Thursday 23 January 2020

A stitch in time

The dust has settled and life at the office has gone back to normal. Nevertheless, my blog is still a week or two behind real life so that, while the calendar tells me it's January 23, I've still got to tell you about what I've been up to in the week and weekend before last.

Not that I've been up to very much at all, mind you. At this particularly uneventful time of year, the days and weeks seem to hurtle by even faster than usual, in hindsight making it almost impossible to distinguish one from the other.


But there have been a couple of bright sparks throughout, even if they were mainly provided by what I've been wearing.

A promise is a promise, so I'll start with that burnt orange velvety skirt last seen wearing by Angelica. Finally, that week, it was my turn!

There's something quintessentially 1970s about orange and brown, which people are forever associating with that decade. In later times, the colour combination was jokingly referred to in a what-were-they-thinking kind of way, but fashion designers back then definitely must have known what they were doing, as I for one think orange and brown is a great and timeless look!



So, in honour of the decade in which I did most of my growing up, I plucked this brown floral vintage blouse from my wardrobe and introduced it to the skirt which, rather than being vintage, is from a modern-day brand called American Outfitters. Never heard of them? I can't blame you, as in spite of its name, it's a Belgian label founded in the late 1990s.

I'm sure you must have recognized the teal King Louie cardigan, the woven belt and the beads, as they're all regulars on the blog, all of them charity shop or flea market finds. The brooch was a flea market find as well, bought from the famous Brooch Lady in February 2017. 


The week had been a particularly grey and wet one, the days dark and dreary, making my eyelids droop by mid-afternoon and filling my head with cotton wool.

On Fridays my office closes early, so that there was still a smidgen of daylight about when I was on my way home. The sun had finally managed to chase away the eternal rainclouds, only to start setting soon afterwards, back-lighting the clouds with the last of her orange glow.



The latest Think Twice sales had been in full swing that week but pickings had been rather slim until at the end of the week I stumbled upon this exquisite white raffia handbag. I keep telling myself I should stop buying more handbags, but there was no way I could resist taking this beauty home for only € 4.

I paid the same price for a green speckled polyester dress, which unfortunately had lost some of its buttons. No big deal, as I didn't like them much anyway, so I scoured my stash of vintage buttons, hitting upon these perfect, and far nicer, replacements.

I already wore the dress to work last week, but as things were a bit hectic no outfit photos were made, which I'll have to remedy by wearing it again soon.


While I had my sewing basket out on Saturday morning, I decided to strike the iron while it was hot and finally tackle the partially detached side zip of a dress I bought in the Think Twice sales several months ago. 

Upon closely examining the dress, I noticed several split seams had been repaired by its previous owner using what looked like black darning yarn. To make matters worse, some of these so-called repairs had been done on the outside of the dress, so that there was nothing for it but to remove them all and re-do them using the appropriate sewing thread.

I may be far from a natural at sewing but even with my limited skills I managed to do better. Some people!



Here is the dress in question, which admittedly I only wore for these photos. I'd planned to wear it for work in the week ahead but I totally forgot, so it is still patiently waiting its turn.

The starburst brooch and the snakeskin belt were both flea market finds, while the ring came from a market stall in Bruges. 


Now this is what I really wore that Saturday for another rummage at the charity shops.

I love pleated skirts and dresses, and have several of them inhabiting my wardrobe. Among them, this vintage frock with a print of tiny squares in blue, pink, red, lilac and turquoise and a row of squarish red buttons at the bodice.

I added a wide red woven belt and turquoise beads and pinned a red posy brooch to my turquoise cardigan. Again, most of my outfit is vintage or second hand, except for the tights and the ankle boots. The latter is an old but favourite pair, which has been to the cobbler's a couple of times during its lifetime.



Here, and in the above collage, you can see how wide the dress's skirt actually is. Perfect for twirling or doing a little jig, but not so perfect for that day's weather. There was a fierce and chilly wind blowing so that I had to keep clutching my skirt while on our way to our garage and in-between shops. And why, oh why, did I have to wear this gorgeous but inadequately thin fur collared jacket?


I could tell you all about the fluffy pink scarf I was wearing or the pink and white knitted beret, but I'm sure you wouldn't have been listening, having your eyes fixed firmly on my handbag!

Isn't it fabulous? OK, I have been very, very bad, as I bought it new in the sales at Mango. Also, two handbags in one week, in spite of my self-imposed handbag ban! 

Enough said, let's go charity shopping instead.



Back in the 1970s, brown and orange didn't just rule the catwalks. It was omnipresent and I'm sure that every self-respecting home had its fair share of these colours in its furnishings and homewares.

We snapped up this plastic bread basket from the German Emsa brand in our local charity shop for € 1,50 that day. Made to resemble wood and decorated with a rim of orange and yellow flowers, we already have several items from the same range, including a spice rack, a coffee filter holder and an egg-timer. 


Oh, and we've got egg cups and a jam pot as well! The big brown flower decorated melamine tray isn't Emsa, but vintage St. Michaels, found at a retro event back in October 2017.



We went to another shop a bit further afield that day as well. Rummaging their well-stocked clothing department, I initially thought I'd hit the jackpot upon spotting a whole colour range of apparently deadstock berets. Unfortunately they were all the same size and too big for me, although I am now regretting leaving them behind as they were only € 1 each.

As it is, I only bought this red knitted hat - also deadstock, with a still pristine C&A label - as well as a long and super soft multi coloured scarf.




My final find of the day was this rather gorgeous cardigan in a navy honeycomb pattern on pink by Belgian brand Lucy Has A Secret. As it would have originally retailed at a silly price (at a guess, I'd say upwards of € 80), surely € 4 was a bit of a bargain. 

So, that's it for now. I'll be continuing with my catch-up in my next post. 

In the meantime, have a fabulous weekend, my friends!

Linking to Nancy's Fancy Friday linkup this week. Do go and check out this lovely girl!


44 comments:

  1. I can totally understand you could not leave that cute purse there. It's gorgeous. And the cardigan is too. Although I have to say that I want all the colors of those KL cardigans now. They are so perfect for dresses. But I don't have to tell you that, as you do have a lot of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want some more colours too, so I will have to keep scouring the charity shops for more ;-) xxx

      Delete
  2. I think both of your handbags are so pretty! I really like your orange and brown outfit too, that skirt does look great on you, but the last outfit with the pretty but impractical for a windy day dress is my fave! :)

    Hope that you are having a great week :)

    Away From Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mica! I'm not surprised you like those handbags ;-) xxx

      Delete
  3. I'm with you--orange and brown are classics together. You made the whole outfit even more exciting with the addition of your turquoise jewelry.

    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many beauties! Your snakeskin handbag is the BEST! I've never seen anything like it.

    I'll never be properly dressed for the weather no matter how hard I try. At least you looked fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same, never properly dressed for the weather either. For some reason, I always get it wrong! xxx

      Delete
  5. oh ja - manche leute.... ;-D
    but the dress with this great jungle print is worth all the labour you´d put into! very chic!
    i do not like the 70s brown&orange combo - did not even back then - maybe because this are so very not my colors. but on you they look gorgeous! and of cause the emsa stuff fits seamless into the rest of your kitchenalia....
    stay warm! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh well, each to his own I guess. There are certain colour I would never be able to wear, but which suit you magnificently. The orange and brown thing is also a nostalgia trip, btw :-) xxx

      Delete
  6. Oh only 4 euros for this nice cardigan? I love it, and looking forward to pictures you wear it. He is pink :)
    And what a wonderful brand name lucy has a secret ;)
    I am in love with this funny picture of you on one leg!:)
    I wish you a wonderful weekend, with a very huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brown and orange is a lovely earthy combination, I'm sure it's why I so love to work with copper! It's a great look Ann.
    Your twirly pleated dress looks fab with the bright red belt.
    Have a great weekend. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sally, your copper jewellery is just stunning! xxx

      Delete
  8. Hi,
    I follow you #41 ,follow back?

    https://fashionisbiglove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you but I don't do follow for follow. I love having interaction with my followers and vice versa! xxx

      Delete
  9. I so remember those M&S trays...

    Fabulous outfits! I just adore the pattern on the dress you made the repairs on. It's so gorgeous.

    Your new bags are lovely; we all have our can't resist things so rest assured you're in good company!

    What a shame about those berets but your knitted one is lovely and the multi coloured scarf. Loved the cardi - such a fab colour.

    Hope you have a great weekend.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since we didn't have M&S here at the time, I wonder how the tray ended up in a Belgian charity shop! But it was love at first sight, tying in with our 1960s/1970s kitchen ware. xxx

      Delete
  10. Brown and orange melt my heart, and I don't even know why - I was just a small kid in the 70s, and I wasn't raised in the most fashionable surroundings. But, somehow, perhaps in the later years, I really came to appreciate this combination, and it now does remind me of that era (movies, magazines etc.).

    All of your dresses are fab! Love the one with pleated skirt especially, and the purple impression it gives away, thanks to all those colorful tiny squares.

    Lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment, Natalia. Brown and orange is a real nostalgia trip for me. I had a brown and orange bedroom in my teens :-) xxx

      Delete
  11. Gorgeous autumn colours in that first shirt Ann. I love a loud shirt! The whole outfit is great. I just love these colours xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laurie, and I do love a loud shirt as well :-) xxx

      Delete
  12. I personally love the combination of brown and orange. One of my fav colour combos for sure. I'm a fan of seventies fashion. Your first styling is fabulous. That brown printed shirt is so pretty and the burned orange skirt is amazing. Great pairing!
    I also really like your wide purple maxi...the print on it is delightful and I like the red belt you accessorized it with. Nice jacket with the fur collar too.
    P.S. You always find some lovely things in charity shops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivana. I'm a fan of seventies fashion too :-) But believe it or not, sometimes we do not find anything in the charity shops ... xxx

      Delete
  13. I'm sure you wear all these colourful clothes in honor of the grey sky. Happy Monday! Regula

    ReplyDelete
  14. It really is hard to wrap the ol' brain around the we're nearing the end of January already (or that, in other words, Christmas Day was already over a month ago at this point). I've long looked at Jan. as a sort of transitionary month bridging the old year and the new.

    So often one is both a bit behind and also unusually ahead in other areas (or at least that's the case for me :D) of their life. February tends to even things out and helps to further set our pace for the early months of the year.

    I hope that you're enjoying a terrific last weekend of the month, my ever-so-stylish friend, and that it blossoms into a thoroughly beautiful February.

    ♥ Autumn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Autumn, and I definitely agree with you on January being a transitionary month. It seems a very long month too, yet in hindsight the weeks has just sped by, which is very contradictory. xxx

      Delete
  15. Ahh, the world of blogging. I am always behind on blog posts, forever posting things that have happened weeks ago. I figure that it’s okay because I still want to share the outfits.

    American Outfitters is a Belgium company? Never knew that! I’m not sure if we have that store in Australia, but I have heard of it.

    Love the raffa bag. I have the same dilemma – I say to myself I’m not going to buy another bag and then I find an irresistible vintage one for a few dollars! Oh and your snake print bag is just gorgeous. X


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's normal to be behind in the world of blogging. Live first, then blog about it, as Vix would say ;-) I had no idea AO were a Belgian company either, until I googled them for this post! xxx

      Delete
  16. I just love the brown and orange 1970s style colour combinations, Ann! Your first outfit is so pretty! I love that skirt! The top looks great with it and the addition of the teal cardi looks fab too! I love the homewares in that colour combo too! Hope you have a wonderful week ahead, Ann! :) XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sasha, and I'm wishing you wonderful week too! xxx

      Delete
  17. I just love that pink honeycomb cardi - so happy! Lise

    ReplyDelete
  18. So many wonderful outfits..
    It's been a little dark and dreary here too..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hena! Today's weather is just a little bit better, we actually had some sunshine! xxx

      Delete
  19. I blinked and pretty much missed January - it really has gone so fast. Hopefully, February slows us all down a little.

    All your outfits are one more prettier than the other. Your first orange and brown outfit is beautiful. I agree about orange and brown being so timeless. It takes me right back. My mother/father-in-law still have their orange/brown kitchen which is a masterpiece. I'm so glad they never bothered to upgrade it because it's so charming.

    Don't talk to me about bags! I always find it hard to walk away if they're beautiful and cheap. I'm always reminding my daughter Jessica to talk me out of buying any more when we're at the market, but lo and behold, these bloody bags always find me! Your new one is lovely by the way.

    Also, your bread basket and other pieces are gorgeous. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suzy! I can't believe the first month of the year has come and gone. It's good to hear that you too appreciate the orange and brown colour combination. That kitchen must be so groovy. How wonderful that your parents in law kept it that way. xxx

      Delete
  20. Love your orange skirt and how lovely it looks with brown and blue colors, it's such an 70's color combo and you rock it!
    Love the green floral dress with the magnificent bold print!, and glad that you could fix all the bad sewing (I've found myself some of these 'repairings' too).
    And my favourite dress is the last one!. Lovely geometric print, lovely colors and you picked some fab accessories, brilliant!, this brooch is adorable!. Sorry that the cute jacket was not weather appropriate. But looking gorgeous! and wearing also a fab bag!
    I like particularly the melamine tray, it makes me feel nostalgic!. And the navy&pink jacket looks fab!
    besos
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica! I'm not a very efficient sewer, but surely it's not rocket science to repair a split seam! Tha melamine tray is gorgeous, isn't it? Such a lucky find! xxx

      Delete
  21. Ah, the 70s and their "wacky" colours! Will we say the same about the teal/pink or peach/light grey classic early 90s combo too?

    I've seen the American Outfitters brand and assumed it was...American! That is a lovely skirt - I like the big box pleat on the front.

    You are too cute in your pleats - the tippy photo made me laugh. What a naughty previous owner your other fab dress had, using black thread on the outside?? Seriously, why not just staple it, ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a fan of early 90s fashion at all, so I don't think I'd ever call them wacky. Wacky is good! Oh, and if they'd just stapled the dress, it would have been much easier to undo ;-) xx

      Delete
  22. I can never resist a cheap beret!!! You look lovely in that pleated dress! Doesn't a full skirt always make you feel special?! I do!! I love the fake wooden trays etc!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beret will be my undoing ;-) and yet, I do love wearing a full, pleated skirt, even if they make my hips looks broader than they actually are ... xxx

      Delete