Friday 1 September 2023

These August days

Where does the time go? Summer's almost over and, looking back, it's all a bit of a blur, one week segueing almost seamlessly and featurelessly into another. 

Healthwise, August was a month of two halves, as the issues caused by my eye problem kept plaguing me on and off and making my stress levels go way up through the roof in the first two weeks of the month. But then, slowly but surely, the good days started outnumbering the bad, and my lazy left eye seems to have finally gotten a wake-up call. In short, even if the problem is still there and isn't expected to go away, my brain seems to have accepted the situation for the time being.



In the first week, the weather gods weren't exactly on their best behaviour, treating us to a seemingly endless string of grey and rainy days and with temperatures very much below par.

At least there were a couple of sunny spells on Friday the 4th of August, when I was finally able to take the day off again. If the mercury climbed to the low twenties, it felt decidedly chillier, so that I needed to layer a cardigan on top of my dress.



The dress in question is another of my Diolen Delights, its pattern a fireworks of white and royal blue flowers erupting on a Summer sky background. 

Apart from the cardigan, more orange was added with my necklace. An off-white stretchy belt with faux tortoiseshell buckle, amber coloured glass ring and one of the ceramic shard brooches I bought from a Ludlow market stall completed my outfit. Oh, and I pinned a royal blue flower corsage to my cardigan to match its buttons. On my feet, my navy blue flapper-style shoes.


It was a day of gentle pottering and well-needed rest after weeks of working full time while not feeling well. In fact, the only outing on the agenda was a quick dash to the charity shop in Mechelen, where I found a pair of as good as new Tamaris shoes in a delicious olive green.

Don't they look gorgeous paired with the lavender cat patterned scarf I got as a present from my friend Inneke for our - well, mostly Jos's - cat-sitting services?  Inneke and Maurice also treated us to a pack of Ethiopian coffee beans and a yummy homemade cake! 



The weekend's temperatures were more akin to Autumn than Summer, starting with a measly 17°C on Saturday and dropping to a bone-chilling 15°C on Sunday with a non-stop succession of showers on both days. We even had to resort to putting on the heating in our front room to keep the chills at bay.

No outfit photos were taken on Sunday, but this is what I wore on Saturday.

My groovilicious maxi skirt was part of a charity shop haul in June 2022, when it was promptly added to last year's holiday capsule. 


For this year's outing, it was accompanied by a Vera Moda blouse, a wide burgundy belt with  unusual metal buckle and a sage green wooden necklace, all of which were charity shopped as well.

The eagle-eyed among you might have noticed I was already wearing the olive green Tamaris shoes I found on Friday!



Rainy days are made for curling up on the sofa with a book, which is exactly how I spent most of that Sunday.

Meet my latest read! Who Was Sophie? by Celia Robertson traces the life of Celia's grandmother who, as young woman, was a promising poet with two volumes of poetry published by Leonard and Virginia Woolf's Hogarth Press and with a bright future ahead of her. By the end of her life she was essentially a bag lady, paranoid and living in precarious destitution. Her life story is a fascinating yet harrowing read.


As a testimony to the weather deities' fickle nature, the temperatures were on the up again by the end of the next week until they reached a dizzying 28°C on Friday. Just in time for my day off!

The perfect occasion to wear some tried and tested Summer staples, all of which - except for the necklace - were bought on the high street at one time or another. 

I've had both the half-elasticated orange belt and the top with its naive flower print for absolutely ages, so that it's safe to say they've deserved the slow fashion moniker by now.

The blue, organic cotton skirt was picked up in the Mango sales in the Summer of 2021 while the tomato red sandals wormed their way into my wardrobe as a post-Lockdown sales bargain one year earlier. 

The yellow cat brooch came from the wonderful Katshop (linking 'cause I love, as Sheila would say) 


A night of interrupted sleep had left me feeling tired and a bit jittery and I couldn't settle to anything until we decided on a trip to the edge of town charity shop.

It looked as if the goddesses of the charity shops had taken pity on me, as finds were unexpectedly plentiful. 

I'd skipped the bookshelves as browsing them made me feel dizzy, but then I found the Taschen book on the most iconic chairs of the last two centuries waiting for me on a chest of drawers halfway through the shop. Taschen books are always such eye candy!

Other finds included a magenta beaded necklace, a large blue raffia basket bag and a stripy painted wooden bangle.



The shop's rather confusingly arranged clothing rails yielded a golden yellow denim jacket by H&M and a labelless forest green long-sleeved blouse, most gorgeously patterned with roses and crane birds.



On Saturday the temperature had dropped to a more bearable but still delicious 24°C. 

Again, one of my beloved Diolen dresses made it out of my wardrobe. Although I couldn't possibly part with the majority of my painstakingly collected vintage frocks, I find myself not wearing them as much as I used to. 

This mustard one is among my favourites, though, and is still getting regular outings. It's got a blue sister, which I wore earlier this Summer.


It would be downright silly not to make the most of such a perfect Summer's day so, after lunch, we walked to the garage to pick up our car and drive to Middelheim. 

According to my blog, we hadn't been to the sculpture park since March, so that it was long overdue a visit. One of the reasons for our 5-month absence is that the park is currently being overhauled and that consequently there seems to be no rhyme or reason to its layout as a lot of the art is on the move.

By the end of this year, a total of 224 works of art will have been given a new home in the park or the adjacent open-air depot. Some parts of the park will be upgraded in close partnership with the city of Antwerp's department for green spaces, so that the new themed presentation will bring art and nature even closer together.  




We started out in Middelheim-Hoog (or High) where we walked under a canopy of trees, whose dappled shade turned out to be rather confusing for my eyes. As we walked back towards the avenue bisecting the two parts of the sculpture park, my eye was caught by this fountain. It was designed by Belgian architect and sculptor Jacques Moeschal (1913-2004) for the patio in the Belgian pavilion at the Montreal World Fair in 1967, where its water play was visible from different levels. 



Crossing the avenue and walking into the part of the park called Middelheim-Laag (or Low), we briefly sat down on a bench, from where we spotted another, unfamiliar looking, water feature in the distance.

This striking new fountain sculpture is called 'Adrift’ (2023) and is by Camille Henrot (Paris, b. 1978), a French artist, to whom the Middelheim Museum dedicated the solo exhibition ‘Wet Job’ last summer. 



The fountain is surrounded by the formal Hortiflora garden, which was incorporated into the park in 2012. 

Rather less formal is the wildflower meadow behind the Het Huis exhibition pavilion (above, top right).

The transparent green notice board shows the future layout of this part of the park, when Never Mind (above bottom right and below) by the Welsh artist Richard Beacon (Bangor, b. 1949) and dating from 2017 will be joined by a handful of other top pieces from across the park.

I loved how the green screen has added a nostalgic time-machine quality to the spaceship-like sculpture!



Taking a short-cut across another meadow, we passed Envelope (below, top right), a fruit-like sculpture which lies pleasantly relaxed in the landschape in the afternoon sun. Dating from 1996, it is by British artist Tony Cragg (Liverpool, b. 1949), who created packaging, in this case an empty envelope with air on the inside and air on the outside. Not my words, but the artist's!



The Column Pavilion (1984-1992) is by Belgian architect Charles Vandenhove (1927-2019) and is both a work of art and a pavillion for exhibiting smaller open-air art. There was actually a figure hiding inside which we confess to never having seen before.

Across the pond, we spotted some menacing figures (above, bottom left), so we quickened our step towards the exit. I haven't been able to find out who they are and by whom they were created, but I promise to sneak up to them next time we're there.



Taking Richard Deacon's time machine to the near future, we ended up one warm and sun-drenched week later, on Friday the 18th of August.

With 28°C forecasted for the day, I thought it was high time this fabulous cap-sleeved zigzag patterned dress got an outing. Charity shopped almost exactly two years ago, it's from the London based Louche label. Not only is it an absolute joy to wear, its joyous pattern is guaranteed to put a spring in one's step.



I made use of almost all its colours for accessorizing it, starting with the blue pleated belt, which yet again was a charity shop find. 

My yellow tiled necklace is making another appearance - the third in this post alone - and I added an orange ring and green swallows-in-flight brooch.

And yes, my tasseled yellow sandals from the outlet shop finally made it on my feet! 



We found a perfectly matching spot for outfit photos as well. Aren't those sunflowers at the museum garden down our street a joy to behold? 

Well, that was it for now. I didn't manage to include all my August outfits and outings in one post, so I'll be back with more after our September getaway. To say I am looking forward to the latter must be the understatement of the year!

See you on the other side!





42 comments:

  1. Enjoy your holiday. I hope the sun shines for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just got back from a few days away in the Netherlands and tomorrow we are off to Rye. It will be a warm week! Can you believe our luck. What a lovely scarf you received. And Tamaris shoes are always so good right. They always feel like wearing slippers. Enjoy your september break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy, and I do hope your time in Rye was all you wished for. I love Tamaris shoes, no need to break them in it all! xxx

      Delete
  3. I don't know why, but time really flies by, especially in summer. I'm sorry to hear about your eye problem, I know it must be hard, especially when one works full time. I started work a week or so ago and I feel so tired. I hope to recharge my batteries this weekend.
    I love your blue dress. It looks divine paired with that orange cardigan...I do love the combo of orange and blue. The combo with the maxi skirt is wonderful, too.
    The striped dress looks amazing on you. I do love stripes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivana! I can imagine you feeling tired after a week at work, especially when one has been on a break! xxx

      Delete
  4. Luckily your vision is getting better. I hope it stays this good.
    How great is this scarf from Inneke!
    The yellow jacket and the green blouse are great. And I love your last outfit, the sleeveless zig zag dress you wore in Middelheim. How nice, the park has so many new things to discover.😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina! It seems my brain is getting used to my poor vision, but I still have to take care not to strain my left eye too much! xxx

      Delete
  5. I completely agree with you. The summer passed by very quickly and I'm not exactly sure where it went. I'm so sorry that August was stressful at times with your eye problem. I'm really glad that the good days started to outnumber the bad ones. That is certainly progress! That blue dress is gorgeous and I just love the accessories you paired with it! That lavender cat scarf is so so cute. What a great gift! And wow, that maxi skirt is fantastic. Your wardrobe is truly spectacular. Who Was Sophie? sounds like a really interesting read. Wow. I will absolutely look out for it. Love seeing your photos from the sculpture park! There are so many amazing pieces. The tasseled yellow sandals are so stylish!

    the creation of beauty is art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shannon! I can't wait for the reshuffle of the sculpture park to be finished. The plans look very exciting! xxx

      Delete
  6. Glad to hear your eyes are improving. I loved all your outfits especially the mustard dress and the final zig-zag patterned dress. Fab tasselled sandals and I love the olive green shoes you found in the chazzas. Marvellous accessories as always and the gifted scarf from Inneke is beautiful.

    I like the sound of the book by Celia Robertson and will check if my library has a copy. I love reading about bag ladies; I don't know why!

    The plans for the sculpture park sound exciting and it's good to have changes (sometimes).

    We have a week of hot weather forecasted and I hope it will be the same on your September break...
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vronni! I'm sure you know by now that we had a heatwave on our September break ... I am so behind with replying to comments! xxx

      Delete
  7. Wow! I am delighted with your style, you have a new follower, August for me was a pleasant month, I was able to meet my school friends again, after what we have experienced in recent years we could not meet just like that and that is appreciated, I loved your cat scarf Of the dresses I loved the combination of blue with orange, the mustard dress and the zigzag print dress. Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rebeca, and welcome to my blog! Meeting up with old school friends is always exciting! xxx

      Delete
  8. you look fabulous in blue and orange!! and the zig-zag dress was made especially for you i think!
    its good that you have come to peace with your eye.......
    exiting new art at the sculpure park - especially the fountain made by Camille Henrot.
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beate! Making peace with my eye problem is about the only thing I can do, even if it isn't easy or straightforward ... xxx

      Delete
  9. I'm so happy to hear that your eye has appeared to improve.
    It's certainly not negatively impacted on your sartorial style. Loving the groovy skirt...and goodness, you did well at the charity shops. I don't think I've seen a denim jacket in that buttery yellow. It will look amazing combined with the blue raffia bag.
    I enjoyed joining you on your walk around the sculpture park. Adrift is an intriguing design, but I'm a sucker for a wildflower meadow. Just gorgeous!
    You're looking good in zig zags Ann and hurray for the tasseled yellow sandals! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire! I've made my peace with my eye problem, which makes all the difference. Agree about the yellow jacket and blue raffia bag, and I too am a sucker for a wildflower meadow! xxx

      Delete
  10. Glad to hear that your eyes are improving and that your stress levels are lowering!. Hope it will stay improving!.
    Your outfits always cheer me up!, that lovely 'fireworks' dress, the groovilicious maxi skirt, that naive print blouse and cotton skirt ensemble (so cute accessorizing!).
    Also admiring your latest finds!, that book and the bag and bracelet, that jacket!
    Lovely mustard colour dress, totally like sunshine!, and also lovely zigzag print, saving the best for last!. That photo of you with the sunflowers is particularly gorgeous!
    Enjoy your holiday!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica! I insisted to Jos that we needed to take outfit photos with the sunflowers which were complimenting my dress! xxx

      Delete
  11. Glad your eye seems to be getting better!
    And...My favorite is the blue and orange dress and cardigan! You look lovely in blue!
    Envelope? Wild...
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna! People are always telling me that blue suits me ... xxx

      Delete
  12. Good news about your eye, Ann! <3

    I love seeing all your beautiful dresses - I'm having that FOMO feeling (fear of missing out) about my clothes, too! What if I don't have time to wear them all?

    Gorgeous sculptures in that park - if I ever make it to your part of the world, I want to go there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila, and I'm getting you on that FOMO feeling :-) And if you ever make it to Antwerp, we'll be showing you around! xxx

      Delete
  13. Great news about the eye!
    Fabulous outfits, I adore the print on your maxi skirt and that super groovy chevron dress and I'm very excited to spot those sandals out and about. The crane print blouse, blue basket, bangle and chair book would all have come home with me, too!
    Adrift is a fantastic new addition to the sculpture park.
    I hope you & Jos are enjoying your break...counting the days till our! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix! I'm so behind with replying to comments that both our breaks are over by now! xxx

      Delete
  14. So sorry to hear about your eye troubles.
    That cat scarf is everything!
    Love all the pictures of the sculptures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hena, and that cat scarf was the best gift ever! xxx

      Delete
  15. I am so pleased to hear that your eye problems are resolving in their own way .
    I do enjoy seeing your always colourful Summer dresses.
    It will be interesting to see the completed sculpture park , such a inspiring place to walk. I hope you are enjoying your break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jill. I've been following your European travels on Instagram with excitement! xxx

      Delete
  16. Just stopping by to wish you a nice start of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm glad that your eyes are starting to feel a bit better! So much to love in this blog post. Personally, a gift of a scarf, a bag of coffee beans and a homemade cake sounds like absolute perfection to me. Your charity shop finds are beautiful, especially that yellow denim jacket, and I love your mustard dress. Hope you're well, and thank you as always for the kind comments on my blog posts. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Louise, and obviously you are most welcome! xxx

      Delete
  18. Lovely picture of you Ann by the sunny sunflowers ❤❤❤
    Some super good finds there. Love the cat scarf & brooch.
    I'm not likely to forget the new fountain addition in the sculpture park - very striking indeed. The space pod is rather wonderful too. Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lulu! That dress just called for being photographed in front of those sunflowers! The space pod will always remain a favourite! xxx

      Delete
  19. p.s. glad the eye issue is slowly getting better / more manageable xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's a relief that it's become more manageable! xxx

      Delete
  20. Hi!!! Am loving your Louche dress!!! It's so pretty! One of my very favourite dresses is from Joy (the shop that stocked Louche). You did well on the Chaz finds!
    Im sorry your eye is still troubling you but relieved that it is improving.
    Kxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my lovely! I'd never heard of Louche before I found this one at the chazza! xxx

      Delete