Thursday 31 October 2019

Saturday Night and Sunday Morning

Well, it seems I did leave you with a bit of a cliffhanger at the end of last post! The question is, what did I wear for Saturday night’s birthday party? You know, the one we didn’t feel like going to?

Those of you following me on Instagram already know that my outfit of choice was based around this seriously floral midi dress. I’m sure you’ll be shocked, though, when I tell you that it’s not vintage nor even second hand. No, it was a rare retail buy snapped up in last Winter’s sale.



If the print is familiar and makes you think of wallpaper, it’s because it’s from H&M’s collaboration with Morris & Co. in the Autumn of 2018. I’ve always been drawn to the Arts & Crafts movement, and to William Morris in particular so, even if I didn’t queue to buy anything from the collection when it first appeared in the shops, I was more than happy to hand over my money when I spotted the dress on the sales rails.



We snapped a few quick outfit photos before leaving, but I completely forgot to add the maroon cardigan I wore for most of the evening. I was also wearing chartreuse opaques, which obviously you can’t see in the photos. Both the necklace and the wide, chocolate brown leather belt were charity shop finds.

It felt very odd to be told by several people on Instagram that they have the same dress or another garment in a similar print, as I’m definitely not used to that kind of thing!


Both Suzy and Sheila remarked on the pink feather boa I was wearing in the closing photo of my last post, but I’m afraid I’m going to have to disappoint them. It's just a pink frilly scarf, which I only wore outside for warmth, as it was a bit of a chilly evening. I thought it looked rather lonely photographed on its own, so I included this lovely Diwali card I received from one of our Indian suppliers to keep it company.

For the record, back in 2006, when we were holidaying in Oxfordshire, we visited Kelmscott Manor, which was William Morris’s Summer retreat, signing a joint lease with the Pre-Raphaelite painter Dante Gabriel Rossetti in the summer of 1871.


And look, here’s a 13 years younger, painfully thin and extremely short haired me. This was definitely a holiday when I needed all my heatwave clothes!

On Sunday, we were up bright and early, as we had the second edition of this season’s indoor flea market to go to. On second thought, scrap the “bright” part, as Jos still wasn’t feeling very well. However, he couldn’t bear the thought of giving the flea market a miss, so off we went.

Obviously, I had to dress the part in order not to let my fans down. There are quite a few traders who are looking forward to seeing what I’m wearing.  What can I say: in a crowd of casually, colourlessly and often shabbily dressed browsers, both Jos and I do stand out a bit!




My maxi skirt and pussy-bow blouse both came from Think Twice, but were purchased years apart. 

The skirt, in a heavy polyester fabric, black with generous sprinklings of blue flowers, was a recent acquisition. It is fully lined as well, which makes it perfect for the current season. 

The blouse, with its red on white geometrical pattern, has been a wardrobe staple for several years. I love its slippery fabric, which allows the pussy bow to flop satisfactorily. In order to secure the bow, I used a scarf clip which always reminds me of Wedgwood's Jasperware china.

The wide belt is one of my current favourites and was a charity shop find. 




Although I hadn’t done my coat swap-over yet at that point, I'm always keeping some warmer jackets at the ready. This green tweed blazer was charity shopped last year. To its lapel, I pinned one of my vintage silhouette brooches. I do love the slightly faded glory of this one.

Comfortable tan boots made for walking completed my outfit.

There were far more stalls at the flea market venue than there were back in September and their overall quality was outstanding, with lots of treasures on offer. However, several traders were complaining that business had been rather slow on both days (the flea market runs both on Saturday and Sunday) which I thought was a bit odd as it was grey and wet outside: the perfect weather for an indoor flea market. 


So, what did we find? 

Let’s start with a group photo!

I was looking for a pair of wooden shoe stretchers, preferably vintage ones, so how miraculous that I found a pair in my size on the very first stall we looked at! They've already been put to use giving a gentle bit of stretch to my vintage Hush Puppies.


Skipping from our first buy to the last one: these vintage buttons were picked up from a stall in the final aisle. I can never resist rummaging through this lady’s extensive collection and was very pleased to find several sets of green buttons, which are generally hard to come by.



I’d already paid for my purchases when my attention was grabbed by this small glass-topped wooden box at the same stall. I’ve always got room for another trinket box, especially one as delightful as this, with its scene of a girl in a rowing boat feeding the ducks.



It almost goes without saying that there were a couple of brooches among my purchases.

The first one I picked up was the green ceramic dog. The stall holder is a very nice, French speaking lady, from whom I’ve bought quite a few things before. She was thrilled when I pointed out the  brooch on my jacket, as this was one of hers as well.

Another butterfly has joined my collection so that once again I'm having to make room in the creepy crawlies drawer.


I already own several micromosaic brooches, but this part of my collection is only growing very slowly, as I'm not willing to pay the usually exorbitant asking prices.  I was dithering over this yellow-rimmed one, when the seller, who is one of my fans, let me have it at a reduced price. I didn't even have to haggle for it, which I hardly ever do anyway.

Both of the brooches on the bottom right are modern Lea Stein rip-offs. There was a whole tray of them to choose from, and these are the ones that came home with me. 


I've kept my favourite find for last.

Passing a stall displaying a jumble of delectable items, my eyes immediately zoomed in to this delightful ceramic girl's head. I'm guessing she's from the late 1920s, early 1930s. She's got a bit of damage, but for me that just adds to her appeal. The seller told us she is French: she was brought back from Provence.


Here she is, feeling quite at home on the shelf of treasures in our bedroom.

By now it is clear that I have a weakness for these ceramic or plaster of Paris heads or wall plaques, most of which live on our spare room's chimney breast and mantelpiece.

There are even some plastic ones, like my beloved Twiggy (top left), which I was able to buy at a great price when one of my favourite vintage shops closed down back in 2016, and the rather demented looking Sybil (bottom left), a hairdresser's training head snapped up in a charity shop for a silly € 0,50. She's great at modelling hats (as is Twiggy) and owes her name to the brand name (Sibel) displayed on her neck, which I've disguised by giving her a jaunty little scarf.


But my most treasured mannequin's head, who spent her former life showing off the latest fashion in hats in a 1930s shop, is the haughty Idina.

She was one of the last ladies left from a lot in a reclamation shop and I'm forever regretting not snapping up a male companion for her.


I was reading The Bolter at the time, the biography of Lady Idina Sackville (1893-1955) by her great-granddaughter Frances Osborne, and I thought my precious mannequin was a dead ringer for her.

Idina was a cousin of Vita Sackville-West, and her behaviour and lifestyle (she married and divorced five times) scandalized middle class society at the time.

Back in August 2016, I asked my blog readers to suggest a name for my mannequin, as I wasn't totally convinced Idina was the right choice. But in spite of all your efforts, the name Idina stuck, so that's show she's been known ever since. Always prefixed with haughty, though!


38 comments:

  1. Your house is full of so many fascinating collections! You really need to start charging your visitors. It's like visiting a museum.

    I'm a big fan of vase heads although I've never bought any.

    I used to collect tea pots. I stopped though as I no longer drink tea.

    I'd be very tempted to buy a mannequin head if I saw a gal like your haughty Idina. I have a half mannequin with a head that I sometimes use for my hat photos. I have her stuffed in a trunk. LOL Perfect for Halloween!

    I'm sure all of the vendors saw you guys coming a mile away. It's quite lovely when you can brighten someone's day with your outfit.

    Suzanne
    http://www.suzannecarillo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suzanne! That's exactly what we keep telling people, that they're lucky we are not charging them (yet)! xxx

      Delete
  2. It's so refreshing to see someone with such individual vintage style. I'm not sure what it's like in your home town, but here we've just come out of a cold bleak winter and most people I come across are wearing dark (mostly greys and black) clothes that make me yawn they're so boring! I'm not surprised you have fans who recognize your creative talent wherever you go - you have one over here too! The print on the dress you wore for the party is lovely. Really like the blouse and maxi skirt combo too. Must keep my eyes peeled for those long maxi skirts - they really are flattering. My daughter has a few, and she sometimes wears them as strapless dresses with a belt around her waist. She looks sensational. Oh my, what a great photo of you! You haven't aged at all. That Kelmscott Manor looks divine. I have fantasies of living in the Cotswalds in a cottage with a beautiful garden. I'm impressed that Jos is your treasure hunting buddy. It's always better to have company when searching and collecting. Hope he's feeling better. Your collections are so intriguing. Those mannequin heads are the bees knees. I can see why one is never enough! Thankyou so much for showing us your beautiful treasures. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you so much Suzy! And we're actually sharing the same fantasy, as I too would't mind living in a cottage in the Cotswolds! People here tend to wear greys and blacks too, as if colour is only reserved for Summer! xxx

      Delete
  3. that morris print would have made it hard to resist for me too if i ever had seen it in a hasi&mausi.....
    ;-D
    great party outfit!
    but your flea market look is not bad either - floral maxi with tweed is boho chic at its best.
    what a luck to find the shoe stretchers and in your size! love the micro mosaic brooch - its a very delicate and colorful one - beautiful!
    sweet old foto of you!
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beate, and I'm calling H&M "Hasi & Mausi" from now on. It's brilliant ;-)

      Delete
  4. William Morris prints are so lovely. The dress is very pretty, even if it is new! Love the maxi skirt. Prints on black backgrounds is a weakness of mine. And as far your finds, you always ferret out the best stuff! Brooch and head collection are impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That maxi dress looks wonderful! I'm surprised to find out it is not vintage. Now, that you explained the print history, I understand why. I imagine it must be odd to hear that somebody else has it, now that you are so used to vintage items that are always one of a kind or rare.

    The second look is beautiful as well. The mannequin heads are adorable. You have a fab collection. I like the vintage box as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ivana! No, I'm definitely not used to wearing something from the High Street :-) xxx

      Delete
  6. I like your birthdayparty outfit Ann. I never heard about William Morris. I have to ask ecosia ;)
    I can understand you need something of this collection form Morris x h&m.
    I like the brooches you found, too. :)
    a very huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina! I find William Morris and his Arts & Crafts cronies quite fascinating! xxx

      Delete
  7. I really love your party dress, Ann! What a fabulous print and your styling is fantastic as always! :) Hope you're having a wonderful weekend, Ann! XXX

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your collection of heads is great!

    The Morris dress is lovely; I've always been a sucker for the Arts & Crafts bunch and the Pre-Raphaelites myself. The grace and intricacy of Morris' patterns always appeals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mim, and I'm the same with Arts & Crafts and the Pre-Raphaelites! xxx

      Delete
  9. Love your head collection so much and talking of heads I'm loving that headshot of you back in 2006 when you visited Kelmscott.
    The pattern mixing outfit must have pleased your fans a treat, it's super groovy!
    Even though H&M's William Morris collection is pretty ubiquitous here in the UK (our local TV newreader has the blouse) I do think everyone who owns something manages to look individual and fabulous possibly because you have to have great taste to appreciate William Morris!
    Some more fabulous brooches! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix, but I hardly recognize myself in that old photo, and I'm feeling very much like me as I am now. I could have fit in all your frocks back then, that's for sure! xxx

      Delete
  10. I really love your head collection! My favourite is the lady with the spotted hair scarf. You're right, Idina the head, is a dead ringer for the Bolter! I've got this book but haven't read it yet...

    Loved your part dress and accessories and your lovely maxi skirt with the blouse and jacket. Fabulous.

    Lovely finds. I love the Arts and Craft style as well. Did you watch the BBC4 programme where a group of Artists took up residence in an Arts and Crafts house and had to make items in an Arts and Crafts style; it was fascinating!

    You really haven't changed in the 13 years and I liked your hair really short.
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Bolter is a fascinating read. I've heard of the programme but unfortunately we do not get BBC4 here any longer. Sounds fascinating, though. xxx

      Delete
  11. Oh very cute style, great accesories
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that Morris print! I'm completely in love with the earrings you wore to the party-they're amazing!

    Your head collection is spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Goody, but I do have to disappoint you on the earrings, as I wasn't wearing any. I think you might have spotted the necklace? xxx

      Delete
  13. have a lovely Sunday and week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like the maxi skirt you wore to the markets and that first dress is so pretty! I don't get to H&M much so thought it was for sure another fab vintage find of yours!

    Hope that you had a great weekend :) Despite a bit of a rainy one we managed to get to the beach which was nice :)

    Away From Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mica, our weekend was quite rainy too! xxx

      Delete
  15. That's a stunning dress, regardless of who made it! I have found a few (very few) H&M garments over the years that are not too bad for quality. They do really good prints quite often.

    Love your heads! How fun are they? It's odd seeing an older picture of you - you look so different! Hope you've had a great weekend, Ann!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes walk into H&M at the end of my lunch breaks, especially when it's raining. It's very near my office. But I hardly ever buy something, I must say. I agree I look very different in that picture, and I don't actually like it very much. xxx

      Delete
  16. You have a wonderfully diverse brooch collection Ann, I always enjoy looking at them.
    The William Morris looks very artistic! The Arts and Crafts period was a design high wasn't it.
    I love the photo of you from 13 years ago :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sally, and the Arts & Crafts period is a particular favourite of mine. xxx

      Delete
  17. That is a marvellous outfit for the party, even though not vintage! I ALMOST bought this same dress but for the fact it wasn't in the sale and I wasn't convinced the colour was me even though I loved the print! Also, it wasn't in the sale so too expensive! I do like what you wore to the flea market and love that you have sartorial choices fans!!! Your new heads are great and I would also like some shoe stretchers!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kezzie, and no, I wouldn't have bought the dress either if it hadn't been in the sale. Funny that we found shoe stretchers in my size at the very first stall. We came across some others later, but all were for bigger sizes! xxx

      Delete
  18. Firstly, as a huge fan of William Morris, I noticed the H&M collection but couldn't put my hands on anything affordable!, the print is so beautiful! and you look fabulous in it!. Is it a bad thought if I hope that some pieces of this collection end up in charities asap? ;DDD
    So lovely that you could visit William Morris' summer retreat! (I also feel that I look 'painfully thin and extremely short haired' in old pics, sigh!)
    Love your maxi skirt, the floral motives and tweed jacket!, and totally in love with the brooches and buttons you purchased!. And the plaster head looks fab in your treasures shelf, she has a really cute expression!
    And I take notes on this biography, it looks really appealing to me!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Monica! No, I don't think it's a bad thought at all, although I think the people who were able to lay their hands on any of these items will not tire of them very soon ... xxx

      Delete
  19. How lucky to find the dress in H&M, the range sold out here before the sale season began!
    How lucky and lovely to find something you've been hoping to find so easily. I read about a book, The Salt Path, on a blog I follow on Friday. I made a mental note to look out for it and found a pristine copy the very next day. It's not a new or very well known book, so I think it was very serendipitous. I love it when that happens.
    Thank you for another peek at some of your collection, the heads are lovely. Idina is without doubt the perfect name!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you agree on Idina's name ;-) And I agree too that I was lucky to find the dress in H&M. There were quite a few items left. I don't think William Morris is very popular here in Belgium! xxx

      Delete