Thursday 16 November 2023

Forsaken fortress

What with the never-ending rain card we have been dealt of late, throwing a spanner or two in the works on most weekends, there really hasn't been a lot going on in my life.

So, our hearts were making little leaps of joy when, quite unexpectedly, it was mostly dry on Saturday the 28th of October. The sun even got the odd look-in throughout the day and the mercury climbed to a more than reasonable 15°C. Never mind that, as a rehearsal for Storm Ciarán which would pay us an unwanted visit later that week, we had to contend with gusts of blustery wind from mid-afternoon onwards.


But whatever the weather, it's always a joy to play dress-up, and especially so during the weekend, when I've got time on my hands to play around with my wardrobe.

I had been looking forward to wearing this green zig-zaggy acrylic and polyester blend skirt, which was a present from Vix when we met up back in June. It's vintage St. Michael, the label narrowing it down to the 1970s according to this recently discovered and very helpful website.



The skirt is the only vintage item in this outfit, which does, however, include another gift: the chunky green ring, which I got from Claire during the same meet-up. 

My necklace with its mix of wooden and raffia beads was a charity shop find, as were the dark green textured leather belt and the red ankle boots. The green beaded brooch was picked up from the indoor flea market in Mechelen in January.

Finally, my blouse was a bargainous retail buy from an outlet shop in November 2022. It's from the funky Belgian Who's That Girl label. 


After our usual fruit & yoghurt breakfast, I culled my collection of cardigans, only leaving the King Louie, Zoë Loveborn and any other similar quality ones, which I then reorganized by colour so that I can see what I've got at a glance.

Then, after lunch, we drove to the local branch of C&A as Jos was in need of a Winter coat. Keeping an open mind, his only requirement had been a decent number of inside pockets. As luck would have it, we soon found the perfect one: a black knee-length wool coat, which you'll get to see him wearing soon. While we were there, I also talked him into buying two pairs of slim fit trousers and a belt.

Afterwards, we continued to the edge-of-town charity shop for my rummaging fix. Here, my first find was a blue, psychedelically patterned, handmade cotton midi skirt, which is currently hibernating until Spring.



I also added to my burgeoning collection of belts with a brown pleated leather one, which turned out to be by Spanish label Massimo Dutti, and which originally retailed at just under € 50. Another stretchy belt, with a rectangular wooden buckle, ended up in my basket as well. I paid the fixed price for belts - which is € 2,50 in this particular chain of shops - for both!

Finally, I caught sight of this gorgeous cobalt blue cotton maxi dress with crocheted insets, which was among the rail of leftovers from the infamous Day of the Charity Shops which had taken place the previous week. I did a double-take when I saw lingerie mentioned on the label. Surely this is too good to be a used as a nightdress?



After a night of  torrential rain accompanied by another round of blustery wind, we woke up to a dry, bright and sunny morning on Sunday. Again, highs of about 15°C had been forecasted, but yet more rain was expected in the afternoon.

Layering weather! My wardrobe contains a handful or two of short-sleeved knit dresses which come into their own at this time of year, so out came this bottle green one sprinkled with hundreds-and-thousands in a multitude of colours.


I'm in two minds about whether it was a charity shop or Think Twice find, but whatever the case, it came without a label, so that I had no idea of its origins. That is, until I came across the exact same dress a couple of years later, this time bearing a Wow To Go label. Wow To Go, by the way, is owned by the same company as the previously mentioned Who's That Girl, supposedly aimed at a slightly older audience. Not that I care one jot!



Its companions that day were a teal long-sleeved t-shirt and ditto opaques, while I piled on fuchsia accessories in the form of a chunky leather belt (retail), perspex ring (flea market) and recently charity shopped necklace. 

My embroidered brooch was part of a haul from an antiques emporium in Carmarthen, found on a rainy June day in 2017. 

The burgundy boots are vintage and came from Think Twice.

We'd changed to Winter Time overnight, which had made us feel a bit out of sorts that day. What we needed was a good old head-clearing walk so, with one eye on our phone's weather app, we drove down to Fort 5 in the neighbouring village of Edegem for an Autumnal ramble.




Fort 5 is part of a ring of 8 almost identical forts surrounding the city of Antwerp, built in the 1860s to protect the city from enemy fire. These forts, given the unimaginative names of Fort 1 up until Fort 8, were built about 2,5 km outside the city and about 2 km apart. Each of these was about 30 hectares and consisted of a central reduit, caponiers, platforms and earthen walls for artillery, all surrounded by a wide moat. Most of these have long ago been converted into nature reserves and recreational spaces. 

Not all that far from a busy road, it is a haven of peace and quiet - that is, if you disregard the playground, which on this late October Sunday was deserted - and a habitat for plenty of wildlife.

A blanket of green algae was covering the moat as far as the eye could see, but it didn't seem to bother the heron perched on a branch which had toppled into the water. 



There's a narrow footpath which circumnavigates the moat, but we veered off to the left instead, walking past the playground where we briefly stopped to show you my outerwear.

This consisted of the rather fabulous Desigual coat I found at Oxfam last Winter, my pink beret and a frilly pink scarf charity shopped in October 2019.



Continuing our walk, we soon came across a part of the old fort: a long row of low brick and sandstone buildings half-hidden among the undergrowth, its woodwork in various stages of dereliction.

We passed but ignored the fort's main entrance which leads you inside its creepily atmospheric inner sanctum, opting for a slightly longer walk instead.



Walking past the row of buildings and rounding a corner, we eventually re-joined the path running along the moat. 

The water was clearer here, with just the odd patch of green, and it seemed to be the place to be for the resident waterbirds of various plumage, including several prehistoric-looking cormorants and a magnificent blue heron.



The narrow winding path eventually takes you through a low tunnel where the fort bridges the moat. Here, even vertically challenged yours truly had to duck her head at one point.



At the end of the tunnel lies a series of heavily graffitied rooms where daylight slants through paneless windows, some of them still holding on to their weathered wooden frames or shutters. 

There are the remains of a fireplace in some of them, and time-battered electrical fittings. The eerie light in the room on the bottom left was courtesy of some translucent green foil which had been fixed to the ancient fluorescent tube. Would this be the scene of a spooky party, I wonder. We were, after all, just a couple of days short of Hallowe'en ...

Haphazard heaps of wind-blown leaves were gathered in corners and a not entirely unpleasant smell of dampness and decay was lingering in the air.

Another tunnel, with light at its end, leads off from the final room, emerging onto the moat side path once more.



As always when we walk here, my thoughts go out to my Dad, part of whose playground this was when he grew up in the village. It's also where his ashes have been laid to rest seven years ago on All Saints' Day, the First of November 2016.

We had come full circle by now, and about time too, as the sky was turning granite grey and it looked as if yet more showers were waiting in the wings.

And now, friends and readers, I'll be off the radar for a couple of days, as we are preparing for a long weekend away. I'm not holding out too much hope that it'll be a dry one, but who knows, once in a while miracles do happen.

See you on the other side!



37 comments:

  1. How wonderful that there was a bit of sun at the end of October! It's a shame about all of the wind, though. I just love that first outfit. The mix of prints is perfection. You are a master! It's great that you were able to find a coat for Jos that met the requirements. I love the belts you found, especially the stretchy one with the rectangular buckle. What a gorgeous and unique find! I love your embroidered brooch as well. I love that you always walk around the most beautiful and interesting places. I enjoy living vicariously! Have a wonderful long weekend away. Can't wait to hear all about it <3

    the creation of beauty is art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. its so good to go for a walk - even in wet weather.... and if there is a fortress to explore - the better!
    the blue nighty is fab as a dress - and nobody will know if you don´t tell :-D
    have fun at your weekend away!! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beate, and you're right, nobody will notice :-) xxx

      Delete
  3. I enjoy your walks with you! We spend a lot of time by the sea the last few days in Rye. So good. In the national park where we always walk, in Arnhem, we buried my father's ashes. So it always reminds me of my dad too when we are there. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy! It's a wonderful way to remember one's loved ones, isn't it? xxx

      Delete
  4. I love the blue skirt - such a beautiful shade, and the embroidered brooch is so sweet.
    I hope your weekend away is fun and the weather is kind. x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janice! I love my embroidered brooches. They definitely don't make them like that anymore! xxx

      Delete
  5. Loving the pink and black outfit! So pretty...Have a wonderful few days away!!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Donna! Our few days away were lovely even if the weather didn't cooperate! xxx

      Delete
  6. Fort 5 sounds like an episode of Star Trek - but as a non-Trekkie looks a lot more interesting! The collage with the archways is absolutely stunning, I could pore over it for hours!
    That St Michael skirt looks fantastic on you, love it with the retro shirt and red boots. What a great link for ageing M&S gear, too! The pink teamed with teal is an inspiring colour combo.
    If only you lived nearer, Jos could have browed our huge stock of vintage gents coats. I'm glad C&A came to the rescue. I'm not sure where Jon would look if he needed a coat, the only clothes shops left in Walsall are Primark and New Look and I think he'd prefer to dress in rags than set foot in either!
    Have an absolutely brilliant break! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix! C&A is Jos's go-to shop when he needs something new and he can't find what he's looking for in the chazzas. They're quite good quality too! xxx

      Delete
  7. Hope you have a lovely time away. keep warm and dry if you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jean! We didn't manage to stay dry though :-)

      Delete
  8. I like the blue Maxidress Ann. I can't understand why it's a nightgown? Lingerie?! 😁
    with a huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina! I know, it's much too good to be a nightdress surely! xxx

      Delete
  9. Stunning outfits as ever Ann. How fortunate that my gift matches the skirt from Vix so well. I love the pink top too! Thank you also for sharing that web link...it's helped me to get more accurate date on my St Michael maxi skirt.
    The fortresses and tunnels are absolutely fascinating (and it's much better to remember loved ones in their favourite places in my humble opinion). I'm guessing the local urbex photographers are frequent visitors to that area!
    Looking forward to reading about your long weekend away. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Claire, and you're welcome. I'll have to go through all my vintage St Michael stuff so that I can date them properly. xxx

      Delete
  10. What a lovely zig zag skirt! Perfect gift from Vix. I love the top as well.
    Wonderful layering in the second outfit.
    Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your style. Especially with the belts it just ads to the look.https://www.bauchlefashion.com/2023/11/why-real-real-is-number-one-place-to.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you've managed to find some time to get out and about in between all this rain we've been having. I'm pretty fed up of it being wet all of the time at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nikki, I'm pretty fed up with the rain as well, it's just neverending! xxx

      Delete
  13. Je roze "Who's that girl" blouse is zo mooi... Ik neem contact met je op, ik neem hem ook mee :-))) En deze kobaltblauwe maxi-jurk van katoen - een droom.
    Ik heb ook mijn gebreide jurken tevoorschijn gehaald... het slechte weer begint voor ons net - ik wil niet klagen, het is 20 november. - Heel erg bedankt voor het mooie herfstweer tot nu toe - maar nu heb je een paraplu en dikke kleding nodig.
    Bedankt voor de geweldige foto's van je wandeling...je jas is geweldig...mooi met roze accenten.
    Veel gelukkige groeten van Viola

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your pink “Who's that girl” blouse is so beautiful... I'll get back to you, I'll take it too :-))) And this cobalt blue cotton maxi dress - a dream.
    I also got out my knitted dresses... the bad weather is just starting for us - I'm not complaining, it's November 20th. - Thanks for the nice fall weather so far – but now I need an umbrella and thick, warm clothing.
    Thank you for the great photos of your walk...your coat is fantastic...pretty with pink accents.
    Many greetings from Viola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your lovely bilingual comment Viola! xxx

      Delete
  15. It's so good to get out for a walk. I find there's nothing to compare to it for clearing the mind...

    Fab outfits! Loved the zig-zag skirt; those fab boots (both pairs) and your wonderful Desigual coat. Your finds were brilliant; a designer belt no less! I have the same necklace (fuschia) except mine is more a claret or cranberry colour.

    Forts 1-8 look quite spooky in places but it's good they've returned the land to become nature reserves and wetlands. What a magnificent heron! We don't get blue herons here only the grey ones.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Veronica! There aren't many blue herons around here either. And I've actually got that necklace in a cranberry colour as well! xxx

      Delete
  16. Great outfits. The bright colors really make you smile on a dreary winter day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hena, and I'm glad to have made you smile! xxx

      Delete
  17. Wow, what a cool place Fort 5 is! I'm amazed that they are just open like that. Hello, heron! Maybe he's one of the dozens I saw here last year - do herons migrate?

    Your Desigual coat is a STAR, Ann! I do always love your fun outfits too. That maxi dress is definitely meant to be seen!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila! Just a small part of Fort 5 is open to the public, though. I do think blue herons migrate, as they've got a problem with frost ... xxx

      Delete
  18. Hurrah for the sun! This looks such an exciting walk!
    Your Designual coat is gorgeous and I was going to comment that Sheila would love that but she beat me to it!!!!
    The dresses are beautiful and I LOVE the pink tights and boots combo against the teal!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kezzie! Hurrah for the sun indeed, but unfortunately it didn't last! xxx

      Delete
  19. Eh, you have a local C&A store?! I haven't seen one for years. The blue lingerie dress looks more day wear than night wear. Enjoyed your spooky fort walk. Like Vix, I agree that Fort 5 has a special dramatic ring to it. Very touching that your dad's ashes were lay to rest in his extended play ground xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lulu, and yes, we still have C&A here in Belgium! xxx

      Delete