Tuesday 13 August 2024

Summer outfits and an outing

As anticipated, I'm feeling a bit lost now that I've finished telling you all about our adventures in Shropshire and beyond. Writing those final lines was like a second goodbye and it really felt as if our holiday was now well and truly over. 

On the other hand, it most definitely was about time, as in less than three weeks from now another set of adventures awaits.  And obviously, I am running way behind with everything that's been happening chez Dove Cottage since my penultimate post.



It was Tuesday the 16th of July - eek, that's nearly a month ago! - and my first day back at the office after my long weekend which featured both our yearly flea market and my radiology test. After the latter's negative result, I was feeling on top of the world, so that neither the 275 emails which awaited me nor the heavy shower during my lunch break seemed to bother me much.

I was wearing one of my happy dresses too, a deckchair striped button through linen blend one found at Think Twice in August 2022. In spite of being spoilt with choice on which colour to accessorize it with, I always same to go for red, which this time was no exception. 



Even the thrifting goddesses were beaming down on me that day, as not only did I manage to escape the rain while at Think Twice, they were kind enough to send me a red tartan Courtelle blouse and a pair of tan clogs from the Swedish Moheda brand. As the shops had just started another round of their famous sales, they were mine for € 5 each.



After the high I was on on Tuesday, Wednesday was a bit of a letdown as I was having one of my bad eye days. The negative radiology test result obviously doesn't mean that my eye problem no longer exists and I keep on having good days as well as bad ones. 

It's hard to pinpoint what exactly is causing the unbalanced feeling I sometimes get as a result of the slight loss of vision in my left eye. Weather conditions, source of artificial lighting, eye strain due to too much screen time or even just due to reading a book, tiredness: they all have their role to play. More often than not, of course, it's a cocktail of likely triggers and what's worse, they tend to vary from day to day.

Anyway, let's skip Wednesday, and move straight to Thursday, when I was feeling much better and thus up to making outfit photos when I got home. The day's highs of 27°C made me pull this navy, flower-infused cotton frock from my wardrobe. It was a gift from Vix when we met up in 2019. Yet again, I have to admit to being a creature of habit by always using orange for my accessories.



After only a three-day working week, Friday and the start of another three-day weekend soon rolled along. 

It was a day of full-on sunshine and at 30°C actually much too warm for me. Nevertheless I insisted on putting away the rest of the flea market stuff, although I limited myself to just shoving them out of sight into the built-in cupboard in our bedroom.

I kept relatively cool by wafting around in my gloriously patterned green waxed cotton wrap skirt - found at Think Twice, where else, in April 2019 - combined with a black patterned top by Rhétorique, which was a recent charity shop find.



We needed to drop off a bag of donations, which we did at the charity shop in nearby Mortsel. While Jos was having a coffee in the cafeteria, I did my customary round of the rails. This only yielded a skirt, which you'll get to see me wearing later in this post. 

The jewellery display, however, more than made up for this! I'd already added two necklaces, a beaded bangle and a pendant to my basket, when my eye spied the vintage Edelweiss brooch peeking out from a box of tat. On closer inspection, there were more brooches to be found in there. Since they were all priced at € 0,50, these six set me back a total of € 3. 



Another hot day had been forecasted for Saturday, with temperatures up to 31°C. 

Desperately consulting our phone's weather app, we found out that it would be marginally cooler, with highs of about 26°C and with the added bonus of a bit of a breeze, in Middelburg, an hour away across the border in Holland. Which is why Saturday morning saw us going on a day trip abroad!



Having spent a couple of days in this lovely town in the Dutch province of Zeeland, both in 2018 and 2019, we know the town reasonably well. What's more, we know exactly where to park free of charge, in a quiet residential street near the Airbnb cottage we used to stay in.

It's only a leisurely 10-minute walk into town from here, taking us across a canal with a view towards a picturesque windmill on our right and some of the town's landmarks shimmering in the distance in front of us. The slender tower belongs to the  Lange Jan (transl. Long John), the 90,5 meter high tower belonging to the town's abbey complex which was established around 1100 by Flemish monks.

Before crossing a second canal, we passed the building the other tower belongs to. This is the Kloveniersdoelen, an impressive 17th century building now housing a cinema and a restaurant with a garden terrace.


We were now on the final stretch into the town centre. However, Jos, who's even worse with temperatures exceeding 25°C than yours truly, was in need of a sit down. Raring to explore, I left him sitting on a shady bench and walked into the direction of the Market Square.

Imagine my delight when the first thing I saw was row upon row of flea market stalls under deckchair-striped awnings. Having ascertained that they would be there all day, I made my way back to where I'd left Jos sitting on his bench.


But not before admiring the magnificent Gothic town hall which dominates the square! 

Although construction began in 1452, it wasn't completed until 1520, almost 70 years later. The impressive Gothic façade features red and white shutters, turrets and 25 statues of Zeeland's noblemen and women. 

The clock tower of the town hall is popularly known as Malle Betje (transl. Mad Beth) because its clock always chimes a few seconds after the one belonging to Lange Jan!



Reunited with Jos, it was now time for lunch, for which we sat down on the terrace of Reynaert & Co., a cosy café on the traffic free Langeviele shopping street.

The cheese sandwiches, on Italian flat bread and accompanied with oodles of vegetables, were absolutely delicious. They were washed down with non-alcoholic Affligem 0,0 beers from Belgium. We were only 30 minutes from the Belgian border after all. 



Suitably sated and refreshed, we were now ready for an adventure à deux. 

After cursory scanning the flea market stalls on the Market Square, we walked into the direction of the abbey courtyard, our aim being to walk through the atmospheric cloister passageway to the three interconnected churches which are part of the complex.


Much to our disappointment the door giving access to the cloisters was closed, so that there was nothing for it but to traipse all around the complex to the entrance at the south of the abbey. 

It was wonderfully cool inside the 14th century Koorkerk (transl. Choral Church) and the 16th century Nieuwe Kerk (transl. New Church) which are joined by a central choir called the Wandelkerk (transl. Walking Church). 



We briefly strolled through the cloisters, which thankfully could be entered from here, making use of the tranquillity of the courtyard leading off them for outfit photos. 

I was wearing the skirt I'd charity shopped on Friday. It's from an Antwerp based label called Black Rose.  My label-less t-shirt top was a charity shop find too. I thought its funky print worked well with that of the skirt. The stretchy belt with its leopard print buckle was picked up in the Summer sales on the high street.



By the time we'd visited the picturesque cobbled Kuiperspoort (above, top right) built by the coopers guild between 1586 and 1642, walked through the Reigerstraat known for its seasonal decorations (bottom right) and marvelled at the colourful cheeses and typical Dutch clogs which were being  sold on the market, we were tired on our feet. 

In need of a sit-down and some sustenance, we made a bee-line for our favourite tearoom in town, the wonderful Wooncafé. Situated in Segeerstraat, which leads off the town's main shopping street, they've got the most delicious home-made cakes on the menu.





Passing the Market Square on our way back, I left Jos once again sitting in the shade, while I did a final round of the flea market. 

Priced at a reasonable € 3 and € 3,50, I selected these four to come back to Belgium with me. I've already got the swallow in grey and grey and white, while the pink-rimmed floral one is joining its blue rimmed sister in my collection.



I was recently asked by Veronica how large my brooch collection has grown in the meantime. As counting them seems to be verging on the impossible, I can only take a rough guess, but I'm sure I've got at least 900 of them by now. No chance of running out of storage space any time soon, though: I've still got a whole stack of those shallow drawers from Jos's friend.

We had one more drink before setting off for home, enjoying glasses of amber coloured La Trappe Nillis beer, which rightly claims to be the first non-alcoholic Trappist beer in the world. Definitely worth a try if you've got the chance!

I'll be back with a final July catch-up in a couple of days. See you soon!



38 comments:

  1. Your patterned wrap skirt made of green waxed cotton with the black patterned top is a hit. Super nice including ring and chain. I like it too :-))))
    I was in Zeeland for two weeks... it was so beautiful there... we had a sports holiday and it was a long time ago. What do you think - Sport in Zeeland. We were active divers back then... ha... it's great to glide through the water so weightlessly.
    Gorgeous photos. The town hall, great.
    Thank you Ann.
    A warm greeting to you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Viola! Zeeland is very beautiful indeed. How amazing that you were active divers. I can't imagine what it feels like ... xxx

      Delete
  2. Ann, my lovely, I am so sorry I have been so remiss in visiting to your blog and sorry to hear I missed out on knowing you were going for a radiology appointment. I am glad that is all clear but very sorry to hear about the ongoing issues and the disconcerting nature of the eye difficulties!
    You may always add the same accessories to both of those (gorgeous)dresses but if it works, why change it?! I love the Vix dress styling.
    You did well on those clogs!
    It was exciting to see your foreign adventure! Well done on your finds in the flea market.
    Jos is a bit like CBC- not so good in the heat! I have been mainly coweering in the house in the intense heat this past week!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's really no need to apologize my lovely friend. Thank you so much for your lovely words <3 I have to confess to mainly cowering inside when it's hot as well :-) xxx

      Delete
  3. So many lovely outfits.. the blue and orange is my fav!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Middleburg is wonderful. We love to visit, when we stay in Yerseke you know. 💕
    You look gorgeous in this blue dress, Ann. Now you can wear your summer dresses. 😉 A huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina, I'm glad to read you love Middelburg too! xxx

      Delete
  5. This was most colourful and entertaining. You really do live in a beautiful part of the world.
    I love the additions to your brooch collection and swoon over your green skirt.
    I sympathise with you and Jos - any temperature over 24 is too much for me, so 32 a couple of days ago was not welcome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice, I don't think we appreciate enough what a beautiful part of the world we live in! xxx

      Delete
  6. Beautiful outfits! Gorgeous patterns and colours.
    I'm sorry to hear that your eye problems persist. Try to avoid straining your eyes as much as you can.
    It's lovely to travel alongside you and Jos to the Dutch province of Zeeland and to see those lovely sights...the Gothic church is stunning.
    If high temperatures bother one, it's better to sit down and not to push oneself...and then continue with sightseeing when one feels more rested.
    900 brooches is a lovely collection! Maybe you can show all of them to us some day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivana! I'll definitely have to work on a blog post (or two) featuring my collection! xxx

      Delete
  7. What a delightfully entertaining read this was. The Dutch town looks really charming and so interesting. How lucky that it is just a short drive for you. Love the buildings so much. The church is fab too. Good finds from the market, wow, 900 brooches! Such a collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carole! We did fall in love with Middelburg when we stayed in an airbnb there a couple of years ago! xxx

      Delete
  8. I'm loving the first outfit...the striped one! SO pretty on you!
    The food looks delicious...especially, the cheesecake? Yummm!!
    Happy Wednesday!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna, and you're right, it was cheesecake, and very delicious it was too! xxx

      Delete
  9. pretty summer dresses and maxi skirts!
    i´m always eyeballing swedish clogs - but they are poison for my knees.........
    thanks for taking me sightseeing - the gothic architecture ist just stunning.
    hugs & cheers - i´m drinking pilsner urquell for the evening - from czechia of cause - and with % :-D
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beate, and I hope you enjoyed your % pilsner urquell :-) No alcohol for us, though ... xxx

      Delete
  10. Although it was pretty warm, you had fabulous weather in Middelburg. Better then a rainy day. I only been twice in Zeeland. Never to Middelburg though. Yeah your brooche collection must be the largest one in blogland, or any land! I hoped to see you in the dress I also own. But of course these outfits never fail to admire. Especially the dress you got from Vix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Middelburg is definitely worth a visit. I found a nice shop selling King Louie and the like. They also stocked the brand "our" dress is from :-) xxx

      Delete
  11. I'm loving your new posing location in the kitchen!
    I'm sorry to hear that your eye has been troublesome. Hopefully it remains only an occasional occurrence.
    Wonderful outfits as ever. The dress from Vix suits you well and fits like a dream!
    How lucky for you that a trip abroad is just an hour away. Middelburg looks lovely! Gothic architecture, cafe culture and a flea market...what else could you possibly need? Maybe just a few more brooches...:-D xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear you love the new posing location. I hope we can use it in Winter as well, perhaps with a ring light. We'll have to experiment ... xxx

      Delete

  12. There was a lot going on with you.
    I'm sorry you're having problems with your eye.
    You have a nice wardrobe. The patterned Black Rose skirt is great. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I've got glaucoma, so the eye problem won't go away, but some days are better than others ... xxx

      Delete
  13. Having good days...then a bad day...must be so frustrating, Ann! Saw you in Nancy's round-up - lovely dress - but I'm not able to comment on her posts! Arg, technology.

    You and brooches! I think they deserve their own coffee table book, so we can browse through and look at them all! Wonderful outfits, amazing photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila, it is rather frustrating indeed. I'm having a string of good eye days right now, but then again I've just had a holiday ... xxx

      Delete
  14. Deine Outfits passen wirklich perfekt zu jeder Location und der Schmuck ist einfach nur wunderschön. LG Romy

    ReplyDelete
  15. My goodness - 900 brooches! You should make an entry in the Guinness Book of Records! All the brooches you find are fabulous; you really have your brooch radar turned up to maximum!

    Lovely outfits; I loved the green floral skirt and the most recent acquisition. Great finds in the chazza. I have similar shoes to the clogs you found but not with wooden soles and lower heels; they're very comfortable.

    Middelburg looks like a fantastic place to visit; wonderful buildings and the food looked delicious.

    So glad the radiology test was negative and I suppose the eye problem is something you have to learn to live with? Thank goodness for good days, too.

    Stay cool!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vronni! I'm sure there are larger brooch collections than mine :-) And yes, I'm afraid my eye problem is something I've got to learn to live with ... xxx

      Delete
  16. I completely understand what you mean about "a second goodbye." That is something that I feel from time to time after I have finished writing about something special! On the plus side, you can always look back at those posts and remember the wonderful times that you had. I am so glad there was a negative result and you were able to feel that sense of relief....one that even 275 emails cannot disrupt! I just love that you have happy dresses. It is so beautiful. I am so sorry that the eye problems continue and there are difficult days. I hope there are more good days than bad days <3 And WOW I just have to say that the navy flower infused dress looks like it was designed just for you. You look absolutely stunning! I think the orange accessories were the perfect choice. You always visit the most beautiful places. I love looking at all of the photos! The fact that you have so many brooches makes me very happy indeed. You must have the best collection on the planet!

    the creation of beauty is art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Shannon, you are too kind. I just love looking back at my travel posts, which is something I often do, particularly in the run-up to another holiday! xxx

      Delete
  17. Goodness me, I can't believe it was 5 years since I gave you that dress, it looks so good on!
    900 brooches? That's incredible. I wonder if you ever forget what you've already got and buy something almost identical like we do with records?!
    How much fun to nip across the border and enjoy beautiful Zeeland for a day, it looks so interesting, very fairytale-like. Those cheese sandwiches are making my mouth water!
    Your eye problem sounds very trying indeed, I hope you mange to get it under control eventually. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I know, I've never bought the same brooch twice, unless I find something I know I've already got at a silly price ... I have done so with both books and records though :-) xxx

      Delete
  18. I do hope they are able to get your eye problems under control soon. I've really enjoyed this post, what a wonderful day out. I would not have been able to resist the cheese!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gisela, the eye problem is something I've got to learn and live with. As for those cheeses, I'm sure you couldn't have resisted sampling them all :-) xxx

      Delete
  19. What a lovely bunch of outfits and so delightful excursion!.
    Love that striped dress with red details, so summery colour combo!. Great idea to start at the office wearing a fav dress (totally hear you on those hundreds of emails waiting for you!).
    Love that floral dress from Vix, such a beautiful piece and fab accesories!. And love both maxi skirts, the one with the birds print is fantastic and the geometric one totally fab too (such a great find!).
    Thanks for those fab pics of your excursion!, really great place to go for a walk!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Monica! Wearing a favourite dress makes everything better, including going through hundreds of emails :-) xxx

      Delete