Thursday 10 August 2023

Summer in the city

Once again I'm rudely interrupting my travelogue's gentle flow for a news flash on what else has been happening in my life. In hindsight, the month of July has been a bit of a muddle and if it weren't for the daily scribbles in my journal I would have been at a loss as to how I spent my days.

But first of all, I've got a bone to pick with the weather gods for sending us such a mixed bag of generally under par weather, not to mention the highest number of rainy July days in 35 years!

From the hot and humid temperatures in the month's second weekend, they took a tumble to a much cooler 23°C after overnight rain on Wednesday the 12th of July.



Apart from the fact that I had an appointment with Michel, my hairdresser, during lunch break, there's nothing much to tell you about this run-of-the-mill office day, but at least I can show you what I was wearing! 

My chambray skirt, picked up from a Shropshire charity shop in June 2022, was accompanied by another charity shop find, a crepey King Louie blouse with irregular shaped blue, green, red and black dots and a dainty tie neck. A search on my blog revealed I paid € 5 for it, but not where or when, so let's keep it at back in the mists of time!



Except for my green glass ring, my accessories were all retail buys, including the cute squirrel brooch, which I bought from a small independent shop in Antwerp. I was originally wearing a necklace as well, but I'd removed it at the hairdresser's and had forgotten to put it back on.




My way back to the office took me through a small shopping mall, where I promptly fell head over heels for these yellow suede tasseled sandals in an outlet shop. They were mine for € 24, but due to the deteriorating weather they're still awaiting their first outing.




A mix of clouds and sunny spells was our lot on Thursday, when the temperature dropped another degree, to 22°C. For good measure, we were treated to a shower the mere minute I was back in the office after lunch break.

It was super quiet at work, in every possible sense. Not only was work the slowest it had been in months, I was on my own as my colleague was on holiday and would be for the next three weeks. Even the eternal drilling noise emanating from the Art Deco skyscraper under renovation across the road had quietened down due to the building trade's annual leave. Not that I minded that very much!



On top of its swirls of orange flowers on a neutral brown-ish background, it was its generous dagger collar which seduced me when I spotted the dress on Think Twice's rails a couple of years ago. 

Shades of blue were added with my brooch and belt, while I picked a brown glass ring from my Better Maid party dish which houses them. I started out wearing a matching brown necklace but its closing mechanism had caused a rash in my neck, so it's currently residing in the naughty corner!

I couldn't help but notice how well the Crocosmia flowers in our garden matched the dress's pattern!



Speaking of the garden, the weather hasn't exactly been conductive to do much in it apart from watering the plants under the awning. Everything else has had to fend for itself, with varying degrees of success.

The Clematis climbing the wall near the end of the garden path is entertaining us with the most fantastic seed heads, while in the passageway there's an abundance of fluffy pink featherlike Astilbe and purple Salvia flower spikes.



Once again the sun had to share its limelight with a layer of clouds on Friday, when the temperature shifted a gear and climbed to a delicious 26°C.

It was another quiet day at the office, so I played hooky by taking a longer than usual lunch break and having coffee at the new Think Twice coffee shop with my friend Inez.

My dress of choice was my beloved deckchair striped linen blend dress, which was a € 3 Think Twice bargain in August 2021. Its companions were a yellow charity shopped ring and necklace and a suede belt by Belgian label CKS found in a pop-up outlet shop back in October.



The plastic elephant brooch was treasure hunted in a posh vintage shop while on a day trip to Middelburg last Summer.

My tomato red sales bargain sandals came out to play again, their colour matching red-tipped Salvia 'Hot Lips' almost exactly! 

Saturday was mostly taken up with flea market preparations such as pricing and labeling my rail of clothes and making a selection of jewellery and other items considered worthy of selling.

Meanwhile, we kept one eye on the weather forecast, hoping that the weather gods would be kind to us on Sunday.



After being led to believe all week that it would be a cloudy but dry and warm-ish day, we were dismayed to see that a couple of likely showers had suddenly appeared on the horizon.

Thinking on our feet, we quickly fashioned a plastic cover-up for our clothing rail from a pair of redundant vacuum bags, so that we were prepared for any sudden downpours.

When we reluctantly dragged ourselves out of bed at 6.15 on Sunday morning, our street was already a hive of activity. However, the advantage of being able to set up one's pitch right outside one's front door is that there was no need to rush, so we took our time getting ready and having breakfast before putting up our stall about one hour later.



I sold my first dress quite early on, to someone who didn’t bat an eyelid at its € 10 price tag. If that sounds ridiculously cheap - which I fully admit it is - you wouldn't believe the amount of haggling which usually precedes a sale. People seem to expect you to give things away virtually for free ...

The day's forecasted highs of 23°C were tempered by a blustery wind and a distinct lack of sunshine, so that I never took off the cardigan and denim jacket I'd layered over my recently acquired Virginie maxi frock.

We might have been prepared for any showers - which eventually arrived in the afternoon - but we hadn't bargained for the blustery wind, which toppled our rail of clothes on more than one occasion.




Although we didn't exactly make a fortune, we sold several pairs of Jos's hardly worn non-Clarks shoes, some of our Lourdes memorabilia, miscellaneous stuff which had been cluttering up our basement and, evidently in the wake of the Barbie movie hype, quite a few of my vintage Barbie clothing set doubles. 

Oh, and I sold some of my clothes as well, although not as many as I would have liked. I lost count of the times I was told how fabulous they were but that they didn't have the guts to wear so much colour, or that I should be selling these at vintage markets rather than fleas. Well, perhaps I'll do that one day when I'm retired and have more time on my hands.

Anyway, we closed shop at about 4 pm when the crowds were starting to thin out. And about time too as we were tired on our feet and crashed on the sofa once we'd lugged everything back inside.




I continued feeling a bit out of sorts and slightly light-headed in the week that followed, which I initially put down to tiredness caused by the rather full-on and much too short weekend. 

Things turned out to be a bit more complicated than that, though. I'm trying to limit my moaning to the bare minimum and keep my blog the happy place it always was, but suffice to say that it involves the problem I'm having with my left eye and the increasing level of stress this inevitably causes.



But there's always solace to be found in the bounty provided by nature, so I'm taking you along on my lunch break walk to Antwerp's Botanic Garden on the Tuesday of that week.

On a gorgeously sunny day such as this, most of the benches were occupied by people spending their lunch break in this small but perfectly formed green haven smack dab in the middle of the busy city. At this time of year, they were joined by the handful of tourists who had made the effort to seek out this hidden gem.



Still, I was lucky enough to find a bench in the shade from which to watch the world go by and take in the sights, sounds and scents of the garden at the height of Summer.

Bees were buzzing around a patch of Globe Thistle (Echinops) and the resident koi fish were rippling the surface of the pond.



My particular favourite of the flowers in bloom were the striking, vibrant purple, trumpet shaped ones belonging to Morning Glory (Ipomoea purpurea).

The exotic white and orange floral pattern on this midnight blue dress never fails to cheer me up either. Another Think Twice bargain, it followed me home in July 2019.



Apart from the orange beaded necklace from a Welsh antiques centre, I kept to neutral shades for my accessories. These included a stretchy belt with hexagonal faux tortoiseshell buckle and my super comfy rose gold Gabor sandals, both of which were retail buys.

Flitting among the flowers is the enamelled butterfly brooch which was a flea market find in 2017.





And that, my friends, is all I've got time for today.

I can't wait to take another trip in the time machine and immerse myself in the penultimate episode of my travelogue. 

Will you join me again in a couple of days?



56 comments:

  1. Goodness!! It's rare that I can't spot my favorite outfit immediately BUT!!! Lol.. You got me this time! I love them ALL! Can't make up my mind! lolol...so I surrender!
    How wonderful that you can set up shop at your front door! Fun!
    And I'm sorry your eye is bothering you!! Maybe some eye drops?
    Have a super weekend my friend!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna! I've been described eye drops but they'll only keep the situation under control, and sadly not improve it. Feeling much better at the moment, though! xxx

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear that you are having eye problems. The botanical gardens in Antwerp are a joy to behold. Beautiful flowers. Hope that you are feeling much better very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your outfits are a canvas for self-expression.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The weather has been all over the place hasn't it? We're currently sweltering in the humid mid twenties, but storms and a distinct drop in temperature are forecast again for the coming days. You're absolutely right. The gardens have pretty much had to fend for themselves. Yours is looking pretty robust though!
    At least you've had a little respite at work and good to hear you enjoyed a slightly more leisurely lunch break.
    How fantastic that you can just roll out of bed and set up shop in the bustling street outside your cottage. You would certainly have inspired the punters in that gorgeous maxi dress. Such a shame that those lovely yellow sandals haven't had an outing yet. Hopefully soon?
    I really hope you're feeling a bit better and that your eye issue will settle down soon. Big hug! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire! The flea market was a success but it was very tiring. I've no idea how Vix does it for days on end ... Oh, and the yellow sandals finally had their first outing recently! xxx

      Delete
  5. I hope you shared our weather yesterday and were able to give those fab sandals their first outing. This has been the worst UK summer for over 100 years - it's official!
    Your rails looked tantalising. Those "not brave enough" comments used to drive me daft (I got it a lot at vintage fairs, too - a lot of people only go to eat homemade cakes and listen to Elvis tributes and would rather shop at Primark!) I'm glad your Barbie duplicates found new owners and Jos was able to shift a few of his unwanted Clarks' shoes.
    The Botanic garden looks like a fabulous place for a stress free stroll and all your outfits look amazing especially that fantabulous patchwork maxi dress. I'm sorry to hear of your eye woes, I hope things get sorted soon. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Summer hasn't been all that here in Belgium either and in fact both July and August haven't felt like Summer at all. I was kind of expecting those "not brave enough" comments. And what to think of people telling you the clothes are fabulous but too colourful for them? xxx

      Delete
  6. So lovely outfits, despite the weather has not collaborated!. Sorry that the weather is so unseasonably rainy and cold, we're having the opposite problem, a f*ck%n' Heatwave!
    Love your crepey blouse with the squirrel brooch, love your striped linen dress (such delightful yellow accessorizing!) and that patchwork maxi is a beauty!, you rock it!
    That new yellow sandals are really fantastic!, and they look comfy too, so doubled fabulousness.
    Your stall looks really appealing to me, the colours and interesting things, that rail of dresses!. I can't understand those 'not brave enough' comments (totally agree with Vix): it's not like fighting a war!, they're only clothes!. I've had some backhanded compliments like these, people telling me about my bravery to wear colours (I totally agree with them and smile! ;DD)
    Hope your left eye problems don't bother you anymore!. Poor you, that's is stressful!
    Love the Botanical Gardens, such a happy place to have a walk in the middle of the city. Lovely pics!.
    And your last dress is really a joy for the eye, that print is gorgeous!.
    Besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry, Blogger ate my login!. But probably you've realised it's me, Monica!

      Delete
    2. The "besos" gave you away, Monica :-)
      Those "not brave enough" comments are truly exasperating ... we must be real warriors to wear so much colour :-) xxx

      Delete
  7. Beautiful outfits, all of them. I love the first look with the skirt and the blouse. The last look is my favourite, though. The white floral print on that dress is utterly gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivana! That final dress never fails to cheer me up! xxx

      Delete
  8. Sorry to read you're under the weather, I hope that gets sorted out. Having a stall directly outside your house sounds perfect, but I know what you mean when you say folk kinda expect you to give things away. I hope you made a few pennies to spend on nice things. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jean! We did make a few pennies indeed and obviously they were spent on nice things already! xxx

      Delete
  9. my best health wishes for your eye - i feel with you!
    the fringy sandals are great fun - and would go perfectly with the 2. dress which is a real stunner........ its great that you sold a good bunch of items at the flea despite the nasty weather - i recognized that mostly the very young and hip big city folks do wear vintage, at least here in germany.
    the botanical garden is an extremely beautiful spot - love the bassin!
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beate! Apparently there aren't many young and hip people living locally :-) xxx

      Delete
  10. It's lovely that you could sell some items at the flea market despite the bad weather. This means space for new finds ...

    I love your yellow sandals. Hopefully the weather to wear them has arrived.

    Sorry to hear about your eye.

    Have a nice weekend!

    Regula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Regula! The yellow sandals have finally been worn, and very comfortable they are too! xxx

      Delete
  11. I love the suede tasselled sandals - gorgeous!
    I'm sorry you're still having problems with your left eye. I hope you can get it sorted - that sort of thing is incredibly tiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janice! Although my eye problem cannot be solved completely, I'm feeling a bit better now! xxx

      Delete
  12. I cannot get over how beautiful that squirrel brooch is. What a fabulous piece! You have the most incredible accessories. Those yellow suede tasseled sandals are amazing as well. Wow! Such a great price as well. I'm glad that work has been quiet. Sometimes, that is exactly what you need! Ahh, I love that elephant brooch as well. So stunning. Oh wow...people haggle when prices are reasonable? I could never imagine doing that! You must have a lot of patience.

    the creation of beauty is art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shannon! I'm not sure I've got a lot of patience, though. If people are impossible I'm afraid I can't always stay friendly :-) xxx

      Delete
  13. At least your flowers are loving all the rain!!

    That is so cool that you can sell things outside your door and that the whole street does so. We don't have that here in Melbourne although we do have garage sales. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jess! I think our street market is similar to garage sales. But only a handful of people do have garages in our street ... xxx

      Delete
  14. How nice it is to be able to sell your stuff in your own street! Even if I want to have a garage sale, I need to apply for a permit! Sorry to hear about your eye problem. Those yellow sandals are fantastic! Enjoy your weekend and hopefully it will be dry!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy! This flea market is being organized by a sports club, who takes care of permits, Etc. They've been organizing it for years, and it gets bigger and bigger every year! xxx

      Delete
  15. I'm sorry to hear of your continuing eye problems, they can really get you down when there are health issues that keep pervading.
    I am glad you sold SOME stuff, it not as much as you would like! I do love your outfits, particularly the first one!
    The new yellow sandals are really beautiful! I hope you get to wear them!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for you kind words, Kezzie. The ongoing problems with my eye really got me down in the dumps! As for the flea market, that dress you asked me about on Instagram did not sell! I'll keep it for you if you like! xxx

      Delete
  16. I always wish that we could attend your street sale, I think it’s such a fun event. Perhaps I could start a trend here. Only thing is we get more horses, sheep and deer passing our house than people haha xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if the horses, sheep and deer buy your stuff, that shouldn't be a problem, haha xxx

      Delete
  17. This summer the weather has been so strange, autumn seems to have come early. It's a shame you didn't sell as much as you had hoped. I'm so sorry to hear about your eye problems, I hope it is something that can be treated. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gisela! Unfortunately it seems I've got glaucoma. However, it is being stopped in its tracks! xxx

      Delete
  18. Love the blue kettle.. I am on the hunt for a cute vintage kettle.
    The weather makes no sense.. it's either too humid to go out or raining..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hena! That blue kettle is only a tiny one and not in the best of conditions. I hope your find what you're looking for soon! xxx

      Delete
  19. Sorry to hear about your eye problem, I do hope it is sorted for you soon. Glad you managed to sell a few things at your street sale , what a wonderful idea.
    Wonderful outfits , one and all and I did like those saffron yellow sandals, hope the weather co-operates and they have an outing soon.
    Thank you for a peek at the botanical gardens , they look wonderful. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jill! Although my eye problem isn't something which can be sorted, it can be halted in its tracks, which at least is something! xxx

      Delete
  20. Isn't it a shame that people don't have the courage to wear color? I love all of your outfits Ann, but especially the flea market outfit
    with a huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
  21. The dress which matches the crocosmia flower in its print is totally fabulous. I loved all your outfits and the brooches were spiffing; the squirrel, the elephant and the lovely copper and turquoise one. Fab sandals and I loved your newly purchased sandals, too. Hope the weather allows you to wear them soon.

    I hope your eye problem is resolved soon.

    I think your street flea market equates to our 'street jumble'. We only have them about once a year though, but of course there are car boot sales on Sunday for much of the year. Most are too early in the morning for me or too far. Glad you managed to sell some of your stuff even if it wasn't as much as you'd like.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Veronica! We only have the street market here once a year as well. We don't have car boot sales, though, but we do have some flea markets held on playing fields and the like over Summer ...xxx

      Delete
  22. I'm so sorry to hear of your eye trouble, Ann - sending good vibes!

    Sounds like your sale did well - I've never done a garage sale since I was a child (which is when I sold all my Barbies). People should just skip that self-censure and wear clothes that make them happy.

    I'm admiring your elephant brooch and the butterfly one in the last outfit (love that dress). Your garden is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila, and good vibes well received! xxx

      Delete
  23. There’s no escaping fashion. It’s everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The mustard yellow suede sandals are very pretty.
    I hope you manage to wear them soon. If you already haven't, that is. I don't remember seeing them. As always, I love your outfits! That's a lovely striped dress. I also love the flower pattern flock.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Nice outfit! you look young on it

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am glad you sold SOME stuff, it not as much as you would like! I do love your outfits, particularly the first one!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fab sandals and I loved your newly purchased sandals, too.

    ReplyDelete