Wednesday 15 August 2018

Escape into the shade

Languishing at the bottom of my mending basket was this gorgeous cotton piqué Summer dress.

It had been there for many months and, all but forgotten, it was starting to feel quite sorry for itself.

I'd found it on a rail at a flea market back in April: when I spied its blowsy green flowers and bottle green flower buttons, I couldn't hand over my € 2 fast enough. Needless to say that I was somewhat put out when I tried it on at home and found it to be a bit wide on top.



I pinned it this way and that but, without any proper sewing skills I was at a loss as how to make it fit. I wasn't ready to admit defeat, though, as it was really a rather lovely frock!



Enter the heatwave. In my struggle to find things to wear, I was suddenly reminded of the poor frock, which must have felt like a voodoo doll by now, what with all the pins. As I thought it would be perfect for the kind of weather we were having, I dug it out and put my thinking cap on. No mean feat, as I was feeling as if I was having one giant hot flush, which was rather counterproductive for my already muddled brain.



But, Eureka! What if I just moved the buttons a bit more to the left? As it's already closing asymmetrically, nobody would be any the wiser, surely!

After putting my plan into action, I am happy to say that my efforts have paid off.



By now it was Saturday (I'm lagging behind, so I'm talking about two and a half weeks ago here), and we had a brief respite from the heat. It was still warm enough to wear the dress but thankfully the temperature had dropped to below 30 degrees. Time to go for a little walk!



The park was looking decidedly past its best by now, its lawns all dried up, with hardly a blade of green to be found, and with most of the summer flowers in the herbaceous borders already on their last legs.



A gusty wind had brought some much needed oxygen in its wake, so I was feeling a bit giddy.

Walking into the direction of the little wooden bridge, the resident geese starting honking for a handout, so Jos went back to our car to get the leftovers from our picnic. They're quite greedy buggers!



Any excuse for a spot of charity shopping, especially as one of our favourite shops is only a two minute walk up the road from the park.

I pounced upon these navy and white shoes, as I used to own a pair of these before, found at a flea market back in May 2016 and worn until they fell apart.



Then there was a whole armful of bangles, and a huge wooden fish brooch.

Finally, these two new-to-me skirts, both already worn in the hot days which were still to come.



The green and blue one on the left looks like it was handmade, while the wide skirt in browns with a hint of orange on the right is by Roberto Collina and made in Italy. I'd never heard of the brand before, but some quick googling revealed that it must have retailed at well over € 100,-  Somebody must have had money to burn!

Here are some of the other outfits I wore to combat the heat.


Would you believe it was the first time I wore this gorgeous sleeveless blue and white maxi, which I picked up for a song at Think Twice about a year ago?  I'm wearing two of the bangles from our charity shopping trip on Saturday, while the belt was previously found at the same shop. Orange was my colour of choice for the rest of my accessories: a necklace which came from a defunct vintage shop, and a brooch and ring from various flea markets.



This 1980s does 1950s frock is a long time favourite and with its wide, swishy skirt, such a joy to wear, particularly on a hot Summer day. I'm wearing the same belt as above, and opted for turquoise and red accessories. You can catch a glimpse of my new red Gabor sandals, a recent sales bargain and super comfortable.

I've got some catching up to do, so fast forward to the next weekend. With the temperature cruising towards the low thirties again, we went in search of some shade.



I dressed in this sky blue cotton Seasalt frock, bought in Wales several years ago. Its sailing boat print never fails so cheer me up. Lovely as it is, it does have a downside, which prevents me from wearing it more often: it is an absolute nightmare to iron.

The celluloid seagull was one of the first brooches I bought from the Brooch Lady. It's quite delicate, so it only comes out to play once in a blue moon.

The straw bag, with its blue flower appliqué, came from Think Twice and was all mine for € 2.


The shade we were after was found in the municipal park of a nearby town. Landscaped between the wars, it's got several so-called French pools, which are connected by rills. It was quite disconcerting to see that the majority of them were completely dried up.


The resident waterfowl had congregated in the heart of the park, where some water was still to be found, even though here too it wasn't exactly plentiful.


We'd brought a picnic, which we ate sitting on a pyramid of tree stumps in the play area.


Sufficiently cooled down, we visited one or two charity shops on our way home.

We didn't expect much, but still came away with another head plaque for our wall of heads, two gravy boats from one of the Boch series we are collecting (priced at € 0,25 each!) and some more new-to-me tops, all costing € 3 or € 4.



Oh, and I might have bought this vintage dress as well!

My next post will be the last one in my series of travelogues. I hope you'll join me again then.


36 comments:

  1. sometimes its that simple - just move the buttons ;-D
    well done indeed - the dress is gorgeous - i remember envying it when it was bought.
    unbelievable that you almost forgot the white&blue frock too! it has something *porcelain* to it - fabulous dress!
    but i´m in love with your sailboat dress - and as i do not iron anything after it has leaving the sewing room i just wonder.........
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beate! Indeed, it was that simple, and I'm so glad I can wear the dress now! xxx

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear you were able to fix that beautiful dress-and in time for a heatwave. The Seasalt dress is a beauty (they make such nice clothes-Mim has some I really envy) but ironining in summer would be too much for me to bear.

    Those blue and white shoes are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Goody! The ironing thing is the only thing I don't like about the Seasalt dress, as I love wearing it. xxx

      Delete
  3. You're so clever, just moving the buttons over slightly! Well done! I love those navy shoes. Wonderful dresses - I just love wearing a dress in the summer, more than almost anything. I'm continually awed by all your awesome vintage finds (and I'm glad I don't collect dishes or heads! I would be in trouble!).

    Have an awesome week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila! Sometimes I wish I didn't have what I call the collecting gene ... or that I was such a dress-o-holic! xxx

      Delete
  4. Hee hee! You are a girl after my own heart! Apparently I am a shopaholic, and I need to join a 12-step program.

    You can never have too many pretty frocks!!

    Happy thrifting ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I need to join that program too, but then I would miss out on all those pretty frocks! xxx

      Delete
  5. So many pretty pieces in this post, Ann! I love all of them! Both of your skirts are lovely and the wooden fish brooch is gorgeous. That blue and white maxi dress looks stunning on you, Ann! That Seasalt dress is fabulous and looks even more so with the seagull brooch. Hope you're having a good week, Ann! XXX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love your sailing boat dress. Sooo amazing. Hmmm by the way, I love all your pretty heat wave outfits. The forgotten dress with green flowers looks gorgeous .
    I am looking forward to your travelogue:)
    a very huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very clever to move the buttons! The dress looks fab, I love the colour and print. My green skirt is now inmy mend pile, I'm sad to say. The zip won't go all the way up anymore, it gets stuck in a whole in the zips edging. I've decided to add buttons so I can still wear it, but my limited sewing skills have prevented me from trying. What if I ruin it? I'll pluck up the courage one day. Until then it will languish!
    I love that blue and white maxi, and the blue and green pattern skirt.
    The temperatures did get a little much didn't they, but I miss the warmth now. I just had to close my bedroom window to stop the wind blowing the heavy rain into the room!
    Some lovely photos here Ann
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, sorry to hear about that lovely green skirt! I hope you are able to find a way to mend it ... xxx

      Delete
  8. Such pretty dresses. Clever how you wear the first one. I also worry how neglected clothes in the closet must feel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. glad that you find the way to fit that green dress (sometimes it's easy tan expected!) it looks fresh and lovely and Green!! so fab!
    Lovely bunch of bracelets and lovely skirts! and I love the blue and white maxi, the print is magnificent, it look like portuguese tiles!, so summery and so elegant!
    And also lovely sailing boat print, it's a fantastic dress, sorry that it's not easy to iron, but you look so gorgeous in it! and so fabulous accessorizing, the brooch, the bag!
    The last colorful dress is a beauty too!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica! I had a feeling you would love the bracelets! And funny:I was thinking of tiles too in regards to that maxi dress! xxx

      Delete
  10. Moving the buttons is a trick I employ often.

    Every time I thrift I wonder who these people are that are getting rid of designer items that look like they have never been worn.

    Ironing vintage is a pain. So many of the pieces I buy require lots of time on the ironing board before I can photograph them. Normally I don't mind ironing skirts because they are easy but pleated skirts drive me nuts.

    That maxi dress is my fav. No surprise there. I think it suits your frame. I'm not sure why more people don't wear maxi dresses. They are so flattering.


    Suzanne
    http://www.suzannecarillo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done quite a bit of button moving myself, but it didn't dawn on me at first that this would solve the problem here. Glad I made the effort. Now don't get me started on ironing pleated skirts! I've got one in my ironing pile since last winter ... xxx

      Delete
  11. I'm so glad you had an eureka moment and moved the buttons! Fabulous dresses and accessories; absolutely loved your cool maxi dress. What brilliant finds my favourite are the lovely bangles and the fish brooch.

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Genius to move the buttons on that lovely frock. Also loving the blue and white maxi and the pretty vintage frock at the end of the post. Oh...and the shoes are gorgeous too! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fiona! Couldn't believe I found the same pair of shoes twice ... xxx

      Delete
  13. I love a simple alteration like that - it's a gorgeous dress, loving the square neckline! you also look wonderful in your maxi and both midis.
    I'm surprised that Seasalt dress is a nightmare to iron, you'd expect a posh make like that not to be. I've spent four hours ironing this morning, I feel your pain!
    The head wall plaque is adorable. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, I can't even imagine four hours of ironing! The problem with the Seasalt frock is that it's two layers of rather thin cotton, which creases like mad! xxx

      Delete
  14. I'm currently trying to raise the enthusiasm to change all the buttons on what will be my winter coat this year. It was a Chazza job and one - just one - of the buttons doesn't match so I'll have to replace the lot. Grrrrr.

    I'm coveting the wooden fish brooch you found. It's fab. Also groovin' on how you nautically accessorised the Seasalt dress. Love the all the frocks too, especially the blue and white one. What a print!

    Seasalt annoy the hell out of me. They've started to offer more clothes in larger sizes but don't stock them in their bricks and mortar shops. There is a Special Place in Hell for chains that do this, which I fully expect to preside over with a large pokey trident when I kark it. In the mean time, I boycott them along with Boden, Dorothy Perkins, Next, and every other brand that doesn't want to be seen taking my money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will now boycott Seasalt as well! Shame on them! I'm sure you'd be brilliant at presiding over that Special Place in Hell. That made me laugh out loud! xxx

      Delete
  15. What a brilliant rescue and remedy for this perfect summer dress ! The print is pink perfection and reminds me of a very famous maker. I like the belt you added as well. I am also so fond of the blue and white maxi dress. Beautiful styling and again always such a brilliant shopper.
    Yes to that gust of wind. A little breeze can go a long way!
    How sweet are those photos of the geese.
    And those new skirts, heavenly!
    Oh yes, this heat!
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Elle
    https://theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elle! I'm a big fan of green and pink, hence the belt. Those geese are such rascals, but sweet and quite funny too! xxx

      Delete
  16. I love what you did to the dress, simple yes but so effective! It looks lovely and it would have been a real shame not to have been able to wear such a beautiful outfit. The colour is wonderful. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sally! I as so glad I was able to fix it! xxx

      Delete
  17. I came a looking for your Praise the Lord pose and yes, I found it and so much more Ann! I'm so pleased that you fathomed out a way to bring that dress into play - moving the buttons, how simple! Thanks for sharing all of your shopping finds. What fun you've been having. I love those blue shoes, so cute!

    Enjoy your week!
    Anna x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you found my Praise the Lord pose, Anna! xxx

      Delete
  18. That dress was well worth the fixing - I'd never have guessed you'd altered it. You have some fab outfits there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mim! I'm glad I was able to fix it so easily. xxx

      Delete