Thursday 8 August 2019

Heatwave woes

I'm giving you - and myself - another break from the travelogue, which is nearing its final stages, by treating you to another outfit based post.

The weeks keep hurtling by at what feels like the speed of light, come and gone within the blink of an eye, and it's mind-boggling at times to look at the calendar and find that it's August already and that the summer months will soon be just a distant memory.

But enough already with being maudlin, let's proceed with a round-up of the outfits I've been wearing when we were in the throes of the Big Heat.

It's good to have a photographic record courtesy of Instagram, as left to its own devices, my mind is drawing a bit of a blank.


Sunshine and showers played a game of tag on the Saturday before the heatwave. I was wearing a butterfly sleeved Diolen dress with a dense flower print in blue, green, yellow, white and pink. 

I accessorized it with a green belt, necklace and ring, but opted for a bright blue soft leather handbag, which I found in a charity shop in Bridgnorth. The brooch I selected features tiny embroidered flowers. 


I took the blue handbag on its very first outing, which included a trip to the optician's to pick up Jos's new multifocals. Aren't they snazzy?


Then we made a slight detour to the nearest charity shop, where I found the blue suede shoes I'm wearing with my outfit, as well as a lovely lemon and lime curtain.


There was a flea market on Sunday 21st of July, which was Belgium's National Holiday, but we were both feeling a bit sluggish and not up to the 30-minute drive and one kilometer walk it would involve.

So, we stayed at home and pottered instead. 



Being a bit apprehensive about the heatwave which was forecast to hit us in the next days, we were thinking of ways to keep it cool inside the house. This would involve living in semi-darkness while it lasted. However, up until now we had no means of obscuring the sunlight streaming in through our front door's window and fan. This is where the charity shop curtain came in. All that was needed was an extending shower curtain rod and some sturdy safety pins!


A day pottering at home doesn't mean being a slob in my book, so I wore a sleeveless vintage dress in sky blue with a floral print in orange, green and white.

I pinned my Bohemian brooch to its collar and wore an orange and white beaded necklace and sparkly plastic ring.


Oh, and I almost forgot to mention my main accessory, Phoebe! She wasn't too pleased to be picked up, though, and I soon had to let her go for my own safety.



I was wearing these new Clarks sandals for the very first time. Yes, you've read that right, and I'm pleading guilty: they are new and I bought them while I was in the UK.  Jos usually buys a pair of Clarks shoes when we're there as it's right in the middle of the sales, and I couldn't resist having a little browse myself.  I wasn't actually allowed to buy them as I'm participating in #slowfashionseason, but Jos said he'd buy them for me, so that they were a gift! 


I had Monday off as well, and here I am enjoying my morning coffee in the relative coolness of the garden before the sun was out in full force.

Temperatures were bound to climb into the high twenties that day, so I combined the Indian cotton skirt which I charity shopped in Shrewsbury with a stretchy cowl-necked top bought at a local charity shop last Summer. 

The massive seagull brooch was a gift from Vix and, staying within the seaside theme, I wore a shell necklace found in a Ludlow charity shop last year.

The chunky cups and saucers were made in Italy and were a lucky flea market find.



The heatwave started in earnest on Tuesday when the mercury kept rising towards the mid-thirties.

We have mobile A/C units at the office and I was fine wearing a sleeveless cotton frock until I hitched a ride home on a tram which turned out to be a mobile sauna. As I could wring a puddle of sweat from my frock by the time I got home, no outfit photos were taken that day.




None were taken on Wednesday either, when I was forced to face the heat for a hairdresser's appointment . I was wearing Monday's maxi skirt again, combining it with a cotton top which was another holiday charity shop find. You can catch a glimpse of it on the top left and bottom right. I wore colourful wooden beads with it, and this time I remembered to bring my Spanish fan.

Not that this was needed, as it was mercifully cool inside the salon. On my way there, I took some random snapshots. At least the 17th century street corner Madonna and her baby have a roof over their heads to shelter them from the heat. The inscription on the house on the bottom left made me think of Vronni!


Thursday was the hottest day ever recorded in Belgium, with temperatures leading up to and over 40° Celsius. I soon felt like a wilted flower, in spite of the fact that I was wearing this cool 1970s pink cotton sundress trimmed with broderie anglaise.

Even with all three A/C units going full blast, things started heating up in the afternoon. By 3.30 I had a splitting headache, which wasn't helped by the eternal racket these machines make, so I called it a day. Just walking the short distance from the office building to the underground literally made me gasp for non-existent air.


A slight drop in temperature on Friday, but still well over 30° Celsius. This cotton 1950s frock, in normal circumstances a joy to wear, was quite clingy by late morning. I wore it with my shell necklace and a fishy belt to create some seaside illusion.


The weather turned on Friday night and cooling rain made the temperature drop considerably. But the heat had completely depleted my energy, so that our weekend was spent not doing very much at all. Oh, what exciting lives we're leading!

Saturday's outfit was built around this cute cotton 1960s dress I found in a vintage shop in Bridgnorth. I accessorized it in white and blue, including a sailing boat brooch and the blue handbag, which I found on the same day as the dress. A match made in heaven!


I was feeling lethargic and fuzzy-brained, so that I had to literally drag myself away from the sofa and go outside for a breath of fresh air. 

In the end, the rain drove us inside a charity shop we hadn't been to since we came back from holiday. I was in luck as I found, clockwise from top left, a light blue cardigan trimmed with white and lurex, a long sleeved vintage blouse, a funky Zara top and a long sleeved top by French retro brand Mademoiselle YéYé.



On our way to the till, I spotted a rail full of new-in clothing, which contained my find of the day, this rather lovely and seemingly brand new King Louie frock!


With leaden skies and intermittent rain on Sunday, it was another day to be spent inside rather than going for a walk as we'd originally intended.

But I still wore clothes, even if it was just to step outside into the garden between showers. 

I've had the dress I'm wearing for many years, sourced from a vintage shop which has sadly stopped trading. It's got a tie and a self-belt, and this is actually one of the only dresses I'm always wearing with its own belt. The brooch is one of many bought from the Brooch Lady.

So, that was our heatwave and its aftermath.

I'll be returning with the penultimate episode of my travelogue in my next post!



33 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I can't even conceive of how awful it must have been to have temps in the 30s and up to 40!! I admire your fortitude in venturing out and not just wearing a big loose t-shirt!

    Things I love in this post:
    - That lovely blue leather purse
    - Jos' new spectacles (red frames are very snazzy!)
    - The sleeveless aqua/orange/white dress (so pretty!)
    - *SNORT* The picture of you and Phoebe! My goodness, she is a huge fluffball, isn't she? I didn't realize she was so big! The look on her face is very much, "If you value your life, let me down, Woman!" Ha ha!
    - Your new Clarks! I love the "flatform" of them. I do that too - I get L to buy me things. It's not cheating!
    - I'm enamoured of your cup and saucer. So pretty! Love the shape and pattern.
    - I have a Spanish fan just like that! My mom and dad bought it for me in Barcelona. :) We're twins!
    - Your new haircut is very saucy. Love it.
    - That hot pink sundress is lovely on you.
    - The funky Zara top intrigues me - I am looking forward to seeing it on you.
    - The King Louie dress' pattern is awesome. I also love that red floral dress at the end.

    Nearly at the weekend, Ann! Hang in there, we can make it! Sending cool ocean breezes your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila! Not sure yet how I'll be styling that Zara top, but it simply had to come home with me. And yay, we're fan twins ;-) I know, Phoebe IS a huge fluffball! xxx

      Delete
  2. I always like the colors you choose. And Sixties fashion is fun; right now I'm looking for clothes to celebrate Woodstock's anniversary next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have so many wonderful summer dresses Ann! I love you in the maxi dress. haha great you have the new clarks gifted by Jos :))
    I am lucky the heatwave is over.
    huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina. I'm glad the heatwave is over too, but now we've got rain! xxx

      Delete
  4. Glad to see that you've managed to keep yourself cool&fabulous even in the heatwave!, it has been such a pain!. Having to dress up to go to the office is a challenge when it's so hot, so it's inspirng to see your floral colorful dresses and cute beads and brooches!.
    Love your orange and blue dress with the matchy necklace, love your indian cotton skirt (and the seagull brooch!), love your pink dress, the red and White one and the yellow too!, all of them are utterly fabulous!
    And totally agree with Sheila, the King Louie frock has an awesome pattern!
    Jos' new glasses are really cool and very considérate of him to buy those Clarks for you!, they look fab and comfy!. I'm a huge fan of this brand and have bought (at least) a pair of shoes every time I visit U.K. as they're cheaper there.
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Monica! I'm a big fan of Clarks shoes too and so is Jos. We always buy them when we're in the UK, especially as in June they're on sale! xxx

      Delete
  5. You have so many fabulous summer dresses, Ann! I really like them all! I especially love the pink dress and the yellow and white floral dress. That blue leather bag is fabulous too! Also, how gorgeous are you and Phoebe together?! She is adorable! ;) Hope you have a wonderful weekend, Ann! XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sasha! I felt great in that pink dress in spite of the weather. Not so much in the yellow and white floral one, though. I'm still thinking about whether to keep it. It will definitely need a second wear to decide! xxx

      Delete
  6. Sorry you had such high temperatures! I don't think I would've liked it! It wasn't quite so hot here. I love all your summer dresses! Your wardrobe must look lovely as you open it! I am very inspired by how you accessorize too. Stay cool XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda! Those high temperatures were truly awful. And yes, it is a real joy opening my wardrobe's doors! xxx

      Delete
  7. Good lord I thought the heat here was bad enough! You have worn some gorgeous frocks though I even like the pink one lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gisela! I almost did a double take when I read you even liked the pink one ;-) xxx

      Delete
  8. poor girl!
    feel sorry for you that the heat is so hard on you! hope you could relax in the meanwhile....
    but you dressed fabulous - despite the tropical weather!!! esp. love the red sundress - so sweet! <3
    just work on a round-up of my fashion side of the heat....stay tuned!
    biggest hugs! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beate! I do hope such high temperatures won't come back any time soon. I love Summer, but not like that! xxx

      Delete
  9. Gosh your temperatures even beat the UK's. On the hottest day here I worked from home as I couldn't face the sweat-box train commute or the blazing sun of my South facing huge bay-window office! I am lucky, downstairs in our house remains cool even on the hottest days.

    So many nice frocks, though I think the pink 70s sundress is my favourite. Love the new sandals too xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah! Very sensible of you to work from home. I think the commuting part was the worst of it! xxx

      Delete
  10. A few years back I decided not to buy any clothes. The same thing happend: My husband bought me two pairs of jeans. :-) All the best (heatwave over?), Regula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hurray for husbands! And for the heatwave to be gone and done! xxx

      Delete
  11. I'm impressed that you are still able to wear belts in the heat. I feel like I might spontaneously combust when wearing a belt if the temp is over 30C.

    Those Clarks are fab! I'm glad you managed to convince Jos to buy them for you ; P

    My fav outfit was the first one in pastel or the yellow frock. I'm loving yellow lately.

    Suzanne
    http://www.suzannecarillo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It actually never entered my mind not to wear a belt ;-) Jos didn't need much convincing! xxx

      Delete
  12. You wore so many beautiful dresses to beat the heat! I find that dresses are mu go to in summer too, they are nice and light and instant outfits when it's too hot to think of anything else! We are lucky, that even though it gets hotter over summer here, we have the aircon!

    Hope that you are having a wonderful weekend :)

    Away From Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mica! I guess that unlike you we're just not equipped for such temperatures! xxx

      Delete
  13. I can't believe that Summer is so rapidly coming to an end, and we didn't even had any heat this season at all! Although, like you, I am not a fan, and 40 C is way too much, and even 30 C is too hot for me, unless I enjoy swimming. :)

    Those Clarks are fantastic, I'd buy them too! I am not super disciplined when it comes to the slow fashion challenge. I got a couple of new things, but I honestly don't feel guilty - compared to how much I used to buy in the last few years, this IS a slow fashion in my books. :)

    Jos looks great in his new glasses - wonderful portrait of him too!

    Lots of love, my dear friend, and stay cooooooool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Natalia! Oh, not having any heat at all doesn't sound too good either. There never is a middle way, it seems. xxx

      Delete
  14. So many nice dress, though all the dresses are beautiful my favourite one is the Diolen dress with floral print and tropical print one. Love the new sandals too. Happy Monday Darling xx
    Dheera
    http://www.thestylepanorama.com/2019/07/a-stylish-way-to-wear-cami-top-for.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd give anything for those record breaking temperatures to come back - the heating clicked on a few hours ago and I've been reduced to wearing a Norwegian cardi I'm borrowed off the shop rails!
    There's definitely no slacking when it comes to how the pair of you are dressed, that pink sundress is gorgeous and of course, iIlove the maxi! Those Clarks' sandals are ace, nice one Jos! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we get those temperatures back, I'll send them over to you! It really was too much. But I know you're a lizard and love your hot temperatures! xxx

      Delete
  16. So many fabulous outfits. I love that first dress and how you paired it with a blue bag and a green belt (that fit the floral pattern on the dress perfectly). The other printed dresses you wore are just as gorgeous. I like how you always accessorize them.

    The Clarks sandals you got (or rather were gifted by Jos) are very pretty and even more importantly they look very comfy. You did good to take the opportunity to buy them...
    I survived the high temperatures by living in semi-darkness and not going out of the house either. I'm fine with the heat as long as it doesn't come close to 40, that is when I lock myself in (if I can). It was as high as 48C degrees in Mostar the other day, probably over 50 C in the sun. The official temperature reported is typically lower that the real one, because if the real one was reported, the government would have to announce a state of emergency and close some services which wouldn't be practical as these kind of temperatures aren't unusual for Mostar. As much as I love summer, I'm not a fan of extreme temperatures. They drain me out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivana! Oh my, 48°C sounds truly horrible in my book. It's true that extreme temperatures are very draining. I had no energy left by the end of it. xxx

      Delete
  17. what an amazing post dear :) happy weekend!
    Kisses, Buba

    https://bubasworld.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete