Wednesday 18 July 2018

Instructions for a heatwave

I can't believe we've been back from our holiday for two and a half weeks already!

If it weren't for the fact that I'm still reliving it by blogging about the things we've done, our holiday would by now be a distant - albeit gold-framed - memory!

The weather had been even hotter here than in the UK, so that we returned to a house with a bedroom which felt like a sauna and a garden that had clearly seen better days.

The birds had stripped our white currant bush of most of the translucent pink tinged fruits, but we were able to harvest a bumper crop of ruby red gooseberries just in the nick of time.


I had to go back to work almost straight away, after two days of frantic unpacking, doing several loads of washing, catching up on my blog reading and churning out my first holiday post.

My first day back at the office could have been frantic as well, but I was quite unfazed by the chaos awaiting me after the relaxing holiday we'd had. Plus, I was wearing Vix's brooch pinned to my light cotton frock, which acted as a kind of armour, as it reminded me of the time we spent together.

I also switched to a new work handbag. Not that new actually, as I'd already snapped it up at Think Twice months ago. It's deadstock, in pristine condition, and roomy enough to stash away all my paraphernalia, including my much-needed pair of sunglasses, which my old handbag didn't have room for.



Posing in the glare of the sizzling hot July sunshine doesn't make for the best of photos, but I was determined to show you some of the outfits I've been wearing. Unfortunately, this could only be done after work, when the sun in our back garden was as at its brightest, bleaching out colours and casting unflattering shadows.

First up is this ethereal dress, which provides an elegant silhouette with its longer length and pleated skirt. 

You can have a closer look of it here.

I'm surprised it was still looking quite fresh after a day at the office and my commute on a hot, stuffy tram, where I'd tried to keep relatively cool by frantically waving my fan. Other people were doing the same, but using a variety of papery items they happened to be carrying. I was intrigued to see one man using a flyer with a photograph of Nick Cave by renowned photographer Anton Corbijn, who is currently having an exhibition of his work in Antwerp!.



Fast forward to Friday of my first week back, when I was wearing separates for a change. The lightweight box-pleated skirt was picked up at Think Twice last Summer. The King Louie blouse, equally lightweight and adorned with a bow tie, was charity shopped, as were the bangles, beads and sandals, while the mother-of-pearl brooch was a flea market find.



I've had the raffia bag, which also came from Think Twice, for many years. It's my current bag of choice for carrying my packed lunch, some fruit and a drink to work.


It was too hot to do anything much on Saturday, but wilting away inside the house wasn't an option either.

We hadn't been to the park since May, so that was our destination settled, going for a little walk to see what had changed.

Hemerocallis and Inula helenium were out in full force, but I gave it my best shot to compete with their fiery colours.


The sleeveless shift dress, in a waffle fabric, came from a long-gone vintage shop. 

I made a beeline for the same dress in green at a flea market back in May, but as I couldn't try it on, I left it behind thinking it would be too tight. I've regretted not buying it ever since, as it turns out it was exactly the same size as this one. And it was only € 6 to boot! I know, I can be quite silly at times.


The wicker and leather handbag was bought in Wales two Summers ago and while I can't remember where the yellow beads and plastic bangle came from, the chocolate brown and white bracelet was bought on a charity shopping spree in Wellington, Shropshire last month. 


After being out of action for a while, they'd reinstated the ornamental stone fountain and, even though it is still somewhat in disrepair, it was nice to hear water tinkling and gurgling again, providing some imaginary coolness on this hot day.


This prompted me to do a little dance (as one does), and then I had to do it all over again, as Jos wanted to catch the silliness on camera. 


I love the contrast between the manicured lawn on the right and the abundant wildflower meadow on the left but, even though all is looking quite lush at first sight, the effects of the relentless heat of the sun and the lack of rain are clearly starting to show. 


Our favourite charity shop is just across the road, so we went for a brief rummage. What are the chances of finding a Summer hat in a colour coordinating with my outfit? Weirdly enough, there were two of them, hanging side by side.

A lady was admiring my hat, adding that it would go with a dress she'd just bought. When I pointed her in the direction of  its twin, she declined, saying that her neighbours would think she'd gone mad if she started wearing a hat. Some people!


Me, I'm just following nature's example. I'm such a magpie when it comes to colour. If people think I'm mad, then so be it. I'd much rather be considered mad than invisible.


Of course, the hat wasn't the only thing that caught my eye. 

With the weather forecast showing no mercy from the heat, I'm in need of some colourful cotton tops to wear with my summer skirts. I knew that this particular shop would not disappoint, and I was right.

This loose-fitting, peasant style blouse was a no-brainer, with its fresh green colour and subtle white flower print with a hint of orange.


I wasn't looking for another skirt, but how could I possibly pass up the opportunity? This rather exotic fruit print midi skirt, in a crisp, lined cotton, was only € 4.

There, I'm dressed, for under € 10: isn't charity shopping the best?

In my next post, I'll be continuing my travelogue with another visit to a Welsh property and a significant improvement in the weather.


38 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you're having the awful heat as well-this seems to have been an awful summer on both sides of the Atlantic. You're looking cool though, and my goodness, I do love that sleeveless dress!
    There's something mad about not wearing a hat in the sun. I'm glad you don't worry about what others think and dress to please yourself-the world has enough beige already!

    Fingers crossed for some cooling rain headed your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been even hotter in the meantime, still waiting for that cooling rain, I'm afraid. And indeed it's mad not to wear a hat in the sun. I couldn't live without mine right now! xxx

      Delete
  2. I'm so excited with your latest finds! They seem to be getting better and better every time!

    The bold graphic floral print on the shift dress and that fruit skirt are so darn groovy and vibrant. Your hat is fabulous too. I don't understand people and hats. At one time everyone wore hats and it was odd if you didn't.

    My favourites are your last outfit with the skirt and that mod shift dress.

    Good thing we don't shop together ; P Things might have gotten ugly.

    Suzanne
    http://www.suzannecarillo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suzanne! The mod shift dress is a long-time favourite and the last one, well, it just came together while I was thrifting ... xxx

      Delete
  3. There's so much fabulousness in this post, Ann! First, I love your new work bag! I also love your top and box-pleated skirt paired with the fabulous accessories. You look fantastic in that floral shift dress too, Ann! The colours and print are so pretty. Last but not least, the last outfit is my favourite! The top is so pretty and the skirt is amazing. Love the necklace too! XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sasha! That last outfit was put together without too much thought, but I'm quite pleased with the result! xxx

      Delete
  4. your peasant blouse/fruity skirt look is a stunner!! this blouse cut suit you so well and the skirt´s print is just gorgeous!
    wearing the matching dress for the park flowers is genius :-D love your little dance!
    and yes - gooseberry time! i had my yummy share already - bought because no plant at my garden yet....
    stay cool! hugs! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey we both loved the last outfit! :)))

      Delete
    2. Thank you Beate! So glad you love the skirt and blouse combo. And my little dance ;-) xxx

      Delete
  5. wow, lots of fabulous outfits!, I love that you wore your brooch as an armour to keep you safe from all the stress of work! and you've picked a cute handbag for your summer stuff! really cute!
    Love the 'separates' outfit with the pleated skirt, so beautiful color combo and it looks fresh and comfy too!. And I'm obviously admiring your orange flowers dress, it's stunning! and you look gorgeous in it!!! not surprisingly you did a little dance!
    And the last outfit is amazing too!, the peasant blouse, the colorful printed skirt, the hat, the accessories, everything is fabulous! once more, you rock!!
    we're having storms and heat all together, which is pretty annoying!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica! I'm making an effort to wear more separates! I so love the orange dress, and I'm still beating myself up for not buying the green one ... xxx

      Delete
  6. That sleeveless waffle shift dress is absolutely lovely. If you're meant to have the green one, I'm sure it will find its way to you. The hat is great too - such a shame that lady wanted a hat but felt she couldn't wear one. Better to be considered mad than invisible for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mim! Who knows that green dress will still be around at next year's flea market ... xxx

      Delete
  7. I love the dress you wore to the park and the exotic fruit print skirt is wonderful. Both real stunners.
    Here the grass is now completely dead but I can't complain because I love the hot weather.
    Your gooseberries are such a great colour, I picked our ordinary green ones before we went away but all of our currants, bkack and red, have been eaten by the birds. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those birds are such greedy creatures, aren't they? Our garden looks all dried up right now. And due to the continuing heat, there are some serious watering restrictions, so I guess that's it for this season! xxx

      Delete
  8. We've only had one or two really hot days so far, over here, but I am not envious of the crushing heat you've been having! I love your new work-purse, and I adore your fruital skirt (if flowers = floral, then fruit = fruital - totally legitimately made up by me, hee hee).

    Glad to hear that you still had that post-vacation chill and were able to deal with your work calmly. That's always the hardest thing for me to retain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fruital has now been added to my vocabulary, it's a perfect word! I must admit that the post-vacation chill didn't last ... xxx

      Delete
  9. Welcome Ann... another mad people! :))
    You look soooo gorgeous in your flower dresses. So perfect for these hot days. Thank you for wonderful pictures. Today it become 35 degrees here, I can not go out for a walk, unfortunately:(
    But first I have to go to work, fortunately till 13.00.
    I wish you a great weekend. A very huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing wrong with a bit of madness, there's more than enough seriousness already ;-) It's been 35 degrees and more for the last few days. Too hot for me, really! xxx

      Delete
  10. I quite often buy something because it goes brilliantly with whatever I'm wearing...then, when I get home, I realise it doesn't go with anything else. Good excuse to look for something else, right?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Good strategy! :))) I think I do the same! :)))

      Delete
    2. Any excuse for some retail therapy, Fig! And if it's charity shopped, it's completely guilt free in my book! xxx

      Delete
  11. I'm loving the heat Ann, although today has been very overcast and cooler. The waffle print dress is fab and I'd love a peasant blouse like yours....I'd also love those goosegogs! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too hot for me right now, at 35°C and more! And I'm afraid all the "goosegogs" are gone now ... xxx

      Delete
  12. "her neighbours would think she'd gone mad if she started wearing a hat."- Whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat madness is that!??!?!??!?!
    Seriously? Do people think I am mad then for wanting to protect myself from the sun. Bizarre!
    You look lovely. In that first outfit, you remind me of Maria Von Trapp at the Ball when she danced the Laendler with Captain Von Trapp! That's so cool about the hat!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It shall be my Maria Von Trapp dress from now on! Can't believe so many people don't wear a hat in the sun ... Sheer madness! xxx

      Delete
  13. The second look (the floral dress) is my favorite one, well all your looks are so amazing but this one suits you perfectly!
    And thank you for the tipps. It's way too hot right now and I definetly need some good instructions.

    take a look at my BLOG and my INSTAGRAM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amely Rose. I've paid your blog a little visit in the meantime. xxx

      Delete
  14. That hat is a perfect find. I'm sure that green dress will come back to you somehow... vintage has a way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gisela, and I hope you're right about the green dress! xxx

      Delete
  15. Your gooseberries look delicious! And your exotic fruit skirt is a fabulous find!
    I couldn't agree more with your statement about being considered mad, is better than being invisible. Who wants to go unnoticed?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really were delicious, Hazel! When I look around, it seems there are quite a few people who choose to be invisible ... It wouldn't feel right for me, though. xxx

      Delete
  16. My goodness, Ann! I don't know where to start! What a fabulous post! I was adoring you in the light blue dress, then I saw the orange and white floral dress which is fantastic, and the new hat, and finally the last outfit... it's a bomb!!! This is by far THE BEST fruit print I've ever seen! Unbelievable! Of course you couldn't leave it behind - and why would you? The whole outfit sings - with the green country style shirt and wide brim hat! Symphony!

    I can't believe - why would anyone think that a person is mad for wearing a hat??? Hats are just hats - or I am missing something?
    Colors are gorgeous, I am in love with all colors! Completely!

    Lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Natacha! And so kind of you to share my outfit on Facebook. That really made my day! Oh, and I'm in love with colours too ;-) xxx

      Delete
  17. What fabulous outfits and you match the flowers in the park beautifully!I think my favourite outfit was your last one and hat was brilliant buy.

    I'm so lucky to be missing all that heat and humidity back home. Here in Ireland it's been a balmy 23 degrees and I swam in the sea for the first time today.
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you! I would so love to have some balmy 23 degrees days ... xxx

      Delete
  18. I'm absolutely loving this weather!
    All your outfits are glorious but the giant poppy and daisy print shift dress is just sublime.
    I loved that your seagull acted as armour. I'm so looking forward to wearing the amazing maxi you gave me - when the heat dies down a bit. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you must be at least part-lizard ;-) Wearing the seagull brooch really helped. I've also worn that pretty floral frock you gave me, it's in the wash now! xxx

      Delete