Friday 31 March 2023

Moody March

I'm shaking my head in disbelief at the fact that we've come to the end of the moody month of March. And moody she was, as well as very, very wet. It's all very well that you English-speaking folks talk about April showers, we Dutch-speaking people actually have Maartse buien, so March showers instead of April ones. 

That doesn't mean April is in the clear though, as we've got what we call Aprilse grillen, meanings April whims, an idiom which I think has the nature of the whimsical month of April down to a T. 

They usually come as a pair, those two, as more often than not they are mentioned in the same breath: Maartse buien en Aprilse grillen.



There was most certainly no lack of Maartse buien in the month's final weekend which, as it often does, already made a start on Friday for me.

During one of Friday's short-lived dry and sunny spells, we stepped outside and into the passageway, which lately has become our go-to space for outfit photos.

My caramel button-through cord skirt was a cheeky high street buy in October 2021, but no regrets there: instead of fast fashion, it has fast become on of my favourite skirts.



Incidentally, the groovilicious blouse I'm wearing started its life in the same shop as the skirt, but followed me home from a flea market in October 2016.

My red glass beaded necklace and ring were both charity shop finds, as were the cardigan and my recently found belt. The yellow cat brooch came from a delightful shop in Antwerp called Katshop (linking 'cause I love, as Sheila would say) which caters for cats and their personnel.

Oh, no, there's that blasted rain again. Quick, let's go inside!



This offered me the perfect opportunity to show you my latest Think Twice finds. I bought them for € 4 a piece during Thursday's lunch break, when I walked down to the recently opened 5th shop, which also happens to be the nearest one to my office. 

Admittedly, it has been quite a while since I found anything half decent in any of their shops. Clearly, the days of my regular and plentiful Think Twice hauls seem to be well and truly over. Is it the pandemic, or the fact that 1990s fashion seems to be the latest vintage craze?

Anyway, I found two dresses and two skirts, so I couldn't have been happier! 

The white and blue dotted one, with its cleverly camouflaged buttons, is Diolen. Hadn't found one of those in a long, long time. Can't wait to give it its first outing when the weather finally cottons on that it's supposed to be Spring!




I can't wait to give the pleated skirt of this flower and foliage patterned blue Summer dress a whirl either. Its lightweight, semi-sheer chiffon fabric comes with a solid blue lining. The presence of belt loops give away the fact that once upon a time the dress must have had a belt, but knowing me I probably wouldn't have made use of it anyway. Instead, I picked up the lilac in its pattern with a 1980s belt in the same colour, one which is in desperate need of another outing.



Riffling through the full to bursting rail of skirts, there were quite a few which caught my eye, most of them, alas, either teeny tiny or way too big. 

I ended up spending my money on a white cotton flower infused skirt, with a veritable Summer flower border blooming near its black hem, and a red polyester one patterned with blowsy indigo and white flowers. 



Friday morning was spent at the optician's in the nearby town of Mortsel, where I had my eyes tested and then splurged on a spanking new pair of varifocals, which I can't wait to show you once they're ready!

Yet another shower accompanied us on our way home but there was a dry intermezzo after lunch which lasted long enough to check on our garden's progress. The threesome of snakeshead fritillaries are coming along nicely (top left) and look at how lush and green some of our perennials are already!  There's a healthy clump of Geranium phaeum a.k.a. dusky crane's-bill (bottom left) and even our Oriental poppy (top right) is showing great promise, even if at this very moment it's hard to imagine it bearing flowers before too long.


It's hard to imagine a Friday without a visit to the charity shops either, so that's what we did in the afternoon, even if we only limited ourselves to one shop.

The skirt fairies were very generous here as well, and magicked another two into my basket. The photo doesn't do the first one justice, as rather than grey, the maxi skirt with its Paisley-esque pattern is more of an olive green. It's from the Belgian Terra di Siena label.




The horizontally striped black, grey and red button-through midi skirt is label-less, and I expect it's somebody's handiwork. With no contents label, it's a bit of a guess, but it does feel like wool or at least a wool blend.

The thin knit green patterned jumper - which I already wore in the meantime - is from the Dutch high street label WE Fashion.


Finally I fell for this wide semi-stretchy burgundy red belt with its unusual metal buckle. This too has already been part of one of my outfits.



Saturday's weather was even worse than Friday's, with almost non-stop rain from the moment we got up, the overall dampness making it feel quite a bit colder than the 13°C offered by the thermometer.

The perfect weather to tackle a couple more chores, this time of the sewing variety. I also got it into my head to make a start with my wardrobe changeover, exchanging my warmest Winter frocks for some of my short-sleeved ones. That way, I'll be ready if/when Spring decides to make an appearance overnight.



When eventually it stopped raining in the early afternoon, we grabbed our coats and walked to our garage to pick up our car, only for it to start pelting down again shortly after we left the house.

Thankfully, we'd had the presence of mind to bring an umbrella! Of course, the minute we'd made it inside the building the rain stopped as abruptly as it had started. There were even some gloating rays of sunshine to be spied through the skylights. Perfect for highlighting my charity shopped Desigual coat ...



... and what I was wearing underneath. 

Surprisingly, it was the season's first - and probably only - outing for this Finnish made 1970s does 1930s dress picked up from Think Twice many moons ago. Too many clothes, too little time, but I am absolutely fine with wearing things only once a year. 



The brooch I pinned to my dress, featuring a mottled green stone set within a crown of tiny pearls, was bought from the Brooch Lady at an antiques fair in April 2017. 

My orange King Louie cardigan, necklace and ring were charity shop finds. I'm fairly certain that the white felted flower corsage was a retail buy, as I've got it in several other colours as well. They possibly came from haberdashery and accessories chain Veritas. The latter also provided the belt, which is the latest one to join my collection. It was winking at me when I dashed into the shop for a sewing essential the other week.




I'm leaving you now with some garden wildlife. This is one of our resident wood pigeons sunning itself on our garden wall after gorging on the bird seeds the gang of picky blue tits had carelessly thrown out of the feeder. It seemed to be quite oblivious of the fact that it was being watched from the kitchen window by a certain furry creature!



40 comments:

  1. I love the poetic Dutch descriptions of the months, they're brilliant! I'm so fed up with this endless sodden weather, oh for some barefoot gardening and the kiss of the sun on my bare shoulders!
    Talking of gardening, Dove Cottage's garden is certainly putting Stonecroft's to shame. I have no luck with fritillaries so I'm wildly envious of yours.
    Fantastic scores in the chazzas,gorgeous dresses and the paisley skirt is wonderful.
    The Desigual coat looks amazing on you. love the dress you wore underneath and the outfit with the cheeky cord skirt.
    Look out Mr Wood Pigeon, Bess is licking her lips already! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix, but I'm only showing the nice bits of our garden. It would be a totally different story if I showed you the full picture complete with next door's building rubble!
      The fritillaries were a lovely surprise, only a handful came up of all the bulbs I planted ... xxx

      Delete
  2. Oh you have got so many great finds recently! I really like the blue floral dress, it's nice with that purple belt you paired it with! :) The desigual coat is just perfect on you too.

    I find sometimes I have a lot of luck in the opshops (I did this month!) other times I don't get much. it's the hunting I enjoy, even if it doesn't always result in a big haul for me. This was the first month I bought anything fashion related this year, and I ended up buying a little more than usual as there were some amazing accessories in the opshops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mica, and yes, I agree, I love the hunting in particular as well! xxx

      Delete
  3. We say March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb. All I can say is that it's a mighty rowdy lamb. We had torrential rain yesterday and the sun has appeared rarely.
    I love all your outfits, but especially the dresses and that wonderful coat.
    One of our cats caught a woodpigeon and brought it into the house through the cat flap. Very messy - feathers everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A mighty rowdy lamb indeed. We had all-day rain on March's final days, and on the 1st of April. That's the date that we have the fish thing by the way, borrowed from our neighbours the French :-) xxx

      Delete
  4. What a gorgeous items you found. I simply love the self made skirt and jumper! I would wear it together, I think it's too matchy matchy for you, lol. And that olive skirt, wow, what a beauty. Looks like a maxi, even better. Also the floral skirt is gorgeous. I'm very bored with the weather. Its April now! I want spring sun! But it still will be cold next week too. Can't wait to sit outside in the garden, still a bit cold like 17 degrees, birds singing, the smell of everyting growing in the garden! Oh sigh, have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy! I paired the jumper with another skirt, but will keep your proposed combo in mind :-) xxx

      Delete
  5. Loving all these outfits! You wear them nicely...
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna, I'm doing my best! Sending hugs right back :-) xxx

      Delete
  6. It's hard to believe a new month is here already. Fingers crossed that April will be an excellent month for all! I just love that first outfit. The accessories are fabulous. I love the red glass beaded necklace and the cat brooch! The Think Twice finds are wonderful. I especially love that patterned blue summer dress. It is stunning! I'm so glad the skirt fairies were generous recently. Everything is really beautiful. That 70s dress you wore is just incredible. I love the pattern and the sweater you paired with it. Such a warm and rich colour!

    the creation of beauty is art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shannon! So far, we've had three days of sunshine and three days of horrible weather this month. Hopefully Spring will arrive soon! xxx

      Delete
  7. The weather in Blighty can't seem to make it's mind up either and it seems to be making most folk I see very miserable. I'm in need of some gentle sunshine too. I love the Finnish dress it looks great on you and has a slight art deco feel which I really love. I wonder if you have gone for bigger specs? It is a thing over here, I'll wait and see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jean! I needed bigger frames to fit in the varifocals, but they're not as big as some I've seen. The really big ones didn't really suit me ... xxx

      Delete
  8. Apparently, it's been the wettest March since 1981, well at least for us, anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be the same in Belgium, I suppose, and I'm not surprised! xxx

      Delete
  9. Fab outfits and finds. The paisley skirt had me drooling and I loved the pink belt. Isn't it marvellous that the garden is springing into life?
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry, Ann, that was me for some reason Google has made me anonymous.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me being, Veronica!

      Delete
    2. Thank you Veronica! I've already worn the belt, it was such a joy to wear! xxx

      Delete
  11. i know why! all the vintage dresses are in dove cottage! :-D
    we had the wettest march since 20 years here - and i´m thankful! garden and forests soak up the rain like a sponge......
    and a very dry sponge it was.
    still in love with the 30s pattern of the only once worn dress!!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I've been thinking the same!
      Nature and our gardens definitely needed the rain, but I'm craving some sunshine! xxx

      Delete
  12. May and April are really unpredictable in terms of weather. It was fun to learn the month related idioms for them.
    As always, I enjoyed your outfits.
    The blue dress that you showed to us, the thrift find, is wonderful.
    It has been so long since I went shopping but I wouldn't want to shop the 90ties in vintage and thrift stores either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivana! I didn't even like 90s fashion the first time around :-) xxx

      Delete
  13. I think we need to adopt the Dutch Maartse Buien description. What a month we've had! I too can't wait for spring to really arrive and look forward to seeing your wonderful spring dresses and the new varifocals in action!
    That Paisley skirt is absolutely gorgeous - the khaki green background will really make the pattern pop. As for that Desigual coat - what a stunner!
    I had to smile at your wood pigeon. We have a few at the moment. They seem to live on the fence and are currently engaging in their head bobbing mating rituals! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to wear the Paisley skirt, and might very well take it with me to the UK in June.
      Those wood pigeons are definitely something else. We got one with a bit of a manky wing which has been visiting us for years, trying to get into the bird feeder! xxx

      Delete
  14. Hi Ann
    I love the corded skirt, the colour is fab. Your charity shops are far better than ours now. I’ve almost given up going in them as they are just full of cheap throwaway clothes. I think folk must be selling the good stuff on Vinted.
    We’ve just returned from a lovely week in the Cotswolds with friends. I’m sure you two would love it there. Are you coming over to the UK this year
    Love to you both xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynn, lovely to hear from you. We will be coming over to the same place in June. Will email you! xxx

      Delete
  15. The corded skirt looks fab, so versatile. Love the white floral one as well, very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hena! I definitely don't regret splashing out on that corded skirt! xxx

      Delete
  16. It’s cold outside, again. Wet, windy and cold. I am ready for spring. It's time for spring to come, so that you can finally wear your beautiful clothes and your coat can disappear in the closet.😁
    With a huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina, and I think we have been sharing weather. We had a couple of dry and sunny days, but it's raining again today! xxx

      Delete
  17. Ah "intermezzo" is such a great word (musical too!). I adore your new pleated dress- it reminds me a little of Julie Andrews' blue dress from The Sound of music!
    You did well on the skirts! They are gorgeous!
    I love your 2016 bauble shirt- it's one of my favourites! Kxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'll have to wear that dress in the hills then :-) I remember you told me that shirt is one of your favourites. Bauble shirt is such a great description. xxx

      Delete
  18. Lovely outfit and so cool is that groovilicious shirt with the rusty colour of your skirt!, no wonder it has become a favorite!
    I'm admiring your last finds, lots of beautiful skirts!. My own finds have been meagre last months...
    And so fabulous Desigual coat!, so fabulous outfit actually, as the dress and cardi and accessories are fab too!. Love it!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica! I've got a dress with the same print as the skirt, it's been a while since I last wore it, though ... xxx

      Delete
  19. Thank you for the Dutch lesson Ann. I shall add 'Aprile grillen' to 'pannenkoek' & then I should be able to get by with a day to day conversation right? That new coat does look rockin' on you xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Lulu! How about "kringloopwinkel", which is Dutch for charity shop. A very useful word to know, I'm sure, after "pannenkoek" of course :-) xxx

      Delete
  20. Ooh, there's that Desigual coat - it's gorgeous on you, Ann! It does go really well with the dress underneath - I had to look again, yes, it's a dress, not the coat!

    I hear you on the vintage clothes in shops - there is SO much 90s crap out there, it's getting hard to find anything of good quality. At least we are an appreciative audience, and it's not like we're going to run out of clothes any time soon, right?

    Love the cat brooch - that first outfit is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila! The Desigual coat has already seen a lot of action. It's a dress underneath, not the coat :-) xxx

      Delete