Sunday 30 July 2023

July never seemed so strange

While I've still got a couple of installments of this year's Shropshire travelogue up my sleeve. I felt it was time for another break and a catch-up on what the month of July had in store. After all, we've almost reached the end of the month by now, and I've got a backlog of photos reaching all the way back to its first week. It's been a strange month for me, to say the least, filled with lots of work - some of which involved the pleasurable yet exhausting task of preparing for and participating in this year's flea market - and little play. 

Apart from that, the weekends have been either too hot or too wet to go for any walks, so that unfortunately I can't share any adventures in that direction with you!



Luckily, I've been wearing clothes, and we've even made the effort to photograph some of my lovingly created outfits. For a start, there are no less than five of them for you to enjoy in this post ...

Initially, grey skies, a blustery wind and the odd shower were our lot in the first week of July, with the mercury not climbing higher than the low 20s. Thursday promised to be another one of those days, but eventually 24°C was reached, which made it a tiny bit too warm for the vintage Diolen dress I'd selected from my wardrobe that morning. The nylons I'd started the day with were therefore soon removed to prevent overheating!



The dress was an old Think Twice find, of course. I just love its cheerful blue and yellow pattern, its notched collar and its neat tie bow! 

The belt used to be my Mum's, while both the white early plastic moulded flower brooch and the yellow perspex ring were flea market finds. My yellow beaded necklace came from Belgian haberdashery and accessories chain Veritas.



Speaking of the latter, I'd been swooning over the orange necklace on the top left for months but, cheapskate that I am, I simply couldn't justify its € 24,99 price tag. As the week marked the start of the Summer sales here in Belgium, I thought I'd nip into the shop to see if it had been reduced. I'd told myself I'd be happy with 50% off, so when I saw its sales price of € 4 I couldn't be happier. What's more, I bought the necklace on the bottom right, the bangles and the suede belts with a hefty reduction as well. 



By Friday, the temperature was on its way to 30°C. I counted my lucky stars that I was able to take the day off before my colleague's three-week holiday would put a temporary stop to all that.

In spite of the high temperatures, I was determined to tick a couple of domestic tasks off the list so, helped by Jos, I made a start with deep cleaning the bathroom and kitchen and chasing away the colony of dust bunnies who had taken up residence there during our holiday.


Afterwards, I changed into this breezy skirt and top combo. The eagle-eyed might notice that I was already wearing one of my sales bargain necklaces!

The tiered cotton skirt was a sales bargain too, picked up in C&A last Summer. The top is charity shopped King Louie. In fact, apart from the stretchy belt - a naughty retail buy - the rest of my accessories, and even my red and orange sandals, were charity shopped as well.



The garden, meanwhile, is well on its way to becoming an impenetrable jungle, but at least the Hydrangeas were still looking as fresh as the proverbial daisy that weekend.



The low 30s were easily reached on Saturday, the perfect weather for something sleeveless and breezy.

My vintage cotton piqué dress with its moulded flower buttons was a € 2 flea market find back in April 2018. Sadly, it turned out to be a bit roomy for me, so it was gathering dust until, many months later, I had the brainwave of using my limited sewing skills and move the already asymmetrically closing buttons a bit.



When Jos saw my outfit, he thought the belt belonged to the dress, but it doesn't: it just happens to be a perfect match. The pink butterfly brooch and plastic ring were both found on the high street, while the beaded necklace came from a long-gone vintage shop. The black sandals were € 4 Clarks from a charity shop many years ago. 

The moth must have been wooing my butterfly brooch, as it kept looking in through the kitchen window, where it obligingly posed for me.




Most of the day was taken up with dragging boxes full of clothes from the back of the built-in cupboard in our bedroom, going through them with a fine comb and selecting items to sell at my flea market stall. After giving some of the lucky few a quick once-over with the iron, here's my carefully curated rail of dresses, skirts and blouses. 

These, by the way, were all snapped up at charity shops or in the Think Twice sales and the majority has spent at least some time in my wardrobe before falling out of favour.




There was a slight drop in temperature on Sunday, but in spite of the sun's absence, it was still warm and humid at 27°C, which culminated in a thunderstorm in the afternoon.

Again, cotton to the rescue with this button through polka dot skirt and patterned sleeveless top, both of which were charity shop finds. The top with its black ribbon trim followed me home from Shrewsbury in 2019.




Apart from my turquoise chunky plastic ring, everything was found second-hand. The brooch was part of a haul from a Carmarthen antiques shop in 2017.

My journal insists that I did some more flea market prep, washed my hair and finished writing a blog post. I also finished by latest read, Lucinda Riley's The Angel Tree which, to be honest, I wasn't completely enamoured with.

That reminds me that I haven't shared the books I've been reading in a long time, so here's a little round-up. 

Although no easy reads, both William Boyd's Sweet Caress and John Boyne's The Heart's Invisible Furies were pretty memorable.





Jonathan Coe's Middle England was my holiday read. 

I'd just finished the John Boyne and was looking at some likely candidates to take with me. As I was idly paging through the book, the names of the Shropshire towns of Bridgnorth, Much Wenlock and Shrewsbury leapt out at me, which instantly cinched the deal. 

It's the third novel in a trilogy, following The Rotters' Club (2001) and The Closed Circle (2004), both of which I have read and loved. Published in 2018, it has been heralded as a "Brexit comedy": the novel explores the experiences of the characters from the earlier novels against the backdrop of the major events taking place before, during and after the Brexit referendum. An interesting read but definitely not his best in my opinion. That said, I wasn't too keen of its predecessor, Number 11 (2015) either.



Moving swiftly into the month's second week now, which started with a continuation of the weekend's high temperatures.

My colleague was on holiday now, so that I was once again on my own. On top of that, Jos and I had decided that, although he would still be driving me into Antwerp in the morning, I would be taking the tram part of the way home. Well, what can I say but that we'd picked the wrong moment and that the tram to my particular destination wasn't running on Monday. As a result, I arrived home late and terribly sweaty in spite of my sleeveless cotton frock.




The cotton shirt dress with its funky floral pattern was a Think Twice sales bargain back in June 2017. Apart from its obvious attraction, there was a label announcing the fact that its previous owner was an Ann(e) too, so of course it had to come home with me!

It's one of my favourite Summer frocks and, looking back at its previous outings, it seems I always wear it with the same orange and pink accessories. 



In order not to bore you to death, I'll be sharing more of that week's outfits with you in a later post.

However, I couldn't possible not show you my latest lunch break finds. The green squiggly striped Rayon one and the white Diolen one with its mixed floral and geometrical pattern were found at two different Think Twice shops on two consecutive days.




Melting Pot, a vintage-per-kilo shop, is always worth a visit even if I often come away empty-handed. No such thing that day, as I instantly pounced on the groovy floral maxi dress by the French Virginie label. You'll be seeing me wear this one very soon!



But for now, it's goodbye from me ... and goodbye from her! After six months, Bess has discovered the little hidey-hole at the bottom of her beloved scratch post. Just look at that cheeky face!



35 comments:

  1. I love the two green dresses, so gorgeous.
    Nice to get a bargain necklace! The necklaces I bought in a department store and paid full price for are my least fave necklaces. My charity shop finds are my regular choices, I should remember that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carole! I can't remember buying new/full price necklaces ever! xxx

      Delete
  2. You have such a lovely collection of frock. You must have a fabulous wardrobe. Both green ones are gorgeous. It’s so hard to dress for the current weather, it doesn’t know what it wants to do xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Louise! Sometimes I feel my wardrobe is getting out of hand ... but does that stop me from buying more? I think you know the answer to that :) xxx

      Delete
  3. is it fleamarket time again!
    hot it was in the july!! but you have some pretty tropical wear in your closet! love the big flowerprints and bright colours.
    its a hydrangea year i think - yours has a gorgeous colour!
    hugsies! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's that time of year again indeed! We did have some hot days too, but not on the day of the flea market. It was so windy our rail toppled over a number of times! xxx

      Delete
  4. A lovely fashion parade once more, I'm looking forward to seeing you in the maxi dress.
    Bess looks so sweet in her den.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved wearing that maxi dress when I was in charge of my flea market stall :-) xxx

      Delete
  5. So many lovely outfits. Brighten up the gray wet days.. ours have been oppressively hot and humid as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hena! We've really had the most changeable weather this Summer! xxx

      Delete
  6. wow, so lovely post!. Glad you've been wearing clothes ;DD and such fabulous ones!.
    That Diolen dress is really a beauty, the beautiful print and colours are a joy for my eyes!.
    Lovely to see that you made the most of sales, as those necklaces and bangles are great pieces!. Well done!.
    Love your floral and comfy outfits, so colourful and beautifully accessorized, so stylish. My favourite ones are the dresses!, that piqué dress with its asymmetrical buttons and the funky shirt dress (totally understand it's one of your favourite dresses).
    And so lovely dresses you've found!, looking forward to see them in action!.
    Bess is looking really cute in that photo!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
  7. The weather here hasn't picked up at all since you left Ann...so much rain! Still, thank you for cheering us up with your carefully considered and colourful outfits.
    All good things come to those who wait - glad you managed to make the necklace yours and those belts will come in very handy.
    I'm hoping your recent lunch break finds made up for the tram debacle. The French maxi dress is a stunner! Bess clearly approves! xxx
    P.S. I loved The Heart's Invisible Furies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire, and I'm sorry we left such horrible weather in our wake :-) Hopefully it has improved somewhat by now. Oh, and I loved The Heart's Invisible Furies too. Definitely in my top 3 of books read so far this year! xxx

      Delete
  8. Haha...Bess! Like humans, they float through life sometimes!
    LOVE the first dress!! You are beautiful in it! SO classy...
    Can't wait to see you in the Virginie from Paris!
    Happy week, sweet lady!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your lovely comments, Donna! You are one sweet lady too! xxx

      Delete
  9. You almost blend in with your passage way furniture, almost Ann, not totally. You will always stand out! How nice that there is a opportunity to sell your clothes that way. It must be cozy too. Love the new accessories, especially the bangles. I just finished reading Vogeleiland by Marion Pauw. What a fascinating book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, of course I can't let the passageway furniture get the better of me :-) xxx

      Delete
  10. How lucky that simply moving the buttons made your beautiful dress wearable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I'd been thinking on how to make the dress fit, and in the end it was as simple as moving the buttons! xxx

      Delete
  11. Bess is so cute in her little hidey-pod! That face!

    Ooh, I just love a multi-outfit post, thank you! My favourite things here are: the first dress (great pattern), that lovely flounced skirt (very much like my JCDC jumpsuit worn last week), that fantastic green/pink cotton dress (LOVE), and your new maxi dress.

    Wow, you have a great rail of stuff for sale! I'd be all over that! I hope you sold it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila! Unfortunately I haven't sold it all. Some people really have no eye or taste! xxx

      Delete
  12. It sounds like things have been very busy for you, but I'm glad there were some fun moments sprinkled in with all of that work. I love that first dress so much. The colours are gorgeous on you! How amazing that you were able to get that amazing orange necklace for such a great price. Patience paid off! Wow, that green dress with the floral buttons is such an incredible piece. The details are just so beautiful. That sleeveless floral dress just makes me so happy as well. I adore it!

    the creation of beauty is art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shannon! There was no way I was going to pay € 25 for that necklace, but never expected it to be reduced that much! xxx

      Delete
  13. As I sit here it is cool and pouring with rain so it was just wonderful to see a selection of your colourful Summer dresses and accessories. I hope you have great success with your sale, lucky customers indeed.
    Bess is such a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always hard to get one's head around the fact that it's a totally different season at the other side of the world, isn't it? xxx

      Delete
  14. Doesn't Bess look a picture in her cocoon?
    I hope the selling went well. Isn't it rewarding to rehome some old favourites with like-minded ladies?
    I love all your outfits, you're far more disciplined than me taking photos and having a stash to share. I can't remember the last time I stood still long enough for a clothes photo, I must do better! Love the green dress especially, it's got such a Orla Kielly vibe. The new maxi is fantastic.
    What a shame about the Jonathan Coe book. He's a local lad, I think. I loved The Rotter's Club.
    I'm envious of those hot days, it's vile here, I'm back in long sleeves and Jon's birthday tomorrow is forecast to reach the heady heights of 13°C. You and jos need to come back, the sun always shines when you're in the UK! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forget about being disciplined ... I haven't been a good blogger since this post ...
      I absolutely loved The Rotter's Club, which must be one of my all-time favourite books! xxx

      Delete
  15. Five beautiful outfits.
    The first two are my favourites!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your outfits are a celebration of individuality.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love it when cats go in those hidey holes! Your outfits are so summery and pretty!!! I do like them very much.
    Your new suede belts caught my eyes- niiiiiiiiiice!!!!xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bess has only been going into the hidey hold quite recently, while she's had the scratching post since January. Silly beast :-) xxx

      Delete