Wednesday 10 June 2020

Clouds are coming

Monday the First of June was Whit Monday, which is a bank holiday here in Belgium, making my already long weekend even longer.

Waking up feeling languid, as if hungover from all that fresh air I'd breathed on our nature walk on Sunday, I was clearly not up to doing much at all. This wasn't helped by those dreaded end-of-a-long-weekend blues and exacerbated by the temperatures, which were once again nudging towards the high twenties.


Already battling with stickiness inducing humidity quite early in the morning, I opted for breezy, lightweight fabrics in a distinctly non-vintage skirt and blouse combo. OK, I could have gone sleeveless, but that would have meant defuzzing my underarms, which would have been too much exertion for my lethargic state of mind.

The bright orange floral skirt is an old and much loved retail buy, while the thin cotton blouse was a charity shop find, originally from H&M. I think it picked up the blues in the skirt perfectly.


I defined my waist by adding a favourite tan belt, and accessorized with an orange beaded necklace and a very fragile vintage brooch, a flea market find back in August 2018.

Oh, and I just remembered I painted my toenails that day, choosing an aqua shade, so that I could at least wear sandals without having the fashion police at my heels.



Accompanied by Phoebe, who soon had enough and settled on her cushion on our garden bench, I did my daily round of the garden, checking the progress of plants and flowers and doing some light deadheading along the way. 

The Petunias I planted in one of our hanging baskets are blooming exuberantly, almost covering the basket itself. Aren't they a sight to behold?

On our previous garden centre visit, I'd succumbed to a pot of Nepeta or catmint, supposedly as a treat for Phoebe. However, after initially going mad, rubbing her head in it and chewing off a couple of leaves, she seems to be mostly ignoring it, so that I could safely plant it out in the garden.



We'd also bought a well developed Echinacea, which I'd planted in a big terracotta pot, putting some two-tone orange Tagetes and velvety purple and cream Petunias in front.  I used the pot as a stopgap between the new border and our garden bench, where the poor and sandy soil has prevented me from planting anything permanent just yet.


I was a novice gardener when we first moved to Dove Cottage, my only experience gained from our plant covered balcony high up at our twelfth floor apartment and - subconsciously - from the gardens of my childhood, in particular my paternal grandparents' enchanting little plot.

But my love affair with gardens and plants was instant and irrevocable and, even if it lay dormant for a couple of years, it's certainly back with a vengeance. And however jaded my soul is, it will be soothed by stepping out into the garden and visiting my garden friends. Currently going strong are, clockwise from top left, Gaillardia 'Wild Fire', Delphinium 'Dark Blue and White Bee', Helenium 'The Bishop' and Geum 'Lady Stratheden'.



That night, we were regaled by yet another glorious sunset, which was made even more spectacular by the murder of crows which is roosting on one particular rooftop, intermittently making short group flights, and creating a rather raucous cacophony.

My working week consisted of two consecutive days on Tuesday and Wednesday. But while Tuesday was very busy, taking me well over two hours to just go through my emails, Wednesday was quite tame and quiet in comparison.



It did start with a visit to the hairdresser, as I'd finally been able to make an appointment for a colour and cut. They even opened the salon half an hour earlier, especially for me!

Having to wear a mask - I obviously used a disposable one and not one of the nice cotton ones made by my lovely stepdaughter - was a bit weird, as was having my hair done by an alien-looking creature wearing a mask as well as a face shield. It was nice chatting to Michel, though, and he did an amazing job as always. We also marvelled at the fact that I've been visiting the salon for 25 years!


After I'd caught up with work, I felt inspired enough to don my mask and venture outside again. I popped into the post office next door to send off a surprise card to someone I won't mention as they might be reading this, and then walked to the nearest Think Twice shop. This felt even weirder than going to the hairdresser, but I wanted to continue giving them my support. 

There's a one way system and only a limited number of people are able to shop for a maximum of 30 minutes, but there were hardly any customers. I was in there for under 15 minutes, tentatively going through the racks of clothing without feeling the need to buy.

Before leaving the shop, however, I spotted this moss green vintage handbag, which is just the right size to serve as a workaday bag. Resistance was futile!


On Thursday, the sunny Summer weather which had been with us for weeks suddenly came to an end. It was cloudy and dull and quite a bit cooler, but although rain had been forecasted, precipitation was limited to some scattered drops.

The distinct lack of sunshine, however, meant that I was forced to provide my own, which I did by wearing this symphony of green, yellow and orange on white.


I accessorized the dress, a true vintage one from Think Twice, with an ochre belt and beads, and added an orange and green mottled brooch.  My ochre long line cardigan, to which I'd clipped an orange flower corsage, completed that day's outfit.

While Jos was doing the weekly food shop, I exchanged the tired looking vinyl tablecloth covering the kitchen table with a cheery wipeable one featuring lemons on a bright pink and white zig zag pattern, which I'd got when I went to buy the towels the previous week.


Instead of putting back the peeling placemats which were well past their sell-by date, I made some new ones, using transparent plastic L-folders and vintage wallpaper.

After lunch, we made a trip to the DIY store, as I've got plans to breathe new life into the vintage 1960s cane chair which lives under our awning. The chair was part of the furniture Jos and his late ex-wife started married life with back in 1968.

We bought the necessary paints (it's going to have a minty green top coat) and brushes but I'm currently awaiting better weather conditions to start the project.



Meanwhile, Jos was able to harvest some of our rhubarb and make a tiny single portion of stewed rhubarb, which he loves but I don't. 

Phoebe really is an all-weather girl, although she does draw the line to heavy rain, when she takes refuge in her box under the awning, often stubbornly refusing to come inside even when it's pelting down.


And still, regardless of the weather, flowers come and go in a dizzying parade of colours and shapes.

I do hope that the one and only flower bud in our oriental Poppy will keep from flowering until the predicted rains have come and gone. It would be such a shame if its life were curtailed and we - and the resident bees - were denied its intoxicating beauty.



I'm leaving you for now, with a view of the new border which is looking lusher by the minute. As you can see, the Nasturtiums I sowed around the obelisk are producing huge leaves, but there's no sign of any flowers as yet. I'm living in hope that some rain will do the trick.

I'll be back with more garden news and adventures in a couple of days. Meanwhile, as always, do stay safe, my friends!



34 comments:

  1. I would never have guessed that your first outfit's main pieces are not vintage - this just goes to show how timeless real vintage is! I love these colours together. I love your turquoise toes, and Ms. Phoebe looks like she's telling you, "You missed a spot!"

    That is one glorious sunset! Wow! Woo, you got your hair done! I have a haircut scheduled for next week and I can't wait. I don't mind my hair long, but it's so frazzled at the ends. I would have snagged that lovely bag too - is it leather? Looks like it.

    Your colours in your second outfit are magnificent - you are the personification of summer in them! Phoebe looks like she's spotted something. I'm so glad you never really lost your love of gardening - it shows in your bountiful plot.

    PS - I like rhurbarb! Maybe you just need to add more sugar. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila! If Phoebe thinks I've missed a spot, she's probably "spot on" :-) Yes, the bag is leather. I've been using it to go the office ever since, and it even got seriously soaked a couple of days ago without any damage at all. xxx

      Delete
  2. you match your garden furniture!!!
    really - sitting with a mask @ the hairdresser? one more reason for me to have long hair ;-D the green bag is very fab - would have bought it too!
    i come over for the rhubarb - love it!
    hugsies! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do, don't I? It wasn't intentional though :-) It wasn't much fun wearing that mask at the hairdresser's, but unfortunately I had no choice! xxx

      Delete
  3. ohh I love your orange explosion 😁
    You look great with nes cutted and coloured hair and your garden is amazing.
    Had you ever so much time for gardening? 😉
    with a very huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina, and you are right in thinking that I never had so much time for gardening. It's such an enjoyable and relaxing occupation! xxx

      Delete
  4. Your hairdressing visit doesn't sound very relaxing at all but your hair looks fabulous. I bet you feel so good now.
    Love the modern retro outfit and that fabulously bright dress. That bag was a fantastic find, I love the shape and the colour. Our shops reopen on Monday but I don't think we'll be in any hurry to visit the chazzas, as Jon pointed out, we went a few days before lockdown and as they've been closed since then, they're going to still be full of the same old tat. Maybe we'll give them a try in a fortnight or so.
    The tablecloth is such a joy and your tablemat idea is absolutely inspired.
    Love the colour of your toenails. I hate mine when they're naked, my feet doesn't look like mine.
    Dove Cottage's garden is magical, as is that sunset you captured so well. Phoebe looks so at home in her jungle. Frank gets really grumpy when the weather doesn't play nicely, he seems to think it's our fault. Silly beast!
    I'm with Jos, I love rhubarb. Try it mixed with raspberries, heavenly!
    Hope your weather perks up soon! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix! My hairdressing visit wasn't very relaxing indeed. In fact, I had been stressing about it for days. So glad I had it done, though. Our shops have opened about a month ago, and I still haven't been to the chazzas. That quick visit to Think Twice is all I've managed. Phoebe thinks it's our fault that it rains too! xxx

      Delete
  5. Your experiences at the salon and shopping mirror what I'm seeing and hearing -- people are sensibly being slow to return to public life. Sure, it's good to have our hair done and be out but we have to balance that with precautions against the virus. It's still here.

    Also, I always love the vibrant colors in your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Ally. Apart from the long overdue salon visit, I'm not in any rush to be out and about, especially where shopping is concerned. xxx

      Delete
  6. Lovely outfits!, I love your floral skirt and blue shirt and how well they go!, fab color combo and so cute brooch (it actually looks fragil, but so beautiful!)
    Lovely to see your garden blooming!, and lovely to see you in your orange and green and yellow ensemble matching your garden furniture, such a perfect background for a cheering up outfit!. Lovely dress and lovely accessorizing!
    Totally understand your feelings when being at the hairdressers. It's the same here. My phisiotherapist looks like if working in an ultra-secret lab (in a James Bond film!), but this keeps us safe!.
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica. That brooch is super fragile, so I need to be careful when I wear it. Walking around, I often feel as if I've ended up in a SF film, it's all so unreal, isn't it? xxx

      Delete
  7. Your hair looks fabulous! I am so envious, hairdressers won't be opening here in the UK until, at the earliest, 4th July, I am tired of my two-tone grey and brown hair! As I am at home at least no-one can see me. Your garden really looks most glorious. My plants are so late in flowering, the garden is mainly still green. Love your outfits, as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carole! I'm keeping my fingers crossed your salons will re-open soon. It really made all the difference that I could have my hair done. Not sure where you are in the UK, but it might be that our temperature is a bit more moderate than yours. Also, our garden has its own micro climate and everything's a bit earlier here. xxx

      Delete
  8. Hello Ann. So much to love in this blog! I think I have the same H&M shirt (long sleeve version). Love how you paired it with the floral skirt and bronze sandals. My favourite is your green, yellow and orange dress. So spectacular! Even matches your outdoor setting!

    Your garden is brimming with colour. The hanging petunias are so pretty. Plus, what a magnificent sunset!

    Love the colourful tablecloths. They are a weakness for me. I can't resist beautiful ones in stores/op-shops. You did a great job with the placemats too.

    I have to give rhubarb another shot. Only ever tried it once, but didn't like it.

    How is it you managed to find another green bag!!! I can't find one decent one!

    Your hair looks fantastic. The colour suits you so much. I have my first hair appointment next week - can't wait.

    Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suzy! I would have preferred a tablecloth from the charity shop, but we still haven't plucked up the courage to visit one. Glad I'm not the only one who isn't a fan of rhubarb. I know, there was no chance I wasn't going to buy that bag! xxx

      Delete
  9. I'm high fiving you across the miles regarding being able to get your hair cut and coloured again at long, long last. I know how much you'd (entirely understandably) been yearning for that. How lovely of the salon to open up early in advance for you. The fresh 'do looks positively gorgeous!

    Autumn Zenith 🧡 Witchcrafted Life

    PS: While I don't loath it - and really don't mind it combined with sweeter fruits, such as strawberries - rhubarb has never been my absolute favourite food either. So you're definitely not alone there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Autumn! I'm pleased to hear I'm not the only one who's not rhubarb's biggest fan! Jos doesn't mind having it all for himself, though :-) xxx

      Delete
  10. A haircut and a trip to 'Think Twice'? Why it's almost back to normal for you, Ann!

    I loved your outfits especially the green, orange and white one; such a lovely dress! I haven't yet painted my toenails something I must do soon....

    The garden is looking beautiful and I love what you're going to do to the cane chair. All these little creative projects keep the creative juices flowing.

    Loved the handbag - it's green!

    I was always very inspired by my maternal grandmother's garden in Ireland, too.

    Take care and happy gardening!
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vronni! Both the haircut and Think Twice trip felt very weird, so I wouldn't exactly call them "normal". The cane chair project still hasn't happened, but then I still have time! Our grandparents' gardens seem to have made quite an impression on us! xxx

      Delete
  11. 25 years with the same hairdresser! Wow! I only found mine 5years ago. Before that I was never really satisfied with hairdressers. I am not the easiest person, can you tell....What a beautiful pink sky you photographed. We see bats every night for a few minutes. Love your first outfit! Rhubarb isn't something that I like either and Gerben does, but I never made it myself. Perhaps I should give it a try, I think it is very healthy isn't it! And what a fabulous handbag you spotted! What a perfect color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy! I know, I was lucky finding my hairdresser at that time. It was my lucky year, apparently: firs Jos and I got married, then I found my current job and then my hairdresser. All still going strong ;-) xxx

      Delete
  12. I'm glad you managed to get a hair appointment, I bet everyone wants one by now. It's looking good.
    Gardening is so calming isnt it? I love it too, I also love rhubarb, just as well it grows like a weed in our garden.
    Have a good weekend. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sally! Hairdressers were allowed to open from 18 May, but when I called for an appointment, the earliest I could go was 3 June. He said his phone hadn't stopped ringing .. xxx

      Delete
  13. I love the sunset and it's so nice you were able to get in at the hairdresser! Ours have stayed open through everything although i think most people were too scared to go - when we went to take my son for a haircut the other week we only got in as there was a cancellation! Normally we can just walk in on a weekday, I've done that many times in the past as it's quite quick for a toddler haircut, haha!

    Your garden looks beautiful! The succulent plant my husband got me for mother's day is unfortunately suffering - I'm not good with plants at all and we are trying to give it more light and I'm trying to remember to regularly water it. But is once every two weeks enough? Maybe more? I have no idea! I've killed cacti before so that indicates how horrible my plant care is, ha!

    Hope you are having a lovely weekend :) I went shopping with my sister yesterday, it was a lot of fun and nice to get out to the stores again :)

    Away From Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mica! I'm not very good with indoor plants, only the ones in my garden :-) And yes, I have managed to kill cacti as well! xxx

      Delete
  14. That green dress with white stripes is a beauty! I also like the orange details, the floral print together with stripes- simply perfect. The green bag you bought is very chic.
    It is nice you managed to visit a hair dresser finally. So nice of them to open it early for you. I got my hair cut a few or so ago by a hair dresser I didn't know previously (I just walked into a random hair saloon) but she did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivana! I have never been lucky with random salons, so I was very glad to have found my current hairdresser! xxx

      Delete
  15. Gardens are fantastic, aren't they? I especially like looking at yours. We have nasturtiums in our garden too and just adore them.

    Your lemon table cloth is gorgeous and I can't wait to see how the mint green chair project turns out. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jess! The mint green chair project hasn't happened yet. I'd need some constant dry and not too warm weather for it, which hasn't been on the cards lately! xxx

      Delete
  16. Aqua nail polish and Echinacea are on my shopping list now ... All the best! These crazy times must end! Regula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Regula, yes, I agree, they must end! xxx

      Delete
  17. Sunsets have been glorious recently - a real treat!

    I’m jealous that you’ve had your hair done - it looks lovely - and how nice of them to open early. I’d love to have found a hairdresser that I would happily visit for 25 years, no one seems to cut my hair in the way that I ask for. I’m lucky that my hair is low maintenance, I can easily cut my fringe myself but the lengths would benefit from a trim and a tidy up of the layers. I’ll just have to be patient as they’re yet to open up in the UK, and appointments will be like hen’s teeth when they do re-open.

    I love your new green bag, I don’t think I could’ve left the tin the shop either, it’s gorgeous!

    Your green, yellow, orange and white dress is a summer in it’s own right. You could wear it in the dead of winter and still feel summery.

    I think the cane chair will look smashing painted mint green (or course you chose green!), it’ll look really cheerful.

    Take care
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hazel! I once tried to cut my own fringe. Well, what can I say? Never again :-) I did have to wait for my appointment as well. Our salons opened on 18 May, and I got my appointment for 3 June! xxx

      Delete