Sunday 15 October 2023

In search of lost time

Time has once again been slipping through my fingers and my mind is reeling from the fact that almost a month has gone by since the events I'm writing about in this post. But here I am, having a lunch break coffee and catch-up with my friend Inez on Wednesday the 20th of September.

This is the coffee corner in Antwerp's latest and largest Think Twice shop, which opened its doors back in January and which, being only a couple of minutes' walk from my office, is our go-to place for meeting up, perhaps followed by a quick rummage if time allows. You can see the rails of clothes in the background of the photo on the top left and the shop's till on the far left of the one on the bottom right. 


I was wearing green and lilac that day, topped with my orange leather jacket which is draped over the back of my chair. Both the fruit patterned frock and the jacket were Think Twice finds once upon a time. 

My lilac cardigan was charity shopped and I needed both it and the lilac cat printed scarf I got from my friend Inneke to combat the draught which drifted in from the open door. I would be surprised if the temperature reached the forecasted 22°C that day, as it felt quite Autumnal, with an impenetrable layer of grey clouds and lots of wind.

But I was wearing a big smile as that week I'd finally taken the first steps towards officially working only a 4-day week! There's a system here in Belgium where, from age 60 onwards, one has the opportunity to opt for a so-called landingsbaan (landing job) with 1/5 time credit until retirement and with an additional allowance from the government. I already got the necessary permission from my boss and all that needs to be done now is fill in a sheaf of documents and send them off to the authorities. After the official period of six months I will automatically have my Fridays off without having to use up my holiday allowance. Can't wait for the 1st of April to come around! 



Until then, I'll have to grit my teeth and alternately work 5-day weeks and take up some of my precious - and seriously dwindling - time off. Which is exactly what I did on Friday the 22nd of September.

At barely 17°C, it was decidedly chilly, the upside being that it remained mostly dry until late in the afternoon. Long sleeves, layers and ankle boots to the rescue!

After a morning of pottering, our usual Friday rummage at the charity shops was on the menu. In order to get into the charity shop goddesses' good books, my outfit mainly consisted of charity shopped items.



Both the skirt - which is Essentiel Antwerp! - and the label-less pink floral blouse were found earlier this year, while the holy grail green suede Van Dalen ankle boots were snapped up in February 2021.

The pink beaded necklace was yet another charity shop find, even if I can't remember where or when. In fact, only the pink belt and the green heart brooch are the odd ones out here. Both were retail buys, the brooch doubling as a holiday souvenir as it was bought in Cardigan in June 2017.




The day's itinerary took us the charity shops in Mortsel and Lier, and while finds weren't exactly plentiful, they were enough to sate our rummaging urges.

First up is this gorgeous red cotton jumper patterned with blue and white triangles and rectangles. It's by Nathalie Vleeschouwer - a Belgian designer with Antwerp roots - and had apparently escaped the shop personnel's notice, as it was priced at the usual € 5,90 for jumpers. It would have retailed at around € 150.



A green Summer blazer by the - yet again Belgian - Green Ice label ended up in my basket as well. I love the charm details on one of the lapels. It's going to be a nice surprise unearthing this next Spring!

With the range of available non-alcoholic beers growing steadily, we are always on the lookout for the correct glasses the serve them in. After sampling the non-alcoholic version of Chouffe at Jos's son and daughter-in-law back in July, the beer has slowly but surely become a favourite. Brewed at the Achouffe Brewery in the Province of Luxemburg in Wallonia, Belgium's French speaking region, the beer's mascot is a gnome called Marcel. 

After fruitlessly searching for the typical glasses featuring the gnome, Jos finally found not just one, but two of the elusive glasses!



Back at home, I caught up with blogland and published a blog post. Then, after dinner, we watched an episode of the Belgian version of Celebrity MasterChef we'd recorded earlier that week.



Although we were treated to the odd sunny spell on Saturday, the mercury didn't climb higher than 18°C that day. 

The ideal conditions for wearing my Nathalie Vleeschouwer jumper! I even found it its perfect partner in a geometrically patterned circle skirt, charity shopped in December 2019. The skirt is somebody's quirky handiwork, with a visible red side zipper and featuring random felt circles and patches of visible stitching. 


A blue beaded necklace, early plastic white and grey swallow brooch, blue glass ring and red Camper shoes completed my outfit: all second-hand finds except for the ring.

We went around to Jos's son and daughter-in-law, Kris and Carolien, in the morning, mainly to see grandson Cas, whom we hadn't seen for far too long. Oh my, how he has grown! Hard to believe he'll be going to preschool in January!


Then, after lunch, we drove to the three-story charity shop in Duffel, where we hadn’t been since god knows when due to extensive roadworks making the shop nearly impossible to reach. Following the instructions on their Facebook page, we finally made it there, getting lost only the once!

Being a Saturday, it was reasonably busy, so I made a quick round of the rails. This burgundy King Louie shirt dress sprinkled with tiny teal and white flowers was a no-brainer. It came with a tie belt, but obviously I'll be wearing it with a contrasting belt from my stash.



Drawing the curtains on Sunday morning, we were greeted by a gorgeous Autumn day. The sun would be shining non-stop and, at 20°C the weather couldn't have been more perfect for our plans that morning. We were meeting up with Inneke and Maurice for a stroll in our favourite park, Middelheim.

We'd agreed to meet at 10.30 but were caught up in traffic due to a funfair taking place in our village. Then we spent a silly amount of time finding a parking spot as cricket championships were being held on the cricket ground near the park. So, we were several minutes late when we walked past Misconceivable (2010), the crooked boat created by Austrian artist Erwin Wurm.



Inneke and Maurice were waiting for us in a sunny spot near one of the sculpture park's most popular works, Polar Bear by the French artist François Pompon (1855-1933), who started out working as an assistant for Rodin among others. This work marked François Pompon’s first success at the 1922 Salon d’Automne in Paris. Middelheim Museum owns the third copy, while the original is in Musée d’Orsay in Paris. 

The little snail seemed to have taken a liking to it, and the feeling might very well have been mutual, as the bear seemed to glad to be wearing it like a brooch!



We went for a short stroll, noting that the park was still in some disarray due to the ongoing reshuffle. In fact, I've just read on their website that some parts of the park are temporarily closed due to major earthworks.

Our feet, all of which seemed to be in agreement, took us firmly to one of our favourite parts of the park: the open air depot, where sculptures who once used to grace Antwerp's public spaces are enjoying their retirement. Or are they?



During the reshuffle, these open air depot habitués are joined by works of art which have been temporarily moved here from their former locations in the park.

Among them some of my all-time favourites, like Running Girl (above, bottom centre). Dating from 1976, her creator was the Czech sculptor Kurt Gebauer (b. 1941).





And then there's the quite menacing Manifestanti (Demonstrators), dating from 1957, and by the Slovenian sculptor Drago Tršar, who passed away in April shortly before his 96th birthday.

The rather timid Ursula (1965), with her sensible overcoat and time-worn handbag, seems to be quite unperturbed by it all. She was born from the imagination of the Spanish sculptor Julio L. Hernandez (1930-2018).




We finished our stroll with a drink at the museum café - cappuccinos and apple and pear cake for Jos and me - after which we said goodbye to Inneke and Maurice. 

Then we returned to our car in a roundabout way, having a peek through the windows of the Braem Pavillion, which regularly hosts exhibitions but was now unfortunately closed.



Immediately opposite the pavillion, the colourful group of sculptures called Bosque Metalica (Wood of Metal) has found its new place in the park. Consisting of eight separate elements in black, green, orange and yellow, the sculptures are by Jorge Dubon (Mexico), who created them in 1971.



I added more colour with my Diolen dress in a glorious mix of Autumnal colours to which I pinned an orange metal flower brooch which was gifted to me by the lovely Kezzie when we met up with her and her husband in Bruges back in February.

Both my orange cardigan from retro label Zoë Loveborn and my sage green Mephisto boots were charity shop finds.

I've got a busy week ahead of me, with a visit from the bosses, but I'll do my best to catch up with your lovely blogs whenever I've got a moment. See you soon!



38 comments:

  1. you look fab in lilac and fit perfectly into the orangey shop interior! :-D
    and i love the "bauhaus anzug" with all the geometric patterns..... you should have shot this at the sculpures of jorge dubon!
    good news on the work front!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right, Beate! I'll have to find a way to match my outfits to the sculptures in Middelheim :-) xxx

      Delete
  2. How civilised is Belgium's retirement policy? How wonderful that you can start to wind down from your working life and that the end is almost in sight?
    The coffee corner in Think Twice looks lovely, what a great place to meet Inez. Loving the lilac and the car scarf.
    Get you with your high end labels! The jumper is really lovely, proper 1970s vibes going on and the Holy Grail boots fit into your wardrobe seamlessly.
    Always a joy to join you for a walk around Middelheim. That polar bear's little face is adorable. Ursula is wonderful! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix! I can't wait for the 1st of April to arrive! xxx

      Delete
  3. The sculpture park is most interesting. I like the polar bear and the running girl. Ursula seems untroubled by those unpleasant characters behind her.
    You found some great bargains, all very acceptable;-)
    I like the Chouffe glasses, too - great fun. x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janice! Those unpleasant characters are very impressive. They used to be behind the running girl, which was quite impressive! xxx

      Delete
  4. I'm so excited for you, moving towards reduced hours. What a great idea!
    Well done Jos for seeking out two of those gnome glasses. I bet your non alcoholic beers taste even better now!
    The outfits are beautifully put together as always. Love the cat print scarf and that Nathalie Vleeschouwer jumper looks great on you!
    We've visited Middelheim with you before and it's fascinating every time; always something new to see. I had to do a double take at that crooked boat and was quite relieved when I reached your explanation! The Pavillion is a fabulous piece of architecture too. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire! I'm excited too, can't wait for the 1st of April to arrive! I love the Braem Pavillion and seem to gravitate towards it every time we're in the sculpture park. xxx

      Delete
  5. Your orange jacket perfectly blended in with the furniture. However, do we want that actually... I love that violet skirt and scarf. What a official ways to go through when you want to work less? Isn't that up to yourself? Love that red jumper, what a treasure to find. It was warm here to, for the last weeks temperature wise. But it didn't feel that warm, really weird. And I found it very cold inside! But now it's really cold cold! Hate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy! Of course, you can always decide to work less. However, if you're over 60 you can get a compensation from the government for the days you're not working. Which is why we have to go through the official ways ... xxx

      Delete
  6. I always admire all of your outfits, so joyful and full of colour. But that lilac colour is sensational on you. I'm super pleased to read that you will be able to reduce your working days next year, it's something you have been needing for a while. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jean. I've had many compliments about the lilac outfit. Definitely a colour I should wear more! xxx

      Delete
  7. I am right there with you, still writing about the trip we took in late September.
    Lilac is a great color on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hena, I'm glad I'm not the only one :-) xxx

      Delete
  8. It certainly seems that time is moving faster and faster these days! That coffee corner is so beautiful. Definitely a nice place to meet and shop! I love the fruit pattern. That is so fabulous! And the cat printed scarf is even better. You have the most incredible pieces! Wow...four days of work a week sound lovely! I hope it won't be too much work to file all of the documents. This is a really exciting change and I hope it all goes smoothly so you can start enjoying your Fridays off each week. You always find the most incredible items. That green blazer is fabulous. I really love the charm detail...how fun! It is wonderful that you were able to see Jos's son and daughter in law. Making time for family is always important! Oh my goodness. The crooked boat is such a cool piece. I love it. I also love the polar bear sculpture! There are so many amazing pieces of work to enjoy.

    the creation of beauty is art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shannon! I've filed all the documents in the meantime. Phew, I'm glad I got that over with! xxx

      Delete
  9. Fabulous outfits! I loved the lavender dress and cardi with scarf and orange jacket. I also loved your finds; the jumper went so well the skirt with the felt circles. I found a felt skirt I'd forgotten I found in my winter store of clothes and can't wait to wear it...

    The sculpture in the park are fascinating. I like the 'Running Girl' very much but I also really admired the Demonstrators and the Ursula sculptures. I liked the idea of a waiting room for sculptures!

    What a brilliant scheme the 4 day week thing is; I so wish it was available everywhere. So many people would like to do it but can't afford to but with governments financial support it all helps. Don't worry, April will be here soon.

    It's definitely Autumn here now; boots everyday.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vronni! The "waiting room" is one of my favourite parts of the park. And yes, I agree that scheme is absolutely brilliant and should be available everywhere! xxx

      Delete
  10. That's great with your 4-day week starting next spring. I particularly like your colorful styles again and how beautifully does this new sweater go with the skirt! 😁
    With a huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina! I can't wait for April to come along! xxx

      Delete
  11. Wonderful outfits, Ann! I love the first purple look (and the glimpses of Think Twice - wow, it's so nice!), and that new jumper/sweater you got for such a steal. Congrats on the reduced work-week! I love my 4-day week, but not the corresponding 1/5th less payment...

    I am a big fan of all the sculpture. Why don't we have more sculpture in parks here??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila! That is actually the nicest T2 shop in Antwerp! I know we are lucky to be able to get compensation from the government. It's only from age 60 though it used to be from age 55 ... xxx

      Delete
  12. I absolutely understand what you mean about trying to find time to write, I’ve posted a blog today about something I did a month ago too. Crazy times. That sounds like a great provision where you can go to a 4 day week. To do that here means to lose some salary. I hope to be able to do it one day. I’ve never visited Belgium, unless you count getting lost in Liege while driving to Munich for Oktoberfest, but your parks look lovely, and so well maintained xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Louise! Getting lost in Liege doesn't sound like much fun though :-) xxx

      Delete
  13. I always envy that there's even a coffee corner in those massive second-hand shops (here only book shops have one!). Looking particularly gorgeous in your green&lilac outfit, enjoying a coffee with a friend and celebrating your 4-day work week!. Great News!
    Love your Friday outfit, the pink blouse and the green heart brooch are particularly fab!
    Also lovely jumper, the colours and geometric design are amazing, such a great find!
    Great photos at the park, particularly that photo of you with the colourful Bosque Metalico!
    I've pointed that Chouffe non-alcoholic beer to Mr.A. so we will look for it at our local beer shop!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica! Not all charity or Think Twice shops have coffee corners, but this one is particularly nice as you can have lunch or cake! I hope you're able to find non-alcoholic Chouffe! xxx

      Delete
  14. Congratulations on that achievement at work, it sounds good to work only 4 times a week, and have a longer weekend, I liked the lilac and orange combination, I like how you combine the colors in such a balanced way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rebeca, I am looking forward to those longer weekends! xxx

      Delete
  15. Die Muster harmonieren wieder wunderbar miteinander. LG Romy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like you've already been busy!
    I love the lilac outfit! My favorite!
    All your clothes are Wonderful and fun!
    Happy for you getting Fridays off starting in April!! Wonderful.
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna! Judging from all the compliments I got, I think I need to wear more lilac! xxx P.S. Hope all is well with Larry's biopsy results ...

      Delete
  17. Love how colourful your outfits are even in autumn! I find when it starts to cool down here I tend to go for basic neutrals and it's not as pretty to look at! I really like that fun Saturday outfit with the printed skirt and knit together, it's just such a cheerful combination!

    The ability to reduce your work hours without using leave sounds wonderful too! I wish we had something like that here, but who knows, things may have hopefully changed in a couple decades when 60 comes around for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mica! I always think Winter in particular needs a colour injection! xxx

      Delete
  18. I can see why the polar bear is popular - it's very cheering.

    Four-day weeks will be brilliant; I hope all goes smoothly and you're able to enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mim! If I'm honest, I was never a fan of the polar bear, but he's definitely growing on me! xxx

      Delete