Tuesday 9 April 2024

Reluctant Spring

The weather forecast for the Easter weekend had been nothing short of atrocious, so it was with some degree of suspicion that we eyed the sunshine and blue sky we woke up to on Good Friday. At 15°C it felt positively Spring-like, so that I daringly plucked this long-sleeved yet lightweight dress from my wardrobe.

The dress in question was scored for the princely sum of € 2 from Think Twice back in 2019. I remember stalking it in the shop until the girl whose basket it had landed in was discouraged from buying it by her friend, who declared it too granny-ish. Needless to say, I snapped it up the minute she'd put it back on the rails.


Taking my lead from the pink diamonds in its pattern, I added oodles of pink in various shades of the colour, starting with my opaques in a fiery hot pink. My bubblegum pink textured belt with its white metal and pink gemstone buckle has the 1980s written all over it. Unusually for me, I can't remember whether it was a charity shop or Think Twice find and, also unusually, my blog hasn't been helpful in that direction either.



I do remember, however, that my brooch with its pale pink pearls was picked up from Think Twice, while my fuchsia chunky plastic ring was found on the high street. 

First outing for the fabulous lilac cowgirl boots I charity shopped back in October.  Lacking zippers, they are notoriously difficult to pull on, which might be the reason why their previous owner donated this pristine pair of boots in a hard to find colour to charity!



According to our weather app, it was fairly certain that it would rain at some point in the afternoon, so I wasted no time in donning my gardening gear and planting up all the Spring flowers we'd brought back from the garden centre on Sunday.

Same as I did last year, I filled the green enamel cones - which quite possibly started life as lampshades - hanging from the potting shed with cheerful tête-à-tête daffs, while the half-basket they are flanking were planted up with purple yellow-hearted Primulas and red double-flowered daisies or Bellis perennis.




A pink variety of the aforementioned double daisies joined a selection of pansies in the hanging basket suspended from the awning, while more cheeky-faced pansies got the company of some blue grape hyacinths (Muscari) on the little table in the passageway. 

Next to it is the tiny mosaic glass pot I'm holding in the outfit photos. Originally the home of a solar light which has stopped working long ago, I treated it to some leftover pansies.



Although there was still no sign of the forecasted rain after lunch - but thinking a shower could only be imminent - we opted for a wee rummage at the local charity shop.


Before I show you the day's spoils, however, here's what I found at Think Twice during one of my lunch breaks that week. Isn't this vintage madras plaid and denim dress just fabulous?


Unlike the weather gods, their female counterparts in charge of the charity shops have been on their best behaviour lately. For some reason, they keep offering me skirts, which I'm gratefully accepting.

First up is this colourfully striped viscose knit skirt from EDC by Esprit. Angelica is modelling it for you with both tops I found on the same day. The moss green short-sleeved jumper is by Hema, a Dutch chain store which can nowadays be found on most Belgian high streets, while the funky green and tan shirt is by the Danish InWear label.



That day's two other skirt finds are both vintage and are probably leftovers from the infamous Retro Day which took place earlier that month. The white, blue and yellow floral one shows all the signs of being handmade. They will both be joining my Spring and Summer wardrobe.

Speaking of which, with the rain eventually making an appearance on Saturday, I decided to make a start with my biannual wardrobe changeover. Unlike Sheila, however, I haven't finished it all in one go, nor did I take any photos of the process. 



So, how about a look at my outfit instead?

Both the grey, black and rust plaid circle skirt and the black floral blouse were found at Think Twice, in September 2022 and November 2017 respectively. 

I picked up the pops of rust and orange with my Jackpot cardigan and beaded necklace, both of which were charity shopped. My brooch is a vintage flea market find while the belt, which after many years is now sadly on its last legs, was purchased from Forever 21. Their shop in Antwerp has long gone and has now been replaced by ... Primark!


After putting a pile of my warmest Winter frocks to bed and replacing them with the first batch of short-sleeved Summer frocks, surely I deserved a treat? Honestly, these indulgent mini eggs from Leonidas are our only nod to the Easter Chocolate Extravaganza!



We were hoping for an improvement on the weather front on Easter Sunday, but sadly another gloomy day turned out to be our lot. Never mind that the mercury once more climbed to a reasonable 15°C, we had a hard time dragging ourselves away from Dove Cottage's cozy confines.  So, wasn't it just our luck that it started drizzling the minute we'd decided to make the effort!

Still hoping for the best, we drove to the park near the charity shop in Duffel where, in spite of the ubiquitous road diversions, we managed to reach the recently re-established car park without any hiccups.



We frequently used to go for a stroll here before or after our rummages at the nearby shop, often bringing a picnic in season. However, due to extensive roadworks this was only the second time we'd been here in well over a year. The last time was in January, when we walked through a crunchy layer of snow and watched the ice-skating antics of the resident waterfowl.

Same as we did back then, we took the winding footpath around the park's largest ponds, only to stopped in our tracks when the footpath turned out to be completely submerged by floodwater. If you squint, you can spot the bench and litter bin lining the flooded path in the middle of the photo on the bottom right.



There was nothing for it but to return the way we'd come, or trudge through the grass (above, top right) and walk to the point where we were able to rejoin the path. We hadn't been in this part of the park for years and had almost forgotten about the baby stone circle. Nothing prehistoric about it whatsoever, it's fairly recent and commemorates some kind of village milestone.



I loved how lush and green everything was, with pools of colour provided by pink and white blossomed shrubs and trees, the first of the bluebells and the last of the daffodils which were leading a handful of wayward tulips a merry dance.

I thought I'd just throw in my two cents' worth with my Desigual coat, fluffy pink scarf and red satchel. All charity shopped obviously!



One of the Egyptian geese who rule the roost here was watching us from the railing of the humpbacked bridge, daring us to cross it. 

Then he or she thought it was better to be safe than sorry and with an almighty splash took a dive into the water and paddled to its home on the island in the middle of the pond.

By then, it had started drizzling again and we had only just made it back to the car when it started pelting down in earnest. Another lucky escape!

Would Spring finally have sprung on Easter Monday? You'll read all about it in my next post. Oh, the suspension ...





17 comments:

  1. I love your gorgeous orange cardigan - you couldn't fail to be happy wearing that.
    Pansies are one of my favourite flowers and the purple and white ones just smile and smile. x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wat een heerlijk kleurrijke post weeral, zusje! Mooie outfits, bloemen en paaseitjes. Kan niet beter 🥰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oei, vergeten mijn naam bij te zetten 🤭

      Delete
  3. What a great second hand find. The colorful striped skirt is great with the green shirt.
    Oh no Primark?! It's fast fashion hell. I only went to a Primark shop briefly once and quickly left.
    It just rained here on Easter Monday. I'm excited. 😁
    With a huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
  4. we had a glorious sunny easter - minus "karfreitag", but even then it was warm enough to go bare-legged :-D
    well done to plant the flowers into your garden..... love pansies!
    the "western" dress looks gorgeous - but its rather tartan - not madras check. madras ist NOT symmetrical.
    geese can be very hooligan - i´m always cautious when i met some.......
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is always a nice feeling when you are able to snap up something beautiful for a low price. That dress is gorgeous. I love the colours and the print. I can see why you were eager to purchase it...and eager to wear it on a spring day! I love that you added in pops of pink. How perfect!

    I love seeing all of your beautiful flowers. And WOW. That plaid and denim dress is without a doubt the greatest dress I have ever seen. I am in love with it! It's phenomenal! Definitely the kind of dress that makes you stand a little taller and feel a little more confident in the world. It's so special.

    Changing over the wardrobe is always such a difficult task. Finishing it all at once seems impossible!

    Those mini eggs look delicious. What a wonderful Easter treat! I'm glad you were able to go for a walk on Easter Sunday, even if the weather wasn't ideal.

    the creation of beauty is art.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn’t this incessant rain so depressing? Glad to see you scored some good finds at the charity shop though. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. That denim and tartan dress is fabulous, you can join my cowgirl posse in that beauty!
    I remember you buying that lilac dress and I can recall empathising with you as you followed the women aroun dthe shop waiting for her to put it back on the rail - been there, done that! Those purple boots were a great find and match perfectly!
    A fabulous walk around Duffel and good for you for braving the weather and getting out there. My reaction to all this rain is to book a holiday somewhere hopefully warm and think of nothing else.
    That Egyptian goose is gorgeous, I've never seen the like! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This red, blue and white Madras check dress is so beautiful. I like it very much.
    And the striped skirt with olive top and the bright yellow belt... Great... hahaa, I think I could go through these shops with you - it would be a pleasure :-)))
    A hug for you. And think of it, we had great weather at Easter, but my children were freezing in Milano/Milan. It's not that often that the southern climate comes to us first.
    Happy greetings to you.
    Have fun running your new pieces... with sun and an ice cream in your hand :)
    Hug

    ReplyDelete
  9. Old fashioned?! I think it's springy! Really cute!
    Love the black and orange outfit! And the black and gray coat! Pretty!!
    Glad y'all didn't get soaked!!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look great in lilac! I'm so glad you got your hands on that dress in the end. The tartan dress is also fabulous, especially with the denim trim!
    Over here the weather is slowly, slowly getting there. We had yet more incessant rain last week, but today has reached the dizzy heights of 20 degrees!
    The Easter weather may have been a little dull, but at least you got to rock that amazing Desigual coat!
    I have never seen an Egyptian goose. What a beautiful bird! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your pots are amazing. I really liked the outfit with the red details, I think it looks great on you! The photos from nature are also fantastic👠.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fabulous finds and outfits. I absolutely love the lilac ankle boots. But the tartan denim dress is amazing! And then the knitted skirt, oh so pretty. Also adore the grey red outfit. Leonidas chocolates are my favourite! We are going to cycle today! I'm so looking forward to it. The sun is shining, everything is so green! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It really takes time until the warm season arrives at your place and mine.

    Returning from Italy I've found my home in full bloom. Very nice, indeed. I don't want to know that the weather is going to be cool and rainy on Monday ...

    All the best! Regula

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Ann, those 15ºC doesn't feel very spring-like in my book, I'd consider it a chilly day!.
    Love those lilac-purple-pink colours all together, such a brilliant ensemble!, and love your accessories (including those yellow flowers!) and those so beautiful boots. Glad you grabbed that dress!.
    And so great finds at charities, those skirts are fabulous, and so lucky to find two tops that go with that striped skirt!
    Lovely ensemble in plaid and florals with those red accents, a favourite colour combo!. And you rock in your Desigual coat!
    besos

    ReplyDelete