Sunday 9 August 2020

Cool for cats

We're right in the middle of a heatwave at the time of writing. The temperature has been gradually creeping towards the high thirties since Tuesday and I'm currently taking shelter indoors as I feel as if I'm about to spontaneously combust whenever I attempt to take a step outside. It's bearable until late morning and well after 9 pm, but in between our little heat trap of a garden is a no-go area. Plants are wilting before our very eyes and some are slowly but surely burning to a crisp. I've brought my laptop downstairs where it's reasonably cool and I'm sat here writing this post in semi-darkness, as we are keeping the blinds down for most of the day.

I know some of you relish the heat, and I do wish I could bottle up some of our excess degrees and send them off to Vix who, I'm sure, will receive them with open arms!


We had a general rehearsal of what was to come on Friday before last, when the sun was out in full force and the mercury gleefully soared to well over 35°C, making it the hottest 31st of July since 1943.

I initially dressed in this pink vintage sun dress, trimmed with real broderie anglaise and sprinkled with clusters of flowers. To counteract all the pinkness, I added a white, yellow and green plastic bangle (a recent charity shop find) and yellow belt. The purple necklace, in its turn, tied in with the lilac flowers in the dress's print. The opalescent purple brooch isn't vintage but has been with me since before my brooch collecting days. Unbelievable as it may sound, it came from H&M.



By lunchtime, Jos made sandwiches and we once again drove to the picnic area at the water tower. 

As we'd planned a nature reserve walk afterwards, and I didn't want to go bare-legged or shouldered, I changed into something more appropriate. The jumpsuit, which was a UK charity shop find last year, fit the bill perfectly.

After we'd eaten our sandwiches at the shadiest of the picnic tables (visible behind Jos in the photo on the top left), we made the effort to climb up to the platform for a glimpse of the Atomium. Judging from the information panels pointing out the landmarks (top right), it should have been visible somewhere behind those pesky trees!  


Then we drove to Terhagen for a walk in yet another nature reserve. The village of Terhagen is where Jos grew up. It was smack dab in the middle of brick-making country and, in fact, some of the paths we walked along skirted the very place where once the tiny hamlet called "De Wildernis" had been.

We followed our map and the walking signs through what has now truly reverted to wilderness. Apart from a man on a bike and a single other walker, we didn't meet a soul all the time we were there, so that we could safely remove our masks, which would have been rather superfluous here.



A closer look at my Phase Eight jump suit, with its sweetheart neckline and cap sleeves. In spite of the fact that it fits me like a glove, it was extremely comfortable to wear, without any clinging whatsoever. I didn't even sweat in it very much. My accessories consisted of a red woven belt and a multi-coloured lacquered wooden necklace. Oh, and my sunglasses and hat, which obviously were a necessity in the glaring sunshine and heat.


We'd envisioned walking under a shady canopy of trees sheltering us from the sun and all went as planned until we came to a subsidiary of the Sahara: a huge and unforgiving sandpit, which - according to the walking signs - we would have to cross. The sun beat down relentlessly and the sandy soil added its two pennies worth by reflecting the heat, so that it felt like being assaulted from both sides. As I was wearing my Clarks Cloudsteppers on my bare feet, the fine sand kept sloshing over the tops and burning my feet.

I know we should have turned back but I was adamant to have a look at the half-drowned dredger left at the side of one of the ex-clay pits turned pond. 


It was the thought of a cool non-alcoholic beer back at home which kept us going. Once there, with our last bit of energy we dragged the enamel tub we keep in the shed into the kitchen, filled it with ice cold water pumped up from the well and ... ah, utter bliss!


There was a considerable and welcome drop in temperature on Saturday, the first of August. Helped by some overnight rain, the thermometer stuck to the mid twenties, with a mixture of sunshine and clouds throughout the day. 

Most of our garden's plants seemed to have survived the previous day's heat unscathed and I was delighted to see that the flower buds in our Sea Holly were starting to show their true colour.



We were on double cat-sitting duties that weekend, both at Jos's eldest daughter's house and his son's.

My outfit choice of the day consisted of the Cassis dress I'd picked up at the charity shop the other week, over which I threw on a lightweight garment I'm keep at the ready on the back of a chair. Charity shopped in June 2019, I think this is what is called a haori. Correct me if I'm wrong, Sheila!




The somewhat haughty Abby was awaiting us at Jos's son's, where obviously we took advantage of their fabulous staircase photo studio.

I accessorized the dress with one of my favourite stretchy belts - I've lost count of the number of times I wore it in the last couple of months - as well as a shell necklace, a circular brooch with flower embroidery, a pink plastic ring and a wood and purple shell bracelet.

Everything but the belt and the Tamaris espadrille wedges were second-hand buys.



On duty again on Sunday at Jos's daughter's house, where we had to feed the two cats and replenish the drinking water in the bird cage.

I'm head over heels with the magnificent tiles in their hallway! My red and cream sling-back shoes are an old sales bargain, which I keep forgetting about and which I should definitely wear more.


The black cat is called Lies and is a substantially thinner and friendlier version of Phoebe. She came downstairs to greet us, while the tabby cat I've forgotten the name of was too much of a scaredy cat to come out of hiding. It seems we were lucky to catch this brief glimpse of her at the top of the stairs.


I'll never forget finding this vintage butterfly sleeved dress at a charity shop on my birthday back in 2016, and when I checked my blog to make sure I got the year correct, I saw that I found the sun hat I was wearing for our walk on Friday on the same day!



Once again, we made use of the fantastic light conditions and staircase at Abby's headquarters. The lady of the house sat watching us disdainfully  and then decided she had better things to do, like making her toilette!


The butterfly brooch I pinned to my dress was feeling quite at home among the profusion of flowers. 

I kept to a cream, black and red colour scheme for the rest of my accessories, which included a long beaded necklace, a zebra striped bangle, a red beaded bracelet and a cream, black and red abstract poppy ring.


What with all the cats, we almost forgot we have one of our own to keep fed, watered and generally treated like royalty. There's nothing she loves better than snoozing in the garden!

Well, that's it for now. Tales of how we survived the heatwave will be told in my next post.

Until then, keep safe and as sane as possible. And fabulous too, obviously.



32 comments:

  1. I've just finished reading the last post and was very happy to see there was a new one I can enjoy reading! We're experiencing heat wave as well but I was expecting it, so I'm mentally prepared. Mostar is the hottest city I have ever been to or lived in. Just the other day it was 43 degrees in front of our home- in the afternoon! Fortunately, on that particular day we escaped the city to look for refuge in the mountains but still.... I survive by avoiding the sun at its strongest. I was much better with heat when I was younger.
    I absolutely love this pink vintage sun dress. It is such a pretty dress and the details are marvelous. I love that it is trimmed with real broderie anglaise. I also like your accessories, the charity shopped white, yellow and green plastic bangle and the yellow belt. The purple necklace is and the purple brooch are lovely as well, and how nice they match the interesting lilac flowers on the print. Lilac and pink- it is such a nice colour combo.

    It is great that you and Jos were able to do some walking and get outside. A nature reserve walk sounds nice. afterwards, and I didn't want to go bare-legged or shouldered, I changed into something more appropriate. The jumpsuit you wore suits you so well. The print on the jumpsuit is fantastic. Another great charity find. All in all, very pretty hiking outfit. I also like the outfit you wore for cat sitting. That dress looks wonderful on you. I'm looking forward to tales of how you survived the heatwave. I myself plan to stay indoors for most days and only go out in the morning and the evening.

    Have a lovely rest of Sunday and a nice weekend ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivana! I always think I'm mentally prepared for a heatwave, but it turns out to be a totally different story once we're in the thick of it. It is so exhausting! I do the same as you, staying indoors for most of the day, except first thing in the morning and well into the evening! xxx

      Delete
  2. Yes, let's figure out a way to bottle the heat and send it to Vix! We are expecting 37-42 c by this afternoon!

    I would not have believed that was from H&M.

    Glad your feet got a reviving soak. Stay cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judging from Vix's comment on my next post, it worked :-) I've got quite a few brooches from H&M from the same era, and saw one of them being sold as vintage on a flea market earlier this year. There was no way I could convince that seller that it was H&M! xxx

      Delete
  3. I’m chuckling here Ann, wishing we could have a look round Jos’s children’s homes. I’m so nosey haha.
    Then I laughed at you two with your feet in the cold water bowl. Great idea to cool down though.
    You’re wearing some super outfits, I think my favourite though is the pink sundress. It looks lovely on you.
    I’m not a sun worshipper myself, preferring to stay in the shade and look out across the fields from our lounge windows.
    The nature reserve we overlook is mobbed with people now. I went down there yesterday with a friend. It seems odd as it’s usually just local folk strolling along with their dogs. No doubt it will quieten down once the weather changes. We are so lucky to live where we do and see so much greenery every day Ann.
    Hope you have a good week you two. We are off to the caravan tomorrow to open it up. Only staying one night though just to feel our way really xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely nosey too, especially when it comes to looking inside people's houses! You are indeed lucky to live where you do. I would stay in the shade and look across the fields myself, if there were any fields to look at. It's a good thing the nature reserve(s) we went to weren't too busy, as I would have scarpered if they were. xxx

      Delete
  4. Oh yes, please! If everyone sent their excess temperatures over to me I'd be happier than a happy thing! It's never too hot for me.
    I'm loving that pink dress on you and do I see freshly cut hair?
    What a treat, four fabulous cats to swoon over. That's why the internet was invented, cat photos!
    The jumpsuit looks great, the new one fits perfectly and that's a lovely cheery print on the final dress.
    I'm swooning over Jos's daughter's tiles!
    That marooned dredger makes for a very atmospheric photo.
    I'm putting my bikini on under my clothes today so I can strip off as soon as the sun makes an appearance, it's very gloomy at the moment. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do indeed spy freshly cut and coloured hair. It was an ordeal getting it done while wearing a mask, but definitely worth it! Those tiles are fab, aren't they. They're the original ones from the late 1970s, and I'm glad they kept them! xxx

      Delete
  5. Totally agree on sending our excess temperaturas over to Vix!. We're having a heatwave too (37-42ºC) and nights are not cooler which makes it more unbearable!.
    Anyway, you look fresh and cool in your pink dress and I love your jumpsuit too!. Totally understand that you didn't want to go bare-legged. Sorry that you had to go through that mini-Sahara, your poor feet! (the photo of both you sharing the enamel tub!, ;DD)
    Love the Cassis dress, its print and delightful neckline and fab shape!, you look particularly adorable in these photos in the staircase (and Abby looks really Regal!).
    Love both the tiles and your slingback shoes!. Looking fab in your floral dress too, so summery and elegant!.
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica! I do hope your heatwave is over by now. It's so draining, isn't it, especially when it doesn't cool down overnight. I'll think twice to go through that mini-Sahara again during a heatwave, too! xxx

      Delete
  6. oh yes I send the heat to Vix 😄.To go at work is unbearable . Good you hade a stroll around and at the water tower. You look a little bit tired Ann.
    Cool pictures at the staircase. You look like a model. 😉
    A very huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a bit tired, that's for sure, Tina. I think it's the whole situation which is getting to me. I will be glad to escape to our usual holiday cottage in Belgium's west country for a week soon. I do need a change of scenery! xxx

      Delete
  7. Why is it that so often I hear a song popping up when I read your titles! And you don't know that cat's name? Oh shame on you. So now the platform was empty then? The staircase sure is gorgeous and so are the tiles. But did I also spot a glass bottom thing there? What is that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I wouldn't know :-)) This one was rather obvious, no? I have to admit that songs are my first port of call when it comes to post titles. Unless I can't find a suitable one ... Oh, and the glass bottom thing is a see-through glass panel between the first and ground floor in Jos's son's home. You can walk on it and see the kitchen below. xxx

      Delete
  8. Its roasting here today and I love it! You have managed to look very cool in your jumpsuit and the nature reserve looks beautiful. I bet the freezing footbath was welcome though, especially after your Saharan escapade.
    I hope your garden is coping, our grass has turned to a crisp and watering has become imperative!
    Lovely cat photos and those stairs are quite the location for modelling your outfits. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sally! Next time, I'll divide the excess temperature between you and Vix ;-) Our garden seems to have coped quite well, but there are still one or two casualties! xxx

      Delete
  9. so many cute cats in one post - awwww****
    love the pink sundress and you look fab in that jumpsuit!
    i would have enjoyed the mini sahara - since i was in australia 1999 i can cope very well with heat - we went on hikes in the outback at 47°C in the shade - but there was no shade where we walked ;-D
    since today our heatwave is history - the forests and gardens are thankfully i guess.......
    stay cool and safe! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes to cute cats, I'd say! Our heatwave is history too by now. We had a heavy thunderstorm earlier today and everything has finally cooled down. I can hear the sighs of relief from the garden! xxx

      Delete
  10. My feet feel cooler just looking at that picture of your and Jos' feet in that tub of cold water! Wow, that's really HOT! I can't even imagine that.

    I love your pink sundress - it's so pretty on you! - and I'm in love with that jumpsuit too.

    What a plethora of beautiful kitties in this post. That grey one is amazing - look at those eyes! The "skinny Phoebe" is lovely, and tabbies all seem to be fraidy-cats!

    I hope things cool off for you soon, Ann!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were talking of cool drinks and a cold foot bath on our way home, which is what kept us going! Abby, the British shorthair, is a real beauty ... and she knows it. Both our previous cat and my grandparents' misnamed cat Tarzan, were tabbies and fraidy-cats, so you might be right there, Sheila! xxx

      Delete
  11. Yes it is Harori, I like wearing a yukata In summer as you can get different materials in them. And we get lots of them in at work, when I go back.
    I love cats, but sadly they don’t like me! I love my dog, we had a cat but she went senile and ended wrecking the house by doing her business all over the house not fun. She was 21 when she passed away. She is burried in the back garden.
    Love the dresses and the jumpsuit. Phase eight is a very expensive brand!
    Take care and keep safe It was 40 In Tokyo yesterday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phew, I'm glad I got that right Allie. I will have to look up "yukata" now! 21 is really old, I can imagine her being senile in the end. It cannot have been much fun. We had 40+ degrees last Summer, and I'm still not sure how I survived! xxx

      Delete
  12. I'm like you Ann. Way too hot for me too! And what do you wear in this soaring heat apart from nothing? That has been a problem for me this week. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laurie, I've been having problems all week as well. Anything you're wearing is too much! xxx

      Delete
  13. Happy cats!...Even your dress with cheerful red flowers! I love the bracelet you wore with it! Good Summer!
    Carmela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carmela! The bracelet was a flea market find. xxx

      Delete
  14. I hope the weather has cooled a little for you Ann and your garden has coped well with the heat. Your dresses are always so bright and cheery . The jumpsuit also looks so good on you . I did admire those wonderful tiles in Jos's daughters house. Take care. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jill. My garden coped reasonably well, even if there are still one or two casualties. xxx

      Delete
  15. Aw, so many cute cats. I bet they weren't impressed with the heatwave - mine spent days lying around like furry puddles.

    That jumpsuit really suits you, and fits so well. Phase Eight is quite a high-end brand and their stuff's good quality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mim! Phoebe's certainly not a fan of the heatwave, spending most of her time either in shady corner under some ferns or ... under our bed. Why she would do the latter is a mystery to me, as it's a sauna upstairs! xxx

      Delete