Wednesday 5 April 2023

Spring will be a little late this year

Although Spring has officially sprung a couple of weeks ago, true Spring days have been few and far between. But finally the sun is shining brightly in a brilliant blue sky as I'm starting to type this post, the former effortlessly elevating the mercury from the morning's frosty start into double figures by midday. No chance of peeling off the layers just yet, but at least it's infinitely better than the endless rain we've had to contend with lately. Beneficial for nature and our gardens it may be, it most certainly isn't any good for our Winter-battered souls, which are craving balmy temperatures and sunshine. Lots and lots of it, to make up for all the mind-numbing grey.

Before we plunge ourselves headlong into whimsical April, let's cast our minds back to March's final Sunday.




As due to the bothersome Daylight Saving Time we'd had to put the clocks forward and thus lost an hour of sleep, my biological clock screamed "No way!" to our usual Sunday morning wake up time. It wasn't really helpful that the day dawned dismal, grey, and wet so, with no enticement to get up, we dozed for another half an hour or so. If there was any upside to all the upheaval, it was that Bess didn't wake Jos up at the crack of dawn for her breakfast! Every cloud has a silver lining, they say ...



I know for a fact that that's an out-an-out lie, though, as there wasn't any sign of a silver lining among the dense blanket of grey which made up the sky that day.

The day's highs of 9°C prompted the first outing of the green textured jumper I'd charity shopped on Friday. Its companion was one of my favourite skirts, box pleated and patterned with an abundance of flowers interspersed by rows of berries and Paisley. It joined my wardrobe in October 2019, when it was part of a € 4 a piece Think Twice haul.

I picked up the splashes of burgundy in the skirt with the semi-elasticated, massive-buckled belt, also charity shopped on Friday. Further accessories were a burgundy beaded necklace and pink butterfly brooch. My feet and legs were clad in my beloved green boots which were a charity shop find in December 2019.



With no chance of any outdoor adventures and my brain still running behind the time shown on the clock, it was a day of aimless pottering. This included yet another repair on my one and only black underskirt. Charity shopped many years ago, it is almost falling apart, but will have to do until I find a suitable replacement.

Speaking of charity shopping, let's have a look at my latest finds, picked up on the Saturday. The indigo, pink and white wrap skirt is 100% cotton and bears a made in Malaysia label. The red short-sleeved jumper with its frilly and ribboned yoke is from the Belgian Xandres label. With simple t-shirts on their website retailing at well over € 100, I'm sure you'll agree that this knitted top's € 5 price tag makes it quite the bargain.



Later that day, we both followed Bess's excellent example by having a nap! Aww, isn't she cute, particularly when she's sleeping. She can be quite full-on when she's awake, following us, and especially Jos, around and insisting on helping with any household chores. Except vacuuming!

The month's final working week was a bit of a drag. Not only were my brain and body still struggling to adapt to the time shift, it wasn't much fun not having my usual Friday off to look forward to. As my one and only colleague had to have more surgery on her wrist, and is expected to be out of action for a month, I am once again on my own in the office. I'd quite forgotten what it feels like to work 5-day weeks with only a measly 2-day weekend as a reward.




The weather gods were still up their old tricks as well and kept taunting us with plenty of showers, culminating in 24 hours of non-stop rain on Friday. 

This was what our commute on Friday morning looked like. 

There was nothing for it but to make my own sunshine, for which my wardrobe proved to be very obliging. 

Long-time readers might recognize my grey wool skirt criss-crossed with textured multi-coloured diagonals, which has been a wardrobe stalwart for many years. 


It wasn't the first time I paired it with this glorious flower-infused vintage 1970s blouse, which I charity shopped in March 2019.  In fact, here I am wearing it that very same month for a nature walk on an infinitely better behaved Spring day. 

The butterscotch cardigan with its maroon edging and buttons is by Zoë Loveborn, and was a charity shop find in November 2021. It's one of my numerous pre-loved cardigans from that label, which for some unfathomable reason keep popping up in the charity shops quite regularly. It really puzzles me why people are getting rid of these at all as not only have they got quirky details that make them stand out from the ordinary, their quality is excellent too.



If I remember correctly the flower brooch, which always makes me think of white chocolate, was picked up from a flea market. The necklace was a gift from my friend Inneke, while both the belt and the flower corsage pinned to the cardigan were retail buys.




The month of April didn't get off to the best of starts, as it continued raining with hardly any let-up all day on Saturday. It wasn't very warm either, with highs not even reaching the double digits.

At this crossroad of seasons, just before the big changeover takes place, I'm trying to reach for those frocks which are still languishing unworn in my wardrobe. I was quite perplexed that I hadn't worn this 1970s does 1940s dress at all this season, its last outing dating from our trip to Bruges in March 2022.



I paid tribute to both the blue and the orange in its blowsy flower pattern, choosing an orange beaded necklace (Welsh antique centre), blue backed cameo brooch (flea market), blue ring (retail) and chunky blue belt (last year's Summer sales bargain from Mango).




Sage green opaques and my Snoots (snake print boots) completed my outfit, although I did exchange the latter for my almost worn to death tall mock croc boots when we left the house to brave the rain for the day's adventure. Oh, and I also added my chunky orange long line cardigan because I was freezing.




We were in need of some bread mix, so we decided to pay a long overdue visit to our favourite garden centre, which also happens to have an excellent baking department. 

In fact, it's not just our favourite garden centre, as it was recently voted best in Flanders!

Of course, it would have been virtually impossible not to have a peek at the plants too so that, inevitably, apart from said bread mix, a couple of pots of Spring flowers ended up in our trolley.



Our purchases included Primulas and Pansies, Tête-à-Tête and Bridal Crown Daffs and a cream and yellow Ranunculus. We were actually quite restrained, but I'm sure we will be back soon to have a mooch around their outside perennials department. Preferably on a dry and if possible sunny day!



For now, our purchases are patiently waiting to be planted up and join the passageway gang.

Fingers crossed for a reasonably dry Easter weekend, but knowing our luck it will probably be chucking it down again by then.


The rest of the afternoon was spent with another instalment of my seasonal wardrobe changeover. With a limited amount of time at my disposal until my colleague is back, I'll have to do it all in bite-sized chunks in order to get it all sorted before Summer makes her entrance.

Saturday's instalment was putting away most of my woollen skirts and replacing them with my Spring and early Summer ones. 



So glad to reacquaint myself with these lovelies.

Just one more day of work until my 4-day Easter break, and I'm more than ready for it. 

Happy Easter, everyone!



41 comments:

  1. awww***** BESS!!!!
    its hart to not cuddle a sleeping cat - is´t it?!
    here spring is in full swing despite the icy cold air. trees blossoming, bushes get tiny green leaves, the perennials in the garden push out their greenery, primroses are in full bllom and the tulips and daffodils have big buds. i must know - i spend evry day in the garden - working :-D
    on to all the flowers on your clothes! fabulous!! esp. the horizontal pattern on the skirt...... well done to un-earth the spring skirts - very mood lifting colours and prints!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beate, now all I need is the right weather to wear those skirts! xxx

      Delete
  2. Bess is such a sweetie.
    That was a delightful amble through your wardrobe. You obviously get a lot of enjoyment from looking for bargains, something I'm absolutely hopeless at. My middle daughter is quite good at it, though.
    I hope the weather improves - it's been pretty dire here, too, not very warm today and not promising much for the weekend.
    Whatever, have a lovely, well-earned longer weekend.
    Do you have the Easter bunny in Belgium or a French fish or something entirely different?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janice! We do have the Easter bunny, but also the Easter bells! The French fish (Aprilvis) is April Fool's Day! xxx

      Delete
  3. Oh! I Love the yellow cardigan outfit! and the boots! How fun!!
    Happy Easter and enjoy your weekend!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna, and I do hope your Easter weekend was enjoyable too! xxx

      Delete
  4. That looks like an amazing garden centre, very tempting I'm sure. I hope the sun puts his hat on for you over your four day break. Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very tempting indeed Jean. Oh, and the sun put its hat on for 1,5 half days out of 4, which I guess we should be thankful for! xxx

      Delete
  5. It is the same here. Even though it is spring, the weather hasn't been ideal lately. Lots and lots of rain and grey days and not a lot of sunshine so far. I'm glad you are experiencing a nice blue sky today at least!

    Oh, how I hate Daylight Saving Time. There is nothing worse than losing an hour of sleep! Definitely makes sense to stay in bed a little longer anyway. I just love that skirt you wore with the pleats. I can see why it is one of your favourites!

    Working five days instead of the usual four would definitely be a downer. It's hard to readjust to that, even if it is only temporary! Ooh I adore that flower brooch. What a spectacular item. It is just beautiful! I'm glad you were able to head to the garden center and get inspired! I hope you have a wonderful Easter break <3

    the creation of beauty is art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shannon, and I'm glad to read I'm not the only one who hates Daylight Saving Time! xxx

      Delete
  6. Bess is a sweetie!!! I love a sleeping tabby!!
    Your yellow Zoe Lovelorn is really beautiful. I'm also mystified about how many garments you find but perhaps they just don't like the feel of the fabrics. I'm definitely one of those who buys something and then HATES how it feels! Even good fabric!
    Snoots! Snigger!
    I love your new top- so pretty!
    A garden centre visit is always necessary! I've not germinated any tomatoes yet so may need to buy!! Kezzie xx
    (P.s. I have BOOTS!! Am a little apprehensive about the 14.6miler tomorrow!! But feeling a bit more positive after a day of rest!)x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kezzie! Snoots was actually invented by Sheila, I'm just following suit here :-) I was relieved to read you got boots, as I was going to message you ... xxx

      Delete
  7. What beautiful spring fabrics are waiting for you in the form of blouses, skirts and dresses... I'm so excited.
    We had frost that night, but I was able to enjoy my coffee this morning on the terrace in the most beautiful sunshine... yup.
    Three days of rain are to follow... in a row. Easter a lot indoors.
    I wish you a happy Easter days... maybe you will have sun! I wish you... in Paris she shines... my children are there :)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Viola! We had 1,5 days of sunshine out of 4 and only 1 of rain. I guess we should be thankful :-) xxx

      Delete
  8. Bess looks adorable all snuggled up like that! Hoorah for her not waking Jos up - I remember those early morning walk up calls all too well!
    I absolutely love that photo of you in the garden centre. What a place! Are those hanging plants for living walls? They're amazing.
    The weather always seems to take a turn for the worst when Spring starts, doesn't it? It's been positively schizophrenic here this week. I'm currently in a sun top and basking in 24°C after waking up to a frost this morning.
    Fabulous outfits especially the green midi dress which just scream SPRINGTIME! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 24°C sounds like bliss ... can't wait to bask in some of that here. I'm afraid to say the hanging plants were fake, but it did look spectacular didn't it? xxx

      Delete
  9. We hit the dizzy heights of 14.5 degrees today! Fingers crossed for more of the same over the Easter break.
    I agree. Cats are so cute when they're sleeping. I love the way they curl themselves up so neatly, although if Bess is anything like Lotte, she's usually still on alert as her ears swivel at the slightest noise.
    Lovely Spring outfit photos (I'm loving that Malaysian indigo skirt) and that garden centre looks like a place I could easily lose half a day inside!
    Have a lovely Easter! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire! We have definitely lost whole afternoons in that garden centre before, particularly during Lockdown when it was about the only fun place which was open! xxx

      Delete
  10. Despite the weather, your outfits are like a ray of sunshine!. That subtle colour combo of green and raspberry in the first outfit is such a joy for sore eyes!. Delightfully matchy!. I've noticed that your hairstyle is changing and love it!
    Love your 'bring your own sunshine' outfit, the yellow cardi and cute criss-cross motive in the skirt, the accessories!. Totally cheering up the day!. And I hear you about people discarding some quality items (even unworn), it doesn't cease to amaze me. Probably cardigans are not trendy these days?
    Love to see that green floral dress, so beatiful!
    Happy Easter, dear Anne!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica! I hope you've had a lovely Easter break. As for my hair, it's now exactly the same style I had from the late 80s onwards, until in a moment of madness I had it cut short in 1999 ... xxx

      Delete
  11. Then let me start by saying, happy Easter weekend! Jack is also quite a handful and not afraid of anything except....... when Gerben starts vacuuming. My hands are full of scratches! Love the jumper on the first outfit. Love it with that gorgeous skirt. I do how that spring is starting soon, but after Easter the weather gets cooler again. I'm so fed up with the cold and this horrible winter of viruses. But for now Easter looks sunny and I do hope that it's sunny for you too! Enjoy your long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy. I'm so fed up with the weather as well. We've just had the odd sunny day, and then back to rain. Oh, and Bess doesn't like the vacuum cleaner either :-) xxx

      Delete
  12. Oh yes you are right, very late. Good you bought a little bit spring - flowers. ☺️
    Bess is sooo cute.💕
    Happy Easter Ann and Jos.
    with a huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina, and I hope you had a wonderful Easter break! xxx

      Delete
  13. Love all the looks. Super love your style!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope you get some sunny and warm spring days soon! I really like that Friday outfit with the mustard cardigan and necklace - it is the perfect pairing with the blouse and skirt, with the little bits of yellow in them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mica, I'm hoping so too. I'm so ready for sunshine! xxx

      Delete
  15. Hello Ann, as I am running way behind with my blogging I hope your Easter was indeed filled with sunshine.
    A garden centre with a bakery as well as beautiful Spring blooms , a perfect combination.
    Your wonderful and colourful outfits must help to provide some sunshine on those grey days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my dear. Are you Carole? I'm just guessing. It's the perfect garden centre indeed, which is why it was voted best in Flanders! xxx

      Delete
  16. You spoke my mind about spring, some days are really cold
    https://www.melodyjacob.com/2023/04/wongs-chinese-takeaway-foodcourt.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melody! I wish Spring would hurry up! xxx

      Delete
  17. A belated Happy Easter to you! I don't know where the time went over the last four days ...

    Anyway, I haven't put away winter clothings but there is hope that finally the frost is over at least after a few hours of a new day (This morning, we had ice on the wind screen of our car). I haven't checked the weather forcast yet. Although back to work, it makes such a differnece when the temperatures are mild according to the time of year. I'm more than ready to lighter shirts and jeans.

    Have a nice evening! and feel strong to master the week ahead.

    xxx Regula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Regula! I've still got plenty of Winter clothes at the ready. We don't have frost but it's still only a couple of degrees in the mornings ... xxx

      Delete
  18. The first look is my fav one. The combo of that skirt and top is gorgeous. The burgundy details on the skirt match the belt so well. I also really like the grey skirt and yellow cardi combo.
    Bess is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivana, and I do agree that Bess is the cutest! xxx

      Delete
  19. Bess sets a very fine example. A garden centre with a baking section! Win win. Loving your zingy outfits and pattern montage at the end. A belated Happy Easter to you Ann xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lulu, I hope you had a wonderful Easter break, and that it wasn't too stormy out there! xxx

      Delete
  20. As I'm working backwards, I'm pleased that you got some nice weather eventually in the future! I'm resigned to the mercurial nature of spring this year (she said, optimistically), but we could use more rain if we hope to miss out on forest fire season this summer.

    Loving your beautiful outfits - that black and red patterned skirt is amazing and I adore your "make my own sunshine" yellow ensemble. It's odd how some things just seem to flood the thrifts, isn't it? I wonder if a boutique went out of business and donated their cardigans?

    Aw, Bess is adorable. I love it when they cover their faces with their wee paws... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila! I'll have to send you some rain then, we've got plenty of it here! xxx

      Delete
  21. Bess is so cute. And happily, the weaqther is finally turning to suit your lighter-weight clothes.

    ReplyDelete