Thursday 11 May 2017

I'm keeping flowers in full bloom

Finally, it was time for our first outdoor flea market of the year, which, as you can well imagine, we had very much been looking forward to.

Enjoyable as they can be, however, events as these, of course, depend heavily upon the weather.

Having the choice of going either on Saturday or on Sunday, we opted for Saturday, which turned out to be very fortunate, as the contrast between the two days couldn't have been greater.



It was still a bit chilly when we set off, so I abandoned my idea of wearing the summery dress I first had in mind, and which I'd hung out all ready to go. Oh, well, it's too early for poppies anyway, isn't it?


Instead, I wore a midi skirt in a textured polyester, turquoise with touches of red, green,white and black, and combined it with a long-sleeved fitted black blouse printed with summer flowers.
I bought the blouse back in December, and it has featured here before. This time, I wore it over the skirt and added a turquoise belt, echoing the turquoise of the skirt.



At first, I wore a little cardigan on top, but that was soon discarded. Instead, I wore the orange leather jacket I recently bought.

We parked our car just under a kilometer from the flea market's entrance, as parking can be a bit of a problem, but we had the sun, which had come out in the meantime, accompanying us on our walk up.



Our first buy was at the very first stall we came across: a seat pad in yellow, green and orange, with pompoms! I am using it on my "office chair" and here I am sat on it while writing this post, although Phoebe already has her eye on it too ...

Turning the corner into the next aisle, we were met by the sight of a stall which was right up our street! I was just starting to browse a box full of vintage buttons when I clocked I'd met the owners, Ilona and Wannes, before. They are regulars at the indoor flea markets we go to in the winter months.



Apart from some buttons, we bought a gorgeous round royal blue tin decorated with orange flowers, as well as a small tin which used to contain photographic developer. It's from local company Gevaert, where both my grandfathers used to work, and it will be an interesting little addition to our vintage camera collection.



The old motto of starting as you mean to go on was clearly lost on me, as these were the only photos I took of the flea market itself.



I do not often buy clothes at flea markets but I couldn't leave behind a vintage emerald green quilted dressing gown and a hand made green blouse featuring ....yes, you've guessed it: flowers. The contrasting orange flowers on a dark green background made it stand out on the rail of otherwise run of the mill clothing. The fabric is a Diolen polyester and the bright green buttons are cleverly hiding press studs underneath.



I struck gold again a couple of aisles further on, where I found this skirt in a favourite combination of navy and green on white. The skirt is in waffle pique fabric and has slanting patch pockets, finished with a blue button. It isn't vintage but from Belgian retro label Wow to Go. Its retail price would have been around € 70 but I paid only € 3. Bargain!

Yet again, it's a flowery print, albeit a naive one.

I must admit that I am quite often drawn to flowery fabrics, in particular of a bold 1960s/1970s variety.







I have fond memories of a flower printed dress I had when I was in fourth grade, which was handmade by my paternal grandmother.

This is the only photo I could find of me wearing it, sat on a white horse for a school photograph, aged 10.

Funnily enough, I had to wait more than twenty years for the prince to come along too!









A quick glance at the contents of my wardrobe and linen chest is rewarded with all kinds of flowery fabrics vying for attention:



I can't help but feeling cheerful wearing a colourful flower print and I dream sweet dreams when sleeping under a flower printed sheet (top left and bottom right)

But let's go back to that flea market, where we were about to have a picnic in the shade of a tree.



It felt great being out and about in the sunshine after the dismally cold weather we've been having of late. Hello, weather gods, it is MAY for goodness' sake.

The second half of the market wasn't nearly so exciting, but I still ended up finding a couple more things, like this chocolate brown 1950s handbag ...



I wasn't going to buy any more brown, black or navy handbags, but hey: some rules are meant to be broken, surely?



... and some little bits and pieces: Lucite brooch, pearly earrings (to be worn for my next Bertha impersonation), ring and vintage necklace, pictured here together with the buttons I'd found before.

Before walking back to our car, we picked up a rhubarb plant we've bought at a plant stall. We always had rhubarb growing in our garden, but we lost it last year, and hadn't got around to replacing it yet.

Back at home, I sat and pottered a bit in the garden, taking photographs of various blooms. I was thrilled to find that one of the Aquilegias which had self-seeded turns out to be a deep purple double flowered one (bottom right).


We finished our pottering by refilling our miniature pond, which only had a bit of mud left at the bottom, with fresh water.

One of Dove Cottage's secrets is the old-fashioned hand pump which is living in our bathroom, giving us a ready supply of fresh water, free of charge, from a water well. It is actually taking up too much space in our already cramped little bathroom, but surely it would be madness to get rid of it?



We've never had the water tested to find out if it's fit for consumption, but we use it to water the garden and keep the "pondette" topped up.

The pumped up, ice cold water is a welcome treat for hot and weary feet in summer too.

Ah, summer: will it ever come?


34 comments:

  1. You school photos are so much more interesting than mine. I remember wearing dresses very similar to the one you have on in it though.
    I love the montage of flowery prints and the black flowered blouse you are wearing. The flowers look great against the black background.
    I love a picnic and it looks fun despite the cold spring weather.
    How great having a pump attached to a well, that's so cool!
    The flowers in your garden are looking good too. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a picnic too, Sally, and take every opportunity to have one. We even have "car picnics" when the weather's not cooperating! xxx

      Delete
  2. You look ready to lead a parade on that horse. What a great photo!

    You have such a lovely collection of floral prints in your wardrobe. That dress with the poppies is beautiful-I'm hoping it warms up soon so you can wear it.

    Glad the flea market yielded some nice finds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do, don't I? I love that photo too. The poppy dress is still waiting, but I'm sure it won't be long now! xxx

      Delete
  3. I love that photo of you and Jos reflected in the mirror!
    Looks like we both had our first outdoor shopping experience of the year this week.
    Shame you couldn't wear that fab poppy dress but it won't be long.
    Fab finds as always, love the repro skirt (we have a similar brand called Pop! which does some equally groovy stuff) and yes, it is very much like that pretty dress you wore on your horse!
    The garden is looking fabulous and I love that you've got a hand pump in the bathroom. there's one in my parents' verandah as there's a natural spring beneath the house, but you'd need the strength of an ox to draw anything from it.
    After two days of sunshine its back to cloud and rain here today, bah! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't resist taking photos in mirrors! You don't need much strength for using our hand pump, but it takes some time to get it working again if it hasn't been used for a while. No fear of that in summer, though. xxx

      Delete
  4. I'm just the same Ann, I get so carried away at vintage fairs looking at all the wares and chatting to vendors that I forget to take many photos. Love the print on the retro skirt and how lucky to get a self-seeded purple aquilegia, all mine have reverted to an insipid white...oh well you can't win them all. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the purple aquilegia, which has double flowers, is a cross between a common one and a beautiful pink and white double one we have in our garden, called Nora Barlow! xxx

      Delete
  5. I love all your flowery fabrics! I am inspired by your posts to start a little brooch collection. I think I will start b rounding up the ones I already have. Great finds at the flea market! How cool to pump well water!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so chuffed to have inspired you to start a little brooch collection. They can be picked up fairly inexpensively, and can add a quirky touch to whatever you're wearing. Good luck with your collection, Linda! xxx

      Delete
  6. Oh that poppy dress is a beauty!

    How unusual to have a school photo taken like that! I really like that idea, but I wonder how bored the horse got by the end of it all! All ours were the standard fare of lined up in rows - boring! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did have class photographs as well, but not of the lined up variety I have seen in the UK. There's another one of me, on a pony, when I was in infant school ... xxx

      Delete
  7. I went to our first outdoor flea of the year a couple of weeks ago but hardly bought anything, it was very disappointing. I do love your finds though, especially the detailing on that emerald green dressing gown. I'd love to see a full length shot of that! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a shame the outdoor flea was a disappointment, Cate. I'll be doing a full length shot of the dressing gown soon, especially for you! xxx

      Delete
  8. Ann

    Just like you I find it hard to resist a floral print whether it be on clothes, scarves, curtains, cushions or bed linen. I loved all the things you bought. The blouse is lovely and the colour combination of green, navy and white on the skirt is beautiful.

    I also loved the outfit you wore for the flea market trip. I try to avoid midi length skirts unless worn with long boots as I'm too short for them' but they look great on you.

    I've just got some Aquiligia for my garden, too. The first for us.

    Mr.PP looks very dashing in his hat...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Veronica. I'm quite short too, and never thought I could wear midi length. It does look better with long boots, but it was too warm for that. Hope you Aquilegia does well! xxx

      Delete
  9. water well envy! how great ist that! in germany the pharmacies do water tests (and soil too) for a bit of money. it would be worth it!
    (we have well water too, but from a big one up in the forest and we have to pay for - the water is very soft and cold even in summer)
    beautiful poppy dress - it would be great in june! and as you know i do love flower prints too - but more of the 40s or 50s style :-)
    fab finds! the seat cover looks very cosy. and i like the pearl earrings!
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll have to ask around to get the water tested. But Phoebe is always drinking from the little pond, so it must be alright. I keep picking up earrings, now all I have to do is wear them ... xxx

      Delete
  10. What a lovely and fruitful outing! I adore the poppy dress, and I'm sure I'll see it on you soon enough! The outfit you created is very striking, I love the colors! I didn't used to be a fan of floral patterns, but lately I really got into them. Your childhood photo is adorable! I also had to wait for quite a while before I met my own prince. But it was worth it. :)

    Lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Natalia. I love that floral dress you we were wearing in your Sleepless in Seattle post! Oh, and I'm sure the princes you have to wait for are the best! Big hug xxx

      Delete
  11. Your 3 Euro skirt was quite the bargain! I love it when I find something that I know is priced up quite high in the 'proper' shops. That photo of you on the horse is very cute, your taste in prints and colours was obviously established very early on! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often pick up higher priced brands at charity shops and flea markets, and it makes you wonder if people have money to burn. On Sunday, my friend picked up a dress for € 3 which would originally have cost about € 150. xxx

      Delete
  12. The 3euro skirt is a superb find as is the blouse and the quilted dressing gown!! I bought a green vintage blouse today in a vintage shop and I was telling the shopkeeper about you and your amazing polyester collection!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't stop smiling when I was imagining you talking to that shopkeeper about my polyester collection! That's so sweet! xxx

      Delete
  13. Oooh and I love the poppy dress!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love browsing Flea markets! You found some great buys. I like the vintage dressing gown and shirt.
    www.vanityandmestyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have some fabulous florals there. It's a shame you couldn't wear your poppy dress, but its time will come later in the summer.

    That seat pad looks amazingly comfy; I'm not surprised the kitty covets it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phoebe has already tested it out, as I noticed a tread pulled out of one of the pom poms ... Oh, well, that's what you get when you're living with cats! xxx

      Delete
  16. I read this yesterday and was certain I'd commented...
    Looks like you had a lovely weekend. I'm so impressed with your pom pom cushion, I do like a pom pom :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hazel. I did have some comments disappear on me, so maybe that's what happened. That pom pom cushion was literally the first thing we saw at that flea market. xxx

      Delete
  17. well, your poppies dress looks amazing, so I'm looking forward to see you wearing it. Anyway, you looked fabulous wearing your turquoise & floral ensemble, so lovely colors!
    And so much fabulousness in the flea market, you purchased some great stuff, love the tin boxes, love that White and blue skirt, and love all those flowers!!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monica, I guess I'll wait until poppies are actually in bloom ... xxx

      Delete