Wednesday 24 June 2020

Leaps and bounds

Given the circumstances, life has been coming along just fine lately, rising and falling in the gentlest of undulations. The future may be one big question mark, but as long as I keep taking things day by day, and keep finding pleasure in the little things, I seem to be coping pretty well and taking the unavoidable little ups and downs in my stride.


It was on Monday before last that our single Oriental poppy finally burst into life. Admittedly, it had needed a tiny bit of help as its bud seemed to be stuck in one place, endangering the unfolding of the neatly origami'd flower petals inside.

I was slogging away at the office when Jos sent me a photo of the freshly opened flower with its ruffled scarlet petals.  As its life expectancy greatly depends upon the weather, I asked him to take plenty of photographs, in case I wouldn't be able to see it in real life. I needn't have worried, as it's only starting to lose its petals as I write!


It had been muggy all day and I was feeling decidedly sticky by the time I got home. Before hopping into the shower, I thought I'd go and water the plants, so I stepped outside carrying my watering can, which I'd filled with fresh well water.

The minute I stepped onto the cast iron boot scraper, however, it slid away from under my feet. I dropped the watering can, splashing water all over and, in a bid to maintain my balance, my flailing arms almost knocked over the plant table outside our back door and sent some of the poor plants flying.

Neither the plants nor myself sustained serious injuries, but when I surveyed the plant table, which was basically a decrepit old wooden crate, I had to admit it was time we found our plants a new home.



Scouring both the shed and our basement though, we couldn't find anything remotely suitable to be used as a plant table. In normal circumstances, this would have marked the start of a mammoth charity shop trawl, but as this wasn't an option, I looked at the website of a homewares shop, where I came across some recycled wooden plant tables in two different sizes.

So, on Tuesday, we drove down to their nearest brick and mortar branch and bought both tables, as well as a set of seat pads for our garden chairs and a recycled wooden crate.

It was only when I'd removed all the plants and took away the old crate that it became apparent how much in need of replacing it was!


I had a massive clear up of the accumulated garden waste which had lodged itself between the crate and the kitchen wall, making quite a few spiders homeless in the process. We even had to re-home a tiny wild strawberry plant, which had escaped its mother growing around the corner.

There, doesn't it look neat? There's space for all the plants and more, including those poor plants which were living their lives on top of upside-down flower pots. 


The dress I was wearing is neither vintage nor second hand. In fact, I bought it at a sample sale of Belgian retro label Wow To Go many years ago, when I was able to snap up several of their dresses at ridiculously low prices. 

I ditched the self-fabric belt it came with, replacing it with a brown leather one with a tortoiseshell buckle. My other accessories echoed the brown and turquoise colours of the dress as well. There's nothing new here, even my turquoise Miz Mooz sandals were a charity shop find from last year.


It had been another warm and humid day but even though rain had been threatening all afternoon, nothing had happened by early evening, so that there was nothing for it but to wield my watering can again.



The forecast for Wednesday's office day was more of the same sunny but sticky weather, with warnings of heavy rain and thunderstorms in the late afternoon.

At one point, I needed to flee the stuffy office for a breath of fresh air, so some time around midday I donned my mask and took the lift to the ground floor for a walk around the block. I might even have gone into an almost deserted shop and bought two belts which were on sale.


By 4 pm, however, clouds had started gathering and gearing themselves up for a fine spectacle. Sure enough, less than 5 minutes later we were treated to what I can only call a deluge. By then, Jos had already left home and was on its way to our pick-up point in Antwerp. With a strong wind to accompany the rain, there was no way I would have made it without getting drenched, as my measly little umbrella definitely wasn't made for weather like this!

So, while Jos found a parking space a couple of minutes away, I waited it out in the office building's entrance hall, only venturing outside when the rain seemed to have lessened. 


How wrong I was. I had barely crossed the street when it started pelting down again. Briefly sheltering under a shop's awning, I then decided to just go for it, slipping and sliding in my half-open shoes and literally getting soaked to the skin.

Oh, my poor shoes! I thought they'd be ruined, but stuffing them with newspaper and putting them out to dry seems to have done the trick, as they survived unscathed.



It continued raining on and off all through the evening and night, but mercifully the sun was out to greet us on Thursday morning. 

The garden was a soggy mess, but nothing seemed to have drowned. Even our Oriental poppy  survived the watery onslaught.

While Jos was doing the food shop and the sun was working her magic on the garden, evaporating the last of the raindrops, I tackled another one of those little jobs I never used to have time for.


These two small sets of IKEA drawers live on top of each other in our cramped little bathroom, offering room to a myriad of miscellaneous bathroom essentials. As I am in the habit to multiple buy any tried and tested cosmetics or other lotions and potions, some of the drawers were crammed to the limit.

That morning, when I went in search of a product I was sure I'd only seen the other day, one of the drawers got stuck and refused to budge in spite of my swearing. There was nothing for it but to give it a complete overhaul and reorganize its contents, ditching quite a few things which looked well past their sell by date. You wouldn't believe how many lipsticks I've come across!


I also cleaned all my brushes, which live in a small lilac painted tin bucket on top of the units, accompanied by our beloved Pear's Soap mirror.

By the time I'd finished, Jos was back with the groceries and, after helping him unpack and put everything away, he made Thursday's batch of soup.




Then, after lunch, it was time to finally plant up the new border. Digging the plant holes for the Clematis was even more back breaking than we'd envisioned, as there was a big chunk of old Holly root to be removed. There used to be not one but two huge Hollies here when we moved in. Having grown far too big for their boots and generally being a nuisance, we had them felled about ten years ago.

The rest of the planting was straightforward. Apart from Verbena rigida - a smaller cousin of Verbena bonariensis - we added sage, pink Coreopsis or tickseed, and a grassy plant with pink starry flowers called Rhodoxis 'Fairytale'.

The Clematis will have cream and lavender flowers respectively and, as they do like to have a cool root run, I provided some shade with shards of broken planters.


And this is what I wore that day, although I briefly changed into leggings and a t-shirt for the gardening work. No photos of these, obviously!

By pure coincidence, the blue, red and white dress I'm wearing is from the same label as Tuesday's. Again, it is fit and flare, with a row of tiny blue buttons at the bodice.

I accessorized it with a red and white beaded necklace and bangle, a red woven belt and a blue beaded bracelet. A pearly pink-hued brooch was pinned to the dress. 

The hat was primarily worn to hide my hair, which was in desperate need of a wash.


There were three more days left to complete that week, so I'll be returning with further adventures in a couple of days' time.

In the meantime, dear readers, so stay safe, sane and fabulous!



39 comments:

  1. In the last photo of you - looking fabulous naturally - it looks as if you're in the garden of a cafe...

    Loved your outfits and the shoes that survived the deluge were lovely and very stylish. Sorry to hear about your fall; but look out of something not so good you've got two lovely plant tables and a new crate. You didn't say what you were going to do with the crate btw...I'm so nosy, I know...

    Your new border sounds gorgeous and well done on digging up the holly; hard work I know.

    I think I probably have as many lipsticks as you - I'm always looking for the perfect red and so they pile up.

    Take care and stay fabulous!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vronni! We haven't quite decided what to use the crate for, but at € 5 it was too good to be left behind. And I'm glad I'm not the only one always looking for the perfect lipstick! xxx

      Delete
  2. Ooh, so much to cover here! I'm so glad your poppy is out - it's gorgeous! I'm a fan of poppies - their bold black and red colours are so glamourous.

    I was terrified that you'd slipped and hurt yourself, Ann! I'm so glad you are okay (I bet you have some scrapes and bruises). As someone who falls down, hits her head and generally walks into things frequently, I winced for you. However, I'm glad this spill led to your revitalization of that part of your garden! It looks lovely and clean and fresh there now.

    We've had very mixed weather here too, although not torrential rain like you had! I love the retail dresses (it's ironic that they so closely resemble vintage!), and I'm really happy your leather shoes survived the deluge.

    I love your make-up storage cupboards/drawers. How fun! We have really limited storage in our one bathroom, so I try to keep my make-up collection to a minimum. Funny in that I'm a maximalist in my clothes but not my make-up!

    Have a good rest of your week, my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a fan of poppies too, I'm always glad it's poppy season! I was okay, apart from one big bruise on my thigh which is only now starting to fade. I'm always walking into things too, especially at the office! I often have bruises I don't remember sustaining :-) xxx

      Delete
  3. Your poppy is beautiful! I am so glad you got to see it! So pretty!
    Your new plant table is a TRIUMPH! I love it! It looks so nice!
    I'd like to get something similar!
    Yesterday, I went for a walk and manage to find some lovely pots in a skip that someone was chucking out. I carried them home and hid them in a bush at the front of the house so I could sneak them in one by one so CBC wouldn't notice.
    There was also a MASSIVE terracotta pot which I contemplated but it was too heavy to carry as I was talking to my colleague on the phone. Today, I decided to go and get it but someone else had got there first! Luckily, instead, I found a smaller pot. It was a pity though as the other one was ENORMOUS!
    I have those Ikea drawers too. Mine have craft stuff in!
    Love that hat you wore with that pretty, last dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kezzie! I do think a lot of people have those IKEA drawers. Well done on carrying those pots home. I had to chuckle at the fact you needed to sneak them in ;-) xxx

      Delete
  4. Oh, sweet Ann, thank goodness that you were not seriously injured. Outdoor slips, falls and crashes have the potential for all manner of negative outcomes. I'm sure that was a properly unnerving and unpleasant thing to experience all the same and hope that nothing like that ever happens to you again, my friend.

    Many hugs & wishes for a sunny, terrific start of summer,
    Autumn Zenith 🧡 Witchcrafted Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Autumn, it was indeed quit unnerving. Nothing sustained but a huge bruise, though! xxx

      Delete
  5. Ohh you look gorgeous with hat Ann. Great opinion fir a bad hair day. My favorite style here in this post is the last. I love it completely from head to toe.
    Your garden is amazing, you both done a great job. 🌺🌸
    with a very huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Tina! That's what hats are for, surely ;-) xxx

      Delete
  6. You look fab as always Ann. I am glad you didn’t hurt yourself seriously. I feel over a while ago on my way to work, I didn’t think it wasn’t anything serious as it didn’t hurt. When I got to work, I checked my knee, my leggings were bloody and there was like a flap of skin hanging off my knee ! I just put a plaster on it and got on with it. Until my boss saw it. And made me go to the local clinic and get stitches! I didn’t think it was that bad. Ohh well you live and learn . I am really careful now walking near manhole covers !! The garden looks fab

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Allie Jane. Ouch about your knee though. I'm surprised it didn't hurt, must have been the shock! xxx

      Delete
  7. my goodness - that had could ended in a broken limb! i´m glad that not!
    love brown and turquois together - and your new plant table, recycled wood adding on the plus side :-)
    i have some of that ikea boxes too - but for sewing supplies...... for someone with very short hair you have a lot of brushes!!
    hugsies!! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad too, Beate! Well, we've learned from our mistake and made that scraper more secure. As we couldn't recycle anything we already owned, something made from recycled wood was the next best thing. I know about the brushes, and I don't even use half of them ... xxx

      Delete
  8. Goodness me, I'm glad you weren't hurt. Don't events like that really shake you?
    I absolutely love your new table. That's one thing I'm really enjoying about this new way of life, looking for stuff online and often finding the perfect solution rather than trawling secondhand shops and invariably spending far more money when clothes, accessories, books and ornaments catch our eye.
    Both of your dresses look lovely, loving the vibrancy of the red, white and blue.
    Our Oriental poppies are all over now, I spent a good while yesterday stripping back the leaves and just leaving the seed heads in place to dry out, I'm eagerly awaiting the crocosmia and agapanthus now!
    You're the opposite to me, I only ever buy one thing at a time and invariably run out at a crucial moment or the blessed thing gets discontinued, Jon always nags me to stock up!
    Loads of love! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt quite shaken indeed, even if I wasn't really hurt, from a big bruise and some stiff muscles, both of which I only found out about the next day. I'm always on the lookout for the perfect lipstick, then when I've found a good one, I go back to the shop and buy multiples in case it gets discontinued. xxx

      Delete
  9. I loved seeing more of your gardening projects. I don't have much to show for myself, I got some succulents from granny and they are doing well. That's all I have place for as I don't think there are any gardening shops in the vicinity, I improvised pots from plastic yogurt cups and mason jars. Once I get back to Mostar (not sure when that will be), I plan to devout myself to turning our large balcony over there into a garden of sorts.

    So lovely you got to see that poppy. I'm a big fan of poppies. Their fiery red always catches the eye. I cannot see one without thinking of French impressionist painters, they sure loved painting them.

    Speaking of vibrant red, I love your blue and red dress. The red belt and the straw hat are perfect accessories for it. I also love the first dress you wore and am a bit surprised it isn't vintage. It does look a lot like the vintage dresses you wear, you could have fulled me. Have a nice day ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivana! I do hope you can get back to Mostar soon and created an oasis on your balcony. My friend who recently visited was inspired by my garden to transform her balcony into a tiny garden! xxx

      Delete
  10. Firstly, I'm glad that you didn't suffer injuries!. Also glad that you got a silver lining of this accident and improved your plants accommodation. The new table looks really cute and tidy and love all the colorful flowers!. I'm making the most of my balcony, but my recently purchased carnations are now infested by a plague!, so annoying!.
    Lovely turquoise and brown dress, and so fab accessorizing!. Also lovely red, white and blue ensemble, such a fabulous color combo (one of my favourite ones!) and lovely tulips print!, and your hat is so cute!. You know I enjoy your talent for delightfully matchy ensembles!, so brilliant!
    Sorry that you got soaked, the weather has been so unpredictable, lots of storms, humidity and heat, which means that picking the right shoes is impossible!, at least yours weren't ruined!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica! Isn't it horrible when plants are infested by a plague? We had to get rid of one of our Dahlias as something was attacking its leaves. The weather continues to be up and down here, as our mini heatwave was followed by days of rain! xxx

      Delete
  11. That last outfit is so pretty, Ann! So bright and cheerful. Your garden is looking amazing! Does Miss Phoebe approve?!;) I agree that taking pleasure in the little things is the way to go at the moment. I've been trying to do the same to stay grateful, hopeful and sane!! Hope you have a wonderful weekend, Ann! Sending lots of hugs my friend XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sasha! Phoebe does approve although she first has to inspect every plant we introduce! xxx

      Delete
  12. I'm so glad you didn't hurt yourself, it really shakes when you have a near miss doesn't it.
    The recycled plant tables are perfect for the job and they show off your plants beautifully and even give you some storage space beneath.
    I've never heard of 'Wow to go', the dress you're wearing by them is great, it looks genuinely vintage too!
    Have a lovely weekend. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sally! It's indeed a plus that there's storage space beneath the tables. I'm afraid "Wow To Go" no longer exists, but they had the loveliest stuff. Not cheap though. xxx

      Delete
  13. Hello Ann. Oh my, as I was reading, I was fearing the worst - that you'd injured yourself. Thankfully you weren't seriously hurt. These things can happen so quickly and be so fatal. I slipped a few weeks ago, so I know how painful it can be. I was limping for days after.

    Your garden is coming up trumps with the latest additions. Those new display benches are fantastic for all those lovely plants. The poppy is magnificent - what a vibrant colour! Such a shame their beauty is so fleeting! I must try to grow some.

    Both dresses are delightful. The first one does have that vintage air about it. The red, white and blue dress donned with perfect accessories is fabulous.

    Now I must go off and clear out my lipstick drawer too ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised I only sustained some strained muscles and a big bruise on my thigh. That could have been so much worse, I know. I do hope there will be more poppies than just the one next year. xxx

      Delete
  14. I’ve uttered a few oh no’s while reading your post. I’m glad you and the plants didn’t come a cropper.
    I do like your opening paragraph and if I may I’m going to write it in my journal.
    As always you are dressed exquisitely and look fabulous alongside the flowers in your lovely garden.
    Lots of love xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynn, and you're very welcoming to write my opening paragraph in your journal. I always try to show a little bit of what's in my heart at the start of my posts. xxx

      Delete
  15. So sorry about your fall but it's good you weren't injured, and the change it made you make to your garden is quite lovely! I like your new plant table, and it's good your shoes survived the rain too! Sounds more like our summer - hot and humid in the day and big thunderstorms with a lot of rain in the afternoon and evenings

    Hope that you are having a lovely weekend :)

    Away From Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mica! Our Summers are usually all over the place, too hot one day and too cold and wet the next! xxx

      Delete
  16. Beautiful flowers! I'm loving both your dresses! And that yellow polka dotted top!

    Life is a Shoe

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Ann, your opening paragraph really resonated with me. I too am trying to not ponder on what I am missing out on and trying to live by the day, in the now. The little things have given me enormous pleasure, recent examples include: my Peace Lily flowering for the first time, my Aloe Vera not dying and now a shoot has sprouted with what looks to be a flower on the end(my previous Aloes have all died) and watching a little bird have a bath in my recently relocated bird bath. Moment of pure joy. Sorry about your 'accident' but you did get a new plant table - which I love. Your garden looks delightful. Keep smiling 😊 Carole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carole! I do my best to keep smiling and I usually succeed, although some days it's hard slog to do so. How wonderful that your Aloe Vera is producing what might very well be a flower. And is there anything more joyful that watching birds and their antics? xxx

      Delete
  18. I love the last dress, very nautical! I'm glad to hear your shoes survived the downpour. Your garden is looking lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The poppy is a beauty, I’m glad that you got to enjoy it.

    I’m glad you didn’t sustain serious injury, but it is nice that the incident led to such a nice purchase. Your new tables look really lovely.

    I do like your Miz Mooz sandals, and the Wow To Go dresses are near perfection, they’re both a really lovely shape. And I spy that green bag you purchased recently? That’s lovely and bigger than I thought - perfect for work.

    I’m so glad your blue shoes survived the drenching, they’re really pretty.

    I seem to hoard make up, a few years ago I got rid of almost all of my lipsticks, I had about 14, and yet I never wear lipstick. Figure that one out! It must’ve felt really good to get your IKEA drawers sorted, I love getting stuff organised and neat and tidy.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hazel! Well done on spying that green bag. It's indeed quite big with lots of space. Not many of my vintage handbags can be used as work bags, as most of them just don't have enough space to carry all my things, which now include hand sanitizer and a face mask! xxx

      Delete
  20. I'm glad you weren't injured by the boot scraper incident!

    It's good to go through stuff like makeup, isn't it? One of the good things about lockdown is it's given me a chance to work through all the body scrubs and lotions people have given me over the years.

    ReplyDelete