Thursday 21 January 2021

Girls on the run

Before I plunge myself headfirst into January, starting with what I was wearing to welcome in 2021, I would like to thank you all for your comments and advice on the pale green, grey and off-white dress I wore on the last day of 2020. Although the outcome, both here and on Instagram, was indecisive, I'm going to go with my gut feeling and let it go.

A sales bargain from Think Twice a couple of years ago, it has never felt right, which is how it ended up in my flea market boxes in the first place. I dug it out again during a recent rummage in said boxes, thinking I would like to give it another go, but as it made me feel like Cinderella wearing one of her stepsisters' cast-offs, it has now been banished from my wardrobe for good!

 


No such issues with what I wore on New Year's Day! The psychedelic sunburst print of this vintage maxi skirt is not for the faint-hearted and this modern day Cinderella would gladly wear it to the ball, if any such things were permitted in this day and age.

Snapped up at Think Twice (again) in August 2017, it initially was far too long for a vertically challenged girl like me, so it needed shortening and, as it is lined, I needed to shorten that as well. Quite a job for an unskilled sewer like yours truly, but I'm rather proud of my - quite literal - handiwork.

I was originally going to wear it with a cobalt blue polo neck, but as our plans for the day didn't involve leaving the confines of Dove Cottage, I thought this long-sleeved top in the same shade of blue would do. It's in a lovely thick fabric, quite tight-fitting, and zips up at the back. 



Both the top and the white felted flower corsage were old retail buys which have by now earned their keep, while the belt and the orange long-line cardigan were recent, post Lockdown 2.0, charity shop finds. 

The multi-coloured beaded necklace was charity shopped as well, serving as a holiday souvenir at the same time, as it was part of my haul from the little charity shop in Poperinge in September 2019.



We hung around not doing very much at all, although my journal insists that I washed my hair as well as a batch of face masks and caught up with blogland.

As the day was unexpectedly sunny - those bothersome weathermen had predicted rain! - I ventured out into the garden, noticing with delight that two of the Hellebores I planted in October have developed flower buds already. Here and there, early Spring bulbs are poking up, as if to test the weather. Apart from the snow drops - which I hope against hope will flower in their first year - I have little recollection of what I planted where, so I'm sure Spring will bring a couple of surprises!



As befits the first day of the year, we exchanged some New Year messages with friends and family. Here, Jos was calling his youngest daughter for a chat, with Phoebe being her usual grumpy self whatever the day of year!

The weather was a mixed bag on Saturday the 2nd of January, cloudy and dull, with some light rain in the morning and the odd ray of sunshine from midday onwards. It was quite chilly at only 3°C.

After breakfast, I scared away a whole army of dust bunnies when I treated the upstairs rooms to a long overdue vacuum cleaning session.



The sun put in a hesitant appearance while we were having lunch, so we thought we'd risk it and go for a walk. After tossing around some ideas, rejecting quite a few options due their muddy nature, we decided on the sculpture park, Middelheim. This was against our better judgment, as it tends to be quite busy with walkers and the inevitable Pokémon hunters on weekend afternoons. 

The weather not being at its best behaviour, however, played in our advantage, as it turned out to be not too crowded, especially when we kept well away from the main paths.


Our meanderings always seems to take us to the Braem Pavilion, to which we are drawn like moths to a flame. Designed by architect Renaat Braem (1910-2001) and completed in 1971, it merges organically with its natural surroundings.


The flying saucer in front of the pavillion is by legendary Belgian artist Panamarenko (1940-2019). 

Panamarenko is considered one of the greatest Belgian artists of the second half of the 20th century. Many of his works are based on the dream of flying and the mythical character of Icarus. 

When I was living in digs in the North of Antwerp in the early 1980s, I often passed the house he lived and worked in, which was at the opposite end of my street. In 2007, Panamarenko donated the house and its contents to Antwerp's Museum of Modern Art, who restored the building and reconstructed Panamarenko's life down to the smallest details. At the artist's request, a helicopter platform was constructed on its roof. The house is currently closed to visitors but I'd love to visit one day, combining it with a trip down memory lane.



The two ghost-like plaster figures are called Dialogue (1974) and are by the Antwerp-based but German-born sculptor Albert Szukalski (1945-2000).  He used living people as the models for plaster figures, laying lengths of fabric soaked in plaster over their bodies and allowing them to harden. The remaining husks of pale plaster were then coated in polyester to weatherproof them. 



The day's chilly temperatures prompted me to wear my beloved Princess coat for the first time this season. Thankful for its generous layer of fur at its collar and hem, I added additional warmth with my higgledy-piggledy striped knit scarf and woolly hat. I forgot to wear gloves, but regularly made use of  my coat's generous pockets.



Ah, look at those wonderful curves and flowing lines! The two curved screens at the back of the building serve as sun screens blocking direct sunlight and providing soft lighting within the exhibition space, while a large floor to ceiling glass wall with two doors connects it with the landscape the pavillion nestles in, linking them both visually and functionally. Organic Brutalism at its very best!



As more and more people had started to arrive, and it became a pain to do what Vix is aptly calling the Covid Shuffle, we started making our way back to our car.

There was still time for a socially distanced meet-up with one of my favourite sculptures. No prizes for guessing her name as yes, it is Running Girl (Kurt Gebauer, 1976). For a moment, frozen in time by a click of the camera, she let me share her limelight.



She has always intrigued me, this running girl. I mean, what is she running for, and why is there such a look of fear in her eyes? Now, more than ever, I can relate with her, as like her, I am running on the spot, with nowhere to escape to. I am sure that sometimes the look in my eyes matches hers, too.



We said our goodbyes and drove home, where the only thing left on the agenda was showing you what I was wearing underneath the Princess coat.

If I seem to be drawn to orange lately, it is purely subconsciously. I have read that it offers emotional strength in difficult times, so perhaps that's the reason.



I certainly didn't set out to combine this grey and white patterned dress with orange. The outfit was built around the dress, which I was determined to wear. It's a double knit polyester which was perfect to combat the chill of the day, and I just love its wallpaper print. Then I started playing around with accessories, which is a game I love to play, its end result often surprising me.

After adding the belt and the opaques, the rest was a doddle. I wore the pink, purple and orange wooden beaded necklace again - last seen with the unfortunate pale green dress - and selected an orange enamel flower patterned brooch from my collection. Et voilà!



I'll be back with another installment of the Covid-19 diaries in a couple of days.

Until then, I am counting on you to remain as safe, sensible, sane, and sensational as possible!




40 comments:

  1. Your sunburst skirt is a definite keeper, it's lovely.
    I always enjoy your visits to the sculpture park. The photo of you with the running girl is great, I thought she looked carefree until I saw her eyes but yes, she looks terrified.
    I have no hellebores in my garden and I'm not sure why because I really like them.
    I'm going to have to go and find out about Panamarenko now! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sally! Panamarenko was quite a legend here. I remember walking past his house with my friends, whispering in awe to each other that Panamarenko lived there ... xxx

      Delete
  2. I love your modern cinderella style 🤩. You look gorgeous Ann. Thank you for this art trip. Very interesting. I hope for a little bit sun, but it‘s only grey and rainy.
    I wish you a great weekend! With a very huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina! Today we finally had some sun - until mid afternoon, that is - after an endless string of rainy days! xxx

      Delete
  3. I love the red and blue outfit. It is so cheery and "warm" - just right for these cold days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ghost figures are extraordinary - and the fact that they were molded on real humans only heightens their captivating mystic, gripping beauty, and (aptly) haunting command of their environment.

    Many wishes for a cozy, fantastic weekend, my sweet friend!

    Autumn Zenith 🧡 Witchcrafted Life

    PS: I love (!!!) the necklace you're wearing in the first outfit. It makes me think of a galaxy's worth of planets arranged in jewelry form.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Autumn, and what a lovely description of my necklace, which made me love it even more! xxx

      Delete
  5. What a delight that maxi skirt is, wonderful colour and print. The orange is the perfect addition to the grey dress and your coat looks very snuggly and chic.
    Jos and Phoebe look like they're in a groovy 1960s film, yeah baby!
    The sculpture park is wonderful, I love that bizarre Brutalist building and I think I need a flying saucer in our garden now! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix, I had a feeling you might love that maxi skirt! I find that Brutalist building quite captivating, and both it and the flying saucer look perfectly at home in their natural surroundings! xxx

      Delete
  6. There's so much clothing in the world it makes sense to clear out the one's you're not excited by.
    Always love a visit to the sculpture park with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're quite right about there being so much clothing in the world. My wardrobe is packed to the gills, so I certainly won't be missing that dress! xxx

      Delete
  7. beautiful sculptures in the park, loved the flying saucer. Fabulous outfits, I especially enjoyed the mixing of bold blue and red.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I knew you would let that dress go - I find whenever I'm in doubt about a garment, my doubt tells me that it's time to let it go. I may have gasped out loud at your STUNNING vintage maxi skirt, Ann! That is one incredible piece. Good for you for hemming it!

    I am living vicariously and enjoying your sculpture park visit. If I ever make it to Belgium, I want to go there. Love every piece, but those draped figures are so haunting. The Running Girl - I guess that she is meant to spark those questions, as that's what good art does.

    Love your grey dress (you and I both in grey? what is the world coming to!) and it is especially wonderful mixed with orange (a most excellent colour).

    Aw, there's our cranky girl, Phoebe. Lovely to see you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wardrobe is packed as it is, so I won't regret finally getting rid of that dress. The maxi skirt is amazing, isn't it? I don't know why I'm not wearing it more! And it goes without saying that it would be a pleasure to take you and L. to Middelheim if you ever make it over here! Wouldn't that be something? xxx

      Delete
  9. Your new year outfit is gorgeous, especially that skirt. I think I’ve said it before about other outfits (haha) but I think this is my favourite. I’m also very fond of your Princess coat.
    Every time I see your fabulous sculpture park it reminds me that one day soon I want to visit the Yorkshire Sculpture park that is not to far from us.
    Have a peaceful weekend the three of you. Stay safe and warm.
    Love from us two xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynn! I've been enjoying the contents of my wardrobe even more now that I have more time to play and experiment! xxx

      Delete
  10. Your new year outfit is my favourite, such a fun and colourful combination! I'm impressed you could hem the skirt yourself too, life would be much easier if I could do that with everything that's too long for my petite self, haha! :)

    It's good you got out to explore too even if it got a little crowded later.

    Hope that you are having a wonderful weekend :) We went to the rainforest again yesterday, the kids had the best time!

    Away From Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mica! Being petite myself,life would be much easier if I could operate my late Mum's sewing machine. It was quite a job hemming the skirt and its lining by hand! xxx

      Delete
  11. Nice to be able to enjoy nature and admire those wonderful works of art in the meantime. Valuable photos and information! Impressive look of the girl ... Always a good inspiration your outfits ... and how wonderful the orange cardigan on the gray dress ..
    Hugs, Carmela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carmela! We are so lucky to have that sculpture park practically on our doorstep! xxx

      Delete
  12. The running girl is beautiful. I think she is flying. I wish you a lovely Sunday. Where are you heading? Regula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Regula! I don't think we went anywhere last weekend, it rained practically all the time! xxx

      Delete
  13. Loving those colours... Very bold! The photo of you with one of your favourite sculptures is so lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for visiting my blog an commenting, Nikki! xxx

      Delete
  14. Love that first blue skirt.
    So many wonderful sculptures.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your New Year's Eve outfit was wonderful! I loved everything and the colours just bounced beautifully off each other.

    I am very envious of your sculpture park - what an amazing place to go for a walk. Loved the flying saucer and the running girl imitation you did is spot on!

    Such lovely orange accessories with the grey wallpaper dress and I love your Princess coat; it looks so warm and cosy!

    Take care
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vronni! We are so lucky to have that sculpture park nearby. It's only 15 minutes by car. And no matter how many times we visit it, there's always something new that catches our eye! xxx

      Delete
  16. Love this psychedelic sunburst print, so magnificent! and you've styled this maxi skirt brilliantly!, looking gorgeous!. And loving your belt, it's such a versatile piece.
    Totally agree about crowded parks and pokémon hunters (aren't they ridiculous?), and you made me laugh mentioning the Covid Shuffle. But this is a gorgeous park for a walk and love the 'organic brutalism' of this building. And you're looking fab in your coat and cute boots, and lovely orange cardi!, orange is vitaminic!, no wonder you picked this color to enhance this lovely dress. Loving your brooch and beads!, you rock accessories!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica! I love the expression Covid Shuffle, but it's Vix who came up with it :-) Orange is indeed very vitaminic, and I seem to be reaching for it a lot lately. xxx

      Delete
  17. Beautiful outfits.
    I've been forced to do a couple home haircuts as well-what a joy it will be when we can finally live again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Goody, it certainly will be! I'm plucking up the courage to do a home colouring ... xxx

      Delete
  18. The sunburst skirt is certainly worthy of a ball! Your first orange cardigan is lovely, it's almost jacket like which makes it smart without being dressed up - my favourite kind of clothing item. Your second orange cardigan is also a delight! It looks like it has a really pleasing pattern.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one to have long overdue vacuuming sessions, dust bunnies are part of the furniture here!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hazel, and I'm breathing a sigh of relief I'm not the only one who has dust bunnies galore ;-) xxx

      Delete
  19. I love The Dialogue what an amazing sculpture and that is a lovely building.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for taking us to the sculpture park with you. Belgium has some beautiful modernist architecture.

    If the dress never felt right, it's a good move to set it free - it's going to be someone's perfect frock, and it'll make room for something else in your wardrobe. Happiness all round.

    ReplyDelete