Saturday 13 June 2020

No time to wallow in the mire

I have to admit that I've been feeling a bit off these last couple of days. There's nothing wrong, really, so don't worry, I'm just having a serious case of the blues which are putting my heartstrings out of tune.

In a world where everything was as it should be and the thought of a pandemic having the world in its vice sounded like pure science fiction, we would be in our cottage in Shropshire by now, after a day's journey which would have started in the early hours of this morning.

It's the first time in over twenty years that we won't be making it to the UK!

And I'm sorry, but even knowing that there are far worse things people have to deal with the world over, or that I'm just one of many whose holiday plans were cancelled, doesn't really help to ease the pain right now.


But I'm sure it will pass, and as I count my blessings - we are both in good health for starters - there really is no reason to wallow in self pity. And we have all the time in the world as well, to do almost anything we feel like doing - except going on that UK holiday - including doing nothing very much at all.

So, without further ado, I am retracing my steps to Friday before last. The sun was still conspicuous by her absence, and the day's overall gloominess was accompanied by temperatures barely into double figures.



I was in the mood for what Sheila would call a jammy dress, and this flower sprinkled chocolate brown one immediately sprang to mind. It's an old sales bargain from Zoë Loveborn, a label which doesn't seem to be around anymore. 

It's got three-quarter sleeves, which obviously aren't visible here, as it was far too chilly to step out into the garden without a cardigan. From its cheerful print I chose yellow for my belt and green for my necklace. And with the weather forecast being pretty dire, I obviously needed an umbrella!



The multiple outside projects I had lined up needed to take a back seat for now so, after cursing the weather's fickleness, I decided to continue with project dining room.

The wide window sill overlooking the passageway was in need of a good dusting so I thought this was the perfect opportunity to rearrange the objects on display. It might be hard to believe, but I didn't even put everything back! A minimalist I will never ever be.


The huge black phone was a gift from one of Jos's friends. It is a direct line desk phone, with a metal body and a Bakelite handle, dating from the 1950s. As you can see, it has a crank, and no dial.

The lamp, with its embellished brass Art Nouveau base, was found in a vintage shop, while the old glass pop bottles were picked up during various UK holidays.


The plaster girl and her two adorable, big Bambi-eyed pet deer was a charity shop find back in 2018. 

And then there's the typewriter ... It is a much loved heirloom, belonging to my paternal grandfather and dating from the late 1920s, early 1930s, and it used to be displayed in a more prominent position. If you're interested in its history - and my grandfather's - you can read all about it in this post.

But lately, it has fallen out of grace, which I'm sure needs no explanation. However, rather than banishing it to the basement, I moved it a bit further along the window sill ...


... and gave it a face mask!

Jos had a laughing fit when he saw what I'd done, and I'm hoping that it will make you smile at the very least.

Directly beneath the window sill, in what used to be a bit of a wasted space, is a low bookshelf custom made by my Dad, who used to be a joiner by trade.



Apart from an encyclopedia of the 20th Century and my vintage Barbie collecting books, the shelf is home to a large collection of gardening books.

These do come in all shapes and sizes including, obviously, those of a practical nature.

The vast majority are second-hand finds and there are some proper vintage ones as well.


Much to my delight, the well-thumbed copy of  the late Christopher Lloyd's The Well-Tempered Garden, contained the second one of the brass bookmarks from Past Times.  I knew there were two, but I didn't have the faintest idea where the second one had got to. 


There are gardening books of a more poetic nature too, as well as a volume of botanical prints and the December 1940 issue of My Garden, intriguingly subtitled as An Intimate Magazine for Garden Lovers!



All of a sudden, with an eardrum shattering noise, it starting pelting down, producing a watery curtain which soon turned our garden path into a minor river. 

It was brief but torrential and although everything had received a welcome soaking, no real damages seemed to have been caused.


Lunch was followed by our weekly visit to the garden centre. By then, it had turned chilly enough to wear a coat over my dress and cardigan. 

We bought some trellis for a pending garden project and some more plants, including six lavenders of the Hidcote variety. This is yet again a UK holiday reminder, as we visited Hidcote Gardens near Chipping Campden in Gloucestershire on a hot day in July 2006.


Our first job on Saturday, when it mercifully remained mainly dry, was planting up two window boxes with the six Hidcote lavenders. These boxes live on our bedroom's window ledge and had shamefully been harbouring only weeds for quite some time.

The lavender is only just coming into flower, and we are looking forward to waking up to the buzzing of bees in the months to come.


A gusty wind was blowing and making the clouds play a game of hide-and-seek with the sun. Although it wasn't too bad during the brief moments that the sun was ahead of the game, it was decidedly chilly when the clouds had once again gained the upper hand.

Long sleeves to the rescue! I accompanied my sky blue, orange and green floral skirt with a green, yellow and white flower strewn long-sleeved Diolen blouse. More flowers appeared in my brooch, while further accessories were my favourite orange belt and a pale blue beaded necklace.

Before going out into the garden, I pulled on the old blue cardigan I've got lying around, as I could definitely do with a double layer of long sleeves. 



Apart from the lavender, we also bought some patio plants, which I potted up and divided over the plant table next to the bench at the back of the garden and the table right outside the back door. They include, clockwise from top right, pink Garvinea, which is a hardy garden gerbera, blue yellow-hearted Felicia, and deep red Cosmos atrosanguineus, also know as chocolate cosmos, as the flowers have a distinct chocolate scent. We used to have them many years ago but I hadn't been able to find some since. With that in mind, I couldn't resist buying two.


The tempestuous weather continued on Sunday and the wind combined with the odd shower made for a day better spent inside.

I caught up with blogland, continued with my Victorian fashion book and listlessly pottered around the house, making a start with rearranging the book and cd shelves in the dining room.



I was in short sleeves again, but the dress I'd plucked from my wardrobe was a thick and lined Diolen one, so that I only needed the cardigan to go on my round of inspection in the garden.

The dress, with its sunny blue, white and yellow print, originally had belt loops, but they weren't where my waist is, so I removed them. The loops are an indication that the dress once had a belt, which it had lost by the time it came to me. I added a yellow vinyl one from my stash, wore a vintage yellow beaded necklace and pinned on a large plastic brooch featuring a lady wearing a generously decorated hat.

To the orange, yellow and blue checked cardigan - a charity shop find - I clipped three different flower corsages.


And what did I see on my round of inspection? 

Exactly! Lots of wildlife, some good and some bad. The bad being the snails, of course, who, with their army of friends and family, are lying in wait to decimate our garden plants.

They seem to have a particular penchant for the Tagetes, but aren't above eating holes into the Hollyhock leaves or leaving their slimy trails all over any Petunias which are planted low enough for them to reach. Now where did I put that pot of Vaseline, so that I can at least try and deter the voracious creatures from devouring those plants which are lucky enough to be planted in pots!



36 comments:

  1. Yes, people with gardens are always at war with snails. My mother feeds snails to seagulls. I found it odd. I would expect sea gulls to eat sea snails not land ones, but maybe they like to try something different. It is nice to see wild life in a garden, good or bad life wild, it is a sign of a healthy environment, I'd say. Your outfits are all lovely. I like the blue dress with short sleeves a lot. I also like the brown dress. The skirt and the blouse are a nice combo as well.

    I think it is understandable that you're feeling the blues. Travelling is a comfort to a heart and it must be hard not being able to travel to your regular destination. I hope that the situation in the UK will improve as soon as possible. They seem to have been quite hit with the virus. It is odd not hearing English voices here, I've gotten used to them this time of year. It's mostly German and Slavic speaking tourists that I see on the streets these day.

    That corona typewriter is a beauty. What a great piece to inherit. Putting a mask on it was a fun idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivana! Unfortunately we don't have that many seagulls where I live as I would happily feed them all the slugs and snails from my garden! xxx

      Delete
  2. It's a shame you can't have your holiday and I understand you being upset. Just because people are dealing with worse doesn't make your feelings nay less valid! it's a tough time to get through and it's hard when our usual things that would cheer us up are things we can't do any more. I hope things get safer soon and you are able to have a later trip! :)

    I really like your dresses you've shared today - I love the last blue one but I think the yellow with the brown dress is a lovely combination!

    Hope you are having a lovely weekend :) It's a rainy winter day here!

    Away From Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your understanding Mica! In the meantime, we have booked a week away in our own country in September, so that we have that to look forward to at least! xxx

      Delete
  3. After a few months of this it isn't unexpected to feel a bit glum about things.

    I did laugh at your typewriter. My Underwood typewriter sends your Corona well wishes ;)

    I don't get snails thankfully, but I do get caterpillars that enjoy kale, and neighbourhood stray cats that enjoy biting the tops off of my just starting sunflowers. Sigh. Can you at least cook the snails? I've never had them but I hear they're a delicacy.

    Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've once had snails - well, escargots, it just sounds less horrible in French. Can't say I liked it very much. My Corona send your Underwood well wishes back :-) xxx

      Delete
  4. Lovely outfits, as always Ann!

    Fancy that typewriter being named Corona!!!

    I've always loved lavender but never heard of a chocolate version of it. I can imagine that smelling heavenly. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jess. Corona was a famous brand of typewriters back then! The chocolate smelling plant is not a Lavender, it is called a Cosmos. And indeed it smells heavenly. I can't help having a little sniff every time I walk past :-) xxx

      Delete
  5. Your arrival in the UK was still in my phone diary along with a stay at our favourite hotel in Grange Over Sands and I did sigh deeply and thought of your disappointment and how you must be feeling. Next year will be all the more special.
    I’m enjoying seeing all your outfits Ann, it’s lovely to see so much colour and I definitely think frocks and cardies are your thing. You look amazing.
    It’s Sunday morning now and it looks like it could be a sunny day so I better get on with sorting the garden gate display out.
    Much love to you both xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for thinking of me Lynn! We managed to switch our cottage booking to next year, so you can already put an arrival date of 12 June in your diary! xxx

      Delete
  6. snails love tagetes - for eating. but usually the big weinberg ones do eat dead plants mostly - the real pest are the red spanish slugs.....
    the lavender will make for a nice smell on the window sill of your bedroom! good idea!
    i still have an irish sweater lying around für chilly mornings/evenings - it is not summer yet. but your goose berries start to look eatable!
    hugsies! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was starting to gather that they love Tagetes! I had to replace the poor things, as there was hardly anything left of them. Thankfully we don't have those horrible red Spanish slugs ... xxx

      Delete
  7. Phoebe is doing a very poor job of keeping the snails from the garden! I love your two outfits here, Ann - both with lots of yellow (for feeling better). I've been down in the dumps too - just a combination of sadness (Karen) and not being able to do the little things we used to take for granted, like short holidays. Maybe we'll appreciate them all the more when we can finally do them again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, she's rather hopeless, isn't she? I can feel your sadness, Sheila. At least all I have to complain about is a missed holiday ... puts things in perspective, doesn't it? Sending multitudes of hugs xxx

      Delete
  8. I think you're more than entitled to be upset about your holiday being postponed, your annual trip to the UK is as much part of you as our visits to India. I'm upset as it means we don't get to see you both for ages!
    Love all your outfits. Thank goodness you've got such a variety of clothes to chose from, we never know what the weather's going to do next.
    The Corona typewriter made me giggle. I love Corona beer but felt embarrased to buy it last time we went to the Co-op in case people thought it was being flippant!
    I wish cats would take as much interest in slugs and snails as they do birds and mice. Phoebe needs to sort those slimy interlopers out, never mind lounfing around looking pretty.
    Hope you feel brighter and happier today. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly how it is! And it's even worse as we not only miss our holiday but miss getting to see you :-( Cats eh? Phoebe would run a mile if a slug or snail came to close, but would happily chase a butterfly. She needs to get her priorities straight, the silly beast! xxx

      Delete
  9. Love the typewriter and its story. I remember that old post where you talk about your grandfather. Funny addition of the mask!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ally, I had a feeling you might like that! xxx

      Delete
  10. Oh Ann I am so sad about your UK Holiday. No wonder you have the blues. ❤️
    Your garden is stunnung and the snails are having a holiday in it 😊
    I love every single Style. Realy you had to wear a coat?
    Have a nice holiday, maybe you can make a shorttrip in Belgium?
    a very huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Tina! I'm pleased to say that we have booked a short holiday in Belgium in September! xxx

      Delete
  11. Oh, those bloody snails! OH does a hunt late in the evening and removes them from the pots - we use vaseline, too; and I believe copper rings are another good deterrent.

    Lovely outfits and accessories; I loved the checkered cardigan with the blue and yellow dress, in particular. In the first outfit post you blended so well with the flowers I thought they were your brooches at first! Fab plants from the garden centre let's hope the snails stay away from them...

    I loved your art deco lamp - absolutely gorgeous. I had a similar typewriter as a teenager bought in a junk shop; I wish I still had it.

    It's such a shame about your non UK holiday but just think how much you will treasure the next one you do make it. Maybe we could arrange a multiple bloggers meet up as well?

    You have a fab collection of gardening books.

    Stay safe and take care
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to do an after dark hunt too, but it really is never-ending! The vaseline hasn't helped so far, I think they have found other ways to get in. Oh, wouldn't a multiple blogger meet up be fantastic? xxx

      Delete
  12. I'm so sorry you're feeling down and that your holiday is cancelled. My holiday to Ibiza,due to start in two weeks, has also been cancelled. It's good we have our gardens and I'm so grateful for that. Yours is looking beautiful.
    I love the typewriter first aid :)
    The coat you popped on to visit the garden centre is right up my street. I too have finally visited the garden centre and started planting up.
    Take care and wishing you a happy week. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry your holiday is cancelled as well. Were you able to get your money back at least? We were able to re-book for next year! xxx

      Delete
  13. Totally relate on the holiday thing. My husband and I were supposed to be on the Queen Mary right now bound for UK with a stay there and Ireland for 6 weeks. It was the vacation we've been saving for for years. I do feel guilty at times about how disappointed we are since there are so many others suffering far greater stressors right now. But the depressing thoughts do still tend to rear their ugly heads! Just keep doing what you're doing and remember, your blog posts add enjoyment for many. Seeing your lovely garden photos and colorful outfits is definitely a mental pick me up. And I love seeing all your interesting objects. You do a wonderful job of displaying them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how absolutely devastating to have that trip of a lifetime cancelled! Hope you got some compensation! You don't have to feel guilty for being disappointed. Keep on doing what we're doing is the only way, I think. Thank you for your kind words, Theresa! xxx

      Delete
  14. Oh I can so relate, I'm really struggling this week because this time last year we were in Cornwall, and we were due to be there next week but had to cancel. I miss the sea and I am generally feeling blue about our cancelled holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm so sorry Gisela, I can totally understand that you're feeling blue. Hopefully you can go to Cornwall later this year ... xxx

      Delete
  15. I'm also missing my holidays, missing the excitement and fun of our excursions and travels, and feeling dissapointed and sad, even if I'm counting my blessings too.
    Love your umbrella brooch and this 'flower sprinkled chocolate brown' dress with yellow and green accessories!, so cheering up! (even under a coat!).
    Lovely blue and green color combo too, and so delightful floral prints!. And your blue dress is so fab, love it with the multicolored cardi and beautiful flowers as a brooch!. Love your brilliant accessorizing!
    I'm admiring your gardening books, they look amazing, their titles are particularly evocative and even poetic. So appealing and inspiring collection!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica! I think it's normal to be sad. A holiday is something we all look forward to, to be away from it all for a while. We would definitely be in need of a holiday after all we've been going through! I'm pleased to hear you love my gardening books! xxx

      Delete
  16. Hello! I've followed your blog for a while and enjoyed it, but never took the time to comment before. I'm sorry you'll miss out on your annual trip, but I do think it will be all the more special to make that trip in the future when it is safer to do so. I feel as though we are all in the grips of an involuntary Lent where we are being forced to give up many pleasures that we once took for granted. It's painful, but perhaps the opportunity for self-growth will outweigh the temporary disappointments and inconveniences.

    On a happier note, the mask you put on your typewriter made me laugh, and it reminded me of actor Tom Hanks' Corona typewriter, which he very kindly donated to a little boy who had the unfortunate name of Corona and was being bullied for it. What a wonderful gift it was, to have a celebrity reach out like that with an unexpected act of kindness. If Corona can kill, perhaps it's also the psychiatrist who can heal, as Hemingway would have us believe. It's all in what you make of it.

    Stay safe, darling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always a pleasure to receive comments from long time readers. How lovely of you to take the time. I do agree that even though our missed holidays and other pleasures are a wrench, there is a positive side to all this as well. I've never had so much time to do things beside work. I did read the story about Tom Hanks' Corona typewriter. What a lovely thing to do. Thank you again and stay safe! xxx

      Delete
  17. Your typewriters face mask did make me laugh!

    Your Hidcote lavender window boxes look lovely! A little piece of the UK of your own.

    I find the days when I’m restricted to being inside by the weather the hardest to deal with, the garden has become such a large part of my daily life since lockdown began. I always used to spend a good chunk of time out here but now the garden is like another room in the house, getting used as much as any other.

    Take care
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it made you laugh Hazel. I am actually feeling a bit sorry for the typewriter, as I'll never look at it in the same way again! I too find the bad weather days the hardest to deal with. Being able to spend time in the garden does make all the difference! xxx

      Delete
  18. Dear Ann, it is completely normal and perfectly okay to feel blue/out of sorts/bummed - especially when a beloved tradition like your annual trip to the UK is not possible this time around.

    Having one's routine and/or plans seriously disrupted is enough to throw anybody off-kilter and to impact their mood.

    I'm deeply sorry that a trip to good ol' Blighty is not possible this time around. While we didn't have a specific destination planned as the year began, my husband and I often take a road trip sometime between mid-summer and late fall. Due to the pandemic, we've opted to be safe and forgo such a get-away this year, which we'll both miss doing big time. It's well worth skipping a year though, we both feel, if it helps to ensure all the more that we're here for many more (hopefully pandemic-free!) years and future trips to come.

    We'll be staying put, enjoying the roasty-toasty weather, and making the most of this unique summer and whatever additional curveballs it may have up its sleeve for our planet.

    I wholeheartedly hope that despite everything, this season will house an abundance of positive, fun filled happenings + memories for you two as well, and that come summer 2021, you'll be able to zip over to the UK and savour a holiday there as per usual.

    Autumn Zenith 🧡 Witchcrafted Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Autumn, I'm glad you think it's normal to feel blue under the circumstances. We were able to change the dates of our UK holiday cottage to next June. I'm reasonably happy living my life from day to day for the time being, but I'd love to have some perspective. Stay safe, darling! xxx

      Delete