Sunday 19 August 2018

It's vintage, darling!

It's the last episode of my Salopian (*) travelogue, and goodness me, have I been procrastinating! After all, once I've come to the end of this post and push publish, that's it! Point final, as they say in French.

So, other than scrolling through my photos of our last two days and halfheartedly making a few collages, this post wasn't getting anywhere near ready, as the words, which usually keep flowing once I start typing, seemed to remain stuck in my keyboard.


But there is nothing for it: it has to be done, so I'd better get my act together and get on with things!

Thursday saw us driving down to the lovely town of Ludlow, give or take half an hour from our cottage.

This wasn't our first visit by any means: we'd been there at least twice before when we were holidaying in the neighbouring county of Herefordshire between 2008 and 2010.


It was another gorgeous Summer day, but while the temperature was just bearable in the sun, we mostly sought shelter on the shady side of the town's picturesque streets.


A vibrant market town today, Ludlow's roots reach back to medieval times. Made rich by manufacturing and trading of wool and cloth, by the 16th Century it had become a major administrative centre, governing Wales and the border counties.


Today, it has a thriving high street, packed with independent shops including butchers, bakeries, delicatessens, as well as all manner of clothes and arts and craft shops.

There are quite a few charity shops too, which obviously were well browsed: I managed to find another maxi frock, which I will be showing you later, and some jewellery.


Ludlow also has a lively market, which has been a cornerstone of the community for over 900 years. Today, a general market is trading in and around Castle Square six days a week.

On the second and fourth Thursday of every month, the hugely popular Ludlow Local Produce Market is being held here, showcasing the fresh local food and drink which Ludlow is rightly, and proudly, famous for.


Built by the Normans in the 11th Century to repel a Welsh invasion, Ludlow Castle is one of the town's finest attractions. 

Having visited the castle before, however, we limited ourselves with a walk on the delightful footpath skirting its walls.


After walking around the castle's perimeters, we arrived back in Castle Square and made our way back through the town for a visit to St. Laurence's Church.


Tucked away down a small alley, the church is a haven of peace and quiet away from the hustle and bustle of the town. 

St. Laurence's, which was first started in 1199, was largely rebuilt in the 15th Century. 

Its nickname, The Cathedral of the Marches, reflects the importance of Ludlow in the turbulent Welsh Marches region, but also its impressive size (it is said to be one of the largest parish churches in England) and its rich furnishings.



There's magnificent medieval stained glass, as well as a wonderful array of memorials, the majority dating from the 16-17th Centuries.

The chancel is a treasure of medieval stalls, many with misericords. These 'mercy-seats', made to help support priests while standing during long services, have wonderfully carved undersides. 



These are carved in a range of subjects including mermaids, a witch, and a dishonest ale-wife: indeed, most of the misericords depict women unfavourably! Here are just six of the total of 28 intricately carved designs.



After a restorative cup of coffee and some huge brownies, it was back to our cottage, where for the purpose of this blog, I changed into my new-to-me, charity shopped maxi frock!


Friday was our last day and we were feeling a bit morose. It was quite hot so, thinking of the long journey ahead of us on Saturday, we ditched our original plan of going for a proper hike on the Long Mynd. 

Instead, we went to Wales! Welshpool is only half an hour's drive from our cottage and known as the gateway to Mid Wales, a busy market town situated in the Severn valley and surrounded by glorious Welsh countryside, yet only a few miles from the English border.


We sauntered along its High Street, diving in and out of its many charity shops, when suddenly we came across Park Lane House, which had a display of vintage clothes in its entrance.

Stepping inside was equal to entering vintage heaven and, my heart beating faster and feeling quite lightheaded at the sight of it all, you could have knocked me over with a feather.


Vintage and period clothes and accessories were jostling for space and shouting for attention. I could have easily spent our entire two week holiday in there and still not have seen it all.

This is Ashmans Antiques and Old Lace (for some reason my brain automatically inserts the word arsenic before old lace), which was established in 1975.

Presiding over this shop full of drool-worthy vintage is its owner Diane Ashman. This formidable lady, who is in her seventies, made us feel quite at home and encouraged us to take as many photographs as we liked.


Surely the pictures speak for themselves!

I was quite overwhelmed but obviously I couldn't leave without making a purchase, which I will show you at the end of this post.

After signing Diane's guest book full of raving commentaries, we bade our goodbyes, vowing to return next year.


After lunch, we briefly walked along a stretch of the Montgomery Canal, and visited Powysland Museum, housed in a restored warehouse on the canal wharf.

Apart from displays on the archaeology and social history of the old county of Montgomeryshire, there are displays on a wide variety of topics, including some covetable vintage memorabilia.

I'm sure you'll agree that the Bakelite television on the bottom right actually belongs in Dove Cottage!


Before returning to our car, we lingered over cappuccinos in the Royal Oak hotel, where we had another encounter with Diane, who'd walked in for a drink with a friend. I promised her I would send her an email after publishing my post, so that's what I will do in a minute.


So, that was our holiday! I can't believe it's all over ...

But before I go, here's the dress I bought at Ashmans! Rather lovely isn't it?

(*) relating to or characteristic of the English county of Salop, now known as Shropshire, or its inhabitants.

Linking my new-to-me maxi dress to Patti's Visible Monday at Not Dead Yet Style!

34 comments:

  1. You look AH-MAZING in that maxi! Thank you for sharing your vacation, it looks like you had an amazing time. Can hardly wait to see how the dress from Ashman’s looks on you!

    Yes! The Bakelite TV does belong in Dove Cottage!!

    Happy thrifting ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look gorgeous in your new maxi frock. Great buy.
    What a wonderful country. So amazing your pictures. Thank you for this trip to England. Ludlow ist stunning. And so lovely from Mrs. Ashman that you can take so many pictures. :)
    I wish you a great monday, a very huge hug, Tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. the ashman´s dress is a beauty!!! totally gorgeous!
    as is the shop itself - vintage paradise :-D but the ludlow frock is pretty too...
    ludlow seems very proper - and looks great with all the timber framed houses - thanx for including the weathered wood/yellow one - very inspiring!
    it was a fine holiday - good old england looking fab, gorgeous weather and meeting vix! :-D
    love! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fantastic holiday, indeed. Such good memories! I always seem to take a photograph of the yellow timber framed house when I'm in Ludlow. It is rather spectacular! xxx

      Delete
  4. what an amazing place to visit, those half timbered houses with their medieval castle and gothic catedral! and a local market to visit! so much cuteness!
    I would love to visit Ashmanns Antiques (my mind always adds arsenic to any old lace!, mwhaha!) So fabulous lady and fabulous shop! I would get sucked into it for days!
    And such a lovely dress you bought there!, really cute print and colors!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ludlow really has it all! Oh, and I'm pleased to hear I'm not the only one adding arsenic to old lace ;-) xxx

      Delete
  5. You look fabulous in your new maxi dress, Ann! It's so pretty! All of your travel photos have been so amazing, Ann! Thanks for sharing! I so want to visit the UK again now! I'd love to visit Belgium too! My parents are on a European cruise at the moment....lucky things! ;) XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sasha! Do let me know if you ever decide to come to Belgium! Your parents are indeed lucky things! xxx

      Delete
  6. Ludlow is a delight and what a beautiful church St Laurence's is. Love your fab new maxi and Ashman Antiques (I want to say Acorn Antiques!)reminds me so much of Second To None in Walsall. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love St. Laurence's. There should be a memorial tablet to A. E. Housman, but I couldn't find it ... I'll have to go and check out Second To None one day! xxx

      Delete
  7. I'm going to miss your travelogue and I think of all of them this is my favourite. Your day in Wales sounds brilliant. Oh, and that arsenic and old lace shop ;) it looks just fantastic, almost worth the drive from here, over at the other side of the country!
    I love your maxi, it looks fab. I also love tgat yellow dress hanging in the shop doorway, so mellow yellow! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you Sally! The shop is rather fantastic, even if it's not cheap. The lovely Mrs. Ashman is always prepared to knock a bit of the price, though. xxx

      Delete
  8. I am going to miss your travelogue too! I have really enjoyed reading about your travels. Thanks for sharing X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you Linda. I'm so glad you enjoyed it! xxx

      Delete
  9. Marvelous travelogue, Ann. The details on the church are priceless, that stained glass! And what a treasure-trove you wandered into on your last day; i felt my own vintage heart pounding : > xox

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patti! That was indeed a shop you'd imagine only to exist in dreams! xxx

      Delete
  10. the holidays always fly away too fastly! But memories stay long in your mind ... I sometimes happen to think of mine during the winter!
    Ludlow is a lovely town and rich in history! Of course in a perfect holiday can't be missing some shopping, right? :-)
    Very pretty dress!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dan! You're so right: memories last forever, and if you've included some shopping you've got some tangible memories as well! xxx

      Delete
  11. You'll be glad you did all these posts so that you can look back at them and remember it all! I hate the monster posts that result from an extended vacation, but I remind myself that it's just a few hours in exchange for having my vacation online forever.

    Lovely pictures, and great purchases! This makes me want to go back to the UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right: I often re-read my holiday posts. But I love doing them as well. It's almost like having a second holiday! xxx

      Delete
  12. Oh my! I want to go to that vintage shop! What a gem. Like you, I could spend a week there. I'm surprised you were controlled enough to limit yourself to just one item.

    This will be a great on-line scrapbook of your trip for years to come.

    Suzanne
    http://www.suzannecarillo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I would have bought more if it hadn't been our last day. But I've got plans to return next year! xxx

      Delete
  13. I've loved your travel posts - a gentle reminder that we need to visit our neighbouring county more often! Ludlow is lovely, I haven't been in years and the last time we visited Welshpool was the day we bought Gilbert 12 years ago - we tend to avoid it as we have a strange friend who moved there and whenever any of our pals visit they always bump into him (aren't we naughty?)
    Anyway, your photos are gorgeous and the shape of your chazza-shopped maxi is perfect on you - those necklaces really suit you.
    The Antiques and Old Lace Shop looks a real treasure trove, all rummage-y perfection like Second To None. The dress you bought is lovely. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix. But we are the same, and hardly ever visit the surrounding countryside here in Belgium! Fiona said the same about Second To None! The shop wasn't the cheapest, though! And no, I don't think you're naughty at all trying to avoid running into that strange friend. We do have a couple of these ourselves whom we try to avoid. xxx

      Delete
  14. This trip was memorable, wasn't it? I love all your posts, and I enjoyed all the travel posts, but there is something especially charming about this one, maybe it's Ludlow? The architectural and sculptural details, the colors are just so charming.
    We have quite a few places named after English towns around here, and we have Ludlow - I wonder whether it is as charming as the original one? It is in a very pretty location for sure.

    I love seeing what you wear during your trips and what catches your eye. Such beautiful dresses again! You look fantastic in the new maxi dress!

    Here is to more travels and travelogues, dearest Ann! Lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Natalia. Ludlow is an especially charming little town which seems to have it all. It's in lovely countryside as well. Oh, and another travelogue coming up, as we're going away for a week next week! xxx

      Delete
  15. Oh sigh! Our beautiful England right!In two and a half weeks we will be finally there again! And I will shop in Lewes where they have the most beautiful vintage shops. Your dress is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy! I love Lewes, but haven't been for a while! xxx

      Delete
  16. Ooooooooooooooooooooh, Ludlow looks beautiful- why have I never been here.
    What a treasure trove of a vintage shop! It looks delightful! Alllll those hats!!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kezzie! Oh, but you should visit Ludlow. St. Laurence's is the loveliest of churches too! xxx

      Delete
  17. Your travel posts are always so entertaining and informative. I'm fascinated by the misericords. I had never heard of them before. Your purple floral maxi is stunning. And that vintage shop! Oh my. Now that's my idea of the perfect day! Really cute dress you got there too.

    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Theresa! I'd heard of misericords, but I never knew what they were exactly. I have actually learned a lot through blogging ... xxx

      Delete