quite a few things (like half!) but at the same time I don't want to regret my decisions later. When it comes to saying goodbye to vintage pieces I feel like I'm saying goodbye to old friends.

    Suzanne
    http://www.suzannecarillo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feeling all better now, thank you Suzanne! I'm doing my switching in steps as well. I did my clothes in one day (it usually takes longer, but I adopted another method), then my shoes one week later, and today I did my coats! xxx

      Delete
  2. Oh yes leaf kicking autumn weather please for me too :)
    Brave you made so many outfitpictures while you have a cold. I love all these styles, you look amazing. I am in love with the las collage, this print is very nice.
    Hope you get well soon Ann.
    huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Tina! I thought, if I can go to work, I can take outfit photos ;-) xxx

      Delete
  3. woww, your cobalt blue dress is Stunning and it looks even better with those pink accents and the fab necklace (love it everytime I see!)
    So glad that you found this burgundy jacket, it's such a beautiful color and matches so nicely your boots and bag!, this kind of things put a smile on my face!.
    Obviously loving your orange velvet jacket and totally agree that its color is Gorgeous!, love that you added some orange beads too, and these autumanal brooches!. Perfect accessorizing!
    Also love your ochre&plaid ensemble with the floral shirt, it's brilliant and you look gorgeous despite suffering from a cold. Also looking fab in this last dress with mint-green cardi and accessories, you always create the most fabulous color combos and make them rock!
    I have to switch my closet too and bring out all the turtlenecks and long sleeved t-shirts. But I'll keep many summer clothes in my closet for a while (until next switch)
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Monica! The burgundy jacket must be one of my best finds ever! I've finally finished the last of my closet swith today, when I did the coats. xxx

      Delete
  4. Sorry you have had a cold Anne! Hope you are feeling better now, but then how could you not with all those gorgeous vibrant colours to cheer you up! I love the cobalt blue dress, and the purple jacket - what a steal! Love that it is costing you less than 1euro per wear now! I do love autumnal colours and am seriusly in love with your orange jacket and the 2 little autumnal collages. You've cheered me up! XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to have cheered you up, Linda, and I'm feeling all better now too! xxx

      Delete
  5. There are so many lovely colours, patterns and shades in your outfits. What impresses me the most is how you combine different shades. That printed blue dress looks lovely paired with pink touches and the blue coat is the perfect finish. The printed dress you wore with a purple coat and boots is fabulous too. From afar it looks greenish, but a closer view seems to reveal a patter that has a lot of blue in it. Also love the maxi dress you paired with an orange blazer and necklace. Perfect pop of colour with that necklace! The skirt paired with a mustard sweater looks lovely as well. I also like the last combo, that shade of green matched that printed dark pink dress so well. I love that pink floral print against a darker background, it makes it pop out more. These outfits are all so cheerful and stylish. It is a great idea to brighten one's mood with colours. I imagine with the cold and all, these colours really came in handy. I hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Ivana. I'm feeling much better, and I hope you're feeling better as well. xxx

      Delete
    2. I'm feeling a bit better too.

      Delete
  6. fabulous colorful fall wardrobe!!!
    that berry-colored jacket was waiting for you! perfect with your dress and boots and the gorgeous handbag.
    i just pulled my warmer things out of storage, bought some thermal leggings and sew wool skirts.... stay tuned :-D
    hugs! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beate! I've finished my wardrobe swap-over today, bringing out all my Winter coats except for the warmest ones. I haven't brought out the thermals, or my (fake) furs yet. xxx

      Delete
  7. Hello, Phoebe!!! So sorry to hear that you've been under the weather, all that rain can't be helping.
    Loving the colours of that first outfit, absolutely stunning. The raspberry jacket was a fabulous find and fits you so well. The orange jacket is autumn personified, what a wonderful rediscovery!!
    Have a fantastic leaf kicking weekend, mine will be a leaf sweeping one I expect! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So funny that you noticed Phoebe! Quite a little helper she is too. Well, she was certainly not helping there, as she's lying on top of the linen chest! xxx

      Delete
  8. Weekends starting early is always a good thing! Sorry to hear you came down with a cold, I hope you're feeling better now. It's been so cold and damp here, it certainly is the weather for curling up indoors and staying cosy.

    I also have a coat weakness, as does my husband. We've finally reached the point where we have run out of storage for them and are having a cull of the least-worn. That's the thing with coats, they're bulky to store!

    So many gorgeous colour combinations in these outfits, the orange velvet jacket is particularly fabulous xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phew, I'm glad I'm not the only one with a coat weakness! xxx

      Delete
  9. It's all about the coat game in this post, Ann! From the teal, to that new magenta knit one, to that amazing orange velvet, I am in colour ecstasies! It's been raining here for several days straight. I've given up on my hair, lol.

    Aw, there's Phoebe, looking annoyed at the disruption of your closet swapover. I wish I could keep most of my clothes out all the times, but it's just too much now. Gone are the days when most of it stayed out year round.

    I hope you and Jos (and Phoebe) have a lovely weekend, my dear. Enjoy the liquid sunshine if the real thing doesn't appear. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So funny that both you and Vix have spotted Phoebe ;-) Not only is she looking annoyed, she is preventing me from getting on with the job at hand, lying on top of the linen chest ;-) xxx

      Delete
  10. So many fabulous outfits (as always;)), Ann! I absolutely love your burgundy wool jacket! I also love your outfit with that gorgeous orange velvet jacket. The autumnal brooches look great too. Hope you're feeling better now, Ann. Have a wonderful weekend! XXX

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wearing bright clothes makes a difference in grey days. Hopefully, the rain will stop soon. The jacket is beautiful. Have a nice weekend. Regula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Regula, and indeed to me wearing bright clothes makes all the difference! xxx

      Delete
  12. What a fabulous display of your vintage outfits Ann. I wish everyone dressed as brightly as us vintage gals I’m sure it would put a smile on everyone’s face. Last weekend a lady stopped her car in the middle of the road and complimented me on my styling. My friends started laughing and Philip was grinning like a Cheshire Cat and said It happens all the time haha.
    Your new jacket is lovely and you’ve already had your monies worth out of it, fantastic.
    Enjoy your weekend both of you xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it wonderful when somebody stops their car to compliment you? It has happened to me too! xxx

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. I am, Ivana, and I hope you're feeling better too! xxx

      Delete
  14. You sure look lovely for a lady with a nasty bug. I'm hopeful you've been able to get some rest since posting this and you are back up and at 'em as we speak. After all, there are great charity shop finds just waiting for you! May the gods and goddesses of charity shops continue to bless you! :)

    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sherry! I didn't feel it, though, but I refused to let that bug get me down! xxx

      Delete
  15. I love all of the jackets and coats you've worn this week. The orange one especially, it's the most gorgeous colour, as is the outfit you put together in the first photo. It jumps off the page with vitality.
    Sorry to hear about your cold and I hope you're feeling better. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope your cold has gone now; they are rotten. And I look forward to seeing where your travels take you next. It's always fun doing some virtual sightseeing through you and Jos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was quite annoyed to get a cold this early on in the season. Must have been due to all the rain we've been having. I hope the weather's a bit better for our trip, as we'll only be about an hour up the road! xxx

      Delete
  17. Ack, I am so sorry to hear of your cold. How utterly miserable! I hope you are better soon! Your new purple coat is beautiful- If I found such wonderful second hand coats, I would buy loads too! You look splendid in that glorious blue one too!
    Ooh, nice to have a cottage booked! I am excited to be in your country in less than 48 hours!!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feeling much better now, Kezzie, and I do hope you enjoyed your stay in Bruges! xxx

      Delete
  18. Sorry to hear you've been struck down with a nasty cold. Seems to affect many when the weather gets cooler. Hope you're feeling better. Still, it hasn't affected how beautiful you are, especially in your glorious outfits. Every one of them is perfect for the season ahead. The pattern on that cobalt blue dress is so striking. Adore the speckled burgundy jacket. What a bargain, wish it was mine. Your orange velvet jacket is sublime - I collect velvet suits and would love to come across that colour. Love your bags, absolutely gorgeous. Also like the plaid skirt and the Wow To Go dress. How pretty your display of beautiful dresses in your trousseau. The beautiful patterns/colours of all that finery draw our eyes in like a magnet. I, too, struggle with wardrobe space and have had to shuffle clothes away for storage. Even though I adore coats, it always seems that they're the first I pass on because I don't get a lot of wear out of them with all the hot flushes menopause is presenting me with. Also they just take up so much space. Anyway, thankyou for brightening up IG with all your beautiful outfits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you Suzy! I have to admit that I love just opening my wardrobe's doors and looking at the row of dresses, especially at the start of a season. There's no way I could do without a coat here in Belgium. In fact, I think the menopause is the best excuse to have a huge variety ;-) P.S. I hope I'm not jinxing it, but I seem to be having less hot flushes lately ...

      Delete
  19. Ann, I love reading your blog.
    Your outfits are lovely and colourful and the scenery where you live is just beautiful.
    You write so eloquently too. I’ll be sure to visit your blog again. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you Jess. I'd love it if you'd visit again! xxx

      Delete