Thursday 1 August 2024

July's ups and downs

Apologies to those of you who have come here expecting to see another installment of my travelogue!

I'm putting the final couple of days of our holiday on the back burner for now in favour of a another July catch-up. After all, I'd barely even scratched the month's surface in my penultimate post.

Ok, I admit: I'm procrastinating, as I'm fully expecting to feel somewhat bereft once it's all done.

So, into the time machine we go, setting the controls for Saturday the 6th of July!



The day's mix of grey skies and sunny spells, with highs of around 23°C, provided the perfect conditions for wearing this vintage puff-sleeved dress patterned with red swirls and dots.

For all intents and purposes it should have taken pride of place on my flea market rail if Inez hadn't persuaded me to at least give it another go. So I wasted no time in wearing it right away to decide upon its fate and I'm happy to say that it's back in my wardrobe. A Regret-me-Not, as Sheila would say.


I opted for black as the main colour for my accessories, which included a vintage black and pearly grey geometrical brooch. One of the oldest in my collection in terms of ownership, my memory draws a blank as to its origins. 


Although still a tiny bit wary, Bess had sufficiently recovered from her ironing board trauma to insist on making up for lost lap-time ... and making sure to let us know who is boss by attacking Jos's denim jacket, which he'd left lying on the bed!




I spent the morning pricing the rest of the clothes for the flea market. As you can see there was quite a lot of stuff to go through.

Then I walked into town to run an errand and go for a browse at bargain shop Zeeman, where I found a pink stretchy belt for my burgeoning collection.



We were treated to grey skies once more on Sunday, and as the day's highs of  20°C came accompanied with a blustery wind I felt the need to add a lightweight three-quarter sleeved cardigan to my outfit.

The skirt with its palms and waterlilies print is by Belgian designer Nathalie Vleeschouwer. It came to me by way of a charity shop in March 2021. The necklace, green suede ankle boots and pink and white 1980s cap-sleeved jumper were charity shopped as well, while the enamelled brooch I pinned to my cardigan was a flea market find. Only the belt was bought brand new on the high street.



After a morning of aimless pottering, we took the car and drove to the massive garden centre at the edge of town. Although they obviously stock lots of plants, these do tend to take a backseat compared to the mind-boggling array of mostly overpriced and often tacky decorations. We generally avoid it like the plague but were in need of an outdoor carpet to spruce up our flea market stall, which I'm pleased to say we found at a surprisingly affordable price.



Monday saw a continuation of Sunday's weather, and consequently I decided to repeat its outfit as well.

The run-of-the-mill and rather quiet-ish office day was pleasantly interrupted by a cappuccino-fuelled catch-up with Inez at the Think Twice coffee shop. Such is our friendship that, even though we'd only seen each other on Friday, we still found lots to talk about. 

In order to limit our caffeine intake, and because it would have been silly not to, we did a quick round of the shop. I didn't leave it empty-handed either, finding a floral Diolen frock and a huge scarf with the funkiest of patterns.

The dotty cobalt blue, orange and white dress also came from Think Twice. I found it during one of my lunch breaks the other week, but forgot to show it to you. I've also included the pink stretchy belt from Zeeman for good measure!



If we had a chilly start to the day on Tuesday, the mercury had climbed to a sweltering 30°C by lunch time, only to make a nosedive again after a massive thunderstorm with some gale-force winds in the early evening. Thankfully, it was only short-lived and no damages were sustained, which unfortunately wasn't the case elsewhere in Belgium, and not all that far from Dove Cottage either!

Due to the stormy weather conditions and the premature darkness, no outfit photos were taken. Nor did we take any on Wednesday, even if it was for completely different reasons.



A visit to my GP that morning had somewhat knocked me for six. As suggested by my ophthalmologist I needed to get a radiology referral from my GP. As there's quite a big difference between both eyes, the Low-Tension Glaucoma limiting itself to my left eye for the time being, we needed to make sure that there wasn't any blockage of the carotid arteries in my neck. If there was, I would need surgery, which I wasn't exactly looking forward to. Anyway, an appointment with a local radiologist was scheduled for Monday the 15th.

Although I wouldn't be able to put things out of my mind until after the test, I was feeling somewhat better on Thursday, when I was wearing a vintage dress I'd picked up in Shrewsbury in June. Oops, I've just realized I've still got to tell you all about it in that elusive final episode of the travelogue!



Then Friday, and an extra long weekend rolled along, as I'd taken Monday off as well. 

With our flea market coming up on Sunday, we kept an eye on the weather forecast, which had been insisting all week that it would be a dry and warm-ish day. Obviously, we were more than just a bit sceptical about this, particularly as it rained quite heavily all day on Friday.

With a woeful look at my rail of Summer frocks, I decided they were a definite no-no, as the mercury climbed to only 16°C.


What did make it out of my wardrobe was this red, white and blue combo. The skirt is vintage and was a Think Twice sales bargain back in March 2023, while the blouse, which is Morris & Co x H&M, was charity shopped in June 2022. They were happily married by the the blue stretchy belt with its Celtic knot buckle, which I picked up from an outlet shop last Autumn.

My necklace and brooch were either charity shop or flea market finds. Although my memory fails me again here, I know exactly where I found the shoes, which was in a charity shop in Ypres during one of our September sojourns in Belgium's west country. I'd forgotten all about them until they leapt at me while preparing for the flea market.

The ring, which was a fast fashion buy, is a bit of an oddity, with dried flowers encased in clear plastic.



The rain had upped and left on Saturday, but had left a dull and overcast day in its wake, its highs of around 17°C still not much to write home about.

We did some final flea market prep, after which I joined Bess on the sofa with my current read.

Oh, and I wore one of my favourite Diolen frocks, featuring a white, light green, yellow and pink floral print on a teal background. I made use of most of the print's colours for my accessories, which included a yellow beaded necklace I'd snatched from the flea market stock as it matched the colour of my belt almost exactly.



And then Sunday the 14th of July dawned. As our street was already a hive of activity at 6 am, you can take this quite literally. Contrary to most of the other stall holders, we just needed to step out of our front door, so we took our time getting ready and only started setting up our stall at 8 am.

Inez joined us around 9 am, by which time I'd already made my first sale to a Dutch lady who bought all my remaining vintage Barbie clothing sets and a couple of frocks.




The day brought a mixture of sunshine and clouds, but thankfully mostly the former, with the temperature a perfect 23°C. 

My best client, a vintage-loving lady called Patricia who lives in the village, came and bought armfuls  of stuff as usual.

We also had a visit from Jos's daughter An, bringing along her friend Sofie, who recognized me from the tram and fell head over heels with our kitchen. 

It was a fun day and we sold a reasonable amount of stuff, but somehow my heart wasn't in it as I was worrying about Monday's radiology appointment. By now, of course, I was convinced something was wrong ...


Both wearing colourful vintage dresses, Inez and I were living advertisements for the clothes on our stall and we were regularly complemented by would-be punters and mere passers-by alike.

My maxi dress was charity shopped in June 2022 and accompanied me to Shropshire later that month, where I wore for a day at Attingham Park. I thought it was time it came out of the closet again.



Obviously I went for a quick round of the stalls as well, finding this new-to-me grooviliciously patterned maxi dress. I also picked up a vintage cotton frock for a pittance, which you'll get to see once I've fixed its issues, as well as some cards of vintage buttons. 

We weren't the only ones who were exhausted at the end of the day. What with all the comings and goings of the day, Bess again spent most of it hiding under the sofa again, but was quick to re-join us once the dust had settled.




We were lucky to be able to sleep in on Monday, although for obvious reasons I'd lain awake for hours that night worrying about the test.

As the appointment was for 3.30 pm only, I needed to keep myself busy to take my mind off things. This I did by putting away most of remaining flea market stuff and filling another bag for charity.

At 25°C, it was a warm and humid day, culminating in a thunderstorm late afternoon. By then I'd had my ultrasound at the radiologist, and was reassured that all was OK! I'm sure you can imagine my relief!



I'm ending this post with a look at what I was wearing, starting with a big smile upon my face.

My button-through cotton flower patterned and rick-rack trimmed skirt was an old Think Twice find, with the belt, cat brooch and top charity shopped, the latter from a shop in Ludlow in June 2019.

I'll be back with the final episode of my travelogue in a couple of days. See you soon!



42 comments:

  1. i´m very happy that the ultrasound showed an *all is OK"!!!
    totally understand your worries - the BW has to go yearly.......
    the "candy dress" at the top is totally pretty - inez was right. and i love the vintage blue/white shoes!
    i´m impressed with your fleamarket stall and that you sold quite something..... congrats! and you found a cool dress in the neighborhood :-D
    hugs! xxx
    ps: cuddles for bess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beate, and cuddles back to Lisbet! xxx

      Delete
  2. I was very relieved to hear that your ultrasound check was fine. I know only too well how thoughts can spiral...
    So many colourful clothes! I particularly like the dress you wore on flea market day, the groovy maxi you picked up and of course, the cat brooch accessorising your last outfit.
    The photo of Bess attacking Jos's denim jacket made me chuckle. I love it when cats make mischief! xxx
    P.S We were supposed to have storms yesterday, but we seem to have escaped them. The sun is still shining!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claire! I'm an expert at those spiralling thoughts :-) xxx

      Delete
  3. I'm glad all went well with the radiologist. It's very unsettling having something like that hanging over you. A late appointment makes it feel as though the whole day has been wasted, waiting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janice, I much prefer an early morning appointment ... xxx

      Delete
  4. You must be very relieved after the test. Now on to new adventures! I just came back from bringing stuff to the thrift store. It’s always good to make room and simplify.

    All the best. xxx Regula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Regula, I was very relieved indeed! xxx

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness Ann, I have that dress! https://nancysfashionstyle.com/psychedelic-or-70s-print-dress-fancy-friday-linkup/

    See what you wrote! I think I would have spend so long at your stall, so many fabulous items.

    I'm glad everything was okay, indeed a relief. Its so worrying when you need to do such things, it stresses me out. But now you can enjoy August and enjoy a empty closet, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy! My closet will never be empty though if I keep on buying stuff. And imagine us being dress twins! xxx

      Delete
  6. Hello Ann, so very pleased to hear that your radiology appointment resulted in a clear for you. Good news.
    Great clothes in this post. Your stall looked so colourful and very tempting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carole, I was so relieved to get the all-clear! xxx

      Delete
  7. I'm so pleased the ultra sound scan showed everything was okay - what a relief.

    Fabulous outfits and wonderful accessories; I love how you co ordinate your outfits but my absolute favourite was the maxi dress you wore for the flea market; what a magnificent find. I also loved the maxi you found with the fleur de lis.

    I've realised from seeing the photo of your flea market stall outside your house (what a long commute you had!) that it's the same as our street jumble trails. To my knowledge 2 of the areas in Bedford hold them once a year; Black Tom and Castle Road. I wish there were more! Your stall looked packed with goodies, too.

    Bess sitting on Jos' jacket so proprietorially looks like Rain sitting on OH's fleece!

    Hope you have a good week.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vronni! These "street markets" are a regular thing here in Belgium, particularly during the Summer months! xxx

      Delete
  8. So many beautiful outfits! The dress with the red dots (spiral red dots) has got such an original and lively pattern. I also like how you accessorized it. The midi dress is very nice...and the blue one is so pretty.

    The photo with the Bess is adorable. Maybe she was trying to cheer you up sensing you might be worried about the doctor appointment? Animals can be wonderfully sensitive to such things and offer comfort when we don't expect it. Cats, in particular. They play tough, but are often softies inside! Funny photo of Bess attacking Jos' denim shirt/jacket. :)

    How neat you are with packing and preparing things for the sale. Everything looks so organized and neat. I have no gift for sorting things out. Well, maybe it's not a gift, maybe I just need to practice. Fun to see photos from the sale. How lucky that it is right outside your door. Makes transport so much easier. I wish we had something like it! I bet people would sell and buy so many interesting stuff. We really don't have a lot of charity shops or open yard sales here. There are some open bazars where people sell used stuff and all kinds of things, but they are usually outside of the town. There is usually at least one stand with interesting or vintage things at any bazar or market, though.

    Yes, GP visits often end up with scheduling different appointments and seeing multiple doctors. I can understand your relief when the scan came alright. Just the other day when I saw my doctor because I had to visit the ER, she basically told me that it's only a matter of time before I have to get another surgery. Not what I want to hear. Surgery is rarely something to look forward to, even if at times it's really necessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivana! I am known for being well organized :-) Hopefully you won't need surgery! xxx

      Delete
  9. I enjoy looking at your beautiful colorful jewelry, you have a great collection. Jewelry complements outfits in a wonderful way.

    Wish you a pleasant weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I do love my accessories! xxx

      Delete
  10. There is nothing wrong with a little procrastination! Once a trip is all documented and the photos are all posted, it finally starts to feel over. So take your time and post more when you are ready! I love that vintage puff sleeved dress. It is so gorgeous! I'm glad Bess is making up for lost time with lots of snuggles, but I am sorry to hear about the denim jacket! How excellent that you were able to find an outdoor carpet for the flea market stall. It is wonderful that you have such a close friendship with Inez that you don't run out of things to talk about. What a blessing! Oh my goodness, understandable that you were feeling worried about the radiologist appointment. It is so hard waiting for things like that. It seems to take over every thought! I am so glad that the appointment went well. What a relief! Phew. I am so glad to hear that!

    the creation of beauty is art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shannon! My friendship with Inez goes way back to when we were colleagues many years ago! xxx

      Delete
  11. I am so pleased that all was well after your scan , always a worrying time.
    I am in awe of your colourful Summer dresses . I remember your annual street stall , this is such a good idea but sadly doesn't happen here. Well done on parting with some no longer treasures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jill! The street market is a lot of hard work but it's a nice way to part with stuff. xxx

      Delete
  12. Thank goodness all was well with your scan, I can only imagine how scary it must have been looming on the horizon
    I'm delighted that your sales went well, you and Inez couldn't have been better adverts for vintage clothing and i'm glad your regular lady showed up.
    Those outdoor rugs are just brilliant, aren't they?
    Fantastic outfits as always. I absolutely love the maxi dress you bought in 2022, the puffed shoulders are divine.
    Bess is so naughty attacking Jos's jacket, she's such a fiesty girl! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix! Yes, Bess is a feisty girl and definitely knows what she wants! And usually what she wants, she gets!
      I love it that my regular lady lives in the village. She's usually wearing one of my things when I meet her :-) xxx

      Delete
  13. I'm SO happy your scan was negative!! Wonderful news!!
    Loving the grey and black outfit...and the pink one!!
    And I love your little Bess...So Sweet!!!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Donna! Bess is definitely sweet, but feisty too. A little bit like Sloane, I think :-) xxx

      Delete
  14. Black is always a good idea :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, although I don't often wear black :-) xxx

      Delete
  15. I'm so happy for you that your exam went well and you are going to be OK. Vision stuff can be scary. Also that wild weather-we saw it on the news here. Glad you were spared.
    And another successful sale this year. Congratulations. Beautiful outfits, but my favourite this time was the first, in red. You do look so good in red!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Goody! I'm sure your weather was much wilder than ours, though :-) xxx

      Delete
  16. Argh, blogger. That was me (Goody) at 00:46

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love all the bright colours and patterns you wear. I'm another one who likes to buy through the second hand route...strong patterns and colours are what draws me. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aril! I'll always choose second hand first! xxx

      Delete
  18. The outfit with the two-color lace up shoes is perfect! I love how everything is interesting and yet it all works together. You look great. The maxi you wore for your sale is terrific as well. You and Inez were “goals” for any shoppers. I am glad you received good medical news. The worrying is SO HARD to handle. Thanks for the lovely post. Olivia in the PNW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your lovely comment Olivia! xxx

      Delete
  19. Oh, that is good news, Ann! So glad you don't have to have surgery! And didn't you do well with your stall?? I love the dress you wore and that wonderful printed one you bought. I also noticed your navy/cream shoes right away - I love them!

    Poor Bess, so beset upon, hee hee! First the ironing board, and now this disruption with the sales right outside (how dare you!). I'm so glad she was able to vent on Jos' jacket! I regularly put one of L's worn pieces of clothing on the bed - Vizzini loves sleeping on them (especially if I've told him not to ).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila! Cats, eh, do they ever listen? xxx

      Delete
  20. what a relief that everything is ok!, totally understand you were worried for days!. Good news!.
    And so delightful to see your outfits and your gorgeous stall, really inspiring (and I'm in need of some inspiration these damn hot days!). Glad that you kept that red spirals dress, so cute (and Bess also approved!). Lovely waterlilies skirt with pink and green, so beautiful ensemble and fab accessories!. And you look particularly fabulous in your Diolen teal dress with yellow accessories, totally understand it's a favourite one!. I'm also in love with that maxidress you wore on Sunday, looking gorgeous in that pic with your friend, so lovely!. And I'm admiring your stall!, so colourful and delightful pieces and so great idea to add that carpet to display more fab stuff!.
    Looking forward to seeing those fab finds 'in action' soon!.
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica! That maxi dress I wore for the flea market definitely is one of my favourite finds ever! xxx

      Delete
  21. I'm so gald to hear your results were clear what a relief for you. It looks like you had a great sale day too what do you plan to get with the money you made form your sales?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid I already spent the money, buying more stuff from Think Twice :-) xxx

      Delete
  22. It sounds like you've had a busy July and are making the most of your time before diving back into the final days of your holiday travelogue. I love how you brought your vintage puff-sleeved dress back to life—sometimes all it takes is a little encouragement to rediscover a hidden gem in our wardrobes. The black accessories must have added a chic touch to the red swirls and dots. Looking forward to hearing more about your adventures when you're ready!

    I'm excited to share my latest blog post with you! I’d love for you to give it a read and share your thoughts. Thank you https://www.melodyjacob.com/2024/08/protected-by-grace-testimony-of-trust-and-gratitude.html

    ReplyDelete