Friday 13 August 2021

Escape to the country

By the time this post is published, our little break will probably just be a distant memory.  I will have been back at the office for a week and my nerves might very well be just as frazzled as they were before we went away. It might have been short but it was certainly sweet, and all those memories we gathered and the photographs we took will make it last just that little bit longer. 

But let's begin at the beginning, which was actually at the end of my final working week.

To accommodate Bess and slowly get her used to our being away for longer than a day, we'd booked three nights, from Monday until Thursday, which left us plenty of time to pack and get into holiday mode. Both of which, I admit, were easier said than done!



While packing is always a bit stressful for me, particularly the part where I have to decide which clothes to take, getting that holiday feeling wasn't exactly straightforward either with the weather being all but on its best behaviour. In fact, it was only when we were heading towards the motorway on Monday that it sank in that we were going on holiday!

Saturday served us the usual mix of clouds, showers and the odd ray of sunshine which, at barely 20°C, made me rummage the shelf of long-sleeved blouses in my wardrobe, unearthing this pale green vintage one patterned with sprays of orange, navy and burgundy flowers. It was an old Think Twice find - bought on a shopping spree with my friends Inneke and Inez in April 2018 - and I thought it complemented my recently charity shopped C&A maxi skirt perfectly.


The crochet belt with its massive wooden buckle was a post-Lockdown 1 retail buy last Summer, while the necklace and brooch were charity shop and flea market finds respectively.

If pottering and procrastination were the buzz words on Saturday, the dreaded packing could no longer be postponed on Sunday. This doesn't mean I leave things to the last minute, though. Quite the contrary, as I usually start filling a basket with essentials long before the word go. Plus, Ms. Organized being my middle name, I've got a handy checklist to make sure we've got everything we need.



The problem, as you've guessed, are the clothes! Keeping our ears glued to the weather forecast is of the essence but still I've lost count of all the times I ended up packing the wrong things. 

This time, there seemed to be no doubt that the weather would be atrocious, so in the end I assembled three outfits consisting of two pairs of wide-legged trousers and one maxi skirt, combining each with a long-sleeved top, and throwing in two short-sleeved jumpers and some cardigans for good measure.

As rain would definitely be on the cards, I took not one but two raincoats, my orange leather jacket and, throwing caution to the wind, a denim jacket!



On Monday just after lunch, after wistfully saying our goodbyes to Bess, we hopped into our car and off we went. It had been a dry morning and by the time we reached the motorway we were happy to see that the sun had decided to join us. That was when the so far elusive holiday mood finally descended on us, and not even the usual queues towards the infamous Kennedy Tunnel - passing under the River Scheldt - could spoil it.

After a leisurely drive of just over an hour, we arrived at our destination, our lovely B&B Het Soetewater in Beernem, a stone's throw from the city of Bruges.



And while not exactly pastures new - we stayed here in the Spring of 2018 and 2019, and celebrated our Silver Wedding Anniversary here in February 2020 - it was the first time we visited at the height of Summer, and the room we'd booked was a brand new luxury one which was only finished last year.

The place is an oasis of peace and quiet, which descends on you the minute you step through the gate and into the walled garden, in which at this time of year several variaties of magnificent Hydrangeas played the starring role.

After buying her parents' farm, our lovely host Veronique, together with her builder husband transformed the barns into an atmospheric B&B which abounds with charming details.



With its white painted brick wall and exposed beams, the room felt even more spacious than it already was, with an antique bureau in the corner next to the bathroom and a small sitting corner and a wooden table and chairs flanking the comfortable King Size bed. 

We were intrigued, however, by the little glass fronted cupboard on top of the beam opposite the bed, wondering why it stood empty and, quite annoyingly, off-centre. 

There was a huge antique wardrobe which could have held ten times the amount of clothes I'd brought and was large enough to keep our travel bags out of sight.



The bathroom, which was entered through the white painted door under the beam was several times the size of our tiny one back at home and contained a huge walk-in shower and a whirlpool bath big enough for the both of us. Not being used to high tech bathroom equipment, our attempt to use the latter that evening ended in a minor flooding of the bathroom. Don't tell Veronique, though. We cleaned it all up so that no trace of our mishap was left by the time she came and did our room in the morning ...



By the time we'd made ourselves at home and had a restorative cup of coffee, it was past 3.30 and we were raring to go out and explore.

Making the most of the gorgeous and unexpected sunny weather, we drove down to Bulskampveld, a provincial domain less than a 10-minute drive from our B&B.



After leaving our car in a leafy car park, we made our way through an avenue of trees towards the castle, built in neo-Gothic style in 1887, and now the visitor centre and gateway to the domain and the surrounding area. 

Initially, we were amazed at the number of people about, especially as this was a Monday, but then again it was the first gorgeous Summer's day in weeks, which obviously we weren't the only ones making the most of.  

Passing a wooden information kiosk, we obtained a leaflet with a map of the domain as well as a booklet on the walled herb garden situated at the back of the castle.




Created in 1980 on the site of the castle's former kitchen garden, the herb garden (kruidentuin in Flemish) was entered through an iron gate, behind which the 400 or so species of medicinal and kitchen herbs were basking in the heat of the August afternoon.





Swathes of purplish pink Liatris spicata (button snakewort, bottom left) and deep violet Aconitum (monkshood, top right) were stealing the show while attracting flutters of butterflies.

A cheeky robin kept Jos company while he rested on a bench. The little bird must have been envious of the bright orange colour of Jos's shirt!




My travelling outfit, composed with non-too-summery weather in mind, was built around a crisp blue organic cotton maxi skirt picked up in the Mango sales last Summer. The blue and white Breton top sprang to mind immediately as its perfect companion. One of my stretchy chevron belts added interest at waist level. 



Isn't it a marvel that my skirt emerged virtually unwrinkled from our car journey? 

In order to compliment my good old red Clarks Cloudsteppers, I accessorized my outfit with a red and white beaded necklace and red cat brooch. The red cardigan I was wearing - and which you can spot in one of the B&B collages - had long been dispensed with by then.

My outfit will be joining Shelbee's and Nancy's "Good Buy/Good-Bye" post in a couple of days time!



After our visit to the herb garden, we strolled around the domain's outbuildings, searching in vain for the start of a walk which would take us around the castle park laid out in English landscape style.

In the otherwise empty farmyard of the estate farm, a tiny black and white kitten melted our hearts and inevitably made us think of Queen Bess back at home.

You'd be forgiven for thinking that the ivy clad tower is part of the castle, but it's actually a water tower constructed in the 1890s.



We were just about to give up on our search when we finally spotted a waymarker putting us in the right direction to our intended walk. However, as it was late afternoon by then, we just followed it for a short stretch, taking alternative paths whenever we felt there were too many people about.

Nevertheless, while I was investigating the wooden play hut we came across, some silly idiot thought he was being funny when he played peek-a-boo through one of the little windows at the back. Oh well.



At the point where the path emerged from the trees, an ornamental bridge crossed the brook which feeds into the castle lake, offering a picturesque view towards the castle.

Before returning to our car, we briefly sat and stared on a bench, commenting, as we'd already done several times that afternoon, on how lucky we were with the weather.



In order to maximize the time we had at our disposal after checking in, we made use of Veronique's splendid hospitality options by ordering the tapas board she was offering. This way, we wouldn't have to look for a place to eat - not an easy feat on a Monday when lots of places are closed - and just had to pick up the board and a basket of assorted breads from the B&B's kitchen.

An excellent idea and finger-licking delicious too!



And then it was time to wind down, relax, read and nap. Although I couldn't stop wondering about that mysterious off-centre cupboard on top of that beam!

To be continued ...


44 comments:

  1. so you finally made it to the country!
    had a good chuckle at what the hell you packed for only 3 days ;-DDD
    i guess you never did backpacking/trekking......
    the B&B look very chic and cosy - and your first walk to the castle sounds gorgeous.
    the kitty!! awww****
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I never did actual backpacking, but used to travel by public transport around the UK with my ex-boyfriend, so that I had to travel light. Now there's no need for that, I'd rather pack a bit more, especially when the weather's being unpredictable :-) xxx

      Delete
  2. The place you stayed looks lovely and I really like your travelling outfit! The stripe top and maxi skirt are just perfect together! :)
    I have the same problem with packing - always worried I will pack the wrong things so I end up taking much more than I need!

    Hope you are having a good weekend :) We spent some time at the park today, it was lovely!

    Away From The Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mica, and what a relief to know I'm not the only one packing more than I actually need :-) xxx

      Delete
  3. Very very nice, indeed.

    It makes me so happy that I live where others spend their holidays and find peace and quiet. Even if it rains, especially if it rains.

    xxx Regula



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Regula, and you are very lucky to live where you do! xxx

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful place! The accommodation looks lovely - I would quite like that wardrobe. I love walks that take unexpected turns - that water tower is pretty impressive. The castle herb garden is stunning and your photos really sell the place. That little kitten is adorable! We always seem to befriend a local cat whenever we go away and like you, start to worry about our cat at home. I bet Bella was pleased to see you return! Looking forward to the next installment. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire! I did take a shining to that wardrobe too ... xxx

      Delete
  5. I hope you enjoyed your time off. We all need rest and relaxation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay, you made it!
    I feel more relaxed just looking at your photos. I'm glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Goody! You're welcome to tag along any time! xxx

      Delete
  7. What a lovely place to have your little break away. It’s beautiful. I can feel the peace descending on you.
    As for the little cupboard it would probably have me mesmerised as well. Now I see what you mean by off centre but it does look right to me above the little pictures on the walll haha.
    Looking forward to the next instalment xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynn! It really is a wonderful place, which is why we keep going back again and again ... xxx

      Delete
  8. What a wonderful place for a break, it's gorgeous and I'm dying to learn more about that off-centre cupboard. The tapas tray looks scrumptious and I'm loving that grand castle (and the kitten!)
    Your C&A maxi is lovely and your Mango organic cotton skirt looks like a very wise investment.
    Can't wait for part two! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix! I do think that skirt is a wise investment too. I've already got quite a few outfits in mind! xxx

      Delete
  9. You stay looks great and I hope you are well rested and relaxed after the trip. Love that pale green blouse!
    xoxo
    Lovely
    www.mynameislovely.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lovely. It was a bit too short to fully recharge my batteries but there's another slightly longer holiday on the horizon! xxx

      Delete
  10. I'm happy to hear your little trip was sweet even if it was short. Nice of you two to consider Bess in your travel arragements and deciding on going away for shorter amounts of time so she would get used to your absence.

    I love all of your outfits. The first look with the pointy collar blouse and a maxi is fabulous.
    I also love your travelling outfit in blue tones. The striped blue top and maxi look great together. I also love that red necklace. You look great.

    Thank you for taking us along. It seems you had a lovely stay and it is good that the little flooding incident didn't have any bad consequences. Have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivana! Bess was absolutely fine, but still glad to have us back. I hope she'll be the same when we go away for a week in September! xxx

      Delete
  11. The accommodation looks lovely Anne. Regardless of the weather its always lovely to get away. Love the Breton and long skirt. Great colour on you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laurie! I don't mind the weather so much, but it's a bonus to have a bit of sunshine! xxx

      Delete
  12. Oh the B&B looks great. It all sounds so wonderful what you write. Beautiful photos, I would love to go there immediately. 😁
    I actually like packing my bags because I have a lot of fun putting together looks for vacation days.
    Your striped shirt has a great color Ann. You look great.
    with a very huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina! I wouldn't mind packing so much if I could be sure of the weather :-) xxx

      Delete
  13. I am so intrigued by the off centre cupboard! I hope you reveal all in the next post! I'm so glad you got away for a break; it really does wonders to have a change of scenery and routine. The place you stayed looked wonderful and as for that Tapas board - how yummy it looked.

    I loved your skirt and stripy top - very holidayish. Loved the green blouse and C&A maxi skirt; you looked fab in it. You are a very organised packer. I,too, start putting stuff into bags well in advance but I don't make a list...

    The castle and the views were magnificent. As was the wee kitten...

    Looking forward to reading more
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to go back to find out about the off centre cupboard, as we were a bit reluctant to ask our lovely host. I know, I'm Ms. Organized :-) The list is an Excel sheet I made many years ago. Very handy! xxx

      Delete
  14. Oh my gosh, your vacation! What a beautiful B&B that is - the cupboard is a mystery and I hope you got an answer about it, Ann! The wonderful park/property is just a balm for the soul.

    Love your maxi in the first outfit, and hello! to seeing you in the Good-Bye Book in your stripes. Love it. Aw, that little black and white kitten!!

    I hope Queen Bess didn't miss you too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila, and wasn't it fortunate that I'd just been wearing stripes when the Good Buy/Goodbye Book was due? xxx

      Delete
  15. What a beautiful place, it looks very cozy and I loved your skirt, I thought it was very cute.
    I loved your blog that I'm already following
    https://beperes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment. I'll be hopping over to your blog soon! xxx

      Delete
  16. So lovely place, the room looks really cosy and comfortable, lots of attention to details!.
    You look fab in your blue skirt and striped top, summery combo and really cool. Loving your red Clarks and red accessories!. Totally agree about packing, it stresses me to pick the right clothes. I always pick my shoes first, then everything is easier.
    This B&B's hospitality is magnificent, the food you've ordered look really Delicious.
    Lovely photos, dear Anne!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica! Perhaps I might take a leaf out of your book and pick my shoes first next time I'm packing! xxx

      Delete
  17. Gosh I missed two posts I believe. Shall subscribe again.... don't know why this happens. But what a wonderful place, and such kind people! Seeing your photos makes me want to go away too, so rehashing isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't got a clue why this is. I've subscribed myself a the time to see if it worked, and some times I get the email and other times I don't. Jos subscribed as well and he is getting it every time! Isn't that crazy? xxx

      Delete

  18. The mystery of the cupboard has us all in suspense!
    I wouldn't know how to operate a spa bath either, but what a nice feature once you figured it out.
    That blue skirt is an absolute beauty. Every wardrobe needs something like that to look good when travelling.
    Will look forward to the next installment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll have to go back soon, I guess. Not only did we not solve the mystery of the cupboard, we still haven't worked out how to operate that spa bath! xxx

      Delete
  19. Cue more drooling over your Tapas...still on the M25.
    I adore your blue skirt and the whole outfit! You just need a red wool beret for an Autumn-version!
    Oooh, isn't your B&B marvellous!!! So spacious! And the shower....x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hope you didn't stay stuck for too long ... must have been horrible on an empty stomach ... And surprise, surprise, I do have a red wool beret :-) xxx

      Delete
  20. I'm drooling looking at that board YUM! You travel like me these days I still can't quite believe I backpacked for 2 months in comparison to the amount of clothing I feel the need to take these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gisela, and phew, am I glad I'm not the only one! xxx

      Delete
  21. Thank you, really and truly, for taking us along on your immensely lovely journey. It made my armchair travelling heart smile with joy.

    Autumn Zenith 🎃 Witchcrafted Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Autumn, it's been a pleasure taking you along! xxx

      Delete