Sunday 11 February 2024

Made of clay

 While time is slowly but surely making its way towards mid-February, my blog, as usual, is still struggling to catch up with the past. January's final weekend might only be a matter of two weeks ago, it somehow seems a lot longer to me. 

Meanwhile, I'm feeling as if life keeps dealing me the wrong cards. There's nothing I can put my finger on exactly, but work-related stress keeps on poisoning my days (thank you Janice for this very apt description in my comments) and I'm sure the ongoing grey and rainy weather hasn't been any help either.

Here's to hoping Spring will bring solace!



However, the weekend which is this post's subject was a good one. Although I was still suffering from the odd coughing fit, they had definitely subsided, which in its turn had brought back some of my joie de vivre and revived my energy levels.

We'd slept late on Saturday the 28th of January, waking up to a layer of frost and lots of sunshine, with highs of about 8°C. In short: the perfect weather for my beloved flower basket frock!

The frock in question is vintage, and if you've guessed it was a Think Twice find you are spot on! I fell hard for its pattern, its midi length and dropped waist, which, together with its wool content, makes it the ideal jammy dress, as Sheila would say.  



I picked green for my opaques and charity shopped Mango cardigan, its tired and worn out buttons replaced with more appropriate vintage ones from my stash.

My berry-coloured necklace and flower corsage were charity shops finds as well, while my brooch - which for some reason I'm wearing upside down - is part of my haul from January's indoor flea market.


If Vix's garden is a bewildering wilderness, ours is a junkyard jungle, with the bags of compost mixed up with building rubble from next door's kitchen extension still cluttering up the courtyard at the back. But our revived passageway, sheltered by the new and higher wall, is a triumph. 

It was only a matter of a couple of weeks ago when I noticed the first of the flower buds in the Hellebore (Helleborus sternii) I re-homed here last Spring, and lo and behold: not only had they multiplied, the first of its creamy, pink-veined flowers was showing her pretty face.

That morning, I worked on a blog post while Jos ran an errand and made a pot of delicious tomato and paprika soup for our lunch, after which we decided on a wee trip to the charity shops. Or rather, shop, singular, as we only visited our most local one.



Among my finds was this short-sleeved millefiori vintage dress, in perfect condition apart from missing its belt and needing a couple of split seams repaired. No big issue, even for someone with limited sewing skills like yours truly.




I wrestled the marigold jumper from a shop dummy, and stumbled across this zig-zag patterned item, which is a pair of velvet-y lounging trousers. Much appreciated by Bess and me alike.

The wide, unstructured, minty green leather belt with its round white metal bucket is Italian made.

I'm always on the lookout for leather watch straps and unearthed these ones, in two different shades of blue, from a box of boring black sisters and brothers. I initially thought that there was only one of each, but found two matching pairs when I released them from their plastic bag at home. Not bad for € 2 surely.




Finally, the book shelves yielded no less than four new additions to my TBR pile!

We stopped for wild bird seed and some packets of bread mix at the garden centre on our way home. No risk of making any impulse purchases this time, as most of the plant tables were quite bare. 



In spite of a frosty start, Sunday developed into a deliciously sunny, almost springlike day, with the mercury climbing to 12°C.

My dress of choice was another Think Twice find and its label claims that it's a Ralph dress and was made in West Germany. Needless to say, the Internet wasn't very helpful in finding any information about this label, as my searches resulted in links to Ralph Lauren, rather than just Ralph. 



Appearances can be deceptive, as rather than black, the dress's predominant colour is a rich chocolate brown. It's got three buttons at the cuffs which echo those decorating each shoulder. 

From its clusters of flowers, I picked turquoise for my belt and pink for my beads, both items being charity shop finds. As was the blue Zoë Loveborn cardigan with its orange buttons. 

The cameo brooch I pinned to my dress is another one from my recent flea market haul, while my cardigan was proudly displaying a single orange paste gemstone in a nest of gold thread.





After lunch, we drove down to De Schorre in Boom, a Provincial domain and nature reserve at the site of yet another former clay pit.

In fact, De Schorre isn't just your run-of-the-mill place: it is the the scene for Tomorrowland, the largest Dance Music festival in the world, which takes place for two consecutive weekends in July. If the wind is right - or should that be wrong - its deep thumping basses can be heard and felt at Dove Cottage, more than eight kilometers away.



A quick trawl on the blog revealed that our last visit was almost two years ago to the day! It was in January 2022 that we first came across some of the trolls installed in the summer of 2019 in honour of Tomorrowland's 15th anniversary.

Sets of wooden steps take you from street level about 25 meters down to the bottom of the former pit, where a network of boardwalks leads you through the wetlands created by months of rain.

Soon we spotted the first of the trolls - there are a total of 7 to be discovered - sitting astride the boardwalk. This one is called Arvid and apparently she is looking for dead branches in the forest, with which she is making of works of art. 




Judging from her back view, she's been using some of those dead branches for her wild punky hairdo as well. 

Eventually the boardwalk ends at the junction with a broad path which leads to the domain's commercial heart, which has venues for parties, events and meetings. It is home to some sports clubs as well and there's a climbing and adventure tower which makes me wobbly-legged by just looking at it. We wouldn't even have ventured that far if it weren't for its sanitary facilities!



About one third of the domain is coloured in as a nature reserve, where nature has reclaimed what was rightfully hers after the brick-making industry declined and clay-digging came to a stop in the 1980s.

At the sight of such natural bounty, it is hard to imagine what it must have been like in the industry's heyday, but here's a photo to give you some idea.



On our return journey we came across another one of the trolls. This one is Hannes, who apparently loves making necklaces with wooden pearls he forages in the forest.  

On this beautiful Sunday afternoon, there were lots of families with children out and about, and it wasn't easy to photograph Hannes and me hanging out together with a constant stream of children wanting to tickle the poor giant's feet!

The trolls, by the way, were created by Danish artist Thomas Dambo using old pallets, recycled wood, broken branches and fallen trees, and they vary in height between 7 and 18 meters.



The ruined brick building Hannes is perched upon, and the elevated track on tall brick pillars, are remnants of the area's industrious past.

The fabulous graffiti artwork was added in 2023. It is called 'Formica' (which is Latin for ant) and was created by the artists of a collective called Treepack. The worker ants refer to the many workers who used to mine clay and make bricks here. 

This photo, which was made by Jos who used to live in the area, shows what it looked like in the early 1980s, before the factory closed down. 



On our way up to where we'd left our car, we spotted a third troll on the further reaches of a pool, which is of course actually a water-filled former clay pit, ruled over by a rusty dredger.

This is Mikil, who is scooping water from the pool with a bucket. There's a rather vertiginous muddy path leading down to him, which we didn't dare to attempt.  

We've still got the other three trolls to check out, which we are planning to do on a less busy and muddy day. Perhaps on a Friday in April?



We'd managed to avoid the worst of the sticky clay, but in one's hour of need there's this contraption.

Boomse kleiverwijderaar translates as remover of Boom clay ... I do wonder who those shady characters in front of it are?



Back at home, I settled myself on the sofa with my latest read, which was quite good. In fact, Anne Tyler never disappoints, and it's testimony to her talent that I finished this one in no time.



38 comments:

  1. The trolls are amazing. I had no idea of the scale of them until I saw you next - under - one of them.
    It's hard to believe that such a lovely spot used to be a brick-making facility. Nature reclaims what is her own, given time and a little help.
    I've read quite a number of Anne Tyler's books. I like her style.
    Have a good week ahead, Ann. x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janice! I've been told there are some of these trolls in Kew Gardens as well. They really are amazing! xxx

      Delete
  2. Oh dear, I saw the film adaptation of the book Elegance of the Hedgehog and the ending, yikes!
    What beautiful trolls 💕 Have a good time Ann. Greetings from Ban Krut, Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know there was a film adaptation. Now I'm not sure I want to read the book, your "yikes" has put me off :-) xxx

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the walk! Beautiful photos! Something different in light of February! Fantastic styling suggestions! Greetings from Greece! Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. its so interesting to see how a devasted industrial area has turned into a kind of wilderness that looks lush and healthy - in only a few years! that gives hope......
    hurray for chic AND cosy dresses! especially if the have such pretty prints!
    hope the tensions at your work resolve soon!!!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, it does give hope ... now if they'll stop building up every spare bit of wasteland we might eventually get somewhere! xxx

      Delete
  5. I love the blue and black outfit!! Beautifully worn by you!
    As well as both of the sweaters...
    Loving the trolls! lol SO fun!
    Have a beautiful week dear lady!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna! The trolls are fun indeed. Children as well as adults love seeking them out. It's quite an adventure! xxx

      Delete
  6. I love the trolls, how wonderful they look. But it's your zig zag velvet trousers that I covet. I love all things Missoni and they look just the (more economical) ticket. Why do I never find such gorgeous attire?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fell in love with those zig zag velvet trousers on the spot. Very Missoni indeed. I'm actually wearing them as I sit here typing! xxx

      Delete
  7. Oh wow those trolls are magnificent.
    I like the sound of The Elegance of the Hedgehog
    Hope your cough is better now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hena! Your boys would LOVE those trolls! xxx

      Delete
  8. The trolls are fabulous! I loved the ant graffiti and my goodness hasn't the area changed since Jos' s day? The fact it now has many uses is very pleasing.

    You saying you can hear the bass from the festivals in Dove Cottage made me remember my brother's ex father- in-law; who used to be our next door neighbour back in the early 1990s. He called the police one evening to say there were UFOs around; he'd spotted strange lights in the sky. It turned out that Tina Turner was in concert at Milton Keynes Bowl (about 16 miles away from where we lived) and the lights were part of the light show!

    Lovely outfits and excellent finds in the charity shop. I've read that Anne Tyler book and enjoyed it, too.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vronni! That UFO story made me chuckle. Oh dear! xxx

      Delete
  9. Thank you for taking the walk with me! The photos turned out beautifully!
    https://www.melodyjacob.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loving Arvid and her punk hair style! It's impressive how nature reclaims these former industrial sites.
    Not sure if it was accidental, but the colour tones in your hellebore bud photos beautifully mirror those of your "jammy dress." I really like this week's dark dresses with their brightly contrasting florals/abstract prints.
    I really hope any negativity in the work place disappears very soon! Take care. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arvid is my favourite! But I'm afraid the hellebore and jammy dress complimenting each other was purely accidental :-) xxx

      Delete
  11. I think that same artist built some trolls at Kew Gardens? I saw a TV programme about it. I love the milleflori dress what a great find. I'm glad to hear you are startingt o feel more yourself and truly hope the work stress passes. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're quite right, Gisela, it is the same artist indeed! xxx

      Delete
  12. Those trolls are absolutely brilliant, I love them. That stroll must have lifted those Winter blues, I feel jollier just having looked at your photos.
    I've heard of Tomorrowland. If that was near us (and we weren't trading) I think we'd camp in the garden and pretend to be there!
    Fabulous frockage especially that Think Twice midi in the first outfit photo. Great scores, those books all look excellent and that marigold jumper looks like it's printed with Martini glasses, chin chin! Jon's always buying watch straps, he hates boring black ones, too.
    Hope the atmosphere at work gets better! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess Tomorrowland would be right up your street! And now I'll never be able to unsee the Martini glasses! xxx

      Delete
  13. Oh, I am in love with the trolls! I would be visiting them regularly if I lived near there, Ann - thank you so much for sharing them.

    I love your Ralph ("not Lauren") dress - that highish neck suits you and the turquoise accents are lovely. Thank you for the Jammy Dress shout-out, my dear friend. Glad you got some new comfy loungers for Bess, I mean, for you, of course, ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll have to go back soon, as we still haven't met all the trolls. One seems to be a little tricky to get to ... xxx

      Delete
  14. It's about time that you can work one day less in a week isn't it? Those trolls are amazing, totally different then the ones on internet, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loving your dark patterned dresses. The Trolls are magnificent.
    My niece was over from Oz in 2017, she told me she was off to visit Belgium and go to Tomorrowland. She loved it and posted many pics to let me know about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People do come to Tomorrowland from all over the world, so I'm not surprised your niece came all the way from Oz! xxx

      Delete
  16. Sorry to hear that you aren't feeling great. I sometimes think these final days of grey before we get into spring are some of the hardest. It feels like winter has lasted an eternity and we just need some sunshine to brighten our disposition. I love the cornflour blue cardigan, very much a colour I'm always drawn to, and I'm always interested in a cameo too. I've toyed with the idea of collecting them before as they are so beautiful, and there's so many different types. I probably don't need to be collecting anything else though. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Louise! Cameo brooches are a lovely thing to collect though. The problem is knowing when to stop :-) xxx

      Delete
  17. The trolls are impressive!! I just don't know how artists work on such a vast scale!
    Im sorry to hear work is poisoning life somehow. I really hope it improves.
    I really like the millefiori vintage dress. So delicate and pretty and the belt is gorgeous. I also wouldn't have passed the marigold sweater.
    Your Hellebores are lovely. I contemplated buying some new Hellebores like that at the weekend as mine are v dull.
    Your outfits are gorgeous, esp the Ralph dress.
    Kezzie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kezzie! I love Hellebores and would like to get some more for Dove Cottage's garden. There are some gorgeous double flowered ones around as well ... xxx

      Delete
  18. It is so difficult when things are poisoning the days. (That is definitely a great way to put it.) I understand that all too well. I really hope the remainder of this winter season will be better to you! I have to say, that berry coloured necklace is remarkable! It is so unique and special. Oh and I love that marigold sweater. What a gorgeous colour! Ooh and new books as well! How exciting! I read a quote once that having unread books is good for your health, so I have used that as justification to always buy new books! The nature reserve looks incredible. The trolls are so fun!

    the creation of beauty is art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the thumbs up on having unread books, Shannon! I must be very healthy indeed, and I will definitely be using that excuse :-) xxx

      Delete
  19. Sorry to hear about your work-related stress, always a nightmare and so difficult to deal with it. Hope you'll feel better soon (a shorter week at work could work a miracle!).
    Lovely flower basquets dress with the green cardi and berry-colour accesories (so fab colour combo). Also lovely dark floral dress with that beautiful print on chocolate brown!, so great combo with turquoise details!, always brilliant accessorizing!.
    Always delightful to join you for a walk, and this one is particularly amazing because of the trolls! ;D
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Monica! Working a 4-day week will make all the difference, I'm sure! xxx

      Delete