Wednesday 18 December 2019

Terrific tartan and perfect plaid

Yet another flea market has come and gone and I haven't even told you about our finds on the previous one! I really must get my skates on! They'd have to be old fashioned roller skates, though, as I used to love to whizz around on them a lifetime ago. Ice skates, not so much, as I had a little ice related accident when I was four years old, ending up with a broken arm and a lifelong trauma.

But I'm blathering on a bit, and if I keep going at that rate I will still be talking about my December outings and outfits well into the new year!

So, back to the first Sunday of the month, when we were all ready to go to yet another extra edition of our favourite flea market.


Here's the wrongly sized cardigan I found at the charity shop that weekend. As soon as I clapped eyes on it and its delicious embroidered flowers, I knew it would be the perfect companion for my tartan pattern circle skirt.

I fell head over heels for the skirt when I was trying to shake off the New Year blues on the second day of this year by going for a walk around my little hometown. Halfheartedly looking at the festive shop windows which were now past their sell-by date, the skirt was imploring me to ignore my self-imposed rules and principles about not giving in to fast fashion.

In addition, the shop in question was making an early start with the sales, so that any left-over resistance melted away like ice cream on a hot day.



As a nod to the brown flowers nestling between their blue and white sisters, I added a translucent brown beaded necklace and a wide tan belt.

I lost count of the number of times I was told I was dressed for Christmas. Well, maybe I shouldn't have worn my green furry collared jacket on top, and pinned the leaping stag brooch to it, which one of the stall holder insisted was a reindeer! 



We have a season ticket for this flea market which, except for July and August, is being held one weekend a month. This year, there were some extra editions in November and December, and while this might sound like a good thing, there were fewer stalls and, apart from the usual diehards like us, it seemed to be one too many for a lot of regulars.

This particular edition still had a good mix of stalls selling an array of items, from lovingly laid out vintage to haphazardly packed cartons containing everything but the kitchen sink.

Our finds were a mixed bunch as well. The red woolly thing is a jumper and it was my first buy that day. Originally from the high street, I was more than happy to hand over its € 2 asking price. The creamy thing on its right is a vintage slip, for which I paid the same price. They are becoming rarer than hen's teeth these days.



At our friend Tanja's stall, we fell for this sugar bowl and milk jug. Dating from the late 1960s, they are from the Belgian Boch pottery and the pattern is called Argenteuil. We already have several pieces of this pattern, including a coffee pot, so it was obvious that these had to come home with us.



No, your eyes aren't deceiving you! This is indeed a roll of loo paper. A vintage one, obviously. Isn't that packaging absolutely fabulous? This has gone straight into the display on top of our bathroom cabinet, where it is joining another roll from a different brand. For a little peek inside our tiny bathroom, see my post from June 2016. As this is over 3 years ago, it goes without saying that it's a bit more crowded up there now!



From Rita, who usually has a stall back-to-back with Tanja's, came this delightful vintage powder compact, while Jos pounced on the Expo 58 medallion inside its round blue box stamped with the 1958 World Fair's emblem, which came from the same stall.



I'm always on the lookout for cheap 'n cheerful costume jewellery, like these chunky rings and mottled green beaded necklace.


We were already more than halfway through the flea market's aisles when I found my first brooches.

These all came from the same lady from whom I've been buying for years. Pickings were meagre this time, but I still came away with these four.


My favourite and most exciting find of the day came at the very end. Browsing another regular trader's stall, I spied these two brooches hidden away inside a display case. It is thanks to French blogger Solenn (you can find her blog here) that I recognized them as 1940s handmade brooches.


The following week brought us another string of dark rainy days, the rain often increasing in intensity by late afternoon, and resulting in the usual rush hour traffic disruption.



By Friday, the temperatures had taken a nose dive as well, but at least I had the afternoon off so that we could dash outside in daylight for some outfit photos.

I didn't stop raining all afternoon, and I had no option but to make use of my brolly.

In case you are worried, my trusty photographer took these shots standing under the glass awning outside our kitchen door, so that he didn't get wet either!



The cold prompted me to dig out my woollies, starting with the plaid Gor-Ray skirt which was a lucky charity shop find about a year ago.

The gorgeous jumper with its profusion of pink roses is another King Louie find. Both the jumper and the green Mango cardigan were charity shopped as well.

I just love pink and green together!



As they are not visible in the outfit photos, I included a close-up of the jumper's delightful puff sleeves.

I thought the Limoges style ceramic brooch enhanced the old-fashioned romantic vibe of the jumper, while I chose more pink for my other accessories, a string of pastel pink beads and a fuchsia chunky plastic ring.


So, that is all for now, my dears.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to practice my (ice)skating routine in readiness for my next catch-up of outfits!


31 comments:

  1. I love your tartan skirt with this wonderful cardigan with cute embroidery. You look amazing. by the way, the weather here is about 13 degrees, cardigan weather! :)
    I love your cute vintage findings.
    a very huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. That tartan skirt is wonderful and you have styled it beautifully. I don't think that a fast fashion item is such a bad thing if wear it often and love it....I do love the red tones of your outfit. The other tartan skirt is gorgeous as well. I'm surprised by how many people connect tartan with Christmas, for me tartan is an all year classic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The brooches you found are truly little works of art. I really like the one with Virgin Mary, so intricate.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Ivana! I love that brooch with the Virgin Mary too, it's a souvenir one from a place of pilgrimage in Belgium! xxx

      Delete
  3. Beautiful plaid skirt and how well the cardigan goes with it; sometimes the High Street does throw up very desirable items...

    You got some fab finds at the flea market! So glad you have a sugar bowl and milk jug to match your coffee pot. The brooches are fab; my favourite is the woman's head. I've yet to see one of these here but I keep looking! You're right about the slips; it's ages since I saw one in a charity shop but I have quite a few; mostly waist slips.

    Your second outfit was lovely; the weave in that cardigan is brilliant and yes pink and green are so good together.

    Hope you're not too cold and wet at the moment...
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vronni! I'd been looking for a tartan skirt for ages, but all the ones I found in the charity shops were somehow the wrong size, length or fit. I have quite a few slips and half slips too, but there's always room for more, as I'm using them all the time! xxx

      Delete
  4. Loo-paper! For Display! 😂
    Ok. Back to serious.
    Love both outfits, tartan and plaid being favs of me too - and the charming woolies of cause.
    Great finds, esp. the brooches made of tiny glass beads - they were made near of the BWH - in north eastern bohemia mostly. I have i bright colored, heart shaped one.....
    xxxxx 💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beate! I remember that brooch! These were actually home-made ones dating from the war years, make do and mend and all that ;-) xxx

      Delete
  5. Love your tartan skirt and totally understand that you couldn't let it go!. And how lovely it looks with the red cardi!. Love those embroidered flowers and the brilliant accessorizing you created picking a color from the flowers. The tan belt and brown beads look perfect!.
    I'm glad that I still can dress in red and/or green as these colors are not particularly christmas-related in Spain (even if the influence of american films is changing this quickly).
    Love to see your flea market booty and the cute pottery, also the roll of paper with its beautiful package!. Those broochs look delightful too, the tiny beads are so cute!
    Really lovely outfit in pink and green, you make these colors rock!. Love your jumper's floral motive and sleeves! and your skirt!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you to be able to wear red and green without having the Christmas connotations. If I had a € for each time I'm being told I look Christmassy when I wear these colours in December, I'd be a rich woman ;-) xxx

      Delete
  6. Love those puffy sleeves! I've been finding quite a few pieces with that detail lately and find them very flattering.

    That is crazy that you guys found some toilet paper!

    My favourite piece is the compact. Just adorable.

    Suzanne
    http://www.suzannecarillo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suzanne! It's actually our second roll of vintage toilet paper. We are a little bit crazy, I know ;-) xxx

      Delete
  7. You find such lovely things! I used to have a tartan skirt way back in the 70s.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not one but two tartan skirts and very lovely they are on you too, you'd never guess that the first one was a fast fashion buy, it's a classic style and great fit. It's going to be in your wardrobe for a long time!
    The wrongly sized cardi is a perfect fit and I love the shoulders on the green one.
    Is that you and me on the compact?!
    That Expo 58 needs to be mounted and worn as a brooch or necklace, it's beautiful!
    I'm glad Jos isn't getting wet when he does your outfit photos, Jon is - hence the poor quality of my IG snaps and lack of blogging, bloody weather! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's definitely you and me on the compact! I kept on thinking these girls looked familiar ;-) xxx

      Delete
  9. I really like that first outfit, especially that skirt! I wouldn't have known it was fast fashion if you hadn't said, I think it was a great purchase for you! :)

    Hope that you're having a great week :) I had a fun day out shopping and a family birthday celebration dinner in the evening yesterday! :)

    Away From Blue | Handbag Gift Guide

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mica, that skirt was one of my best fast fashion buys ever! xxx

      Delete
  10. Ann, your blog is such a joy to read. I look forward to catching up on your posts.

    The 40s handmade brooches are so special. And you’re just like me- you appreciate a brightly coloured umbrella. I’ve got a huge leopard one and a small yellow one with flowers all over it. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a sweet thing to say, Jess! And I totally agree on the umbrellas, who wants to add more miserableness to a rainy day by using a boring black one? xxx

      Delete
  11. Oh and thank you for mentioning the Tutti Fruiti blog. I've just had a look and it's always a joy to discover a new vintage blog. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Jess, and I hope you enjoy Solenn's blog. She's been a source of inspiration to me over the years! xxx

      Delete
  12. How funny the loo paper! Made me laugh.

    Both skirts are very beautiful. Love how you've styled them with the pretty cardigans and jewellery. Must look out for more skirts like those myself.

    Great finds the pretty brooches and I do love the powder compact. I'm surprised you have difficulty finding vintage slips - I come across them all the time in charity shops. I even have a few (which I'm too lazy to wear) that my mum passed on to me that were hers when she was young.

    I'm not sure if I'll get a chance to read your next blog cause we're taking some time off to stay by the seaside. Thankyou so much for sharing your treasures and adventures with us. I have enjoyed reading your blog (and IG) immensely. I do hope you and Jos have all that you desire not only for Xmas, but for 2020. May God bless you both with good health and happiness. I look forward to reading your IG and blog in 2020. Speak soon, my lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have a fabulous time at the seaside, Suzy. Thank you so much for reading my blog and leaving those lovely comments of yours! I'm wishing you and your lovely family a happy and healthy 2020! xxx

      Delete
  13. Both of these outfits are fabulous, Ann! I love the colour combo in both and your gorgeous accessories. Hope you have a wonderful weekend, Ann! XXX

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always enjoy seeing what you've found at the flea markets, thanks for sharing :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. That flowered cardigan goes perfectly with the skirt. And it's great finding pottery to match stuff you already own. The fun of adding to the set!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mim, the flowered cardigan was a serendipitous find, as I'd planned to wear the skirt but didn't have a jumper that looked right with it. We're piecing together our crockery sets one item at a time. These were very popular a couple of years ago, but the tide seems to have turned now! xxx

      Delete