Friday 9 June 2023

It's the final countdown

The last two weeks have been a whirlwind of work and holiday prep. However, yesterday I waved goodbye to the office until the end of June, which means that I am officially on vacation. Yay!

Today, we finished the dreaded packing, and with our bags already stashed away into the boot of our car, there's no going back and I can only keep my fingers crossed that I made the right choices for my travelling capsule wardrobe!

Tomorrow we'll be getting up at the crack of dawn, so how about a little catch up before we go?




Right, let's start with Whit Monday, the 29th of May. 

Although it was mostly sunny, the mercury didn't quite reach Sunday's highs and got stuck at 18°C, while a hazy layer of cloud played hide and seek with the odd patches of blue sky.

I was wearing one of my Diolen delights, a sky blue dress scattered with orange, yellow and white flowers. The vintage daisy brooch I pinned to one of its lapels couldn't have been a better match.




My oldest raffia belt - a charity shop find many years ago - came out to play, as did the orange, yellow and white bubblegum necklace I picked up from a long gone vintage shop.

At my feet, the pale blue suede shoes which almost match my beloved Cloudsteppers for comfort.



After a morning of chores, which yet again included a bit of ironing, we were more than ready to go for a head clearing walk.

A short drive took us to Hof ter Linden in the neighbouring village of Edegem, where you have joined me quite a few times before. 

Although renovation of the Neoclassical manor house is rumoured to be imminent, there was still no sign of it. In fact, the poor thing was looking more dishevelled and crumbling than ever.



We gave it and the sphinxes and lions who are guarding its entrance a wide birth, skirting the domain and walking along the reed edged moat where the first of the yellow flag Irises were putting in an appearance.

We stopped for a photo next to a stone plinth, which we suspect once supported one of the sculptures illegally removed by the descendants of the castle's last occupant shortly before the domain was sold to the village authorities in March 2012. 



Handing over my camera to Jos, I misjudged and accidentally dropped it. Thankfully, it didn't fall from a great height - the advantages of being vertically challenged - and made a soft landing, sustaining nothing but a couple of superficial scratches, but its near demise had left me reeling so that I had to sit down on the nearest bench and recover.  



Feeling better after having ascertained my camera was still in working order, we continued our walk.

The path had by now veered away from the moat and meandered along and through wildflower meadows, until we reached the lake at the back of the mansion, which we circled until eventually we passed its courtyard. From here, it was only a short walk back to where we'd left our car.



We'd been charity shopping on Saturday, but apart from the haori I wore to get lost in on Sunday's wilderness walk, I still needed to show you my finds. 

The dove grey flower patterned maxi skirt feels like silk, but unfortunately has lost its contents label to confirm it. It's by Jackpot - a label which featured abundantly in my late 80s, early 90s wardrobe - and,  in spite of missing a whopping six of its ten buttons, I fell in love with it on the spot. I knew my button stash would come up trumps and it did, as the tiny grey shank buttons I used are hardly distinguishable from the remaining self-fabric ones!

There's no label whatsoever to identify the floral magenta blouse, but it followed me home nonetheless.

My final find that day was the cropped orange Zoë Loveborn cardigan with its black trim and buttons, which is part of my travelling capsule wardrobe!





Later that week, I also made a couple of purchases from Think Twice, who appeared to have started another one of their famous sales. On two consecutive days, I found the peach coloured, puff sleeved jumper and the vintage frock in dotty pinks and pale green.

Other lunch time activities included buying a travel hairdryer as I busted my old one back in September, and a visit to my hairdresser, Michel, for a colour and cut on Wednesday. He gave me a bit of a fright when he told me I was his last client before his retirement ... but then he said he would continue working a couple of mornings a week regardless. Phew! It would have been quite a thing having to change hairdressers after 28 years!

Meanwhile, the weather gods kept being on their best behaviour with lots of sunshine and temperatures ranging from 19 to 24°C.



Saturday dawned sunny and the mercury effortlessly reached the forecasted highs of 22°C.

Nevertheless, with a to-do list as long as my arm, our only outing was a walk into the village to run some errands.

The day's outfit was an effortless one as well, combining a black and white striped New Look skirt with a groovily patterned black, white, green and red vintage top, both of which were old charity shop finds. 



The stretchy black raffia belt with its round faux tortoiseshell buckle was a bargainous high street find a couple of weeks ago, while the green birds-in-flight brooch was a holiday souvenir from a shop in Cardigan. Beads, bracelet and ring were charity shop and flea market finds.

First time wearing sandals this year - they're my comfy old red Gabor ones - but I couldn't be bothered to paint my nails.



Our garden's pinks and purples are supplied by - clockwise from top left - a bowl of cheerful fuchsia Busy Lizzies, frothy Lobelias, a glorious Foxglove and the Petunia 'Purple Vein' in our hanging basket.

Meanwhile, the trailing Geraniums in their green enamelled cones have made friends with the purple and yellow Million Bells in the half basket on the potting shed wall.

 


Isn't the colour of that indigo Delphinium fabulous? They offer a lovely contrast to the delicate lavender blue Campanulas.

After a couple of nail-biting months, we were happy to finally spot the first of the lime green Hydrangea flower heads, which are expected to metamorphose into head-turning Wedgwood blue beauties soon.

Together with the hanging baskets, the strawberries are spending the two weeks of our holiday on Inneke's and Maurice's balcony. With the sunny and warm weather forecasted, they will soon ripen to juicy red berries for our friends to enjoy!




The weather gods cranked up the thermostat to 24°C on Sunday.

Yet again, the day was mostly spent ticking tasks off our list. These included setting up a rudimentary watering system which will hopefully keep our patio pots happy during our holiday. To this end, we grouped them all together in the shady passageway, well away from the wilting heat of the sun.



Sunday's dress was a King Louie by way of a charity shop. I added a modern dusky pink butterfly brooch to flit among the dress's exotic foliage. The pink translucent beaded necklace was charity shopped as well, while the navy belt with its white plastic buckle used to belong to my late Mum.



We had been anxiously waiting for the first of the scarlet Oriental Poppies to pop open and it finally happened on Sunday morning. By Monday, at least six of them had shrugged off their furry bonnets (thank you Vix!) so as soon as I got dressed I popped out into the garden before work to take some photos. 

The pops of red behind the white Foxglove on the top left aren't poppies, though, they're the flowers of Geum chiloense 'Mrs. Bradshaw'!

And you can see some of next door's building materials stacked against the garden wall on the bottom right ... 


So, that's it for now. Obviously, I couldn't leave without a photo of our beloved furry family member, the only and only Queen Bess!

We will miss her, that's for sure!



I'll be back with tales of adventures in a couple of weeks. See you on the other side!



44 comments:

  1. Have a fabulous holiday. Safe travelling.
    You are lucky, the weather has definitely improved and sunshine is back. Enjoy. Carole x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carole, we have definitely been lucky with the weather this time! xxx

      Delete
  2. Travel safely and have a lovely holiday. I hope the weather will continue to be fair and warm for you. x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janice, and the weather couldn't have been more perfect! xxx

      Delete
  3. Such lovely outfits. I found it hard to find a favourite but I loved the striped skirt and blouse combo, particularly. Your sandals looked fab and comfy and I haven't bothered to paint my nails either. Brilliant finds at the charity shops and how cleverly you've matched the buttons on that gorgeous skirt.

    Your garden is blooming well. We have lots of strawberry flowers but no strawberries...

    Have a safe journey and I hope our good weather continues for you .
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vronni! I'll definitely wear the skirt and blouse combo again! Oh, and we had lots of strawberries, but they were perfect for picking during our holiday, so our cat sitters enjoyed them instead of us! xxx

      Delete
  4. Have a wonderful time! There's a Kafe Fassett exhibition on at Powis Castle I envy you the chance of seeing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for alerting me to the Kaffe Fassett exhibition, Gisela! It was fabulous! xxx

      Delete
  5. Oh the King Louie dress is so pretty. But also of course the black and white skirt and the orange top and cardigan. I also never know what to pack for England. As you need clothes for all seasons. A hair dresser for 28 years! Wow, that must be a good one. I have mine now for 9 years and she is the first good one in my life! Lol. Have a unforgettable time in England!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy! I was really lucky finding that King Louie dress, as it was on a rail they'd just wheeled in :-) Have a fabulous time in Rye! xxx

      Delete
  6. This floral skirt is great and the wonderful blouse with it... a dream... well, and dresses always work...
    for England - rain jacket or bag with umbrella... and hat or headscarf, you know, like Elisabeth II.
    I wish you a wonderful holiday... and yes, it will be wonderful to see your photos later.
    Hug of Viola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Viola! Having been to England so many times, I know exactly what to pack, but it doesn't seem to make it easier :-) xxx

      Delete
  7. Wow, some fabulous outfits Ann. My favourite has to be the Diolen blue dress teamed with your denim jacket. It's such a gorgeous shade of blue and looks amazing on you!
    I also love your new to you silky maxi skirt.
    The oriental poppies are so dramatic aren't they? I've resorted to putting pots at the side of our house where sun is plentiful, just to see some colour!
    Beautiful Bess will miss you too I'm sure, although I also think cats quite enjoy having the house to themselves sometimes. :-D
    Safe travels and see you soon! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire! I've actually got that blue dress in mustard as well. I've still got to wear the silky maxi skirt though. Bess seemed to be over the moon to have us back, not sure she likes having the house to herself ... xxx

      Delete
  8. Hooray! So glad you are enjoying vacation. I can't wait to hear all about it! That sky blue dress is so beautiful. I just love all of the different flowers. The manor house is beautiful, but from the sounds of it, is very much in need of that renovation. I'm so glad the camera wasn't damaged (aside from a few scratches), but that sounds like such a stressful moment. I'm so glad the camera is still working! Ooh, I love that black and white striped skirt. It is a really great piece! Again, I look forward to hearing all about your adventures when you get back. Have so much fun!

    the creation of beauty is art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shannon! I've actually had that striped skirt for years but had never worn it before. I know ... xxx

      Delete
  9. Have a fabulous holiday! Now that the suitcases are packed, you can relax already.

    xxx Regula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Regula, we did have a fantastic holiday! xxx

      Delete
  10. My favorite is the Diolen!! You look fab in it! A lovely color on you...
    I also Love your garden and all the flowers...beautiful!
    Enjoy your vacation!!!
    Sweet Bess...
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna! I love my Diolen dresses! xxx

      Delete
  11. happy holidays - ann & jos!
    and if you did wrong with the packing there are shops at you destination for sure ;-D
    hoping bess will not feel to lonely in the meanwhile......
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beate! I packed half and half, but only needed the warm weather half :-) xxx

      Delete
  12. Palms (dress) and stripes (skirt) … I love it so much. Wonderful outfits Ann. I wish you a great holiday and looking forward to your travelogue.
    with a huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay vacation. Have a lovely time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Hena, we had a fab vacation! xxx

      Delete
  14. I can sense your excitement in this post! I know from facebook that you had a good journey and you're up the road enjoying some smashing weather!
    Hof ter Linden is always a treat. What a relief about your camera, I've done that a couple of times, too! Good news about the hairdresser as well. I know how much you enjoy your trips to see Michael.
    I'm glad the Oriental Poppies are bringing as much joy as they do with us.
    Fabulous outfits especially the stripes and retro flowers, a pattern mixing masterclass. One of my friends loved Jackpot, too. We found a boutique in Agadir in Morocco back in the 1990s and she spent a fortune.
    William says hello to beautiful Bess!
    See you very soon! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix! Such a relief about my camera indeed, I'm not sure what I would have done if it had been damaged ... xxx

      Delete
  15. Enjoy your vacation, Ann! I am well familiar with that frenzy of "to-do"s and I know you made it off okay - and I'm looking forward to reading all about it when you get back!

    Love your blue dress with the pops of orange and yellow. That striped skirt outfit is very rockabilly to me! Your brooch on the King Louie dress is perfect.

    You find such good stuff - I love your new cardigan, and that Jackpot skirt is fantastic. Of course, you had the perfect buttons!

    Hugs to sweet Bess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila, and hugs right back to handsome Vizzini! xxx

      Delete
  16. simply beautiful and I just love the color and details, all these lovely colour's.. & happy holidays :)

    online shopping in Canada
    women’s jewelry

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your blue-patterned dress is a joy! I love it! The brooch is so pretty too!!! You did well on the CS finds and T2!
    I enjoyed seeing your floral bounty in the garden! So much beauty!
    I do hope that building survives!
    Your red Gabor sandals really do love comfy, I really like them! Kezzie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kezzie! I've got that dress in mustard as well. Pretty Diolen dresses are quite hard to find lately! xxx

      Delete
  18. Oh, your flowers are all so beautiful! We've got red poppies like that too, and I'm constantly amazed by how very scarlet they are - nothing else seems to be as vivid.

    Good to know you'll still be able to see your hairdresser - finding a good one is so hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mim! Not sure what I would have done if Michel had stopped completely. It took me years to find a hairdresser who "got" me! xxx

      Delete
  19. I hope you had a wonderful trip to Shropshire! I'm really looking forward to all of your posts about it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nikki, and we have a wonderful trip indeed! xxx

      Delete
  20. just stunning, and I like the color
    https://www.melodyjacob.com/2023/06/how-to-protect-your-skin-from-serious-burns.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's a lovely blue dress with tiny orange, white and yellow flowers.
    Your outfits are always stylish.
    Vacation time is finally here and I'm happy about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivana! I was so looking forward to my vacation and now I'm already on my second week back ... xxx

      Delete
  22. all the dresses look very cute but I am absolutely lost on the first. It is magnificient! A part of me would wanted to steal it from you. SUper cute. And enjoy your vacation the fullest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your lovely comment! xxx

      Delete