Tuesday 8 March 2016

Oh I just don't know where to begin

So many dresses in my wardrobe calling out to be shown, so I’d better make a start.

This is what I wore to go vintage shopping on Sunday.


A long-sleeved, box-pleated dress with a geometric pattern. The waist is nipped in by side tabs with two gold-framed fabric-covered buttons. I had to undo somebody’s bad attempt at taking it in but I managed to restore the dress to its full glory without any damage.

The cuffs must have had the same buttons, which unfortunately were no longer there, so I had to improvise and replace them with some simple black ones from my stash of vintage buttons.



That’s as far as my sewing skills go, I’m afraid, although I promised myself that one day I will learn how to use my late mum’s sewing machine. Now, all I need is some time …

The dress screams 1960s to me but could be early seventies. It has lost its label, so nothing there to identify it with.

Now that I got started, I thought I’d show you not one but two dresses!



This one is in a plain crimplene-like fabric. I don’t often buy plain dresses unless there is something special about their shape or if they have nice buttons or other details.
This dress spoke to me since it has both. I like its space-age shape, with its unusual collar, and just look at those pockets!



This dress is labeled. It’s from a Scandinavian brand called Vinetta.  I’d love it to be from the 1960s but  this one too might be from a slightly later date.

The shoes I’m wearing are from a charity shop and bought in the Christmas holidays together with another, similar, pair. I immediately thought of this dress when I saw them, although I guess it would look even better with go-go boots!

Both dresses are from Think Twice vintage shop in Antwerp.


I hope you like this first little peek into my wardrobe …

11 comments:

  1. Oh, I love the print on that first dress - it's so clean and bold. Black buttons were a good choice for replacements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mim, I felt really fabulous in that dress

      Delete
  2. Both dresses are gorgeous, but I'm just in love with that first print!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gemma, the first dress is my favourite too!

      Delete
  3. Two stunning dresses! I love the print on the first one and the second one is so sharply styled. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love both of these dresses, I'd happily steal them from you! I'm usually a sucker for a print so the first one is my favourite, but they are both very chic. Can't beat a Crimplene frock! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curtise, I'd happily steal some of your frocks too! xxx

      Delete
  5. Those are two lovely dresses. I do think the second dress is 60's, but only because I remember my older sister having something similar. It almost looks like it was trying to copy Courreges. Do you own go-go boots, by chance?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've just noticed Curtise is here too, how fab, she has the same style taste as me.
    The plain dress is gorgeous and I have a blouse with a similar pattern as your first dress.
    Both look great on you
    Lynn x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynn. The plain dress is just for slim days only, however. xxx

      Delete