Friday 20 November 2020

The sun still rises

We were treated to a string of deliciously sunny days in the first week of November which it would have been downright silly not to have made the most of.

All too soon, we will yet again be confined inside our homes, held hostage by the rhythm of the rain against our windows, with premature darkness lulling us to sleep mid-afternoon.

Tinged with an unmistakable nostalgia, golden Autumn days are to be treasured. Held up against the light to all the better savour their timeless beauty. Breathe in whole lungfuls of their sweet musky scent.


It feels as if we are living on borrowed time on such days, so on the Friday of that week - we were the 6th of November by now - we decided to top up our vitamin D levels for the barren times ahead.

Packing a couple of sandwiches and a flask of coffee, we journeyed towards the wondrous wetlands of our favourite nature reserve, the enchanting and never disappointing Blaasveldbroek.

I'd quite forgotten about the flouncy hemmed Tweed skirt I was wearing, which I must have picked up in a charity shop last Winter but which had remained unworn until now. It was just perfect for the job  and combined excellently with the multi-hued tartan Gigue jacket I charity shopped back in October.



The morning was already nudging noon when we parked our car in our usual spot facing a shady, tree-hemmed pond which once upon a time provided private fishing. 

I always think it looks like the reserve's plentiful other ponds and lakes' poor cousin, its dark mirrored surface making it appear gloomy whatever the season. 


From here, we set off upon a path we only recently discovered this Summer. Typically, as it happens, by taking a wrong turn on our way back. At that time, if offered a green and shady reprieve from the day's oppressing heat. Now, it was awash with the multi-coloured offerings of the trees.



The last time I stood on this jetty, the mercury had climbed well into the 30s, and I would have had a hard time imagining standing here again just a matter of months later, wearing Tweeds and woollens, a scarf and a beret.

Nevertheless, I could well have done without the latter two, as the temperature was still quite balmy on this November day, reaching highs of about 15°C. 



Soon plagued by hunger pangs due to our late start, we searched out a sunny bench in a quiet spot for our picnic.

We'd only met a handful of people by then, most of them lone dog-walkers or small family units, but it would get significantly more crowded as the day progressed. 

Sat on our bench soaking up the sun's rays, we got talking to some passers-by, a friendly couple with whom we marvelled at the fact that everything still looked quite green, all things considered, and that some of the trees had hardly begun to change colour.


Afterwards we continued our walk, making a slight detour to the little whitewashed chapel at the other end of the reserve. 

On the fisherman's jetty opposite we found the perfect spot for more outfit photos, this time minus jacket and scarf.

The zig-zag patterned pink, brown and pale grey V-neck jumper was another old charity shop find and just long enough to wear over my skirt rather than tucked in. I accented my waist with my zebra print belt, a much worn retail buy from exactly a year ago. I can't believe I wasn't wearing a brooch, so that my only piece of jewellery is my necklace with its different textures, materials and colour. This too was a pre-Covid retail buy.



The balmy weather continued into the weekend. Having free weekdays at our disposal, the weekends are usually spent at home, as we are intent on avoiding even the most minor of crowds.

On Saturday morning, I donned my gardening gear again, planting up a recently vacated hanging basket with a white cyclamen, a cheeky-faced pansy and an ornamental cabbage.




We'd also bought a magenta cyclamen, which I gave a home in the square pot which recently housed some wilted cream Chrysanthemums, planting up a small terracotta pot and an old enamel coffee pot with more pansies.

My final gardening feat that morning was planting just over half of these drumstick Alliums in different spots in the garden. They too were picked up at the garden centre two days previously.



After a lunch of Jos's homemade soup, we still had the whole of a sun-drenched afternoon in front of us, which obviously we couldn't allow to go to waste.

Thus we hopped in the car for a short ride to one of our neighbouring village's leafy park.



The park is part of the former pleasure grounds of a castle called Solhof and was designed in an English landscape style said to be inspired by Capability Brown. 

Nowadays, it is a semi-neglected warren of meandering paths skirting a lawn which offers vistas of the moated former castle, now much modernized and turned into a luxury hotel.



There's an ice-house built into a mound, which can be climbed by way of a spiralling path to reach the gazebo on top, to which I've taken you a couple of times before.

As we could hear voices up there, we decided to give it a miss this time. 

There were quite a few people about - it was a Saturday after all - but there was more than enough space for keeping one's distance.

It looks like we were in luck, as later that day, we would read tales of nature reserves and other green spaces being jam-packed with people.



My raspberry red dress with its print of white and yellow dots and dashes came from Episode, a Dutch chain of vintage shops, where it begged me to take it home in January 2019.

Matching the yellow dots, I added a yellow cardigan and opaques, while even my snake print handbag - just big enough for essentials - joined in the matchy-matchy game.



Further accessories were my vintage Bohemian seed-beaded brooch, a multi-coloured and textured beaded necklace and one of my stretchy, chevron patterned, belts.



As usual, walking through the crunchy carpets of scarlets, browns and golds, with brilliant shafts of sunlight piercing the canopies of the majestic old trees, got our spirits soaring, and it was with much lighter hearts that we made our way back home.

Or tried to, anyway, as a road diversion initially thwarted our plans and made us drive around in circles, with the radio playing 1970s chart music, to which we happily sang along.

And that brings us to the end of this post, but not before I show you what I was wearing on Sunday.

In spite of the initial forecast, it turned out to be another sunny day, although there were some minor clouds to be spied here and there.




My journal tells me I did a bit of mending on a jumper and a granny square blanket and ironed some of the skirts which had recently come out of hibernation. The latter is a major event, as I had been shirking my ironing duties for months!

But back to that outfit I promised to show you. 

My cobalt blue dress with its full-on print of flowers and pagodas, doesn't need further introduction as it has made it to the blog more than once before. I picked up the pink in its print by wearing pink opaques and a pink ajour cardigan. This originally had a drawstring at the waist, which I removed, as it was the reason I was hardly wearing it.



I added another one of my stretchy, woven belts, combining pink with yellow and off-white. 

A pale green Miracle brooch was pinned to my cardigan. The string of wooden beads was an old charity shop find. 

Still breaking in the charity shopped Fly London ankle boots which have yet to be taken on a trip.

I will be back - with a less sunny aspect, unfortunately - in a couple of days. In the meantime, as usual, I am hoping that all of your are staying safe, sane and fabulous!


42 comments:

  1. love tartan on tweed! even more with a gobelin bag and topped with a beret :-D
    its very nice that you were able to go for your beloved walks in the beautiful nature of the reserve and park. even here the autumn is still colorful - esp. golden from the larch and birch trees......
    hugs! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beate, I'm quite partial to a tweed and tartan combo myself! xxx

      Delete
  2. Wonderful to walk on that path of autumn leaves. You're right, now you have to wear the beloved scarves ... Your raspberry dress is beautiful with the yellow cardigan, I think it is perfect with it ... but the beads of the necklace are crocheted? .. Joy !! We enjoy the sunny days, the beautiful flowers, color our outfits and our hours!
    Hugs, Carmela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carmela! The necklace's beads are all wearing a "crocheted jacket" it seems! Isn't it wonderful? xxx

      Delete
  3. What joyous walks, both of them. I'm not sure if nature's more colourful than usual or that we've never had enough to appreciate it all before now.
    You and Jos look fantastic bathed in the golden glow of late Autumn. Your Missoni-esque jumper is lovely with the tweed and chunky boots, the bag is so pretty and the print on your last dress a triumph of the 1970s.
    A friend gave me a pair of Fly shoes a few years ago and I ended up having to sell them, they were cut really strangely and made my hip ache. Hope you fare better with yours!
    Stay safe and have a fab weekend (whatever one of those is!) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix! I've always love Autumn colours, but it's true that this year nature has been a bit more colourful, or at least that the colours lasted longer than usual. The jury's still out on the Fly London boots! xxx

      Delete
  4. What lovely outfits you've been wearing! I loved the raspberry and mustard combo and the print on that last dress is gorgeous. Loved the pink paired with it.

    How great it is you have such wonderful parks/nature reserves close to you and where you can escape to when the weather is fine enough.

    Although it was cold and wet yesterday there were periods when the sun shone and it was glorious when it did; unfortunately it didn't last long enough!

    Love the newly planted basket and those alliums look amazing.

    Take care
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vronni! I guess you're right, we do have quite a few parks and nature reserves on our doorstep. Couldn't resist these drumstick alliums, although 50 was far too much for a garden our size! xxx

      Delete
  5. We are so lucky with the weather lately aren't we. I don't want to think of weeks of rain and sitting inside. Bleh. I love that you take sandwiches and coffee with you. We should do that too, I'm always hungry when we go for a walk. Tweed is so difficult to find don't you think. Especially that real English tweed. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy, and yes, we've definitely been lucky. I find that my mood plummets whenever we are faced with a grey day, like today! xxx

      Delete
  6. Dear Ann, you write with such poetic presence and interspective loveliness. It is always a sincere pleasure to spend time in the company of your soulful, inspiring posts.

    May you have a cozy, wonderful weekend.

    Autumn Zenith 🎃 Witchcrafted Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Autumn, your comments really means the world to me, and I'll treasure it forever! xxx

      Delete
  7. The tweed/tartan combination is wonderful. I already went wild for the yellow purse when I saw it on Instagram, but having a closer look here, I love it all the more. Sunday's dress though, what a stunning piece.

    I hope the good weather continues for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Goody! I wasn't going to buy any more purses, but this one was simply too good to resist. Only for weekend outings, though, it's awfully small :-) xxx

      Delete
  8. Glad you got a bit of sunshine on your lovely walk.

    Love your fluffy scarf and beret – what gorgeous colours.

    Have a nice weekend. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jess! That fluffy scarf almost looks like a pink boa, doesn't it? xxx

      Delete
  9. Wonderful to see the sunny weather and the green nature. How curious that the leaves only started to turn colour ( on the sixth of November, if I remember correctly the time of the walk). Usually by the beginning of November, they already do that, don't they? From what I have seen here, most trees have changed colour but some have remained green. It is a curious sight, but I suppose it only adds to the wonderful colours. It is so nice to enjoy all the different colours in the nature and to see the woods. Autumn is really a magical time of a year and we should make the most of it.
    I really like all your outfits. The pink scarf in the first look is really cozy, and it matches the pink in your Tweed skirt (I'm sure it will not remained unworn now you have finally worn it, it really is a lovely item as you said yourself it pairs perfectly with that gorgeous jacket.
    The red dress with its interesting dot print is fabulous. The yellow details in the print match the yellow bag and cardi. The outfit with the blue printed dress is beautiful as well. Such a gorgeous print!
    I'm not very keen on ironing either, the only thing I enjoy ironing are the towels, I suppose it is because it's the easiest thing to iron?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivana! It's certainly been a strange Autumn, and it was reasonably mild for a long time, which I'm sure contributed to the leaves turning later than usual! xxx

      Delete
  10. It is a pleasure to go out and about in the countryside. Today we had the frist frost but later the sun came out. I like Novembers more each year. :-) Enjoy the weekend hopefully outside in the sun. xxx Regula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Regula! November certainly hasn't disappointed this year, it's been very mild and sunny, overall. xxx

      Delete
  11. Good afternoon. Thanks for visiting my Blogger. I'm glad you liked Inhotim's story. If one day you come to Brazil and I can, I will take you there with pleasure.
    I would like to invite you to be a new follower of my Blogger. Thank you very much for your attention and visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Luiz. It would be a pleasure to follow you, but I'd also love it if you commented on the contents of my blog in return! xxx

      Delete
  12. Ah, that first photo of you with the beautiful, still water behind you is gorgeous! The tweedy skirt is fabulous! What a pretty twirly look!
    I love the cobalt dress- it really is ebullient! You look fab in it!
    WHAAAT? An outfit without a brooch? Shocking!!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kezzie! I'm quite loving that photo too. The light is simply fantastic this time of year! I guess I was in such a hurry to go for a walk that I forgot all about adding a brooch! xxx

      Delete
  13. That tweed skirt is so beautiful with the zig zag knit, and I love the red dress and mustard cardigan together! I really need to wear more mustard! :) It's nice you got some time outdoors enjoying the sunny weather - although I have to say 15 degrees sounds so cold to this Brissy gal, haha!

    Hope you are having a great weekend :) We went out and did more Christmas shopping yesterday which was fun :)

    Away From The Blue | Handbag Gift Guide

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mica! I find mustard is such a versatile colour! Believe me, 15°C is warm for November. We usually have single figures by then! xxx

      Delete
  14. I've noticed over the last few days that the final leaves have gone from the trees so its lovely to see your photos and reminisce about the beautiful colours we've had this year.
    I was very taken with the raspberry and mustard combination, they look great together. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sally! Looking at the birch tree across the street as I type, it has indeed lost all its leaves by now! Well, I guess it had to happen sometime! xxx

      Delete
  15. What a lovely day you had. Pretty necklace and brooch.
    We too are trying to enjoy what little cool sunny days we have left. While we do not get that much rain but soon the bitter cold will come upon us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hena! Unfortunately, when it starts raining here, it often does not stop for days on end! I guess we have been lucky in that department! xxx

      Delete
  16. I'm glad to see you indulging in both Colour Therapy and Nature Therapy, Ann! I love the tweed skirt and that zigzag knit is wonderful - I like it worn over the waistband of the skirt with the belt.

    The burgundy and ochre mixed outfit is pleasing to my eye (I love the purse), and your vibrant pink (nearly PANK!) cardi over that eye-searing (in a good way, ha ha) cobalt dress makes me feel warm and happy. I'm really glad you've been able to get out and get into nature to help calm the inner turmoil - I hope things are okay, as I'm worried about the "less than sunny aspect" comment of yours. :(

    Take care, my dear! Much love to you and Jos and Phoebe too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila! As you've probably guessed, it was your zigzag jumper which prompted me to wear mine! We were fortunate to be able to go on a couple of nature walks lately, so that my inner turmoil has properly been dealt with ;-) xxx

      Delete
  17. Not much beats an autumn walk through a carpet of crunchy leaves. It's nice we've had some sunny days, with everything that's going on grey days are the last thing we need!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love a leaf-crunching walk, and only having to work two days a week means I have been able to indulge this Autumn :-) xxx

      Delete
  18. Ooh you look smashing in all your pretty outfits. Isn’t it wonderful when Mother Nature surprises us with a warm balmy 15 Celcius on a weekend? It’s nice to strip off some layers and feel the air on exposed skin.

    Very smart that you 2 are topping up your Vitamin D!

    Love the flower pic in addition to all the outfit pics!

    Happy thrifting ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment. It was lovely to see you pop up in my reader again. I honestly didn't know it had been that long! Oh, and I love sharing my garden's progress, especially now that we've been rediscovering it this year! xxx

      Delete
  19. You are so good at layering. The first look is awesome!
    xoxo
    Lovely
    www.mynameislovely.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lovely! I guess layering becomes second nature in our climate :-) xxx

      Delete
  20. Lovely to see you enjoying these autumnal hues in the sunshine and looking fabulous in your tweed skirt and tartan jacket and adorable chevron pink pullover, so brilliant ensemble!, and so brilliant accessorizing, love the contrasting belt!.
    Love your raspberry red dress with the yellow cardi and tights and the cute bag, looking so delightfully matchy!.
    And I love particularly your cobalt blue dress with its pagodas and floral motives, enhanced by the pink details, and the fab accessorizing, the belt, brooch and necklace!. Gorgeous!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Monica! That final dress's print is quite something, isn't it? xxx

      Delete
  21. Those look like lovely walks. (And flouncy *and* tweed? That skirt's a real winner.)

    ReplyDelete