Friday 27 October 2023

Sunkissed in October

We are well and truly on the slippery slope of Autumn, with October on its way out and November looming menacingly on the horizon. 

Umbrellas and windscreen wipers have been doing overtime this week and sunny spells were so short-lived that they could easily have been missed with a blink of the eye.

All this, however, was still in the future when the first true month of Autumn tiptoed in on Sunday the 1st of October. With forecasted highs of 24°C, it felt more like a Summer's day, although there was no denying the hint of Autumn in the air. 

I have to confess that, apart from the rain and the darkening of the days, I absolutely love this time of year. So, as long as the weather gods find it in their hearts to send us sunny weather, I'm not complaining and I'm certainly game for a walk.


In spite of it being only about half an hour's drive from Dove Cottage, we hadn't been to our beloved Blaasveldbroek since March. In fact, a quick search of my blog revealed that for some reason we hardly ever seem to visit this wonderful nature reserve during the Summer months. 

If I did my sums right, this should be the 19th time you have walked here with me since the early days of my blog in the Spring of 2016.  So do forgive me if some of the sights have become a bit too familiar by now ...



However, we only discovered the path we started Sunday's walk with during the height of the pandemic in 2020. Typically, it happened when we took a wrong turning and got lost. Now, it's almost a given that our walk takes us past the lake with its tiny island, catching the odd tantalizing glimpse through the trees until we reach a boardwalk (above, top left) leading towards a jetty.  

There used to be a bench here, which was ideal for a secluded picnic, or simply for sitting in contemplation of nature. Sadly, it seemed to be leaning ever more precariously with each visit, until it was slowly but surely sinking into the water, and it was ultimately removed.

We stood on the jetty for a while, breathing in lungfuls of spicy Autumnal air and staring across the lake where we spotted the giant sunlounger among the reeds (above, top right).



Giant sunlounger? Well, yes, here it is, its giant proportions duly demonstrated by Jos, who decided to take forty winks!

Meanwhile, I investigated the still abundant flora, noticing in particular those of an invasive nature, like the Crown Vetch (above, bottom right) and Himalayan Balsam (below, top right), the shape of whose flowers have earned them the nickname of 'policeman’s helmet'. Its botanical name, Impatiens glandulifera) is a giveaway of the fact that it is a relative of the humble Busy Lizzie (Impatiens walleriana).




Having finally managed to drag Jos away from the lounger, we continued on our way. We had to take a left turn here instead of continuing on the path which would take us past the crooked poplar tree. Tempting though it was to keep on walking, it would have meant quite a detour and, eventually, a stretch along a tarmacked path on the outskirts of the reserve. 

However, the tree insisted on having its photo taken, which has become something of a tradition.  I have counted no less than eight photos of it on my blog, taken in various seasons over the years. 



Veering left, our walk took us on a long and straight path hemmed in by tall reeds and trees which catch and collect the warmth of the sun. After heavy rainfall, and particularly in Winter, the path can become quite waterlogged, which often - like here, on our last visit in early March - makes it hard to negotiate unless one is wearing wellies.



No such thing now, as it was virtually dry as dust, even the low lying water meadow the path skirts before the heart of the domain is reached.

We passed a patch of Michaelmas daisies which was buzzing with bees and some Sweet Chestnut trees ready to drop their lethal ammunition from a great height.


It was well past midday when we approached the visitor centre. In spite of the rather alarming number of cars in the car park, we hadn't met too many other walkers and the picnic area was all but empty apart from a couple of cyclists taking a break.  Consequently, we had the pick of the picnic tables!

There's another lake with a jetty here, which is just perfect for the obligatory outfit photos.




I was wearing my beloved chambray maxi skirt combined with the Finnish peasant-style blouse I picked up from Think Twice back in July. They were united by one of my chevron patterned stretchy belts and I picked a green wooden Les Cordes necklace charity shopped in the early Summer of 2020.
My sage green suede Mephisto ankle boots turned out to be the perfect choice and didn't suffer from walking in the dewy grass.

In spite of having taken precautions by wearing long sleeves and a pair of tights, I was bitten by a nasty beast yet again. However, I was able to nip it in the bud by applying hydrocortisone cream the minute I got home.


I left Jos sitting on the bench and went exploring the so-called Beaver Island which juts out into the lake. This is basically an adventure playground for children adorned with several otter and beaver related wood carvings. 



From here, I spotted Jos on his bench, but although I called out to him and waved frantically, he couldn't work out my whereabouts. If you squint or zoom in you might spot him sitting there in his orange shirt slightly to the left of the tree.



The remainder of our walk meandered through the woods until we reached the largest of the lakes with its population of water birds of various plumage. It was eerily quiet apart from the occasional quacking of a bickering pair of ducks and the disgruntled clucking of a single moorhen. Soon, the loudly honking Canada geese which overwinter here will be lords and masters of the lake again.




The first week of October brought a sudden drop in temperature, from a sizzling 26°C on Monday to just 20°C with lots of wind and a couple of showers on Tuesday. And although the sun briefly rejoined us on Wednesday, at 17°C it felt decidedly chilly.

Short-sleeved it may be, the knit polyester fabric of this fit and flare dress is perfect to keep the goosebumps at bay at this time of year. With its floral brown, orange and white pattern, there's no denying its 1970s heritage. 

A charity shopped yellow Zoë Loveborn cardigan, squishy moose brooch, orange ring and ditto beaded necklace completed my outfit.



The caramel suede ankle boots I'm wearing were picked up that very day during lunch break. As I casually strolled into high street shop Van Haren, I spotted them sitting on a shelf of bargains.

The same shelf also contained a pair of black mock crock ankle boots, which I ended up buying as well. Surely, at € 20 and € 25 respectively, it would have been a crime not to?




See you soon for another October catch-up!



34 comments:

  1. Yay, synchronised posting, we haven't done that for a while!
    I'm casting my mind back to 1st October, the day we got home from Greece. We obviously didn't share weather on that occasion as, although it was mild, it never stopped raining!
    Blaasveldbroek looks an absolute delight and I'm drooling over that Finnish blouse, it's fabulous with the chambray skirt. Your mustard cardi and dark floral midi are Autumn personified! Of course you had to get those boots, one day there will be an international boot shortage and then what will you do? Grab them while you can is my motto! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vix, and you're absolutely right: grab them while you can is my motto too :-) xxx

      Delete
  2. Love your boots especially the mock croc ones. Bargain price too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carole. As I was despairing of wearing out those boots, I did a happy dance when I spotted the same pair at such a bargain price! xxx

      Delete
  3. Oh what a wonderful walk. I love a tree reflection and really hope the Autumn colours stick around for a little longer, preferably with a blue sky backdrop.
    Gareth is just like Jos. He's almost walked past me in a shopping centre before now, even though I've been waving at him!
    Love the Finnish blouse too and your final Autumnal outfit. The moose brooch and mustard cardi are perfect partners!
    Having seen your Instagram posts too this week, you have had a fantastic week for boots! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claire! I think I've got more than enough boots now ... unless I come across a pair in a colour I haven't got yet :-) xxx

      Delete
  4. Looks like you had a wonderful walk and I love your style. You accessorised and coordinated your outfit so perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for visiting and leaving a comment! xxx

      Delete
  5. wonderful walk in the nature reserve - perfect weather and the landscape still lush green! that super lounger is fab! would have stayed there the rest of the day :-D especially with that gorgeous view over the water......
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beate! That lounger always seems to catch the sun ... when she's shining, that is :-) xxx

      Delete
  6. Like you, I enjoy this time of year. "November looming menacingly" -- I know what you mean (cold's approaching) but I welcome the start of next month because my birthday is next Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, Ally, it seems I missed your birthday. Happy birthday my friend! xxx

      Delete
  7. Lovely to join you again for a walk through beautiful landscapes and a picnic!. So fantastic pictures!. And also fantastic outfit, that skirt is a fab piece!
    Love your yellow mustard cardi and floral dress combo, and the squishy brooch!.
    Those boots are both of them a great find!, such a bargain!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monica, and you're welcome to tag along any time! xxx

      Delete
  8. The weather here is dark and gloomy, so lovely to see your sunny blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jean! We've been having plenty of dark and gloomy weather here as well :-( xxx

      Delete
  9. Love your outfits! Love the yellow cardigan...and dress!
    Sorry you were bitten!!
    How fun that your Jos found a nice place for a tiny rest! lol
    Happy weekend sweet lady!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna, and sending hugs right back! xxx

      Delete
  10. It is hard to believe how quickly October seems to be flying by! This time of year, it seems that the time zooms by faster than ever. I'm so glad you love this time of year! Blaasveldbroek is so beautiful. Wow! Those views are spectacular and I love all of the flowers! It's nice that you didn't run into too many other visitors and were able to find a picnic table! I just love the blouse you wore that day. It is gorgeous. Ha! As a Canadian person, I can say that our Canada geese are an absolute menace. They seem to be in charge, wherever they decide to be! Oh, I love that moose brooch and the caramel suede ankle boots. So fabulous!

    the creation of beauty is art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shannon! I guess they're a menace here too - they migrate here when it gets too cold at yours. They're very bossy too! xxx

      Delete
  11. Fall is flying really fast. You dress is lovely and the yellow makes the outfit shine
    Feel free to take a look at my latest fashion post.
    Wishing you a wonderful weekend

    ReplyDelete
  12. Blaasveldbroek is looking GLORIOUS! Your photos are dreamy!
    I love the sunlounger and I don't blame Jos for not wanting to leave!
    Your outfits are really pretty, especially the one you wore for Blaasveldbroek. That denim/chambray skirt really is the perfect length!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kezzie! I'd been looking for the perfect denim dress for years, and this one's exactly what I was looking for! I wore it lots over Summer! xxx

      Delete
  13. Love your chambray blue maxi....very stylish hiking outfit.
    I also like your pattern dress and yellow cardi combo. You look fantastic!
    Have a nice Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivana! You and I are both stylish hikers, aren't we? xxx

      Delete
  14. Those boots are gorgeous. It nice to have a beautiful walk you like and can visit often. Love you blue skirt. Hope you get some sun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hena! We absolutely love walking there! xxx

      Delete
  15. Oh nature is never boring right? I spotted a similar lounger in Drenthe while we where cycling there in the nature reserve. Gorgeous ankle boots you found! Especially the brown ones. Have a relaxing evening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy, and you're absolutely right: nature is indeed never ever boring! xxx

      Delete
  16. What lovely boots you found! Yes, Ann, it would have been a Crime Against Shoe-manity to leave them behind (ha ha!). I enjoy your nature walks so much, and I'm also guilty of taking pics of the same features over and over. Don't worry about it - I just love the pics.

    Your outfits are always so happy and cheery. That last one with the yellow cardi is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila, and I knew you would get me. Love Crime Against Shoe-manity by the way :-) xxx

      Delete
  17. That looks like a really lovely walk. I loved your outfits especially the skirt with the Finnish style top. The boots you found on sale were fab! How could you not resist? A bargain is a bargain after all. Have you started on your four day week working yet? If so I hope you're enjoying your extra day off...
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vronni! I'll be starting my four day weeks on the 1st of April, as I needed to apply six months in advance. I'm taking lots of Fridays off though, even if it's nibbling away at my holiday quota ... xxx

      Delete