Monday 16 May 2022

Dreaming of Manderley

Lately, my procrastination habits have been getting the better of me, as even with only a 4-day working week followed by a 3-day weekend, things only get ticked off from my to-do list at a snail's pace.

It isn't the first time that I'm left wondering how I ever fit both fun things and the inevitable chores into a 2-day weekend and have time for blogging on a regular basis too.

Never mind that my blog is lagging behind real life as usual, this time I only just started writing this post, its subject matter dating from over a week ago, as yet another weekend was drawing to its close. It's nothing short of a miracle that I managed to finish and publish it on Monday!



So, let's get our skates on and step into that time machine once more, alighting on Thursday the 5th of May at the end of another sun-drenched day.

It had been a busy one at the office, so forgive me if I'm looking a bit dishevelled, but I was determined to show you the outfit I was wearing that day.

This short-sleeved vintage frock, with its Springlike green, blue, lilac and pink watercolour print, round neckline and dagger collar, definitely isn't making its debut here.
 



Apparently, it didn't leave my wardrobe at all last year, but funnily enough, the last time it did, almost exactly two years ago to the date, I was wearing it with the same belt, a favourite tan leather one.

At least, and much to my relief, the rest of my accessories were different this time: I added a beaded necklace in the same colour as the belt and a faux-tortoiseshell rimmed brooch framing the portrait of a red-haired lady. With the temperature stuck in the mid-teens, I wore a green cardigan on top and took the opportunity to wear my beloved green suede ankle boots again, with my socklets playing peek-a-boo!



Pinks and lilacs galore in our little plot as well, the first represented by my beloved Aquilegias "Nora Barlow", which are popping up all over the place, and the developing two-tone pink flower spikes of Lupinus "My Castle".

As always, it's a delight to see the lilac globes of Allium "Purple Sensation" burst out of their skins, which they seem to be doing with gusto!



I tend to ooh and aah over many a flower, but in the end it are often the less showy ones which steal my heart. Case in point are the flowers beloning to Geranium phaeum.  Also known as dusky crane's-bill, mourning widow or black widow, its crinkly edged dusky purple petals turn backwards to show its conspicuous projecting stamens and style. 

We have a small self-seeded one which had made a crack in the paving its home, but we planted a new specimen last year (see below, bottom right) which seems to be in fine fettle.




And all the time, flowers come and go, in a seemingly never-ending cycle. 

We waved goodbye to our Clematis "Guernsey Cream" blooms, which have now all turned into gorgeous seed-heads, and said hello to the first of the little daisy-like flowers of Erigeron 'karvinskianus', better known as Mexican fleabane (top right).



Initially overcast and slightly foggy, it started clearing up by midday on Friday the 6th of May, the mercury eventually climbing to 21°C.

After breakfast, we made sandwiches before embarking on our usual Friday charity shop trawl.

In between shops, we stopped off at the park in Duffel for a picnic, returning to the park for a stroll after our rummage at the second shop.



My skirt, a Think Twice find in February 2020, is another item which hadn't seen the light of day since that fateful year's first lockdown. It has the most glorious pattern, once likened by someone to a display of colourful plates. With plenty of colours to choose from, I went for blue for my short-sleeved cotton jumper and red for my woven belt, cat brooch and three-quarter sleeved cropped cardigan.

My wooden beaded necklace has all the colours, plus pink, and I was wearing a yellow perspex ring.

To trample among the carpet of daisies, I was wearing my old oatmeal wicker panelled ankle boots. They have seen better times, but I simply cannot say goodbye to them, so I'm letting them live out their lives by wearing them for Spring and early Summer walks in the park.



Ah, isn't this a sight for sore eyes? All those fresh Spring greens, a lawn full of daisies and a cloudless blue sky. 



The brook was bordered by dense and lush vegetation, which was almost obliterating it from view. By the looks of it, there will be plenty of yellow flag Irises soon, their gently nodding heads thought to be the inspiration for the fleur-de-lis symbol. 

And oh look! I loved how that tree stump had developed a heart shaped hole!

Frogs could be heard but not seen, then stopped their croaking once I stepped onto the wooden bridge crossing the brook.



The white lacecap flowers of Viburnum plicatum were providing the perfect backdrop for my outfit. If they were trying to steal the show, they were outnumbered and defeated by the banks of differently coloured Rhododendrons which are the park's major attraction this time of year.



While Jos rested his feet and sat contemplating life on a bench, I continued my explorations, meeting flowering Elderbery bushes and pale pink Rhododendron blooms. 

The tinkling stone fountain too can be heard rather than seen as yet another season's layer of lush growth is putting in its two pennies worth in hiding it from view (bottom right).

For those who are wondering, Jos does have other shirts than the pink Chambray one, it just happens to be his current favourite :-) 




Another frog chorus erupted from the pond which is hidden behind the undergrowth. At least these ones had the decency not to stop their ribitting upon my approach!



I took the time to stand and stare at nature's bounty, and the various stages of the developing Rhododendron flower buds in particular, their tips dipped into the brightest of paints.

These majestic shrubs with their spectacular flowers always make me think of the Rhododendrons which stood fifty feet high along the abandoned drive to Manderley in Daphne du Maurier's Rebecca. One of my favourite books which I think is long overdue a reread.




Fifty feet high they may not be here in this humble park. No, they are firmly kept in check, allowed to spread horizontally rather than climb to such unimaginable heights.

At one point I was faced with a sea of fuchsia pink and lavender blooms growing in dappled shade, the prima ballerina at the front spotlighted by a ray of sunshine which had managed to pierce itself through the canopy.




Now, without further ado, let me show you my bounty, the majority of which was found in the shop near the park.

This time of year makes me scour the rails for breezy Summer tops. The orange cotton one is by Gigue, while the aqua leaf-patterned one is by the Belgian Vila Joy label, and both are welcome additions to my Summer wardrobe.




I fell head over heels for the chevron patterned wrap skirt, which originates from JBC, a Belgian high street shop, while the aqua and white striped and yellow bordered cardigan is bound to become a Summer staple.



I initially dithered over the brown skirt with its Paisley-esque pattern in shades of coral and orange, until I took it to the fitting rooms and loved how it looked on me. Due to its strong Autumnal vibes, however, I don't think you will see me wearing it on the blog anytime soon.

Finally, the striped and floral pair of palazzos, which was my only find in the first shop we visited. For once, they are the perfect length on me, so that there's no need to add hemming them  to my to-do list! 

See you again soon!



38 comments:

  1. I've been beating myself up over not visiting blogs more regularly, Ann, so let's call a moratorium on our self-flagellations!

    Love your bright outfits, especially the plate skirt one (love that name). All that greenery is balm to the soul - we've had such crap weather for the past couple of months. Such lovely finds - the palazzo pants are calling to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed on the moratorium Sheila! I've got a thing for palazzo pants lately, and this pair is definitely going to accompany me to the UK! xxx

      Delete
  2. Busy doing nothing is my song! I'm terrible for procrastinating Ann. I marvel at anyone who can work and blog too. It must be tough to fit everything in. The aquilegias are beautiful. I have a problem with snauls in my garden and have given up on trying to grow their food.Love the stripe shirt by the way xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phew, I'm so glad I'm not the only one Laurie! Fingers crossed, there haven't been too many snails in our garden so far. Although now I've said so I've probably jinxed it :-) xxx

      Delete
  3. Ik blijf lachen bij jou! Ik heb hem op vertalen staan!! Mijn engels is zo slecht!! Super kleurig logje, de ketting is super leuk!!
    Groetjes Thea ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. the dress speaks "spring!" and the top is a perfect match for that skirt........ love frog song - they sing in the oxbow lake below the BWHgarden too.
    your garden looks gorgeous! we went to rhododendron park last friday - some of the plants there are big as dove cottage :-D
    hugsies! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love frog song too, and have never understood people complaining about it keeping them awake at night! I think it's a very soothing sound! xxx

      Delete
  5. What a pretty skirt. And all of our behavior patterns are off, knocked askew by the pandemic and life changes. You'll settle back down into a more productive routine soon. Don't lose hope!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely to read that I'm not the only one amazed about my productivity before lockdown, working, attending classes, going to the gym, having a social life and blogging. Nowadays, even half of the things look overwhelming.
    Love that cute purple&green dress and matchy accessories. And obviously love that Fabulously Multicoloured Skirt in your beautiful photos in the park. So fantastic colour combo, the reds and blues are such a joy for sore eyes. Same for the flowers and the park!, that's a lovely walk!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'M glad I'm not the only one either ... sometimes I wonder if it will ever come back again! xxx

      Delete
  7. Managing my time seems to be impossible at the moment so I do understand not getting to blogs in a timely manner. It should be fun though, not pressure.
    I lived in a house years ago with rhododendrons that scaled the front all the way to the roof. Maybe not 50 feet, but close. I was always afraid I'd go missing and be found in them come winter :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogging is definitely not pressure, it's the other things which are :-) xxx

      Delete
  8. Oh this colourful skirt is sooo wonderful! I love it. And who nice is this park! No wonder you dreaming about Manderley :)
    With a very huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
  9. The first dress gives me Monet vibes!

    Oh wow! That field of daisies!!!!!!!!!

    That sea of rhododendrons does look nice, but I agree, I would love to see some fifty foot high ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Laura, it's the reason I'm calling it my watercolour dress :-) xxx

      Delete
  10. What a perfect dress for Spring Ann! Just love these spring posts, packed with colour. I'm amazed at just how many specimens you have crammed into your courtyard garden at Dove Cottage! I love rhododendrons too. There's something very glamorous about them. We have a couple in our garden that pre-date us. We have calculated that they must be heading towards their centenary year. The frog chorus is music to my ears and that field of daisies is just breath taking! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claire! Can it get any better than a frog chorus and a field full of daisies? xxx

      Delete
  11. I thought your style was cute, I loved the colors of the skirt and I liked the brooch, and I loved the blog.
    https://beperes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. 'Rebecca', 'Jane Eyre' and 'Oliver Twist' are my three favourite books of all time. I could re-read and re-read...

    So glad the weather came through at last; glorious blue skies and sun make such a difference. You looked very summery in all your outfits; loved the watercolour dress and the amazingly patterned skirt. And the green ankle boots of course!

    What great finds, too! I'm not jealous at all...

    Hope the good weather continues for you and that you feel a little less over whelmed. I've seriously thought about giving up blogging in the past but I do so enjoy it and now I'm not rummaging I even have more time!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vronni! It has never entered my mind to stop blogging, as I love it so much. Perhaps retirement would be a solution :-) xxx

      Delete
  13. Hello Ann! I have never read Rebecca but Daphne Du Maurier's old river side home in Fowey isn't too far from here and is often snapped by Mike (@Mike's Cornwall blog). The Rhododenrons are in full bloom here and some are seriously mutant :0 I shall have to share some on my next correspondence post. The Geranium phauem is beautiful! I sincerely hope you did at least one rolly polly on the park's daisy lawn? Wonderful plate pattern colourful skirt. I think I've said it before, but I'll say it again - I do like your green boots xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Living where you do, I think you should definitely read Rebecca! Oh, and please DO share those mutant Rhododendrons! xxx

      Delete
  14. Now you've mentioned it I think I might need to revisit Rebecca, too!
    How fabulous is Dove Cottage's garden looking? I adore that geranium and wish I could dive into the photo of the lake at the park, it looks so tranquil and gorgeous!
    Your Spring-like outfits are so colourful and fun and you scored some beauties with those wafty tops and pretty skirts. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've put Rebecca in my reading pile in the meantime. However, my copy being a vintage paperback, I'm reluctant to crack its spine! Will have to look out for a spare and less delicate copy when we're in Shropshire! xxx

      Delete
  15. What joyous Spring pictures! and some great finds in the charity shops too.
    Rebecca is also one of my favourite books I have a great audio book version that I listen to often.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The pattern on that Think Twice skirt really is a head-turning beauty! So vibrant, artistic and bursting with upbeat energy. Just the thing to team with May's inherent sense of good cheer and optimism.

    Autumn Zenith 🧡 Witchcrafted Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Autumn! One cannot fail to feel cheerful when wearing that skirt! xxx

      Delete
  17. I had to laugh at your comment about Jos’ shirt, Andy wears the same shirt almost constantly even though he has many others hanging in his wardrobe!
    I procrastinate too, I’ve begun to look at it as a phase of ‘mental preparation’ for any task. Sometimes this is true, other times it turns out I’m really just putting things off! Oh well… xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phew, your comment is making both Jos and me feel relieved we're not the only ones. I always need a lot of mental preparation, a phrase I will gladly adopt! xxx

      Delete
  18. I love the combination of colours in your dress!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These floral photos are truly spectacular!!! Especially that one with the sun shards! Gorgeous!!!! I have been struggling to fit in blogging recently too!! Lovely outfit and that BONNET is SO nice!!!!xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kezzie! That is my favourite photo too! xxx

      Delete