Wednesday 22 November 2023

Down in the park

Hello friends and readers! 

We've been back from our very short - and very wet! - weekend break since Sunday. However, before I can make a start with the pleasurable task of telling you all about it, there's yet more catching up to do!

You'll be relieved to read that my blog has finally reached November, so why not begin at the month's very beginning? 

The First of November, All Saints' Day, is a public holiday here in Belgium. This year, it was on a Wednesday, splitting the working week neatly into two halves. What's more, a bright and sunny morning was hiding behind our bedroom curtains when we got up that morning.




If the weather forecast was to be believed - and funnily enough they are usually spot on when bad weather is in the offing - the sun would soon be hiding behind a layer of grey again, and a smattering of showers was expected from mid-afternoon onwards.

In anticipation of Storm Ciarán, which would be reaching our shores overnight, there was the proverbial calm before the storm which offered the perfect conditions for a walk in the park. 



Once again, we opted for the park on the edge of the nearby town of Boom, which is only a 15-minute drive from Dove Cottage. 

The weather was in total contrast to our last visit here a couple of weeks ago, when we sheltered from the rain under the awning of the visitor centre, so that we were able to enjoy the scintillating sights and scents of Autumn to the full.

The non-stop rain of the last couple of weeks had filled the brooks and ponds to the brim and plenty of water - rather than the usual tiny trickle - was cascading down the weirs into the brook. 



At 15°C, it was mild enough to wear my burgundy vintage Tweed jacket with knitted sleeves and yoke, supplied by the goddesses of the charity shops in October 2019. My tan beret is from Burberry, found at Think Twice back in the mists of time.




The triangular and elongated park, which covers all of 27 hectares, used to be part of a larger wood. The leafy area was turned into a park in 1925, established along the banks of the brook which meanders through it and which ends in a series of pools. 

In the not all too distant past, the water used to be quite murky and green with algae, particularly in the brook where it was almost opaque at times, giving off an unpleasant musty smell.

In recent years, however, there has been an overhaul of the park, which involved cleaning the ponds and restoring them to their former glory.



The temperatures we were blessed with that day allowed me to remove my jacket and introduce you to one of the latest additions to my Winter wardrobe. In fact, it was a tad too warm for this wool and polyester mix vintage dress. Picked up at Think Twice a couple of days previously, when another one of their sales campaigns had kicked off at minus 30%, I was nevertheless adamant to give it its first outing.



I picked up the burgundy squiggles in its pattern with one of my King Louie cardigans and the tiny ruby dots with my opaques, while my big vintage poodle brooch echoed the off-white buttons and belt buckle.

My outfit was bookended with my beret and a pair of tan boots which might have seen better days but are just perfect for muddy walks. More tan was added with my scarf of many colours, an old favourite from H&M, which has been going strong for well over 10 years.



Jos was showcasing his new C&A coat again, which he wore combined with a blue flat cap, also from C&A. He shopped his wardrobe, as they say, opting for a yellow cord shirt, blue zip-up cardigan and dark blue jeans. His shoes are Clarks, obviously, bought in the sales during our Shropshire holiday back in June. 


It was back to work on Thursday the 2nd of November, which brought us Storm Ciarán with hurricane-force winds accompanied by an incongruous 15°C. As I had to brave the elements to go to my hairdresser during lunch break, I was glad I'd had the forethought to bring my special storm umbrella. 

No damages were sustained, apart from my coiffure being a bit skew-whiff by the time I arrived back at the office. 

I noted in my journal that I was asked by a guy on the tram whether I was English. Being an Anglophile, I was quite chuffed to be asked that question, but when I asked him why he'd got the impression, he told me it was the checked coat I was wearing (this one).



Although the storm had upped and left by Friday, it was still windy and quite chilly, with a drop in temperature to 10°C.

Due to our mid-week holiday, I'd decided to forgo my usual Friday off, although I did feel the need to indulge in some second-hand shopping therapy to tide me over.

With sales prices at Think Twice down to € 6 per item, I snapped up a rose-patterned needlecord skirt
and a vintage light green Courtelle dress with top-stitched placket, collar and pockets.



Saturday saw a return of the rain and highs of 12°C. 

I'd woken up during the night feeling a bit nauseous and although I seemed to be back to normal by morning, we decided to stay at home instead of going gallivanting around the charity shops.

That didn't mean I was completely idle though: I'm glad to report that I finally finished my seasonal wardrobe exchange and tackled a couple of small sewing jobs.



My outfit was built around another one of my wool-blend dresses, a dark green vintage Trevira one patterned with orange and sage green swirls.

Although I was in socks and slippers for most of the day, I changed into a pair of matching green suede boots bought brand new from an actual shop last Winter.

A sage green long-sleeved t-shirt was layered underneath my dress, which I accessorized with my recently charity shopped Massimo Dutti belt and an enamelled orange flower brooch, which was a gift from the lovely Kezzie when we met up earlier this year. A brown fused glass ring (retail buy) and orange beaded necklace (vintage shop find) completed my outfit.




Sunday the 5th of November was yet another rainy day, this time brightened by a midday rendez-vous with Inneke and Maurice. 

We'd invited them for lunch at 't Kasteeltje (transl. Little Castle) in nearby Boechout as a thank you for looking after Bess during our week away in September.

Only a handful of photos were taken, as obviously we were far too busy chatting. And eating, of course! While the boys opted for a seasonal special - pheasant with chicory, quince and some fancy potatoes called "pomme Anna" - the girls both enjoyed fettuccini with marinated chicken, spinach, mushrooms and candied tomatoes in a mild curry sauce. Yum!



The pinkish-red skirt I was wearing, in a deliciously strokable blend of polyester and mohair, must be one of my favourite Winter skirts ever. It was an old Think Twice find, as was the blouse with its little shawl collar and sprinkling of red, pink, orange and tan flowers.

It boggles my mind that I hadn't worn the blouse since January 2018. According to my blog, that is. Too many clothes, too little time! I'm the first to admit that even some maximalists might have a fit at the sight of my wardrobes. And yes, that's plural!


Both my ring - which had been lost for a while - and the brooch were picked up at the indoor flea market, while the necklace and belt were among my recent charity shop hauls. The watch with its leopard strap was a cheapo from a high street shop.




The rest of the day was spent finishing the epic 700+ page blockbuster called Atlas, and selecting Emma Donoghue's The Wonder from my reading pile for my next read. Set in 1859 in the Irish Midlands, it tells the story of a young girl who has supposedly lived without food for months, claiming that she is living off "manna from heaven", and an English nurse who has been sent over to watch her to make sure the girl's claim is valid. I've finished it while we were away and it is one of the best novels I have read so far this year. 

So, that's another catch-up done and dusted. I'm hoping to be back with more before the week is over.

See you soon!



28 comments:

  1. The Wonder seems like a great read. I think I heard about this case.
    Beautiful outfits! I love the red and black blouse paired with the pinkish red skirt.
    Wool dresses are the best! So warm. I love that dark green vintage one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivana, and The Wonder was a great read indeed! xxx

      Delete
  2. Ohhh this cute poodle brooch!💕 What a wonderful walk in the autum park. Yes, you could definitely be mistaken for an Englishwoman.😁
    with a huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina, and I don't mind being mistaken for an English woman! xxx

      Delete
  3. You'd put most English women to shame - well, this one , anyway - with your lovely outfits.
    The photographs from your walk reminded me of the New Forest I love anywhere with trees and water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you Janice! And I do love anywhere with trees and water too. Haven't been to the New Forest (yet) though :-) xxx

      Delete
  4. the colours of your walking outfit match the autumnal park!!
    great move that the ponds and brooks were cleaned and restored ......love a little running water - wish i had one on my estate :-D
    the lunch with you beloved friends looks cosy and yummy....
    hugs! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beate! We absolutely love that park, particularly now that the water has been cleared! xxx

      Delete
  5. Loving the red and black! They are ALL lovely and SO You!
    Thanks for the review of The Wonder!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. How nice that the work week was split into two! That must have been quite a nice little mid week break. So glad it was sunny that day as well and you were able to get a walk in. Your pictures are beautiful as always! Your burgundy tweed jacket is gorgeous! Oh wow...that vintage dress is stunning as well. Wow, the weather definitely took a turn the next day. I'm glad you brought an umbrella to make it back from the hairdresser. It's good that you were able to get some sewing jobs done even though you had a rocky start to the day. The lunch sounds like it was wonderful. What a great meal! How amazing that you made time to read recently as well. It sounds like it was such a great book.

    the creation of beauty is art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shannon! The midweek break was very welcome, but I did miss my usual Friday off! xxx

      Delete
  7. You look so lovely in red. Lovely but cute outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome back Ann. Glad you had a lovely break!
    We were in Exeter during Storm Ciaran, which curtailed our activities somewhat!
    I think you have created a new fashion movement - Woodland Chic with your wonderful outfits. Not that I'm expected to, but I'm struggling to pick a favourite. I think if pushed, it would be the wool/polyester dress teamed with that gorgeous aubergine cardigan and tan beret.
    You must have made quite an impression on that man on the tram!
    I've never read any of Emma Donoghue's books, but that one sounds intriguing. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire! Woodland Chic - woodland core :-) - sounds right up my street! xxx

      Delete
  9. Welcome back, Ann! I'm sorry that the weather didn't play ball but I know you'll have made the most of your trip and can't wait btob see the photos.
    You and Jos look absolutely splendid for your walk, I love the next dress and posh Burberry beret and Jos's coat looks very smart.
    I've sold that Courtelle dress in a grey and red colourway! The red outfit is wonderfully vibrant. Inneke and Maurice are as well turned out and as stylish as you and Jos are. You look so happy together.
    Emma Donoghue is such a brilliant writer. Love everything she's written.I expect you & Jo have been to Monmouth so you'll really enjoy Slammerkin. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix! We have been to Monmouth, although it was many years ago. I'll have a lookout for Slammerkin! xxx

      Delete
  10. Lovely outfits, Ann. I particularly liked the green dress with the orangey accessories and your charity shop finds were wonderful. Loved the skirt and the dress is beautiful.

    Your meal out with Inneke and Maurice sounded and looked delicious, I was just about to tuck into a chicken curry when I saw the photos!

    What a shame you had wet weather for you break away but I look forward to seeing what you got up to.

    I heard the serialisation of the Emma Donaghue book on the radio a couple of years ago.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vronni! That green dress is a long-time favourite of mine, and I think orange really lifts it up.
      I don't think we ever had such atrocious weather when in Bruges ... xxx

      Delete
  11. Dinner or lunch with friends is the best! And what you had sounds delicious. Love your pink skirt and so gorgeous with that blouse. And how fabulous it is that the guy thought you were British. Isn't that the best compliment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy! And yes, it's the best compliment. I knew you would get it! xxx

      Delete
  12. Ah, nice to have lunch with friends! The park looks a lovely walk and Boom is a great name! Nice to see the brooch in action! You have the knack of picking the perfect ones to go with your outfit!
    I look forward to hearing more about the break away!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kezzie! Isn't it a pity that Boom isn't pronounced like the English boom :-) xxx

      Delete
  13. Lovely that you got to share a meal with friends. It's the perfect way to brighten up ones day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good to see you have been doing lovely autumn walks in style Ann. That yummy looking food has made me hungry. I'm off to pop some spicy noodles on the hob. Shall be back for further catch up shortly... :) xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lulu, and now I am craving spicy noodles :-) xxx

      Delete