Monday 2 November 2020

Wind was blowing, time stood still

As from today, Belgium is in lockdown again, with non-essential shops as well as hairdressers and the like having to close for six weeks. Cafés and restaurants were already forced to close two weeks ago. On top of this, social contacts have been further limited, with each household being allowed to have one close contact only. We can only invite one person inside our homes, which has to be the same person throughout, while outdoors the existing rule of maximum four people remains in place, all with masks and distancing, obviously.

None of these restrictions will make much of a difference to the way we have been living our lives these last seven and a half months, except that our newly regained charity shopping expeditions are once again off the cards. And as beret and woolly hat time will soon be upon us, #Coronahair won't be too much of an issue this time around.

Admittedly, rules aren't anything near as strict as during Belgium's first lockdown back in Spring, but still it seems that time is not just on a standstill, but going backwards, with the time machine stuck in an endless loop, doing the time warp on repeat.

But first let's go back to two weeks ago, when on Sunday we resumed out cat-sitting duties at Jos's son and daughter-in-law, those lucky so-and-so's who were away to the seaside for the weekend. 

That morning, I selected this new-to-me skirt from my wardrobe for its very first wear. Made from jersey polyester, with trails of red and off-white roses caught between off-white diagonals, it was another one of my Think Twice birthday trawl finds.

I picked up the red with yet another Think Twice find, this one dating from several years ago, a tomato red blouse with white bobble trim at its collar and yoke. To this, I pinned a vintage floral brooch featuring an arrangement of Alpine flowers. Further accessories included a blue and white beaded necklace and ditto striped plastic ring.



One of my favourite stretchy belts came out to play again, its multi-hued buckle unifying all the colours. My navy ankle boots were a retail buy from a local shop called Lovely Shoes back in the mists of time, while the grey and blue floral cardigan was a recent charity shop find.

Speaking of grey, here's the gorgeous but haughty and possibly plotting Abby again! We had probably woken her up as initially there was no sign of her, until she appeared sleepy eyed on the stairs leading down from the top floor. 



Still on the subject of grey, it was one of those days, dismal and miserable, without any gaps in the solid blanket of clouds.

But whatever the weather, there's still a colour fix to be had by looking through our kitchen window. The passageway patio plants are still flowering profusely and a sea of Busy Lizzies are keeping the wondrous Toad Lily company.  Only a couple of days later the latter was looking much less appealing, as something had been nibbling both its leaves and flowers. With silvery trails on the crime scene, snails are high on the suspect list!



Typically, Monday being an office day, it was reasonably sunny and not too cold, so I made the most of it by running an errand during my lunch break.

However, all traces of sunshine had disappeared by Tuesday, the weather and its fickleness matching the mood I was in.

Nothing my colourful wardrobe couldn't fix though! Especially not with an old favourite like this  purple and lilac floral frock, which happened to be one of my earliest vintage finds ever. Sunshine was provided by my ochre yellow beads and opaques as well as the sunburst brooch pinned to my dress's dropped collar.



The cardigan - or perhaps it's a jacket - is H&M by way of the charity shops back in September and offered a contrast in both colour and pattern. My burgundy boots were a darker shade of the same colour.


We were out of bread mix, so we drove down to the garden centre which, oddly as it sounds, has an excellent baking department. We also picked up a supply of garden bird seeds and two hanging pots of pansies. The latter were roped in to replace the declining strawberry plant and the hanging basket of Petunias, which had never properly recovered from our week of neglect while we were gallivanting around the west country.



In spite of the drizzle which had started to fall as if on cue, I hung them up immediately. Look at them presiding over our rather soggy looking garden!



On Wednesday morning, I could hear the rain tick-tocking on our skylight as soon as I woke up. The day was fraught with obstacles, starting with having to avoid the motorway on the way to work, as we noticed a queue ahead. Driving to Antwerp on the secondary roads was reasonably stress-free but I still arrived at the office much later than usual. 

Around midday, while the rain had stopped and the sun had come out, the wind dramatically picked up speed. Returning from my lunch time walk around the block, I had to lean into the buffeting wind which almost blew me off my feet.


On our way home in the car that evening, I was mesmerized by the sight of the newly built province headquarters, the almost but not quite yet bare trees swaying in front of its outlandish triangular window, looking for all the world like a giant with multiple, dolefully staring, eyes.


On Thursday, I woke up to a sunny day, and felt strangely refreshed and calm.

Even the ominous newspaper reports that rules might yet again have to be strengthened and that there might even be some sort of lockdown looming on the horizon could not get me out of my equilibrium.

While Jos was doing a food shop, I sorted out my collection of opaques, putting the ones in use into two transparent plastic containers so that I can now see what I've got at a glance. Then I filled two spare plastic baskets with packets of unopened ones, with a row of those in traditional flat packing lined up on the bottom of my wardrobe. I'm in the habit of picking them up in charity shops whenever I get the chance or bulk-buying them in the sales, so lockdown: I am ready for you!



The day's outfit was built around my recently acquired green and white patterned woollen skirt. For some reason, I struggled a bit to find a suitable companion before deciding on this yellow, black and white retro print blouse by French brand Mademoiselle YéYé, a charity shop find in July 2019.


I'm surprised by how orange the opaques I'm wearing look in the photos, as in real life the colour is much closer to that of the blouse! 

First wearing of the sage green ankle boots I bought earlier that month. 

I accessorized with a green enamelled butterfly brooch, a red, black and cream marbled ring, and an unstructured burgundy belt with round buckle. A burgundy fluffy cardigan was added for braving the outside world.


After lunch, I went out into the garden and emptied the contents of the redundant hanging basket, as well as some other plants which had finished flowering, into the compost bin. Then I sorted all the empty terracotta pots by size, and put them away into the potting shed, ready for next year.

Wednesday's gale force wind had unfortunately made a casualty: the top heavy cluster of Fuchsia bells which were about to burst open had been torn off completely at the root. How sad!




The blushing Chrysanthemums (top left) have all wilted by now, but the hardy Geraniums, Nasturtiums and Salvias are still refusing to give up, supplying the last of the bees with some well-needed nectar.




As for our giant Fuchsia magellanica bush, I'm sure it will hang on for a while yet, as it's not uncommon for it to bloom well into December.

Doesn't it look heavenly against that timeless blue sky complete with cotton wool cloud, the only sign of so-called civilization the vapour trail left by a plane high above?

I'm wishing all of you who are about to go into another lockdown lots of courage. The main thing is that we all stay safe and sane!



38 comments:

  1. It really is like time standing still isn't it Ann. Have you planted bulbs yet for spring? I've wanted to get in the garden for ages but the rain has been constant! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, Laurie! I've just finished planting Spring bulbs now that we finally had a a couple of bright and sunny days! xxx

      Delete
  2. It is disappointing, but hopefully this lockdown will be effective.
    Gorgeous outfits, and I'm in love with all your colourful boots. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Goody! The transmission rate seems to be going down, so that's something at least! xxx

      Delete
  3. I love the touches of yellow - with the purple dress and with the green skirt in the last outfit :) I always find it a cheerful colour to wear!

    Sorry you are going into another lockdown - I hope it's not a long one and you are able to have a normal Christmas at the end of it! We have only had one lockdown so far, but another state just came out of their very extended second lockdown recently - we are all thankful they did that to stop the cases spreading further across Australia, they did the hard work to keep us all safe! We haven't had any cases here for weeks - over a month and a half now - but I'm still avoiding shopping in person as much as possible and trying to stick to quiet places when we go out with the kids.

    Hope that your week is off to a good start :)

    Away From Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mica! We had hoped to avoid another lockdown, but in the end, it was the only option. And it's not as strict as the first one, so that at least we can go for walks and outings outside our immediate area! xxx

      Delete
  4. Hang in there, Ann! It's so stressful to have to go back into lockdown, after all this time!

    Your outfits are fabulous, as always! I love the bold red with the patterned skirt, that purple dress is a stunner! and I love that yellow blouse. I hate it when my colours don't match in my pictures - my purple sparkly spider mask is the exact colour of the sweater dress I wore on the weekend, but they look completely different in the photos. Arg!

    I'm glad your garden is still blooming - we're seeing the local gardens wind down, in favour of deep pockets of leaves everywhere. So many deer, too!

    Abby is so very lovely - she looks very soft and fuzzy - but Ms. Phoebe's tum is very inviting!

    I hope this week goes well for you, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila! I'm not finding it too hard to go into lockdown again, especially since we are allowed to move freely and go for walks outside our immediate area. And garden centres and bookshops are still open ... not charity shops, unfortunately! xxx

      Delete
  5. Sorry you're facing new restrictions. It'd demoralizing to think we aren't making progress. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ally, it is indeed quite demoralizing. I hope people have learned from the first time, and will now stick to the rules! xxx

      Delete
  6. We're locked down from Thursday, I'm making the house cosy in preparation!
    I love the yellow top with green/white skirt. I have an affection for yellow and the shade you are wearing is my favourite.
    It's nice to see the last of the colour in your garden, the leaves are being stripped from the trees in the wind we've had here, winter almost here, so a bit of colour is good to see.
    Hoping you,Jos and Phoebe have a happy safe lockdown. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sally, and that's my favourite shade of yellow too! Surprisingly I've no problem with this second lockdown. I just hope it will help to improve things! xxx

      Delete
  7. Sorry that you are back in lockdown again, all we are now doing the time warp on repeat.
    Love your red&navy outfit, a favourite color combo, and your new skirt looks really cosy!. The brooch and belt are also fab accessories. Lovely to see (probably plotting) Abby again, she's gorgeous and she knows it!.

    I'm in love with the purple, burgundy and yellow color combo in your second outfit. The mixed patterns and textures, the delightfully matchy accessories, everything is Fabulous!. You Rock It!

    Lovely to see your opaques collection!, glad to read that I'm not the only one who buy in bulk when posible! ;DD

    And also love your green and white wollen skirt, and the stunning ensemble you created around it. This yellow blouse totally rocks, so cute mixed patterns!, and burgundy details go perfectly!.
    Your new hanging pots of pansies have put a smile on my face, and probably encourage me to plant some pansies too. I feel inspired by your gardens (Vix and you!) even if I only have some balcony pots!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you once again for your lovely comment, Monica! It would be silly not to bulk buy if you come across something good, and I'm not talking about loo roll, obviously :-)) We used to live in a 12th floor apartment, so my gardening career started on a balcony too. They might be small, but you can still make them look attractive! xxx

      Delete
  8. We get new rules tonight. Our restaurants are also already closed for weeks but now cinemas have to close. Stupid rules, just do a complete lock down! Ah there are those gorgeous stairs again! And Phoebe of course. Enjoy the silence......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have been dithering about the rules here for months, so I'm actually glad we have this so-called lockdown, even if it is not as strict as the first one back in Spring! xxx

      Delete
  9. Fabulous pattern clashing, what a joy your outfits are!
    Abby is such a cutie although I'd rather like to get my hand's on Phoebe's tummy, it looks wonderfully inviting!
    Dove Cottage's garden is still looking spectacular, so much colour. I've spent so long sweeping up leaves today that I've got blisters, that'll teach me.
    That's good news that you're allowed to have visitor, even if it's only the one. Jon and I can meet someone else separately in a park and stay two metres apart but we can't meet the same person together. No wonder nobody knows what they're doing!
    Stay safe! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix! It seems a bit silly that you can't meet the same person together. They're really making a mess of all those often incomprehensible rules, aren't they? I'd be careful getting your hands on Phoebe's tum, though, it might end up in A&E :-) xxx

      Delete
  10. thanx ann! here we have a "mild" lockdown" with culture, leisure facilities and gastronomy closed and privat parties forbidden but all shops & hairdressers still open. but like you, nothing much is changing for us as we are self isolation most of the time since march. only my traditional birthday gathering will be canceled this year.
    abby is such a beauty - and phoebe looks quite exhausted :-D but your garden is still a firework of blooms. i would like to have hanging pots too for the summer salon, but hate the nasty plastik ones ;-)
    LOOOVE the H&M jacket over the purple dress - gorgeous!!!
    take care! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think our lockdown is a mild one too, compared with the one back in Spring. So glad I'd just been to the hairdresser, though! Sorry to hear your traditional birthday gathering won't be happening this year, even if it is for the best :-( xxx

      Delete
  11. Thank you deeply, dearest Ann. This winter, I suspect, even on the iciest days, when the weather will take something of a backseat to the constant concerns, restrictions, challenges, and realities of the pandemic, as it nears its first anniversary (and, no doubt, beyond).

    May we all remain safe and healthy, find (renewed) strength when it runs low, and never lose sight of the promise of brighter days - both from the return of springtime and of the day when (hopefully!) this devastating pandemic is behind us at long last.

    Autumn Zenith 🎃 Witchcrafted Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your heartfelt comment, Autumn. I totally agree that the weather will be taking a back seat this Winter. The most important thing, surely, is that we all remain healthy! xxx

      Delete
  12. Oh yes we have another lockdown light, haha. I hope it works.
    Ann I am in love with you wearing violet and yellow together. So fresh :)
    You still have beautiful flowers in the garden.Here they begin to wither.
    Please stay healthy Ann and Jos. With a very huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina, and yes, I do hope this new lockdown, whatever form it takes, will work and, more importantly, that people will finally follow the rules! xxx

      Delete
  13. Glad to hear your life won't be too adversely affected by the new lockdown. I meant to say on your previous post how beautiful were the toad lilies - sorry to hear the snails have been dining on them!

    Our garden is a mess and I am hoping OH will have a good clear up and sort out this weekend. I bought some crysanths for the first time ever and was very disappointed at how quickly they faded.

    Loved your outfits; you are wearing more skirts and they suit you. Loved mustard yellow top with the green skirt and the sage green boots are fab. You have an opaques collection to die for! Mine are spread over 2 baskets and one drawer. I have colour coded them but in one basket they're all in shoe bags so I have to look at each bag to see what colour is in there - which is time consuming and annoying...

    Abby is a very good looking cat - and she knows it!

    Will you still have to go into the office in this new lockdown?

    Take care
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was actually disappointed with the Chrysanths too, and I don't think I'll make the expense next year! We've just had a good clearing and bulb planting session, we we've definitely made progress in Winter-proofing the garden! xx

      Delete
  14. What a beautiful garden, Ann! Thoughts rest and energies are recharged near those beautiful blooms! I love the textures of the clothes you wore ... I love that pearl-lit sunburst brooch! Beautiful Phoebe and Abby! Stay safe!
    Hugs, Carmela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carmela! The garden always manages to boost my mood, whatever the season! xxx

      Delete
  15. Our cats come running at the slightest whisper of ours. They are never too sleepy to beg for food. All the best in these terrible days. Regula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Regula! Phoebe certainly loves her - and most of our - food :-) xxx

      Delete
  16. Dear Ann, I too am pleased that the lockdown won't affect you too much . Your garden is still blooming beautifully , the new pansies look lovely, I do love their little faces.
    Your outfits are always so beautifully co-ordinated and always with the perfect finishing touches.Your bright, cheery colours must bring you so much joy on the darker days.
    Stay safe . xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jill. I always find it hard to resist pansies, with their cheerful little faces. And my mood always improves when I'm wearing colour! xxx

      Delete
  17. Yes, you are right. Staying sane and healthy is a priority right now. Let's hope lockdown helps things in Belgium.
    You look gorgeous in that new to.you red skirt paird with a red top. The print on the skirt is so pretty, such a great find. I also like the green skirt paired with a yellow top.
    Your garden looks lovely in any season. I've just arrived to my home in Mostar and I'm quite disoriented still but I replanrted some succulents I brought from Hvar immediately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivana! I do hope the transition to your home in Mostar isn't too stressful. Bringing succulents from Hvar must be a help! xxx

      Delete
  18. Is it weird that I just want to smoosh my face into Phoebe's tummy? My cats are so used to me doing that now, they hardly react :)
    Seems like we're all going to need to hunker down and ride out the next few weeks. I hope your beautiful garden continues to bring you cheer :)
    Take care
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hazel. It's not weird, but certainly not advisable, and I'm sure it won't end well :-) We've made the most of the string of sunny days we are currently having to plant Spring bulbs, and it felt so energizing being out in the garden! Stay safe! xxx

      Delete
  19. P. S The purple dress looks fabulous paired with the burgundy cardigan (or light jacket) from H&M. I also like the boots in the same colour. Burgundy is such a pretty colour for Autumn. Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivana! I do love burgundy for Autumn too! xxx

      Delete